Psychiatry is the care of the id by the odd.

aus+uk / uk.people.silversurfers / Re:Statins experiences

SubjectAuthor
* Statins experiencesJim the Geordie
+- Re: Statins experiencesIndy Jess John
+* Re: Statins experienceskat
|`* Re: Statins experiencesBob Henson
| `- Re: Statins experienceskat
+- Re: Statins experiencesHarry Bloomfield Esq
+- Re: Statins experiencesGraham Harrison
+- Re: Statins experiencesBob Henson
`- Re:Statins experiencesIain

1
Statins experiences

<MPG.3e653d27348ed04989716@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5430&group=uk.people.silversurfers#5430

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Statins experiences
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 09:56:29 -0000
 by: Jim the Geordie - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 09:56 UTC

Anyone here got personal experience of using statins?

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: Statins experiences

<ttfc5k$2k2gh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5431&group=uk.people.silversurfers#5431

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Re: Statins experiences
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 10:27:01 +0000
 by: Indy Jess John - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 10:27 UTC

On 26/02/2023 09:56, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> Anyone here got personal experience of using statins?

I take one 40mg tablet of Atorvastatin once a day at bed time. I have
had no side effects at all.

I did discuss what they did with the consultant who is monitoring me
because I have atrial fibrillation and that produced a few blood clots
which have lodged in my lungs, and he explained that although statins
are mainly prescribed for reducing cholesterol levels, and I don't need
that because my levels are OK, statins also minimise the risk of further
blood clots caused by my AF and that is why I have been prescribed
statins, to minimise the risk of further clot damage to my lungs and to
lower the risk of a stroke in the future.

Jim

Re: Statins experiences

<k60sojFug9fU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5433&group=uk.people.silversurfers#5433

From: littleli...@hotmail.com (kat)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 11:05:56 +0000
 by: kat - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 11:05 UTC

On 26/02/2023 09:56, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> Anyone here got personal experience of using statins?

Shortly after starting them my husband got a lot of aches and pains and
eventually was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. he has been told to never
take them again as it it has been assumed they caused it to kick off.

Bear in mind he has a sister with the same condition so was considered to be a
higher risk. So anything like that in the family, think about it.

Me, I take them and while my legs hurt more than they did, that could be other
causes.
--
kat
>^..^<

Re: Statins experiences

<ttfk75$2sjes$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5436&group=uk.people.silversurfers#5436

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 12:44:20 +0000
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 12:44 UTC

On 26/02/2023 09:56, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> Anyone here got personal experience of using statins?

I'm on 20mg Astorvastatin and for a few years.

There is a long list of possible side effects, I have not noted any
special side effects since I began taking them.

There is list here, but every medicine has such a scary list.

Re: Statins experiences

<64umvh5luheu52bb6349a0n5barj09dfje@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5438&group=uk.people.silversurfers#5438

From: edward.h...@btinternet.com (Graham Harrison)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 15:29:32 +0000
 by: Graham Harrison - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 15:29 UTC

On Sun, 26 Feb 2023 09:56:29 -0000, Jim the Geordie
<jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:

>Anyone here got personal experience of using statins?

The trouble is that there is no "correct" answer. The way the pill
itself is "constructed" such that a pill from one manufacturer can
cause problems and another manufacturer may not cause problems. I had
that problem with Metformin. It's also the case that dosage amount can
cause different side effects.

I took a statin for about 1 year maybe 10 years ago. I found I was
getting cramps, particularly in my legs. When I went to my doctor his
response was along the lines of "I had the same reaction". He then
told me to stop taking them and I haven't had a problem since.

Same surgery, different doctor, they've recently written to me
advising I start again. "Again" is possibly inaccurate; isn't there
(another) push to get us all taking them going on? Anyway, I'm
thinking about it.

Re: Statins experiences

<tti3n0$38hhn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5443&group=uk.people.silversurfers#5443

From: fak...@obfuscation.net (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 11:21:03 +0000
 by: Bob Henson - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 11:21 UTC

On 26/2/23 9:56 am, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> Anyone here got personal experience of using statins?

