Chairman of the Bored.

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Re: Queing at ferry ports

SubjectAuthor
* Queing at ferry portsYTC#1
`* Queing at ferry portswessie
 +* Queing at ferry portsYTC#1
 |`* Queing at ferry portswessie
 | `* Queing at ferry portsYTC#1
 |  `* Queing at ferry portswessie
 |   +* Queing at ferry portsYTC#1
 |   |`* Queing at ferry portswessie
 |   | `- Queing at ferry portsYTC#1
 |   +* Queing at ferry portsStephen Packer
 |   |`* Queing at ferry portsYTC#1
 |   | `* Queing at ferry portsStephen Packer
 |   |  +- Queing at ferry portsYTC#1
 |   |  `* Queing at ferry portsChamp
 |   |   +* Queing at ferry portsAce
 |   |   |`- Queing at ferry portsChamp
 |   |   +- Queing at ferry portsStephen Packer
 |   |   `- Queing at ferry portsPipl
 |   +* Queing at ferry portsCab
 |   |`* Queing at ferry portsYTC#1
 |   | `* Queing at ferry portsCab
 |   |  +* Queing at ferry portsYTC#1
 |   |  |`* Queing at ferry portsPaul Carmichael
 |   |  | +- Queing at ferry portsColin Irvine
 |   |  | `- Queing at ferry portsYTC#1
 |   |  `- Queing at ferry portssweller
 |   +* Queing at ferry portssiwilson
 |   |`- Queing at ferry portsYTC#1
 |   `- Queing at ferry portsAlan
 +* Queing at ferry portsCab
 |`* Queing at ferry portsYTC#1
 | `- Queing at ferry portswessie
 `* Queing at ferry portsHog
  `* Queing at ferry portsYTC#1
   `- Queing at ferry portsHog

Pages:12
Re: Queing at ferry ports

<slu8fs$4uo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5337&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5337

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: Queing at ferry ports
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2021 15:05:32 +0000
 by: YTC#1 - Wed, 3 Nov 2021 15:05 UTC

On 03/11/2021 11:13, Paul Carmichael wrote:
> El Wed, 03 Nov 2021 09:17:15 +0000, YTC#1 escribió:
>

>> Not useed the train since 2012.
>

> Heh. I just turned 60 so am about to pay 6€ for a gold rail discount
> card. Up to 40% off long and middle distance travel. Train-travel here I
> come...

<sigh>
I meant the chunnel train, as per the context.
</s>

I use trains regularly. And when I turn 60 I get free travel in
Merseyside. (Unless they finally rip that away in the next 12 months and
2 weeks.)

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

Re: Queing at ferry ports

<fab5og5untm7r2lqmhl0pq09oduboe3lo1@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5338&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5338

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 15:40:27 +0000
References: <sloia5$88k$1@dont-email.me> <XnsADD575B556B74wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252> <sloncm$c2h$1@dont-email.me> <XnsADD588480E4A4wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252> <slp0ar$j36$1@dont-email.me> <XnsADD5A1E3BFF23wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252> <c13806b2-56d0-496b-a6b9-bfa01cddd255n@googlegroups.com> <slpgvu$l6r$1@dont-email.me> <3391ff7c-1044-47ce-be20-c53d6ae00ecbn@googlegroups.com> <n1n4oglbm0ipu5450p0m1j1irnpnouks4i@4ax.com> <b0o4og50rkpr6as3qdoqf1m6b49tg7cu9g@4ax.com>
 by: Champ - Wed, 3 Nov 2021 15:40 UTC

On Wed, 03 Nov 2021 11:11:38 +0100, Ace <Ace@ch.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Nov 2021 09:56:00 +0000, Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote:
>
>>Getting back into *my* country, however, gives me a strong sense of
>>"but I fucking live here!"

>Sorry, is this the IoM you're talking about?

