Your daily dietary values may be higher or lower depending on your caloric needs.

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Things I learned on Sunday

SubjectAuthor
* Things I learned on SundayPete Fisher
+- Things I learned on SundayColin Irvine
+* Things I learned on SundayChamp
|+* Things I learned on SundayStephen Packer
||+- Things I learned on SundayPete Fisher
||`* Things I learned on SundayMark Olson
|| +- Things I learned on Sundaycentral77
|| +* Things I learned on SundayChamp
|| |`* Things I learned on SundayHiggins
|| | `* Things I learned on SundayColin Irvine
|| |  `- Things I learned on SundayChamp
|| `* Things I learned on Sundaysiwilson
||  +* Things I learned on SundayCT
||  |`* Things I learned on SundayStephen Packer
||  | +* Things I learned on SundayAce
||  | |`- Things I learned on SundayTurby
||  | `- Things I learned on SundayYTC#1
||  `- Things I learned on SundayStephen Packer
|`- Things I learned on SundayMike Fleming
+* Things I learned on SundayMark Olson
|`* Things I learned on SundayAce
| `- Things I learned on SundayMark Olson
`* Things I learned on SundayPipl
 `- Things I learned on SundayPete Fisher

1
Things I learned on Sunday

<iuunbeFd398U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5430&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5430

From: pet...@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Things I learned on Sunday
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 07:46:55 +0000
 by: Pete Fisher - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 07:46 UTC

1. 1930's tobacco tin brakes can still lock your wheels on
grit/mud/grass if confronted by an approaching 'Clarkson's Farm' size
tractor on a very narrow lane. A gentle unplanned laying down on the
grass verge ensued, but no harm done and I even got it started again.

2. Chronometric speedos (well new ones) are surprisingly accurate. If
anything about 1.5 mph pessimistic at 40mph according to my Beeline.

3. Nearly 4500 rpm (as indicated by a digital tacho) feels very busy and
in to "I dinna think she can tek much more" territory on a long stroke
Sunbeam. The January 1937 'Motorcycling' road tester that claimed 65 mph
at 5700 revs top whack must have had a lot less mechanical sympathy than
me. Or, TBF, perhaps at 84 years old the 250 has lost some of its sparkle.

4. A high level sports pipe looks lovely, but the position of the heat
shield needs adjusting from standard if attired in modern Goretex trews.

--
Moto Morini 2C/375, Moto Morini 2C/350
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen

Re: Things I learned on Sunday

<32hkogtq6v26m02d9v8ued7n9cjqobae4r@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5432&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5432

From: loo...@colinandpat.co.uk (Colin Irvine)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: Things I learned on Sunday
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 09:50:03 +0000
 by: Colin Irvine - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 09:50 UTC

On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 07:46:55 +0000, Pete Fisher
<peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>1. 1930's tobacco tin brakes can still lock your wheels on
>grit/mud/grass if confronted by an approaching 'Clarkson's Farm' size
>tractor on a very narrow lane. A gentle unplanned laying down on the
>grass verge ensued, but no harm done and I even got it started again.
>
>2. Chronometric speedos (well new ones) are surprisingly accurate. If
>anything about 1.5 mph pessimistic at 40mph according to my Beeline.
>
>3. Nearly 4500 rpm (as indicated by a digital tacho) feels very busy and
>in to "I dinna think she can tek much more" territory on a long stroke
>Sunbeam. The January 1937 'Motorcycling' road tester that claimed 65 mph
>at 5700 revs top whack must have had a lot less mechanical sympathy than
>me. Or, TBF, perhaps at 84 years old the 250 has lost some of its sparkle.
>
>4. A high level sports pipe looks lovely, but the position of the heat
>shield needs adjusting from standard if attired in modern Goretex trews.

<g>

--
Colin Irvine
FJR1300A

Re: Things I learned on Sunday

<8kjkogl67p4tp9qpeffbap84ea8f2tmvhh@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5435&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5435

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 10:35:23 +0000
 by: Champ - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 10:35 UTC

On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 07:46:55 +0000, Pete Fisher
<peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>1. 1930's tobacco tin brakes can still lock your wheels on
>grit/mud/grass if confronted by an approaching 'Clarkson's Farm' size
>tractor on a very narrow lane. A gentle unplanned laying down on the
>grass verge ensued, but no harm done and I even got it started again.

