The more we disagree, the more chance there is that at least one of us is right.

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Is it worth it.....

SubjectAuthor
* Is it worth it.....Dave Brown
+- Is it worth it.....Andy Burns
+* Is it worth it.....ogden
|+- Is it worth it.....YTC#1
|`* Is it worth it.....Cab
| `* Is it worth it.....YTC#1
|  +* Is it worth it.....Dave Brown
|  |`- Is it worth it.....ChrisND @UKRM
|  +* Is it worth it.....Ace
|  |`* Is it worth it.....YTC#1
|  | +* Is it worth it.....Ace
|  | |`- Is it worth it.....YTC#1
|  | `* Is it worth it.....Cab
|  |  `* Is it worth it.....sweller
|  |   `- Is it worth it.....WUN
|  +* Is it worth it.....Ben Blaney
|  |+* Is it worth it.....YTC#1
|  ||`* Is it worth it.....Turby
|  || `* Is it worth it.....Pete Fisher
|  ||  `* Is it worth it.....Mark Olson
|  ||   +- Is it worth it.....Mark Olson
|  ||   `* Is it worth it.....YTC#1
|  ||    `* Is it worth it.....Mark Olson
|  ||     `- Is it worth it.....YTC#1
|  |+- Is it worth it.....Boots
|  |+* Is it worth it.....siwilson
|  ||+* Is it worth it.....wessie
|  |||`* Is it worth it.....Colin Irvine
|  ||| `* Is it worth it.....Champ
|  |||  +* Is it worth it.....Stephen Packer
|  |||  |+- Is it worth it.....Champ
|  |||  |`* Is it worth it.....YTC#1
|  |||  | +- Is it worth it.....Pipl
|  |||  | +- Is it worth it.....Turby
|  |||  | `* Is it worth it.....Champ
|  |||  |  `* Is it worth it.....YTC#1
|  |||  |   `- Is it worth it.....ogden
|  |||  +* Is it worth it.....WUN
|  |||  |+* Is it worth it.....Stephen Packer
|  |||  ||`* Is it worth it.....WUN
|  |||  || +- Is it worth it.....Champ
|  |||  || `- Is it worth it.....Buzby
|  |||  |+- Is it worth it.....Champ
|  |||  |`- Is it worth it.....Turby
|  |||  `* Is it worth it.....Turby
|  |||   `* Is it worth it.....Champ
|  |||    +* Is it worth it.....Ben Blaney
|  |||    |`* Is it worth it.....Champ
|  |||    | `- Is it worth it.....ogden
|  |||    `- Is it worth it.....Turby
|  ||+- Is it worth it.....Stephen Packer
|  ||`- Is it worth it.....Turby
|  |+- Is it worth it.....Pete
|  |+* Is it worth it.....CT
|  ||`* Is it worth it.....Ben Blaney
|  || +* Is it worth it.....wessie
|  || |`* Is it worth it.....Champ
|  || | `- Is it worth it.....Stephen Packer
|  || `* Is it worth it.....siwilson
|  ||  `- Is it worth it.....Dave Brown
|  |`- Is it worth it.....ogden
|  `* Is it worth it.....Cab
|   `- Is it worth it.....YTC#1
+* Is it worth it.....siwilson
|`* Is it worth it.....Mark Olson
| `* Is it worth it.....Ben Blaney
|  `* Is it worth it.....Mark Olson
|   `- Is it worth it.....Dave Brown
`* Is it worth it.....WUN
 `* Is it worth it.....sweller
  `- Is it worth it.....Champ

Pages:123
Is it worth it.....

<36a5b032-1918-4699-8fc3-4730908cb6a6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5414&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5414

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 08:10:32 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Is it worth it.....
From: brownieb...@googlemail.com (Dave Brown)
 by: Dave Brown - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 16:10 UTC

Just looking at flight prices for my usual xmas jolly to Hannover to see chums, drink beer and buy xmas presents at the xmas market. Usual format of a Friday out / Sunday back from LHR.

I'm still a bit shit / stupid at working out what I need to do when I get back.

I'm double stuck with certification, badge, lollipop etc. I think I need to complete a Day 2 Test and Tracing Form ? I'm assuming the latter is fairly easy. The former; do we still have to pay one of these wonderful Tory start up's to get the results wrong, or can that be done at home now via a standard nose inspection test. If it's the latter, has anyone found somewhere that won't require me assume the position and bite down on a corn on the cob money wise ?