No, actually I was talking about how I used to feel, when a UK
resident

>Otherwise fuck off with your "my country" bollocks.

heh
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: Queing at ferry ports

<8hl5og53u31e40d7pfumc67r83de91ia9i@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5343&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5343

From: plusc...@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 18:36:16 +0000
References: <sloia5$88k$1@dont-email.me> <XnsADD575B556B74wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252> <sloncm$c2h$1@dont-email.me> <XnsADD588480E4A4wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252> <slp0ar$j36$1@dont-email.me> <XnsADD5A1E3BFF23wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252> <c13806b2-56d0-496b-a6b9-bfa01cddd255n@googlegroups.com> <slpgvu$l6r$1@dont-email.me> <3391ff7c-1044-47ce-be20-c53d6ae00ecbn@googlegroups.com> <n1n4oglbm0ipu5450p0m1j1irnpnouks4i@4ax.com>
 by: Pipl - Wed, 3 Nov 2021 18:36 UTC

On Wed, 03 Nov 2021 09:56:00 +0000, Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote:

>On Tue, 2 Nov 2021 11:19:12 -0700 (PDT), Stephen Packer
><stephen.packer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>It's strange that the customs queues and Dover/Calais or Harwich/Hook
>>trouble me so much when I've spent (from memory) over 4 hours waiting at
>>borders before- Turkey to Georgia during Ramadam (Ramazam?) when they
>>decided my bike needed to be X-Rayed shortly before the fast broke (so all the
>>workers fucked off to eat something). I'm sure I'll get over it eventually; or
>>probably not.
>
>I don't think it's that strange. Crossing between two foreign (to
>you) countries entails going through whatever regs & processes *they*
>have, and I would just shrug and wait.
>
>Getting back into *my* country, however, gives me a strong sense of
>"but I fucking live here!"

Yes, I felt that last time I had to queue for half an hour at
ffs-o'clock at night once a few years ago. One of the reasons I prefer
to drive.

--

-Pip

Re: Queing at ferry ports

<iug8n4Fk4puU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5345&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5345

From: siwil...@nodamnspam.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2021 20:11:16 +0000
 by: siwilson - Wed, 3 Nov 2021 20:11 UTC

On 01/11/2021 15:54, wessie wrote:
> YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote in news:slp0ar$j36$1@dont-email.me:
>
>> On 01/11/2021 13:23, wessie wrote:
>>> YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote in

>>> for the Dieppe trip in April I am taking the 0930 ferry from
>>> Newhaven. Stay in a pub just along the coast towards Brighton the
>>> night before. Arrives Dieppe at 130pm so no worries about delays as
>>> it is just one smallish passenger boat using that route which should
>>> keep the queues down.
>>>
>>> If using the tunnel I aim for a crossing after 4pm from UK. You can
>>> travel when the roads and port are relatively quiet and then head to
>>> St Omer, Bruges etc for a first overnight. This way you can set off
>>> after breakfast the following day without any customs bollocks.
>>>
>>> On the way home, I try to get into the UK by early afternoon so I can
>>> get home for a sensible time. A Sunday seems to work best as traffic
>>> is lighter on the roads and a relatively quiet day in the port.
>>>

>> Yeahbut, does all that still stand since Brexit was activated?
>> I hate queing, but have had to do it at a lot of borders elsewhere and
>> always treated it as part of the day out.
>>
>> However, in all my years of taking vehicles to the continent, until
>> this year, I have not had to queue (excessively) to enter France or
>> the UK.
>>

> Is that Brexit or Covid causing delays? Unlike airports, you do not get
> "EU" lanes.
>
> I guess I should have made it more explicit, the times I choose mitigate
> any delays in transit as they don't have a great deal of impact. In my
> experience, the delays are not only caused by border officials. On
> ships, the biggest delays have been the technical or weather related
> problems. Then there have been times when there were roadworks inside
> the Eurotunnel facility impeding flow.

We came back (to Portsmouth) at the weekend, it was a bad time because
the ferry was quite busy due to it being the end of half term. More than
an hour to get off the boat and onto the M27.

Portsmouth always was quite bad, now it's even worse due to both brexit
and covid, though all of the covid stuff is online now. They "search"
every van and largish car looking for stowaways.

Checking in the ferry both ways is a PITA. Mostly covid related as they
have a lot to check and a lot of people have stuff only on their phones
which they fumble with and pass back and forth in and out of the car for
each passenger. I print everything out.

Getting into France has gone from a cursory glance at your passport to
full on computer check/passport stamp - deffo brexit has caused that and
it can take an hour to get off the ferry and through. I've done it twice
now since brexit.