!!!

Do be careful, James

>2. Chronometric speedos (well new ones) are surprisingly accurate. If
>anything about 1.5 mph pessimistic at 40mph according to my Beeline.
>
>3. Nearly 4500 rpm (as indicated by a digital tacho) feels very busy and
>in to "I dinna think she can tek much more" territory on a long stroke
>Sunbeam. The January 1937 'Motorcycling' road tester that claimed 65 mph
>at 5700 revs top whack must have had a lot less mechanical sympathy than
>me. Or, TBF, perhaps at 84 years old the 250 has lost some of its sparkle.

Or perhaps motorcycle journalists exaggerating for their readers has a
very long tradition

>4. A high level sports pipe looks lovely, but the position of the heat
>shield needs adjusting from standard if attired in modern Goretex trews.

heh
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: Things I learned on Sunday

<f8041a3b-9a6d-49a6-a58e-340665ba4ceen@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5438&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5438

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 04:58:28 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 12:58 UTC

On Tuesday, 9 November 2021 at 10:35:26 UTC, Champ wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 07:46:55 +0000, Pete Fisher
> >3. Nearly 4500 rpm (as indicated by a digital tacho) feels very busy and
> >in to "I dinna think she can tek much more" territory on a long stroke
> >Sunbeam. The January 1937 'Motorcycling' road tester that claimed 65 mph
> >at 5700 revs top whack must have had a lot less mechanical sympathy than
> >me. Or, TBF, perhaps at 84 years old the 250 has lost some of its sparkle.
> Or perhaps motorcycle journalists exaggerating for their readers has a
> very long tradition

Probably a bit of both. I found my mechanical sympathy diminished with company
and hire vehicles. I'm sure I'd have been fucking dreadful with vehicles supplied for
review.

Re: Things I learned on Sunday

<iuvaoqFgmfoU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5439&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5439

From: pet...@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 13:18:18 +0000
 by: Pete Fisher - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 13:18 UTC

On 09/11/2021 12:58, Stephen Packer wrote:
> On Tuesday, 9 November 2021 at 10:35:26 UTC, Champ wrote:
>> On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 07:46:55 +0000, Pete Fisher
>>> 3. Nearly 4500 rpm (as indicated by a digital tacho) feels very busy and
>>> in to "I dinna think she can tek much more" territory on a long stroke
>>> Sunbeam. The January 1937 'Motorcycling' road tester that claimed 65 mph
>>> at 5700 revs top whack must have had a lot less mechanical sympathy than
>>> me. Or, TBF, perhaps at 84 years old the 250 has lost some of its sparkle.
>> Or perhaps motorcycle journalists exaggerating for their readers has a
>> very long tradition
>
> Probably a bit of both. I found my mechanical sympathy diminished with company
> and hire vehicles. I'm sure I'd have been fucking dreadful with vehicles supplied for
> review.

"A borrowed horse and your own spurs..."

The speed test was at Brooklands apparently on a track "in one of its
worst moods".

I love the purple prose of old road tests.

"The curious, albeit pleasing, thing was that this high revving engine
did its work with a smoothness and silence that suggested a side-valve
multi. Never was there noticeable vibration. And at speeds of 50 mph and
60 mph all that could be heard was a satisfying musical hum from the
power unit."

All things are relative, I suppose.

--
Moto Morini 2C/375, Moto Morini 2C/350
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen
1937 Sunbeam Model 14 250 Sports
"Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in the reality"

Re: Things I learned on Sunday

<smdugq$rhk$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5440&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5440

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 13:53:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 13:53 UTC

Pete Fisher <peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> 1. 1930's tobacco tin brakes can still lock your wheels on
> grit/mud/grass if confronted by an approaching 'Clarkson's Farm' size
> tractor on a very narrow lane. A gentle unplanned laying down on the
> grass verge ensued, but no harm done and I even got it started again.
>
> 2. Chronometric speedos (well new ones) are surprisingly accurate. If
> anything about 1.5 mph pessimistic at 40mph according to my Beeline.