Re: Is it worth it.....

<iut1k0F37pvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5415&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5415

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: Is it worth it.....
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 16:29:52 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 16:29 UTC

Dave Brown wrote:

> or can that be done at home now via a standard nose inspection test

AFAIK, the test is now an LFT rather than PCR, but it specifically can't be one
of the LFTs dished out willy-nilly by the NHS.

Re: Is it worth it.....

<b5c2b342-7eb0-4634-9c11-ffc661e1184bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5417&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5417

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 09:10:50 -0800 (PST)
From: elda...@gmail.com (ogden)
 by: ogden - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 17:10 UTC

browni...@googlemail.com wrote:
> Just looking at flight prices for my usual xmas jolly to Hannover to see chums, drink beer and buy xmas presents at the xmas market. Usual format of a Friday out / Sunday back from LHR.
>
> I'm still a bit shit / stupid at working out what I need to do when I get back.
>
> I'm double stuck with certification, badge, lollipop etc. I think I need to complete a Day 2 Test and Tracing Form ? I'm assuming the latter is fairly easy.

It's pretty easy, if a bit long-winded. I got back from Spain yesterday.

1. Find a day-2 test provider. You can't use the NHS track & trace tests, it needs to be the day-2 service and you can use a lateral flow test now rather than the more expensive PCR. We used Collinson. The test kit is physically identical to the ones from the NHS, but the service around it differs.
2. Order a day-2 test and make a note of the reference number on your order confirmation.
3. Get an NHS Covid Pass showing your vaccination status (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/covid-pass/). Download or print off the cert with the QR code.
4. Fly to Germany - you may need to show your Covid Pass (and German entry paperwork?) if prompted at the airport
5. No more than 2 days before you return (so on the Friday or Saturday), fill in the Passenger Locator form, and enter the test reference in the relevant box. You'll also need to scan in the QR code for your second jab on the Covid Pass. The form takes a while but you can do it on a phone and they'll email you the results as a PDF with yet another QR code.
6. Fly back - you'll almost certainly have to show your Covid Pass and Passenger Locator form at the airport before boarding, most likely at check-in/bag-drop.
7. Take the day-2 test within 48 hours of arrival, and follow the instructions you're given for uploading the results

You'll also need to check what the krauts want you to do before flying out. I've no idea what the German system is, but if it's anything like Spain you'll need to fill in some more forms, and they might want your Covid Pass at some point, and there'll be yet another fucking QR code for someone to scan at some point. I'd also recommend having paper copies of everything, because it's easier to shove a load of A4 at someone than keep hunting for files on your phone.

Re: Is it worth it.....

<iut6jdF496qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5418&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5418

From: siwil...@nodamnspam.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 17:54:53 +0000
 by: siwilson - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 17:54 UTC

On 08/11/2021 16:10, Dave Brown wrote:
> Just looking at flight prices for my usual xmas jolly to Hannover to see chums, drink beer and buy xmas presents at the xmas market. Usual format of a Friday out / Sunday back from LHR.
>
> I'm still a bit shit / stupid at working out what I need to do when I get back.
>
> I'm double stuck with certification, badge, lollipop etc. I think I need to complete a Day 2 Test and Tracing Form ? I'm assuming the latter is fairly easy. The former; do we still have to pay one of these wonderful Tory start up's to get the results wrong, or can that be done at home now via a standard nose inspection test. If it's the latter, has anyone found somewhere that won't require me assume the position and bite down on a corn on the cob money wise ?

For the day 2 coming home: https://www.simplytestme.co.uk/ £12 but, you
need to book plenty of time in advance 'cos they ony have a limited
number of slots. I left it too late and found another for around 18 quid.

--
/Simon

Re: Is it worth it.....

<smbs3o$jja$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5421&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5421

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 19:00:08 +0000
 by: YTC#1 - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 19:00 UTC

On 08/11/2021 17:10, ogden wrote:
> browni...@googlemail.com wrote:
>> Just looking at flight prices for my usual xmas jolly to Hannover to see chums, drink beer and buy xmas presents at the xmas market. Usual format of a Friday out / Sunday back from LHR.
>>
>> I'm still a bit shit / stupid at working out what I need to do when I get back.
>>
>> I'm double stuck with certification, badge, lollipop etc. I think I need to complete a Day 2 Test and Tracing Form ? I'm assuming the latter is fairly easy.
>
> It's pretty easy, if a bit long-winded. I got back from Spain yesterday.
>
> 1. Find a day-2 test provider. You can't use the NHS track & trace tests, it needs to be the day-2 service and you can use a lateral flow test now rather than the more expensive PCR. We used Collinson. The test kit is physically identical to the ones from the NHS, but the service around it differs.

