If someone says he will do something "without fail", he won't.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Channel

SubjectAuthor
* ChannelTone
+* ChannelJohn Williamson
|+* ChannelTone
||`- ChannelJohn Williamson
|+* ChannelNick Odell
||+* ChannelSam Plusnet
|||+* ChannelJohn Williamson
|||`- ChannelTone
||`- ChannelAdrian
|`* ChannelAhem A Rivet's Shot
| `- ChannelJohn Williamson
+- ChannelBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
`* Channelsoup
 +* ChannelAhem A Rivet's Shot
 |+* ChannelMike Fleming
 ||`* ChannelAhem A Rivet's Shot
 || `* ChannelJohn Williamson
 ||  `- ChannelRichard Robinson
 |+- ChannelNick Odell
 |`- ChannelMaus
 +* ChannelAdrian
 |+- ChannelRichard Robinson
 |`- ChannelAhem A Rivet's Shot
 `* ChannelTone
  +* ChannelJohn Williamson
  |+- ChannelJohn Williamson
  |+- ChannelRichard Robinson
  |`- ChannelSam Plusnet
  +- ChannelAhem A Rivet's Shot
  +* ChannelRichard Robinson
  |`* ChannelBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
  | `* ChannelAhem A Rivet's Shot
  |  +- ChannelTone
  |  +* ChannelRichard Robinson
  |  |`* ChannelNicholas D. Richards
  |  | `* ChannelBernard Peek
  |  |  +* ChannelAhem A Rivet's Shot
  |  |  |`- ChannelBernard Peek
  |  |  `* ChannelRichard Robinson
  |  |   `* ChannelBernard Peek
  |  |    `* ChannelRichard Robinson
  |  |     +* ChannelAhem A Rivet's Shot
  |  |     |`* ChannelRichard Robinson
  |  |     | `- ChannelAhem A Rivet's Shot
  |  |     `- ChannelBernard Peek
  |  `- ChannelSam Plusnet
  +* ChannelBernard Peek
  |+* ChannelMaus
  ||+* ChannelAhem A Rivet's Shot
  |||`* ChannelMike Fleming
  ||| +- ChannelNick Odell
  ||| +* ChannelMaus
  ||| `- ChannelRichard Robinson
  ||+* ChannelBernard Peek
  |||+* ChannelAhem A Rivet's Shot
  |||`- ChannelMaus
  ||`- ChannelSam Plusnet
  |`* ChannelRichard Robinson
  | `* ChannelBernard Peek
  |  +- ChannelAhem A Rivet's Shot
  |  `* ChannelRichard Robinson
  |   `* ChannelAhem A Rivet's Shot
  |    `* ChannelRichard Robinson
  |     `* ChannelMike Fleming
  |      `* ChannelPeter
  |       `* ChannelNicholas D. Richards
  |        +* ChannelAhem A Rivet's Shot
  |        |`* ChannelSn!pe
  |        | `* ChannelRustyHinge
  |        |  `* ChannelAhem A Rivet's Shot
  |        |   `* ChannelRustyHinge
  |        |    `* ChannelAhem A Rivet's Shot
  |        |     `- ChannelSn!pe
  |        `- ChannelTone
  `* ChannelMike Fleming
   +* ChannelTone
   |+* ChannelPeter
   ||`* ChannelMike Fleming
   || `* ChannelPeter
   ||  `- ChannelSam Plusnet
   |+* ChannelMaus
   ||`- ChannelRichard Robinson
   |`- ChannelBernard Peek
   +* ChannelBernard Peek
   |+* ChannelNicholas D. Richards
   ||+- ChannelRichard Robinson
   ||`* ChannelMaus
   || +* ChannelBernard Peek
   || `* ChannelRichard Robinson
   |`* ChannelRichard Robinson
   `* ChannelRichard Robinson

Pages:12345
Channel

<snm39a$sj1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5547&group=uk.rec.sheds#5547

From: ema...@address.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Channel
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 19:20:11 +0000
 by: Tone - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 19:20 UTC

If I was 20 years younger I would sell my narrowboat and buy an old
landing craft, and spend my days shipping those refugees across the
channel for £10pp. I wouldn't be exploiting them, it would pay the
diseasal and it would give me a sensible living, but mainly it would
save lives.

Tone

Re: Channel

<j07ig3F83mmU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5550&group=uk.rec.sheds#5550

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Channel
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 19:35:29 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 19:35 UTC

On 24/11/2021 19:20, Tone wrote:
> If I was 20 years younger I would sell my narrowboat and buy an old
> landing craft, and spend my days shipping those refugees across the
> channel for £10pp. I wouldn't be exploiting them, it would pay the
> diseasal and it would give me a sensible living, but mainly it would
> save lives.
>
> Tone
Unfortunately, you would be in business for no more than 24 hours before
the Gibberment immigrations mob stopped you, then escorted you into port
for official unloading before they seized it.