I find older tech such as that to be extremely interesting. What is done
nowadays through brute force application of technology had to be done by
clever application of first principles adapted to the technology at hand
back then.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: Things I learned on Sunday

<smduka$rhk$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5441&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5441

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 13:55:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 13:55 UTC

Stephen Packer <stephen.packer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 9 November 2021 at 10:35:26 UTC, Champ wrote:
>> On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 07:46:55 +0000, Pete Fisher
>> >3. Nearly 4500 rpm (as indicated by a digital tacho) feels very busy and
>> >in to "I dinna think she can tek much more" territory on a long stroke
>> >Sunbeam. The January 1937 'Motorcycling' road tester that claimed 65 mph
>> >at 5700 revs top whack must have had a lot less mechanical sympathy than
>> >me. Or, TBF, perhaps at 84 years old the 250 has lost some of its sparkle.
>> Or perhaps motorcycle journalists exaggerating for their readers has a
>> very long tradition
>
> Probably a bit of both. I found my mechanical sympathy diminished with company
> and hire vehicles. I'm sure I'd have been fucking dreadful with vehicles supplied for
> review.

I believe it was PJ O'Rourke who said the most capable vehicles in
the world were rental cars.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: Things I learned on Sunday

<s24logds7a7jrf3k7ed62sia7m1671qfeq@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5444&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5444

From: Ace...@ch.com (Ace)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 16:23:23 +0100
 by: Ace - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 15:23 UTC

On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 13:53:30 -0000 (UTC), Mark Olson
<olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote:

>I find older tech such as that to be extremely interesting. What is done
>nowadays through brute force application of technology had to be done by
>clever application of first principles adapted to the technology at hand
>back then.

What a wierd way of looking at it.

One mught put it the other way round - what had to be done, back un
the day, by massively over-engineering stuff to get anything like an
acceptable level of precision, can nowadays be done cheaply and easily
by anyone.

It's almost as if you thing that modern electronic tech is a bad thing
and we should all revert to old unreliable and expensive mechanical
componentry.

I've got a sreering arm ball joint to replace on my Landrover when the
tool I was missing arrives on Thursday. Completely spat all its
innards at some stage, so no bottom cup to hold it in place, just
hanging in by the grace of dog. On the one hand it's only costing me a
fiver for the replacement parts and around 40 quid total for the
tools, but on the other hand wouldn't I prefer a modern sealed unit
that couldn't just break like that? Too right I would.

--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Re: Things I learned on Sunday

<iuvn1pFivglU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5447&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5447

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 16:47:52 +0000
 by: Mike Fleming - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 16:47 UTC

On 09/11/2021 10:35, Champ wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 07:46:55 +0000, Pete Fisher
> <peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> 2. Chronometric speedos (well new ones) are surprisingly accurate. If
>> anything about 1.5 mph pessimistic at 40mph according to my Beeline.
>>
>> 3. Nearly 4500 rpm (as indicated by a digital tacho) feels very busy and
>> in to "I dinna think she can tek much more" territory on a long stroke
>> Sunbeam. The January 1937 'Motorcycling' road tester that claimed 65 mph
>> at 5700 revs top whack must have had a lot less mechanical sympathy than
>> me. Or, TBF, perhaps at 84 years old the 250 has lost some of its sparkle.
>
> Or perhaps motorcycle journalists exaggerating for their readers has a
> very long tradition

Did the word "awesome" appear anywhere in said review?

Re: Things I learned on Sunday

<smf6nb$bos$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5451&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5451

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 01:19:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 01:19 UTC

Ace <Ace@ch.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 13:53:30 -0000 (UTC), Mark Olson
> <olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote:
>
>>I find older tech such as that to be extremely interesting. What is done
>>nowadays through brute force application of technology had to be done by
>>clever application of first principles adapted to the technology at hand
>>back then.
>
> What a wierd way of looking at it.
>
> One mught put it the other way round - what had to be done, back un
> the day, by massively over-engineering stuff to get anything like an
> acceptable level of precision, can nowadays be done cheaply and easily
> by anyone.

Glass half full, glass half empty.

> It's almost as if you thing that modern electronic tech is a bad thing
> and we should all revert to old unreliable and expensive mechanical
> componentry.

Now you're just trolling.

> I've got a sreering arm ball joint to replace on my Landrover when the
> tool I was missing arrives on Thursday. Completely spat all its
> innards at some stage, so no bottom cup to hold it in place, just
> hanging in by the grace of dog. On the one hand it's only costing me a
> fiver for the replacement parts and around 40 quid total for the
> tools, but on the other hand wouldn't I prefer a modern sealed unit
> that couldn't just break like that? Too right I would.