--
/Simon

Re: Queing at ferry ports

<sm0f72$cn1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5358&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5358

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 11:12:34 +0000
 by: YTC#1 - Thu, 4 Nov 2021 11:12 UTC

On 03/11/2021 20:11, siwilson wrote:
> On 01/11/2021 15:54, wessie wrote:
>> YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote in news:slp0ar$j36$1@dont-email.me:

>>> Yeahbut, does all that still stand since Brexit was activated?
>>> I hate queing, but have had to do it at a lot of borders elsewhere and
>>> always treated it as part of the day out.
>>>
>>> However, in all my years of taking vehicles to the continent, until
>>> this year, I have not had to queue (excessively) to enter France or
>>> the UK.
>>>

>> Is that Brexit or Covid causing delays? Unlike airports, you do not get
>> "EU" lanes.
>>
>> I guess I should have made it more explicit, the times I choose mitigate
>> any delays in transit as they don't have a great deal of impact. In my
>> experience, the delays are not only caused by border officials. On
>> ships, the biggest delays have been the technical or weather related
>> problems. Then there have been times when there were roadworks inside
>> the Eurotunnel facility impeding flow.
>>

> We came back (to Portsmouth) at the weekend, it was a bad time because
> the ferry was quite busy due to it being the end of half term. More than
> an hour to get off the boat and onto the M27.

Yeah, what was measured in minutes is now measured in hours :-(

> Portsmouth always was quite bad, now it's even worse due to both brexit

On the way out at Portsmouth it was pretty easy/quick. Ok I turned up 1
hr before bording, but was straight through check-in.

> and covid, though all of the covid stuff is online now. They "search"
> every van and largish car looking for stowaways.
>
> Checking in the ferry both ways is a PITA. Mostly covid related as they
> have a lot to check and a lot of people have stuff only on their phones
> which they fumble with and pass back and forth in and out of the car for
> each passenger. I print everything out.

And I do the opposite, what I saw at Santander was people fumbling with
bits of paper, getting out of their cars and passing them to the
official. Seemed to take them far longer than required.

I had the PDFs ready as last two tasks on the phone. Hand over #1
(vaccination), take back, flip task, hand over #2 (LFT reference). Less
than 1 min at check-in.

> Getting into France has gone from a cursory glance at your passport to
> full on computer check/passport stamp - deffo brexit has caused that and
Yeah, that was defo longer.

> it can take an hour to get off the ferry and through. I've done it twice
> now since brexit.

I was lucky, got off at the front nearly, and was about 3rd in custom
queue for France.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: Queing at ferry ports

<iuk03iFb8kjU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5369&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5369

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 5 Nov 2021 06:08:50 GMT
 by: sweller - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 06:08 UTC

Cab wrote:

> > So, how long does it take to get off the boat and past
> > customs/passport control (at Dover) now then?
>
> Oh you use a boat. How quaint. Seriously though, Eurotunnel is the way
> to go. Overall it's far quicker, and that's including customs, etc.

I went Eurostar to Paris the other day [1] - other than the Covid
passport checks (on my phone) it was no slower or quicker than
previously [2].

At Gare du Nord coming back there were EU queues and "UK and everybody
else queues" - so didn't seem to have much of an effect. Unlike, I'm
guessing, arriving at an EU airport.

[1] Work
[2] March 2020 was the last time I used it, which was pre-pandemic.
However, that was Brussels which has noticeable capacity
problems with security checks. Paris is pretty slick in
comparison.

--
Simon

Re: Queing at ferry ports

<JJWdnSGK5YduURr8nZ2dnUU78TmdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5410&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5410

From: ala...@darkroom.+.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 06:56:19 -0600
 by: Alan - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 12:56 UTC

On Mon, 01 Nov 2021 15:54:53 +0000, wessie wrote:

>>> for the Dieppe trip in April I am taking the 0930 ferry from Newhaven.
>>> Stay in a pub just along the coast towards Brighton the night before.

That's a good idea, we have relatives there who could put us up if we
wanted an overnighter there.
Newhaven is closer than Dover for us, and the trip south from Dover is
not very picturesque, so that wouldnt be missed.

Re: Queing at ferry ports

<e8361ae3-61d0-46ff-b689-b1ffc7e260b3n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5412&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5412

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 01:18:02 -0800 (PST)
From: york...@gmail.com (Hog)
 by: Hog - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 09:18 UTC

On Monday, 1 November 2021 at 11:34:19 UTC, wessie wrote:
> YTC#1 <b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote in news:sloia5$88k$1...@dont-email.me:

> > How are the likes of Dover coping?
> >
> Not done it myself but a friend came through the Eurotunnel on the
> weekend and described Coquelles as shambolic. Not enough lanes open for
> the volume of traffic checking in. He was on a bike in pissing rain.
>
> At least with the tunnel all admin is completed before boarding the
> train so you can leave the destination port without any hinderance.