Until they actually make the asylum application, which can only be done
on British soil, not at sea, even in British waters, they are illegal
immigrants, and both they and you would be subject to arrest.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Channel

<snm6o4$l82$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5553&group=uk.rec.sheds#5553

From: ema...@address.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 20:19:17 +0000
 by: Tone - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 20:19 UTC

On 24/11/2021 19:35, John Williamson wrote:
> On 24/11/2021 19:20, Tone wrote:
>> If I was 20 years younger I would sell my narrowboat and buy an old
>> landing craft, and spend my days shipping those refugees across the
>> channel for £10pp. I wouldn't be exploiting them, it would pay the
>> diseasal and it would give me a sensible living, but mainly it would
>> save lives.
>>
>> Tone
> Unfortunately, you would be in business for no more than 24 hours before
> the Gibberment immigrations mob stopped you, then escorted you into port
> for official unloading before they seized it.
>
> Until they actually make the asylum application, which can only be done
> on British soil, not at sea, even in British waters, they are illegal
> immigrants, and both they and you would be subject to arrest.

Maybe. But at least I would set an example of what they should be doing,
and I'd have a clear conscience.

Tone

Re: Channel

<j07lcfF8l59U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5554&group=uk.rec.sheds#5554

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 20:24:46 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 20:24 UTC

On 24/11/2021 20:19, Tone wrote:
> On 24/11/2021 19:35, John Williamson wrote:
>> On 24/11/2021 19:20, Tone wrote:
>>> If I was 20 years younger I would sell my narrowboat and buy an old
>>> landing craft, and spend my days shipping those refugees across the
>>> channel for £10pp. I wouldn't be exploiting them, it would pay the
>>> diseasal and it would give me a sensible living, but mainly it would
>>> save lives.
>>>
>>> Tone
>> Unfortunately, you would be in business for no more than 24 hours
>> before the Gibberment immigrations mob stopped you, then escorted you
>> into port for official unloading before they seized it.
>>
>> Until they actually make the asylum application, which can only be
>> done on British soil, not at sea, even in British waters, they are
>> illegal immigrants, and both they and you would be subject to arrest.
>>

> Maybe. But at least I would set an example of what they should be doing,
> and I'd have a clear conscience.

Agreed, but unfortunately, the Gibberment wouldn't.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Channel

<f08tpg5easmgursfjlbjl7jkm6sr9qop77@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5556&group=uk.rec.sheds#5556

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 20:30:58 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 20:30 UTC

On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 19:35:29 +0000, John Williamson
<johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:

>On 24/11/2021 19:20, Tone wrote:
>> If I was 20 years younger I would sell my narrowboat and buy an old
>> landing craft, and spend my days shipping those refugees across the
>> channel for £10pp. I wouldn't be exploiting them, it would pay the
>> diseasal and it would give me a sensible living, but mainly it would
>> save lives.
>>
>> Tone
>Unfortunately, you would be in business for no more than 24 hours before
>the Gibberment immigrations mob stopped you, then escorted you into port
>for official unloading before they seized it.
>
>Until they actually make the asylum application, which can only be done
>on British soil, not at sea, even in British waters, they are illegal
>immigrants, and both they and you would be subject to arrest.

The Royal Yacht Club, AIUI is advising members coming across dingies
in difficulty not to take people aboard but to stand by and call the
authorities. They fear that innocent rescue may land members in court
under the newer, harsher, British definition of people trafficking. I
thought the law of the sea trumped national laws but I suppose one has
to come off the sea and onto somebody's land at some point.

Nick

Re: Channel

<20211124204913.2e7820c35e738ecf716cfc2f@eircom.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5565&group=uk.rec.sheds#5565

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 20:49:13 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 20:49 UTC

On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 19:35:29 +0000
John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Until they actually make the asylum application, which can only be done
> on British soil, not at sea, even in British waters, they are illegal
> immigrants, and both they and you would be subject to arrest.

Does that mean all asylum seekers start as illegal immigrants ?

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Channel

<j07nrjF93v6U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5567&group=uk.rec.sheds#5567

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 21:06:56 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 21:06 UTC

On 24/11/2021 20:49, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 19:35:29 +0000
> John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> Until they actually make the asylum application, which can only be done
>> on British soil, not at sea, even in British waters, they are illegal
>> immigrants, and both they and you would be subject to arrest.
>
> Does that mean all asylum seekers start as illegal immigrants ?