I never said I thought the old way was _better_. I said it was
extremely interesting. I also happen to think modern technology is
very interesting as well. You came up with the idea that I thought
old tech was better all on your own.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: Things I learned on Sunday

<k1coog59oai3ot0tgteur9vtc4lijss3fr@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5456&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5456

From: plusc...@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 20:53:14 +0000
 by: Pipl - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 20:53 UTC

On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 07:46:55 +0000, Pete Fisher
<peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>1. 1930's tobacco tin brakes can still lock your wheels on
>grit/mud/grass if confronted by an approaching 'Clarkson's Farm' size
>tractor on a very narrow lane. A gentle unplanned laying down on the
>grass verge ensued, but no harm done and I even got it started again.

Oops.

>2. Chronometric speedos (well new ones) are surprisingly accurate. If
>anything about 1.5 mph pessimistic at 40mph according to my Beeline.

I think they're wonderful (though never seen one IRL). Emboldened by
my home-made clock that nearly worked, making one is on my ToDo list,
but admittedly some way down.

>3. Nearly 4500 rpm (as indicated by a digital tacho) feels very busy and
>in to "I dinna think she can tek much more" territory on a long stroke
>Sunbeam. The January 1937 'Motorcycling' road tester that claimed 65 mph
>at 5700 revs top whack must have had a lot less mechanical sympathy than
>me. Or, TBF, perhaps at 84 years old the 250 has lost some of its sparkle.

About 12-15HP?

--

-Pip

Re: Things I learned on Sunday

<iv3uevFcvo2U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5458&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5458

From: pet...@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 07:18:56 +0000
 by: Pete Fisher - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 07:18 UTC

On 10/11/2021 20:53, Pipl wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 07:46:55 +0000, Pete Fisher
> <peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> 1. 1930's tobacco tin brakes can still lock your wheels on
>> grit/mud/grass if confronted by an approaching 'Clarkson's Farm' size
>> tractor on a very narrow lane. A gentle unplanned laying down on the
>> grass verge ensued, but no harm done and I even got it started again.
>
> Oops.
>
>> 2. Chronometric speedos (well new ones) are surprisingly accurate. If
>> anything about 1.5 mph pessimistic at 40mph according to my Beeline.
>
> I think they're wonderful (though never seen one IRL). Emboldened by
> my home-made clock that nearly worked, making one is on my ToDo list,
> but admittedly some way down.
>
>> 3. Nearly 4500 rpm (as indicated by a digital tacho) feels very busy and
>> in to "I dinna think she can tek much more" territory on a long stroke
>> Sunbeam. The January 1937 'Motorcycling' road tester that claimed 65 mph
>> at 5700 revs top whack must have had a lot less mechanical sympathy than
>> me. Or, TBF, perhaps at 84 years old the 250 has lost some of its sparkle.
>
> About 12-15HP?

At best I guess. The '57 Gilera 175 is only 10 HP, but really can cruise
at 50. Significantly lighter TBF and also much more willing to rev.

It shows some indication of running a tad lean, so I may have a fiddle
with the needle or up the main jet size one increment. Not that keen to
have the pre-monobloc Amal 275 ( 7/8 inch bore!) apart again though, as
with all the unions and associated gaskets they are prone to seepage at
the best of times.

--
Moto Morini 2C/375, Moto Morini 2C/350
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen
1937 Sunbeam Model 14 250 Sports
"Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in the reality"

Re: Things I learned on Sunday

<7L8jJ.627597$Ah33.290675@usenetxs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5466&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5466

From: central7...@fastmail.fm (central77)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 13:18:59 GMT
 by: central77 - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 13:18 UTC

On Tue, 09 Nov 2021 13:55:22 +0000, Mark Olson wrote:

> I believe it was PJ O'Rourke who said the most capable vehicles in the
> world were rental cars.

especially when hired on a corporate credit card.

Re: Things I learned on Sunday

<ffltog5bsv0u0509k5oheb1rbnpvro0q3g@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5504&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5504

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 21:02:27 +0000
 by: Champ - Fri, 12 Nov 2021 21:02 UTC

On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 13:55:22 -0000 (UTC), Mark Olson
<olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote:

>I believe it was PJ O'Rourke who said the most capable vehicles in
>the world were rental cars.