I used Boots. £21. Arrived in 2 days so was there when I got home.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

Re: Is it worth it.....

<smbss9$i7u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5422&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5422

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 19:13:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 19:13 UTC

siwilson <siwilson@nodamnspam.hotmail.com> wrote:

> For the day 2 coming home: https://www.simplytestme.co.uk/ £12 but, you
> need to book plenty of time in advance 'cos they ony have a limited
> number of slots. I left it too late and found another for around 18 quid.

'P' and I bought our Day 2 test kits from Nationwide Pathology for
our upcoming trip this weekend, worked great for me when I came over
for TOG's funeral and it's now less than half the price. Having it
mailed to our London hotel (fingers crossed) as I did last time to
the Premier Inn. Self-administered.

Fully vaccinated Day 2 test kit, laminar flow, £18.

https://nwp-online.co.uk/fully-vaccinated-day-2

Surprisingly, there seems to be no pre-flight requirement that we
be tested, which is a new thing to me. Just have to fill out the UK
passenger locator form, and a form for Iceland since we're flying
Icelandair and stopping at KEF.

Before we return to the USA, we'll probably get tested at somewhere
like Dam Health at 35 Wellesley Rd near the West Croydon station.

PS If anyone's free for a beer they'll be on me. First 3 nights in
that London, near the Russell Square tube, then heading to Salisbury
to gawp at the lithic calendar, and after that, somewhere else.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: Is it worth it.....

<6da579f2-fd5f-4656-90af-b655a00f1d2cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5424&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5424

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 14:11:13 -0800 (PST)
From: benbla...@gmail.com (Ben Blaney)
 by: Ben Blaney - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 22:11 UTC

On Monday, November 8, 2021 at 2:13:15 PM UTC-5, Mark Olson wrote:

> PS If anyone's free for a beer they'll be on me. First 3 nights in
> that London, near the Russell Square tube, then heading to Salisbury
> to gawp at the lithic calendar, and after that, somewhere else.

Unclear if the "somewhere else" is a secret, or as yet undecided. if the latter, I'd probably advocate for Oxford, which is one of the most handsome towns in Europe plus gives the possibility of a beer with Dr Will and PowerGraingers - both of whom are about the best company in all of UKRM.[0]

[0] No offence to the rest of these twats.

Re: Is it worth it.....

<smc874$gj0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5426&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5426

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 22:26:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 22:26 UTC

Ben Blaney <benblaney@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, November 8, 2021 at 2:13:15 PM UTC-5, Mark Olson wrote:
>
>> PS If anyone's free for a beer they'll be on me. First 3 nights in
>> that London, near the Russell Square tube, then heading to Salisbury
>> to gawp at the lithic calendar, and after that, somewhere else.
>
> Unclear if the "somewhere else" is a secret, or as yet undecided.
> if the latter, I'd probably advocate for Oxford, which is one of the
> most handsome towns in Europe plus gives the possibility of a beer
> with Dr Will and PowerGraingers - both of whom are about the best
> company in all of UKRM.[0]

Not a secret, and having shared a few beers with Dr G., I can attest
to his conviviality. Since 'P' has never been to the UK, everywhere's
a viable target right now.

> [0] No offence to the rest of these twats.

None taken, I'm sure.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: Is it worth it.....

<3a8bba29-1d2f-4ea1-8eaf-04c0188a8297n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5436&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5436

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 04:51:14 -0800 (PST)
From: brownieb...@googlemail.com (Dave Brown)
 by: Dave Brown - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 12:51 UTC

On Monday, November 8, 2021 at 10:26:46 PM UTC, Mark Olson wrote:
> Ben Blaney <benb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Monday, November 8, 2021 at 2:13:15 PM UTC-5, Mark Olson wrote:
> >
> >> PS If anyone's free for a beer they'll be on me. First 3 nights in
> >> that London, near the Russell Square tube, then heading to Salisbury
> >> to gawp at the lithic calendar, and after that, somewhere else.
> >
> > Unclear if the "somewhere else" is a secret, or as yet undecided.
> > if the latter, I'd probably advocate for Oxford, which is one of the
> > most handsome towns in Europe plus gives the possibility of a beer
> > with Dr Will and PowerGraingers - both of whom are about the best
> > company in all of UKRM.[0]
> Not a secret, and having shared a few beers with Dr G., I can attest
> to his conviviality. Since 'P' has never been to the UK, everywhere's
> a viable target right now.
> > [0] No offence to the rest of these twats.
> None taken, I'm sure.