When they first came out there was a lot of publicity about the rare
side effect of rhabdomyolysis which lead people to imagine they caused
muscle problems. Recent reports suggest that they are remarkably free of
side effects long term and that many more people should be taking them
than actually are. I dispensed them for many years, and have now taken
them for many years since my heart attack, and I'm still alive to tell
the tale - probably largely due to the statins.

Regards,

Bob

Re: Statins experiences

<tti3v8$38hhn$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5444&group=uk.people.silversurfers#5444

From: fak...@obfuscation.net (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 11:25:27 +0000
 by: Bob Henson - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 11:25 UTC

On 26/2/23 11:05 am, kat wrote:
> On 26/02/2023 09:56, Jim the Geordie wrote:
>> Anyone here got personal experience of using statins?
>>

> Shortly after starting them my husband got  a lot of aches and pains and
> eventually was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis.  he has been told to
> never take them again as it it has been assumed they caused it to kick off.
>
> Bear in mind he has a sister with the same condition so was considered
> to be a higher risk. So anything like that in the family, think about it.
>
> Me, I take them and while my legs hurt more than they did, that could be
> other causes.

There is no reason whatever to assume that the statins caused His Nibs'
arthritis, and you are almost certainly correct in assuming they have
nothing to do with your legs hurting. That's probably like mine and many
other folk's - anno domini :-)

TTFN,

Bob

Re: Statins experiences

<k64ialFhfb2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5446&group=uk.people.silversurfers#5446

From: littleli...@hotmail.com (kat)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 20:32:21 +0000
 by: kat - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 20:32 UTC

On 27/02/2023 11:25, Bob Henson wrote:
> On 26/2/23 11:05 am, kat wrote:
>> On 26/02/2023 09:56, Jim the Geordie wrote:
>>> Anyone here got personal experience of using statins?
>>>

>> Shortly after starting them my husband got  a lot of aches and pains and
>> eventually was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis.  he has been told to never
>> take them again as it it has been assumed they caused it to kick off.
>>
>> Bear in mind he has a sister with the same condition so was considered to be a
>> higher risk. So anything like that in the family, think about it.
>>
>> Me, I take them and while my legs hurt more than they did, that could be other
>> causes.
>

> There is no reason whatever to assume that the statins caused His Nibs'
> arthritis, and you are almost certainly correct in assuming they have nothing to
> do with your legs hurting. That's probably like mine and many other folk's  -
> anno domini :-)

His doctors seemed to think it was quite likely that they did have an effect in
kicking it off. Given the problems started around 2 months after he started
taking them he thought it coincidental. The rheumatology people are the ones
who told him never to take them again.

My legs have more to do with a twisted spine than anno domini, but yeah, I don't
think I have been affected by the statins. On the other hand I would recommend
anyone who thinks they might have had some adverse reaction to see their doctor
quickly and maybe get a different one or a change in dosage.

--
kat
>^..^<

Re:Statins experiences

<k6cubvFqrfgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5466&group=uk.people.silversurfers#5466

From: spa...@smaps.net (Iain)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 00:46:55 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Iain - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 00:46 UTC

Jim the Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> Wrote in message:r
> Anyone here got personal experience of using statins?
>
>--
>Jim the Geordie

I was put on atorvastatins (10mg) almost 20 years ago, following a
heart attack, with no noticeable adverse effects. My sister was
put on simvastatins around the same time and suffered muscular
problems. A doctor wanted to change me over to simvastatins
(because I think they were cheaper and because I think that
atorvastatins were still under licence), but I refused based on
my sister's experience.

So for me, atorvastatins still work well, as well as their
apparently beneficial side-affects. Tied in with this is also the
need to make sure that your diet is healthy. And my cholesterol
levels remain very good.

--
Iain

----Android NewsGroup Reader----