Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 9 May 2021 09:04:55 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: OT: Driver jailed for 18 years for killing two cyclists
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Sun, 9 May 2021 16:04 UTC

On Saturday, 8 May 2021 at 11:51:54 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>
> After the 22-year-old struck a plea deal a judge sentenced him to between 9 to 40 years in prison on each count.
>
> Miettinen must serve at least 18 of those years before becoming eligible for parole, and could potentially spend all 80 years behind bars.
>
> The judge also ordered him to pay a total of $250,200 (£179,040) in compensation.
>
> The collision, which took place on 26 June 2020, occurred in London Township, Michigan, Outside Online report. (link is external)
>
> Miettinen is reported to have been driving recklessly when he hit Huling and Williamson—he swerved, struck them, and then sped away.
>
> His speed was in excess of 60 miles per hour; the speed limit on that street is 45 mph.
>
> The investigation showed that Miettinen had been smoking marijuana earlier in the day, though intoxication could not be proven.
>
> Huling and Williamson were a young couple who loved exploring the rivers and trails near their home in Ypsilanti, Michigan and had just signed a lease to move in together.
>
> The Friday afternoon they were killed by Miettinen in his Mercury Mountaineer SUV, the pair were riding their bikes from Huling’s parents’ home, where they had been pet-sitting, into town to get some food.
>
> Matthew Williamson, Melissa's dad, is also a keen cyclist and had been training with his daughter for the 328-mile Pan Ohio Hope Ride in the weeks leading up to her death.
>
> He said: “No amount of time will bring our daughters back."
>
> However, he acknowledged the rarity of the length of the custodial sentence: “As a cyclist myself, I am all too aware that many individuals are under-prosecuted in these circumstances.
>
> “Sometimes it is due to lack of existing case law. Other times it is because of an underlying perception that bikes have no business on the road.”
>
> In an impact statement, Kerri Williamson, Melissa’s mother, wrote that the average life expectancy for a woman today is 76 years.
>
> She continued: “So, in my opinion, Ryan stole 51 years of Melissa’s life and 47 from Coleen.
>
> "Even if he had been sentenced to 98 years in prison it would not have been an ‘eye for an eye.’
>
> "He will continue to get to have contact with those he loves. I can’t say that I am ‘happy’, because I feel that is doing an injustice to my daughter and Coleen, but it is what I had hoped for.”
>
> Between 1971 and 2019, there were 132 cyclists killed by drivers in the Washington, D.C., area, and 87 percent of the drivers weren’t charged with a crime. Only 8 percent served time.
>
> Megan Hottman, an attorney in Golden, Colorado, who has been handling cycling cases for 11 years, said: “In general, the criminal-justice system looks at cycling cases—meaning a driver hitting a cyclist—as ‘just an accident...
>
> “It’s so significant when a judge shows a case like this the attention it deserves."

That is justice.

In the UK the Judge would say a cyclist momentarily mounted the pavement to avoid me in self preservation as I was speeding through a red light so all cyclists are pavement riding scofflaws who don't pay road tax so the driver is innocent.

Re: OT: Driver jailed for 18 years for killing two cyclists

<d85ec922-8cba-4af3-93c9-b517131ca8c2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=542&group=uk.rec.cycling#542

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 9 May 2021 10:04:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 9 May 2021 17:04 UTC

On Sunday, May 9, 2021 at 5:04:56 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:

> > https://road.cc/content/news/driver-jailed-18-years-killing-two-cyclists-283171
> That is justice.
>
> In the UK the Judge would say a cyclist momentarily mounted the pavement to avoid me in self preservation as I was speeding through a red light so all cyclists are pavement riding scofflaws who don't pay road tax so the driver is innocent.

A sentence like this in the UK would certainly cause shockwaves through the Daily Mail reading Mr Toads.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: OT: Driver jailed for 18 years for killing two cyclists