Also, if coming from London the prices won't come as a shock.... ;-)

Thanks to all that responded, very helpful indeed.

Re: Is it worth it.....

<xn0n5anp3hacp1o003@www.rosbif.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5486&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5486

From: me...@privacy.net (Cab)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 13:59:53 +0000
 by: Cab - Fri, 12 Nov 2021 13:59 UTC

ogden wibbled:

> It's pretty easy, if a bit long-winded. I got back from Spain
> yesterday.
>
> 1. Find a day-2 test provider. You can't use the NHS track & trace
> tests, it needs to be the day-2 service and you can use a lateral
> flow test now rather than the more expensive PCR. We used Collinson.
> The test kit is physically identical to the ones from the NHS, but
> the service around it differs. 2. Order a day-2 test and make a note
> of the reference number on your order confirmation. 3. Get an NHS
> Covid Pass showing your vaccination status
> (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/covid-pass/).
> Download or print off the cert with the QR code. 4. Fly to Germany -
> you may need to show your Covid Pass (and German entry paperwork?) if
> prompted at the airport 5. No more than 2 days before you return (so
> on the Friday or Saturday), fill in the Passenger Locator form, and
> enter the test reference in the relevant box. You'll also need to
> scan in the QR code for your second jab on the Covid Pass. The form
> takes a while but you can do it on a phone and they'll email you the
> results as a PDF with yet another QR code. 6. Fly back - you'll
> almost certainly have to show your Covid Pass and Passenger Locator
> form at the airport before boarding, most likely at
> check-in/bag-drop. 7. Take the day-2 test within 48 hours of
> arrival, and follow the instructions you're given for uploading the
> results
>
> You'll also need to check what the krauts want you to do before
> flying out. I've no idea what the German system is, but if it's
> anything like Spain you'll need to fill in some more forms, and they
> might want your Covid Pass at some point, and there'll be yet another
> fucking QR code for someone to scan at some point. I'd also recommend
> having paper copies of everything, because it's easier to shove a
> load of A4 at someone than keep hunting for files on your phone.

Yeah, this.

My Mum went back to the UK today and it was pretty much all of this.

+1 for printing out the forms too, as it's a PITA to have to faff about
with the stuff on the phone.

--
Cab
Z1000 and CB1300 and VeloSolex 3800

Re: Is it worth it.....

<smlu1i$ni7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5490&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5490

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 14:34:26 +0000
 by: YTC#1 - Fri, 12 Nov 2021 14:34 UTC

On 12/11/2021 13:59, Cab wrote:
> ogden wibbled:
>
>> It's pretty easy, if a bit long-winded. I got back from Spain
>> yesterday.
>>
>> 1. Find a day-2 test provider. You can't use the NHS track & trace
>> tests, it needs to be the day-2 service and you can use a lateral
>> flow test now rather than the more expensive PCR. We used Collinson.
>> The test kit is physically identical to the ones from the NHS, but
>> the service around it differs. 2. Order a day-2 test and make a note
>> of the reference number on your order confirmation. 3. Get an NHS
>> Covid Pass showing your vaccination status
>> (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/covid-pass/).
>> Download or print off the cert with the QR code. 4. Fly to Germany -
>> you may need to show your Covid Pass (and German entry paperwork?) if
>> prompted at the airport 5. No more than 2 days before you return (so
>> on the Friday or Saturday), fill in the Passenger Locator form, and
>> enter the test reference in the relevant box. You'll also need to
>> scan in the QR code for your second jab on the Covid Pass. The form
>> takes a while but you can do it on a phone and they'll email you the
>> results as a PDF with yet another QR code. 6. Fly back - you'll
>> almost certainly have to show your Covid Pass and Passenger Locator
>> form at the airport before boarding, most likely at
>> check-in/bag-drop. 7. Take the day-2 test within 48 hours of
>> arrival, and follow the instructions you're given for uploading the
>> results
>>
>> You'll also need to check what the krauts want you to do before
>> flying out. I've no idea what the German system is, but if it's
>> anything like Spain you'll need to fill in some more forms, and they
>> might want your Covid Pass at some point, and there'll be yet another
>> fucking QR code for someone to scan at some point. I'd also recommend
>> having paper copies of everything, because it's easier to shove a
>> load of A4 at someone than keep hunting for files on your phone.
>
> Yeah, this.
>
> My Mum went back to the UK today and it was pretty much all of this.
>
> +1 for printing out the forms too, as it's a PITA to have to faff about
> with the stuff on the phone.