Until they apply for asylum, yes. As soon as they apply, they become
legal asylum seekers or refugees. They can and must apply as soon as
they meet an immigration official after disembarking at the airport of
port of entry. A delay in applying, such as legging it off the beach and
finding a (Not legal, due to other rules) wbo counts against them.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Channel

<a7ynJ.110218$1ow8.46982@fx05.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5570&group=uk.rec.sheds#5570

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 21:27:34 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 21:27 UTC

On 24-Nov-21 20:30, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 19:35:29 +0000, John Williamson
> <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> On 24/11/2021 19:20, Tone wrote:
>>> If I was 20 years younger I would sell my narrowboat and buy an old
>>> landing craft, and spend my days shipping those refugees across the
>>> channel for £10pp. I wouldn't be exploiting them, it would pay the
>>> diseasal and it would give me a sensible living, but mainly it would
>>> save lives.
>>>
>>> Tone
>> Unfortunately, you would be in business for no more than 24 hours before
>> the Gibberment immigrations mob stopped you, then escorted you into port
>> for official unloading before they seized it.
>>
>> Until they actually make the asylum application, which can only be done
>> on British soil, not at sea, even in British waters, they are illegal
>> immigrants, and both they and you would be subject to arrest.
>
> The Royal Yacht Club, AIUI is advising members coming across dingies
> in difficulty not to take people aboard but to stand by and call the
> authorities. They fear that innocent rescue may land members in court
> under the newer, harsher, British definition of people trafficking. I
> thought the law of the sea trumped national laws but I suppose one has
> to come off the sea and onto somebody's land at some point.

You just reminded me of something.
I was reading a work of fiction (USian) in which a party of people were
on a yacht (pronounced yacht). Alcohol was being imbibed & when someone
pointed out that one person was under 21 (Usians, remember) the captain
of the vessel replied:

"It's OK, we're in international waters so the drinking age is 18."

Do the Laws of the Sea really cover things like that?

Are there speed limits & rules about the distance between street lights?

Sunday shop-opening hours?

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Channel

<j07phlF9endU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5571&group=uk.rec.sheds#5571

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 21:35:48 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 21:35 UTC

On 24/11/2021 21:27, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 24-Nov-21 20:30, Nick Odell wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 19:35:29 +0000, John Williamson
>> <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, you would be in business for no more than 24 hours before
>>> the Gibberment immigrations mob stopped you, then escorted you into port
>>> for official unloading before they seized it.
>>>
>>> Until they actually make the asylum application, which can only be done
>>> on British soil, not at sea, even in British waters, they are illegal
>>> immigrants, and both they and you would be subject to arrest.
>>
>> The Royal Yacht Club, AIUI is advising members coming across dingies
>> in difficulty not to take people aboard but to stand by and call the
>> authorities. They fear that innocent rescue may land members in court
>> under the newer, harsher, British definition of people trafficking. I
>> thought the law of the sea trumped national laws but I suppose one has
>> to come off the sea and onto somebody's land at some point.
>
> You just reminded me of something.
> I was reading a work of fiction (USian) in which a party of people were
> on a yacht (pronounced yacht). Alcohol was being imbibed & when someone
> pointed out that one person was under 21 (Usians, remember) the captain
> of the vessel replied:
>
> "It's OK, we're in international waters so the drinking age is 18."
>
> Do the Laws of the Sea really cover things like that?

AIUI, the laws applying on board a vessel are those of the country where
it is registered, not the country where the owner happens to reside.
Just to add to the fun, the drinking age in Leftpondia varies according
to which state (not state) you are in and who you are with at the time.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Channel

<nkctpgh977ekf3knpintjd80c15gfgbo7e@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5572&group=uk.rec.sheds#5572

From: hub...@ccanoemail.ca
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 16:48:22 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.ca - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 21:48 UTC

>Just to add to the fun, the drinking age in Leftpondia varies according
>to which state (not state) you are in and who you are with at the time.

19 in Ontario - where you can go hunting with a rifle at 12
as long as supervised by an 18 year old ...

https://www.ontario.ca/document/ontario-hunting-regulations-summary/hunter-apprenticeship-safety-program

John T.

Re: Channel

<snmdg0$7pn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5573&group=uk.rec.sheds#5573

From: ema...@address.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 22:14:25 +0000
 by: Tone - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 22:14 UTC

On 24/11/2021 21:27, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 24-Nov-21 20:30, Nick Odell wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 19:35:29 +0000, John Williamson
>> <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, you would be in business for no more than 24 hours before
>>> the Gibberment immigrations mob stopped you, then escorted you into port
>>> for official unloading before they seized it.
>>>
>>> Until they actually make the asylum application, which can only be done
>>> on British soil, not at sea, even in British waters, they are illegal
>>> immigrants, and both they and you would be subject to arrest.
>>
>> The Royal Yacht Club, AIUI is advising members coming across dingies
>> in difficulty not to take people aboard but to stand by and call the
>> authorities. They fear that innocent rescue may land members in court
>> under the newer, harsher, British definition of people trafficking. I
>> thought the law of the sea trumped national laws but I suppose one has
>> to come off the sea and onto somebody's land at some point.
>
> You just reminded me of something.
> I was reading a work of fiction (USian) in which a party of people were
> on a yacht (pronounced yacht).  Alcohol was being imbibed & when someone
> pointed out that one person was under 21 (Usians, remember) the captain
> of the vessel replied:
>
> "It's OK, we're in international waters so the drinking age is 18."
>
> Do the Laws of the Sea really cover things like that?
>
> Are there speed limits & rules about the distance between street lights?
>
> Sunday shop-opening hours?