Yersh. I currently have a rental car parked outside where I'm
staying, and the *significant* deposit I might lose if it's damaged
means I'm driving it *very* carefully indeed
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: Things I learned on Sunday

<smnmvm$nnb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5522&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5522

From: the.best...@gmail.com (Higgins)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 06:46:14 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:hK+jvrG/sYki5mBr1jkVc79s/kM=
 by: Higgins - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 06:46 UTC

Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 13:55:22 -0000 (UTC), Mark Olson
> <olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I believe it was PJ O'Rourke who said the most capable vehicles in
>> the world were rental cars.
>
> Yersh. I currently have a rental car parked outside where I'm
> staying, and the *significant* deposit I might lose if it's damaged
> means I'm driving it *very* carefully indeed

Insurance4carhire.com excess cover. Not expensive and painlessly paid up
when I made a £600 claim after someone did a hit and run while the car was
parked.

Re: Things I learned on Sunday

<1j4vogdoo9c6nhdqgpmo103tdosaqdfbv6@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5524&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5524

From: loo...@colinandpat.co.uk (Colin Irvine)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 10:25:10 +0000
 by: Colin Irvine - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 10:25 UTC

On Sat, 13 Nov 2021 06:46:14 -0000 (UTC), Higgins
<the.best.names.are.gone@gmail.com> wrote:

>Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote:
>> On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 13:55:22 -0000 (UTC), Mark Olson
>> <olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> I believe it was PJ O'Rourke who said the most capable vehicles in
>>> the world were rental cars.
>>
>> Yersh. I currently have a rental car parked outside where I'm
>> staying, and the *significant* deposit I might lose if it's damaged
>> means I'm driving it *very* carefully indeed
>
>Insurance4carhire.com excess cover. Not expensive and painlessly paid up
>when I made a £600 claim after someone did a hit and run while the car was
>parked.

Yep. There are several firms which provide similar cover. Well worth
it.

--
Colin Irvine
FJR1300A

Re: Things I learned on Sunday

<iv9k4dFforuU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5525&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5525

From: siwil...@nodamnspam.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 10:59:26 +0000
 by: siwilson - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 10:59 UTC

On 09/11/2021 13:55, Mark Olson wrote:
> Stephen Packer <stephen.packer@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 9 November 2021 at 10:35:26 UTC, Champ wrote:
>>> On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 07:46:55 +0000, Pete Fisher
>>> Or perhaps motorcycle journalists exaggerating for their readers has a
>>> very long tradition
>>
>> Probably a bit of both. I found my mechanical sympathy diminished with company
>> and hire vehicles. I'm sure I'd have been fucking dreadful with vehicles supplied for
>> review.
>
> I believe it was PJ O'Rourke who said the most capable vehicles in
> the world were rental cars.

Hah. some of the rental car games I have played:

See how high I can get the fuel consumption, especially when the fuel is
pre-paid.

Pull away in top gear.

Check the rev limiter works in first gear. Several times, just to be sure.

Test the anti-roll software in the old Mercedes A class.

See how many sparks I could make on steel studded tyres in an
underground car park.

--
/Simon

Re: Things I learned on Sunday

<smogje$fga$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5544&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5544

From: me...@christrollen.co.uk (CT)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 14:03:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: CT - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 14:03 UTC

siwilson wrote:

> Test the anti-roll software in the old Mercedes A class.

Ha!

EasyCar used to use A-classes. A group of us on stag weekend hired six
of them, back in the day.

When picking them up some of the drivers' details had to be added
online using the computers in the reception area.

Of course, in those days there was little or no monitoring or security.
My final act, once I'd got the keys to one of the cars, was to load up
veronicamoser.com on one of them and leg it out of there!

--
Chris

Re: Things I learned on Sunday

<38d22e5a-3d3b-44a5-b9e9-ffb53618914cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5545&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5545

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 06:04:42 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 14:04 UTC

On Saturday, 13 November 2021 at 10:59:28 UTC, siwilson wrote:

> Hah. some of the rental car games I have played:
>
> See how high I can get the fuel consumption, especially when the fuel is
> pre-paid.
>
> Pull away in top gear.
>
> Check the rev limiter works in first gear. Several times, just to be sure.
>
> Test the anti-roll software in the old Mercedes A class.
>
> See how many sparks I could make on steel studded tyres in an
> underground car park.