Am I the only one who has found using the phone (downloaded PDF) easier
than faffing with bit of paper?
It is usually me that is resistant to change.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: Is it worth it.....

<1fe8a794-29e8-460a-b9d5-2f41a31643den@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5494&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5494

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 07:29:42 -0800 (PST)
From: brownieb...@googlemail.com (Dave Brown)
 by: Dave Brown - Fri, 12 Nov 2021 15:29 UTC

On Friday, November 12, 2021 at 2:34:28 PM UTC, YTC#1 wrote:
> On 12/11/2021 13:59, Cab wrote:
> > ogden wibbled:
> >
> >> It's pretty easy, if a bit long-winded. I got back from Spain
> >> yesterday.
> > Schnippety Schnip
> >
> Am I the only one who has found using the phone (downloaded PDF) easier
> than faffing with bit of paper?
> It is usually me that is resistant to change.
> --

You mean you haven't approached the local GPO office to Gestetner them on to vellum for you yet ?

Re: Is it worth it.....

<ir2togdhs4rbaas1sldfqiasn8sbdt1q18@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5495&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5495

From: Ace...@ch.com (Ace)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 16:46:33 +0100
 by: Ace - Fri, 12 Nov 2021 15:46 UTC

On Fri, 12 Nov 2021 14:34:26 +0000, YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 12/11/2021 13:59, Cab wrote:
>> ogden wibbled:
>>> I'd also recommend
>>> having paper copies of everything, because it's easier to shove a
>>> load of A4 at someone than keep hunting for files on your phone.
>>
>> Yeah, this.
>>
>> My Mum went back to the UK today and it was pretty much all of this.
>>
>> +1 for printing out the forms too, as it's a PITA to have to faff about
>> with the stuff on the phone.
>>

>Am I the only one who has found using the phone (downloaded PDF) easier
>than faffing with bit of paper?
>It is usually me that is resistant to change.

My wife went over the the UK last week, everything was electronic, I
don't think she had, or needed, a single paper copy of anything.
Similarly when we went to Crete earlier in the year, pre vaccine, but
all test certs were delivered electronically.

Seriously, it's not that hard to just put all the pdfs in one folder,
is it? Certainly no more so than printing them.

--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Re: Is it worth it.....

<iv7kn0F48sbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5496&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5496

From: chri...@privacy.net (ChrisND @UKRM)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 16:57:04 +0000
 by: ChrisND @UKRM - Fri, 12 Nov 2021 16:57 UTC

On 12/11/2021 15:29, Dave Brown wrote:
> On Friday, November 12, 2021 at 2:34:28 PM UTC, YTC#1 wrote:
>> On 12/11/2021 13:59, Cab wrote:
>>> ogden wibbled:

>>> Schnippety Schnip
>>>
>> Am I the only one who has found using the phone (downloaded PDF) easier
>> than faffing with bit of paper?
>> It is usually me that is resistant to change.
>> --
>
> You mean you haven't approached the local GPO office to Gestetner them on to vellum for you yet ?

I must admit, on a different mission obvs, I went to the post orifice
yesterday and asked for an 'Airmail letter to Australia, please'.
Apparently they haven't done those for about 10 years!
So, I cam away with a suitable stamp and a sticker :-)

The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t
http://www.Deuchars.org.uk

Re: Is it worth it.....