Zero hassle. About 30 seconds longer than pre brexit.
Slap down passport, printed covid cert (laminated) both ways (they all seem to appreciate the effort of the cert incl Dub) and copy of first night booking (ignored).

Rode around the cars to near the front of the queue as normal. Usual tactic, join bike group nearest the booth.

Car groups may be experiencing more bureaucracy and delay, which is only right and proper, fuckem.

Unfortunately they are loading bikes in the last carriage, requiring a short wait at the train.

OTOH although the new jobsworth fuckwits at Dublin port (incoming only) with their two layers of gates have started backing off bikes it's still slower than the Channel tunnel, but TBF 5-20mins tops even if searched. Holyhead is back to straight through, although I see them spot searching vans and large cars (they always did a few in daylight hours).

Larne Cairnryan? back to zero hassle and a cheery wave, only looking inside vans. Most of the cops now gone. Marvellous what a riot and a few Molotov's can achieve (take note)

Something else nice is the significant reduction in Irish freight traffic passing through the UK to mainland Europe. There are some 40 new heavy goods and container sailings a week direct from Dublin/Rosslare/Cork. WTF wasn't it always the case? I'm sure nobody wanted their additional congestion and air pollution and sure the Tramping drivers cannot be missing the M6/M25/M20 debacle.

Apologies to some for injecting some optimism and positive experiences.

Re: Queing at ferry ports

<smasoq$nqb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5413&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5413

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 10:05:14 +0000
 by: YTC#1 - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 10:05 UTC

On 08/11/2021 09:18, Hog wrote:
> On Monday, 1 November 2021 at 11:34:19 UTC, wessie wrote:
>> YTC#1 <b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote in news:sloia5$88k$1...@dont-email.me:
>
>>> How are the likes of Dover coping?
>>>
>> Not done it myself but a friend came through the Eurotunnel on the
>> weekend and described Coquelles as shambolic. Not enough lanes open for
>> the volume of traffic checking in. He was on a bike in pissing rain.
>>
>> At least with the tunnel all admin is completed before boarding the
>> train so you can leave the destination port without any hinderance.
>
> Zero hassle. About 30 seconds longer than pre brexit.
> Slap down passport, printed covid cert (laminated) both ways (they all seem to appreciate the effort of the cert incl Dub) and copy of first night booking (ignored).
>
> Rode around the cars to near the front of the queue as normal. Usual tactic, join bike group nearest the booth.
>
> Car groups may be experiencing more bureaucracy and delay, which is only right and proper, fuckem.
>
> Unfortunately they are loading bikes in the last carriage, requiring a short wait at the train.
>
> OTOH although the new jobsworth fuckwits at Dublin port (incoming only) with their two layers of gates have started backing off bikes it's still slower than the Channel tunnel, but TBF 5-20mins tops even if searched. Holyhead is back to straight through, although I see them spot searching vans and large cars (they always did a few in daylight hours).

Leaving Dublin for Holyhead in September, was totally hassle free. I did
presume that was t do with the CTA though.

> Larne Cairnryan? back to zero hassle and a cheery wave, only looking inside vans. Most of the cops now gone. Marvellous what a riot and a few Molotov's can achieve (take note)

Yep, was surprised how easy Cairnryan -> Larne was in September.

> Something else nice is the significant reduction in Irish freight traffic passing through the UK to mainland Europe. There are some 40 new heavy goods and container sailings a week direct from Dublin/Rosslare/Cork. WTF wasn't it always the case? I'm sure nobody wanted their additional congestion and air pollution and sure the Tramping drivers cannot be missing the M6/M25/M20 debacle.
>
> Apologies to some for injecting some optimism and positive experiences.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: Queing at ferry ports

<d9fbcb95-2abf-440a-9d34-0652234c6b95n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5431&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5431

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 01:48:59 -0800 (PST)
From: york...@gmail.com (Hog)
 by: Hog - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 09:48 UTC

On Monday, 8 November 2021 at 10:05:16 UTC, YTC#1 wrote:
> On 08/11/2021 09:18, Hog wrote:

> > Larne Cairnryan? back to zero hassle and a cheery wave, only looking inside vans. Most of the cops now gone. Marvellous what a riot and a few Molotov's can achieve (take note)
> >
> Yep, was surprised how easy Cairnryan -> Larne was in September.

Aaargh, fskin autocorrect