Max revs?

Top speed in each gear?

Andy Bonwick, Mark Roberts and I rented a van to 'cheat' on the stella
alpina and take lightweight dirt bikes down (ok, Mark took an XT660).

That van certainly suffered.

Re: Things I learned on Sunday

<4e16c1a0-f9e2-4086-84e8-ac95ff4561f2n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5548&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5548

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 06:16:25 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 14:16 UTC

On Saturday, 13 November 2021 at 14:03:28 UTC, CT wrote:

> Of course, in those days there was little or no monitoring or security.
> My final act, once I'd got the keys to one of the cars, was to load up
> veronicamoser.com on one of them and leg it out of there!

Why would people be offended by a Chinese gambling site?

I'm a bit angry about that really. Surely there should be preservation
notices on bits of 'internet' history?

Re: Things I learned on Sunday

<1iivog561iclcbevd6v8lcb0tjivo5vnrk@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5549&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5549

From: Ace...@ch.com (Ace)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 15:23:50 +0100
 by: Ace - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 14:23 UTC

On Sat, 13 Nov 2021 06:16:25 -0800 (PST), Stephen Packer
<stephen.packer@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, 13 November 2021 at 14:03:28 UTC, CT wrote:
>
>> Of course, in those days there was little or no monitoring or security.
>> My final act, once I'd got the keys to one of the cars, was to load up
>> veronicamoser.com on one of them and leg it out of there!
>
>Why would people be offended by a Chinese gambling site?
>
>I'm a bit angry about that really. Surely there should be preservation
>notices on bits of 'internet' history?

I'm sure it's all still there if you look for it. Here's a start for
you. https://fullscatmovies.club/performer/veronica-moser/
--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Re: Things I learned on Sunday

<smqqi6$612$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5564&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5564

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 11:05:42 +0000
 by: YTC#1 - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 11:05 UTC

On 13/11/2021 14:16, Stephen Packer wrote:
> On Saturday, 13 November 2021 at 14:03:28 UTC, CT wrote:
>
>> Of course, in those days there was little or no monitoring or security.
>> My final act, once I'd got the keys to one of the cars, was to load up
>> veronicamoser.com on one of them and leg it out of there!
>
> Why would people be offended by a Chinese gambling site?
>
> I'm a bit angry about that really. Surely there should be preservation
> notices on bits of 'internet' history?

https://web.archive.org/web/20070201233624/http://veronicamoser.com/

You're welcome

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

Re: Things I learned on Sunday

<sms3ob$lv7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5596&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5596

From: xsu...@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 14:48:43 -0800
 by: Turby - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 22:48 UTC

On 11/13/2021 6:23 AM, Ace wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Nov 2021 06:16:25 -0800 (PST), Stephen Packer
> <stephen.packer@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I'm a bit angry about that really. Surely there should be preservation
>> notices on bits of 'internet' history?
>
> I'm sure it's all still there if you look for it. Here's a start for
> you. https://fullscatmovies.club/performer/veronica-moser/

There are actually times when the loss of memory is a good thing.

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS, ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: Things I learned on Sunday

<5fm7pg92koobna6vojrjv9r3jn5krjuoq1@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5648&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5648

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 16:23:43 +0000
 by: Champ - Tue, 16 Nov 2021 16:23 UTC

On Sat, 13 Nov 2021 10:25:10 +0000, Colin Irvine
<look@colinandpat.co.uk> wrote:

>>> I currently have a rental car parked outside where I'm
>>> staying, and the *significant* deposit I might lose if it's damaged
>>> means I'm driving it *very* carefully indeed

>>Insurance4carhire.com excess cover. Not expensive and painlessly paid up
>>when I made a £600 claim after someone did a hit and run while the car was
>>parked.

>Yep. There are several firms which provide similar cover. Well worth
>it.

Ta, both

The car I rented [1] cost £64 for 3 days. I baulked at an extra 38
quid *a day* for full insurance, and reluctantly let them swipe my
credit card for a £1500 deposit! But a quick quote on that site
shows I could have got cover for 12 quid total!

I'll know for next time

[1] A Renault Captur