<smm7sv$2qe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5497&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5497

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 17:22:39 +0000
 by: YTC#1 - Fri, 12 Nov 2021 17:22 UTC

On 12/11/2021 15:46, Ace wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2021 14:34:26 +0000, YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> On 12/11/2021 13:59, Cab wrote:
>>> ogden wibbled:
>>>
>>> Yeah, this.
>>>
>>> My Mum went back to the UK today and it was pretty much all of this.
>>>
>>> +1 for printing out the forms too, as it's a PITA to have to faff about
>>> with the stuff on the phone.
>>>

>> Am I the only one who has found using the phone (downloaded PDF) easier
>> than faffing with bit of paper?
>> It is usually me that is resistant to change.
>
> My wife went over the the UK last week, everything was electronic, I
> don't think she had, or needed, a single paper copy of anything.
> Similarly when we went to Crete earlier in the year, pre vaccine, but
> all test certs were delivered electronically.
>
> Seriously, it's not that hard to just put all the pdfs in one folder,
> is it? Certainly no more so than printing them.

And I don't use cash anymore. Surprised myself with how easy I found it
to switch.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: Is it worth it.....

<0cab4e09-daa5-42ba-8eb9-682d62e66b05n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5508&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5508

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 13:38:21 -0800 (PST)
From: benbla...@gmail.com (Ben Blaney)
 by: Ben Blaney - Fri, 12 Nov 2021 21:38 UTC

On Friday, November 12, 2021 at 9:34:28 AM UTC-5, YTC#1 wrote:

> Am I the only one who has found using the phone (downloaded PDF) easier
> than faffing with bit of paper?
> It is usually me that is resistant to change.

Opposite. When I went to the UK in May, when the requirement was proving a negative test, and a purchase of day 2 and day 8, and an optional purchase of a day 5 "test to release", and something else and something else....the people who did it on their phones were there forever searching...."oh, that document was that attached to an email, let me find it, oh that other document is in my dropbox...what folder did I put it in", turning up the screen brightness, zooming in on the document, blah blah blah. Now, all that is related to one's own document organization capabilities, of course. And I had all that done, but I also printed them all, stapled the sections together, wrote in ink on the top what each was, organized them in sequential order. I think I was the quickest through the process of anyone I saw.

On a similar note, I still take a paper boarding pass when I fly. And I take ~150 flights a year. Why? Because the twats who hold up the boarding process are those who are multi-tasking, can't operate their telephone, have run out of battery, have their screen brightness turned down, can't zoom properly. I scan and go, first time, every time.

I consider myself a reasonably early adopter, and I consider myself adaptive and tech-friendly. But there are times when old-tech (paper) has many many advantages, and few disadvantages.

Re: Is it worth it.....

<smmog2$s2l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5509&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5509

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 22:05:53 +0000
 by: YTC#1 - Fri, 12 Nov 2021 22:05 UTC

On 12/11/2021 21:38, Ben Blaney wrote:
> On Friday, November 12, 2021 at 9:34:28 AM UTC-5, YTC#1 wrote:
>
>> Am I the only one who has found using the phone (downloaded PDF) easier
>> than faffing with bit of paper?
>> It is usually me that is resistant to change.
>
> Opposite. When I went to the UK in May, when the requirement was proving a negative test, and a purchase of day 2 and day 8, and an optional purchase of a day 5 "test to release", and something else and something else....the people who did it on their phones were there forever searching...."oh, that document was that attached to an email, let me find it, oh that other document is in my dropbox...what folder did I put it in", turning up the screen brightness, zooming in on the document, blah blah blah. Now, all that is related to one's own document organization capabilities, of course. And I had all that done, but I also printed them all, stapled the sections together, wrote in ink on the top what each was, organized them in sequential order. I think I was the quickest through the process of anyone I saw.

Hmm, I don't stick in folders as such.
I download to Downloads (yes I know a "folder"). and then open the PDF
from there just before it is required.

I suspect the people taht can't work out where they saved it would also
be rifeling through sheets of paper at the kiosk as well (which is what
I witnessed at Santander).

> On a similar note, I still take a paper boarding pass when I fly. And I take ~150 flights a year. Why? Because the twats who hold up the boarding process are those who are multi-tasking, can't operate their telephone, have run out of battery, have their screen brightness turned down, can't zoom properly. I scan and go, first time, every time.

I'll go with that one. But I did use my phone when regularly fying to
Belfast back in 2018->2020. As I had no printer to print off check-in
for return journy. Never had an issue with it.

> I consider myself a reasonably early adopter, and I consider myself adaptive and tech-friendly. But there are times when old-tech (paper) has many many advantages, and few disadvantages.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: Is it worth it.....

