From: flowbe...@unknown.com (John Adey)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: windows 7
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 10:14:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Adey - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 10:14 UTC

hi all, i know most of you will already be on windows 7
or windows 10/11 or linux i have a couple of widows 7
licences incase anyone needs a number for an old laptop
they want to update.

bye.

--
If at first you don't succeed think sod it.

Re: windows 7

<tvf9nh$mhe9$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5528&group=uk.people.silversurfers#5528

From: fre...@fredsmith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Re: windows 7
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 16:17:52 +0000
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 16:17 UTC

On 04/03/2023 10:14, John Adey wrote:
> hi all, i know most of you will already be on windows 7
> or windows 10/11 or linux i have a couple of widows 7
> licences incase anyone needs a number for an old laptop
> they want to update.
>
> bye.

I am not completely sure that licences are still needed for Windows 10

I recently did an install of Win 10 Pro using the Media Creation tool
from 2016, and the resulting install is already activated, according to
the properties page.

Theres also no warning message one the screen saying that I need to
activate.

I am assuming that the "dialogue" between the installer and MS HQ has
changed ?

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: windows 7

<tvfvms$qe9d$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5529&group=uk.people.silversurfers#5529

From: ofs...@blackyonder.co.uk (Oliver)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 22:33:00 +0000
 by: Oliver - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 22:33 UTC

On 22/03/2023 16:17, Abandoned_Trolley wrote:
> On 04/03/2023 10:14, John Adey wrote:
>> hi all, i know most of you will already be on windows 7
>> or windows 10/11 or linux i have a couple of widows 7
>> licences incase anyone needs a number for an old laptop
>> they want to update.
>>
>> bye.
>>

> I am not completely sure that licences are still needed for Windows 10
>
> I recently did an install of Win 10 Pro using the Media Creation tool
> from 2016, and the resulting install is already activated, according to
> the properties page.
>
> Theres also no warning message one the screen saying that I need to
> activate.
>
> I am assuming that the "dialogue" between the installer and MS HQ has
> changed ?

A few days ago I carried out a free online upgrade from Windows 8.1 (now
out of support) to Windows 10, even though that offer ended months and
months - years? - ago. I assume an upgrade from Windows 7 would be free
in the same way.

I believe a working licence is still needed though - which I had.

--
Oliver

Re: windows 7

<tvh0f1$12aam$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5530&group=uk.people.silversurfers#5530

From: fre...@fredsmith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 07:52:02 +0000
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 07:52 UTC

On 22/03/2023 22:33, Oliver wrote:

> A few days ago I carried out a free online upgrade from Windows 8.1 (now
> out of support) to Windows 10, even though that offer ended months and
> months - years? - ago. I assume an upgrade from Windows 7 would be free
> in the same way.
>
> I believe a working licence is still needed though - which I had.

Yesterday I did another bare metal install of Win 10 pro using that same
install disc from 2016, and as before, the resulting OS is already
activated, with no product key entered.

I have another machine running Win 10 Pro which was installed using the
same media in May of 2021, and it is not activated, and I have had a
warning note on the screen ever since.

As I said earlier, I am assuming that the "dialogue" between the
installer and MS HQ has changed.

I am told that some features of the OS are not available before
activation, but as I dont know what they are I am not able to check.

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: windows 7

<xn0nzolxnbnbr31006@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5531&group=uk.people.silversurfers#5531

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: 23 Mar 2023 08:32:23 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 08:32 UTC

On 23/03/2023 in message <tvh0f1$12aam$1@dont-email.me> Abandoned_Trolley
wrote:

>As I said earlier, I am assuming that the "dialogue" between the installer
>and MS HQ has changed.
>
>I am told that some features of the OS are not available before
>activation, but as I dont know what they are I am not able to check.

Once Win 10 has successfully activated the MSFT database keeps a record
using some sort of key which identifies the computer. You can still
activate using a key from Win 7 on (only once per key, don't know if MSFT
check).

If you don't activate you lose some personalisation features.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his friends for his

Re: windows 7

<tvh47v$12tur$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5532&group=uk.people.silversurfers#5532

From: fre...@fredsmith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 08:56:31 +0000
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 08:56 UTC

On 23/03/2023 08:32, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 23/03/2023 in message <tvh0f1$12aam$1@dont-email.me>
> Abandoned_Trolley wrote:
>
>> As I said earlier, I am assuming that the "dialogue" between the
>> installer and MS HQ has changed.
>>
>> I am told that some features of the OS are not available before
>> activation, but as I dont know what they are I am not able to check.
>
> Once Win 10 has successfully activated the MSFT database keeps a record
> using some sort of key which identifies the computer. You can still
> activate using a key from Win 7 on (only once per key, don't know if
> MSFT check).
>
> If you don't activate you lose some personalisation features.

I understand what you are getting at, but that doesn't explain what’s
happened here.

If it's a bare metal install on a completely different machine then the
only common factor is the installation media itself. Maybe there’s some
sort of serial number embedded in every download from the "Media
Creation Tool" ?

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: windows 7

<xn0nzoq11bstj0b008@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5534&group=uk.people.silversurfers#5534

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: 23 Mar 2023 11:06:10 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 11:06 UTC

On 23/03/2023 in message <tvh47v$12tur$1@dont-email.me> Abandoned_Trolley
wrote:

>>Once Win 10 has successfully activated the MSFT database keeps a record
>>using some sort of key which identifies the computer. You can still
>>activate using a key from Win 7 on (only once per key, don't know if MSFT
>>check).
>>
>>If you don't activate you lose some personalisation features.
>>

>I understand what you are getting at, but that doesn't explain what’s
>happened here.
>
>If it's a bare metal install on a completely different machine then the
>only common factor is the installation media itself. Maybe there’s some
>sort of serial number embedded in every download from the "Media Creation
>Tool" ?

On machines supplied with Windows (? 7 on) the key is built into the BIOS
so that's another possibility.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Here we go it's getting close, now it's just who wants it most.