<635beb6c-838b-4fba-842b-9b07eaa7510cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5513&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5513

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 14:31:50 -0800 (PST)
From: nigel.ea...@gmail.com (WUN)
 by: WUN - Fri, 12 Nov 2021 22:31 UTC

I don't know about this travel stuff, but I'd like to thank you for the title of this thread
which sparked the synapse that led me to Elvis Costello's sublime "Shipbuilding" after
many years.

--
WUN

Re: Is it worth it.....

<0qe36i-ka9.ln1@bilbo.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5517&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5517

From: new...@millhouse-communications.co.uk (Boots)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 08:51:44 +0800
 by: Boots - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 00:51 UTC

On 13/11/2021 05:38 Ben Blaney penned these words:
> On a similar note, I still take a paper boarding pass when I fly. And I take ~150 flights a year.

When I was travelling in/out of Mumbai to get into departures you had to be on a
flight, armed soldiers outside who would insist on paper copies. I was taking
way less flights than you but I still print out the paper, usually it ends up
binned but every now and again saves a whole load of hassle.

--
Ian

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of
the last priest"

Re: Is it worth it.....

<t23vog12u735qg145a6rqvis7vvn57aguk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5523&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5523

From: Ace...@ch.com (Ace)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 11:07:36 +0100
 by: Ace - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 10:07 UTC

On Fri, 12 Nov 2021 17:22:39 +0000, YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 12/11/2021 15:46, Ace wrote:

>> My wife went over the the UK last week, everything was electronic, I
>> don't think she had, or needed, a single paper copy of anything.
>> Similarly when we went to Crete earlier in the year, pre vaccine, but
>> all test certs were delivered electronically.
>>
>> Seriously, it's not that hard to just put all the pdfs in one folder,
>> is it? Certainly no more so than printing them.
>>

>And I don't use cash anymore. Surprised myself with how easy I found it
>to switch.

I still use it sometimes in CH, notably for stuff like paying our
local mechanic for helping me out yesterday after I got stuck with a
broken tool - clearly bot worth him doing an official invoice for an
hours work, so 100chuffs cash in hand it was.

I still occasionally get guests who want to pay in cash (which is fine
by me as it saves a CC transaction charge) and there's always a
tourist tax I need to collect from them, so I do tend to have some
bundles of cash money in envelopes, and occasionally get round to
using some of it up, but otherwise I could be comnpletely cash free
with no problem.

My wife said yesterday that she didn't use cash the whole time (10
days) she was in the UK, didn't even have any UK money with her.

--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Re: Is it worth it.....

<iv9kd8FforuU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5526&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5526

From: siwil...@nodamnspam.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 11:04:09 +0000
 by: siwilson - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 11:04 UTC

On 12/11/2021 21:38, Ben Blaney wrote:
> On Friday, November 12, 2021 at 9:34:28 AM UTC-5, YTC#1 wrote:
>
>> Am I the only one who has found using the phone (downloaded PDF) easier
>> than faffing with bit of paper?
>> It is usually me that is resistant to change.
>
> Opposite. When I went to the UK in May, when the requirement was proving a negative test, and a purchase of day 2 and day 8, and an optional purchase of a day 5 "test to release", and something else and something else....the people who did it on their phones were there forever searching...."oh, that document was that attached to an email, let me find it, oh that other document is in my dropbox...what folder did I put it in", turning up the screen brightness, zooming in on the document, blah blah blah. Now, all that is related to one's own document organization capabilities, of course. And I had all that done, but I also printed them all, stapled the sections together, wrote in ink on the top what each was, organized them in sequential order. I think I was the quickest through the process of anyone I saw.
>
> On a similar note, I still take a paper boarding pass when I fly. And I take ~150 flights a year. Why? Because the twats who hold up the boarding process are those who are multi-tasking, can't operate their telephone, have run out of battery, have their screen brightness turned down, can't zoom properly. I scan and go, first time, every time.
>
> I consider myself a reasonably early adopter, and I consider myself adaptive and tech-friendly. But there are times when old-tech (paper) has many many advantages, and few disadvantages.

+100

But I don't fly anymore[1], just the ferry now.

[1] or really expect to
--
/Simon

Re: Is it worth it.....

<XnsADE176AC2D09Fwtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5527&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5527

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 11:39:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 11:39 UTC

siwilson <siwilson@nodamnspam.hotmail.com> wrote in

> +100
>
> But I don't fly anymore[1], just the ferry now.
>
> [1] or really expect to

AOL

never being a frequent flyer, I hated airports on those occasional trips,
usually with my son. Even before Covid I had given up on flying and now, I
am even less inclined to fly.

I have booked a couple of trips for next year, using ferries or tunnel.

Re: Is it worth it.....

<3jcvog9radflgjamhjo6hdv26lcbe6hqqp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5531&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5531

From: pem...@btmungeinternet.com (Pete)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 13:47:51 +0100
 by: Pete - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 12:47 UTC

On Fri, 12 Nov 2021 13:38:21 -0800 (PST), Ben Blaney
<benblaney@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, November 12, 2021 at 9:34:28 AM UTC-5, YTC#1 wrote:
>
>> Am I the only one who has found using the phone (downloaded PDF) easier
>> than faffing with bit of paper?
>> It is usually me that is resistant to change.
>
>Opposite. When I went to the UK in May, when the requirement was proving a negative test, and a purchase of day 2 and day 8, and an optional purchase of a day 5 "test to release", and something else and something else....the people who did it on their phones were there forever searching...."oh, that document was that attached to an email, let me find it, oh that other document is in my dropbox...what folder did I put it in", turning up the screen brightness, zooming in on the document, blah blah blah. Now, all that is related to one's own document organization capabilities, of course. And I had all that done, but I also printed them all, stapled the sections together, wrote in ink on the top what each was, organized them in sequential order. I think I was the quickest through the process of anyone I saw.
>
>On a similar note, I still take a paper boarding pass when I fly. And I take ~150 flights a year. Why? Because the twats who hold up the boarding process are those who are multi-tasking, can't operate their telephone, have run out of battery, have their screen brightness turned down, can't zoom properly. I scan and go, first time, every time.
>
>I consider myself a reasonably early adopter, and I consider myself adaptive and tech-friendly. But there are times when old-tech (paper) has many many advantages, and few disadvantages.

This. Although others' inability to manage things shouldn't impact on
your own capability, it's at least as straightfoward to shove a piece
of paper in front of someone or a machine as it is to fumble with a
phone. Keep a backup on the phone, but the faffing about by some
people who don't know what is wanted when, and can't find the right
document at the right time, makes the process more longwinded than the
old way.

If it were as simple as two years ago, when the sole requirement was
for a boarding pass only, then there's a much better case for relying
on an electronic copy. Now their main gain is if they can be
pre-loaded (as per Ryanair at least seem to allow).

--

Pete
Garage vacancy now filled, N+1 incremented accordingly

Re: Is it worth it.....

<smociq$j86$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5532&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5532

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 12:54:50 +0000
 by: YTC#1 - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 12:54 UTC

On 13/11/2021 10:07, Ace wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2021 17:22:39 +0000, YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> On 12/11/2021 15:46, Ace wrote:
>
>>> My wife went over the the UK last week, everything was electronic, I
>>> don't think she had, or needed, a single paper copy of anything.
>>> Similarly when we went to Crete earlier in the year, pre vaccine, but
>>> all test certs were delivered electronically.
>>>
>>> Seriously, it's not that hard to just put all the pdfs in one folder,
>>> is it? Certainly no more so than printing them.
>>>

>> And I don't use cash anymore. Surprised myself with how easy I found it
>> to switch.
>
> I still use it sometimes in CH, notably for stuff like paying our
> local mechanic for helping me out yesterday after I got stuck with a
> broken tool - clearly bot worth him doing an official invoice for an
> hours work, so 100chuffs cash in hand it was.
>
> I still occasionally get guests who want to pay in cash (which is fine
> by me as it saves a CC transaction charge) and there's always a
> tourist tax I need to collect from them, so I do tend to have some
> bundles of cash money in envelopes, and occasionally get round to
> using some of it up, but otherwise I could be comnpletely cash free
> with no problem.
>
> My wife said yesterday that she didn't use cash the whole time (10
> days) she was in the UK, didn't even have any UK money with her.

On my recent jaunt to France/Spain I took out 50 euros in Bordeaux "for
emergency". Then had to remember to use it before I left, cash just not
needed.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: Is it worth it.....

<iv9tgrFhh8aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5538&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5538

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 13 Nov 2021 13:39:40 GMT
 by: sweller - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 13:39 UTC

WUN wrote:

> Elvis Costello's sublime "Shipbuilding"

For reasons I can't quite recall, I have always loathed that song [1].

Now I've got Robert Wyatt whining in my head.

[1] It's the style, not the content.

--
Simon