When I was running trip boats on The Basingstoke Canal almost 20 years
ago, once we had shoved off from the bank (not the bank) alcohol
licensing laws no longer applied to us. We could and did run a floating
pub as long as it was moving.

Later the law changed and we had to register for each trip that we sold
alcohol on, but we always got permission.

Tone

Re: Channel

<YauVIvWtrrnhFwV0@ku.gro.lloiff>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5575&group=uk.rec.sheds#5575

From: bull...@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 22:21:33 +0000
 by: Adrian - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 22:21 UTC

In message <f08tpg5easmgursfjlbjl7jkm6sr9qop77@4ax.com>, Nick Odell
<nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> writes
>The Royal Yacht Club,

The Royal Yachting Association

--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

Re: Channel

<snnedc$o2d$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5586&group=uk.rec.sheds#5586

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 07:36:09 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 07:36 UTC

Its bloody dangerous in the shipping lanes though. I used to listen to the
vhf marine band and the number of boats owned privately who should know
better that the larger vessels complained about randomly sailing in the
area used to be a lot. When you consider how long it can take a large vessel
to turn or stop, I did often wonder about the intelligence of the weekend
boater.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tone" <email@address.com> wrote in message
> If I was 20 years younger I would sell my narrowboat and buy an old
> landing craft, and spend my days shipping those refugees across the
> channel for �10pp. I wouldn't be exploiting them, it would pay the
> diseasal and it would give me a sensible living, but mainly it would save
> lives.
>
> Tone

Re: Channel

<snohfk$jsr$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5608&group=uk.rec.sheds#5608

From: inva...@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 17:34:44 +0000
 by: soup - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 17:34 UTC

On 24/11/2021 19:20, Tone wrote:
> mainly it would save lives.

As would them staying in France or indeed whatever 'safe' country is
nearest to the country they fled from.

Where is the nearest 'safe' country to Afghanistan and Iraq?

So rather than the French blaming us for not helping the illegals over
the channel, why don't they stop the attempts?

Where are they getting these large(ish) dinghys from?

It can't be beyond the French authorities to find out who is
masterminding these attempts.

Re: Channel

<20211125182703.584e8f5e03a7e4e994464d6e@eircom.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5610&group=uk.rec.sheds#5610

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 18:27:03 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 18:27 UTC

On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 17:34:44 +0000
soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:

> It can't be beyond the French authorities to find out who is
> masterminding these attempts.

It apparently isn't, according to the report I read the organisers
mostly live in luxury in the zbarlous bits of nodnoL and the French would
like the UK ecilops to do something about it. The victims are apparently
sold on the idea that the UK has streets paved with gold or some such
blarney and they'll have a wonderful life - presumably the truth is that
the survivors are used as obscenely low paid labour or slave prostitutes.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Channel

<NL2aolME39nhFw26@ku.gro.lloiff>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5613&group=uk.rec.sheds#5613

From: bull...@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 19:02:28 +0000
 by: Adrian - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 19:02 UTC

In message <snohfk$jsr$1@dont-email.me>, soup <invalid@invalid.com>
writes
>So rather than the French blaming us for not helping the illegals over
> the channel, why don't they stop the attempts?

I suspect that it is because they don't want them there. Help them on
their way to the mid point of the channel and it becomes a SEP.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.

Re: Channel

<j0a6a4FnhooU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5616&group=uk.rec.sheds#5616

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 19:25:55 +0000
 by: Mike Fleming - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 19:25 UTC

On 25/11/2021 18:27, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 17:34:44 +0000
> soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> It can't be beyond the French authorities to find out who is
>> masterminding these attempts.
>
> It apparently isn't, according to the report I read the organisers
> mostly live in luxury in the zbarlous bits of nodnoL and the French would
> like the UK ecilops to do something about it. The victims are apparently
> sold on the idea that the UK has streets paved with gold or some such
> blarney and they'll have a wonderful life - presumably the truth is that
> the survivors are used as obscenely low paid labour or slave prostitutes.

The vast majority are refugees from Syria, Libya, Afghanistan, etc. 60%
or so have their asylum applications approved, 50% of the remainder have
their applications allowed on appeal. The "economic migrant" thing is
pure bollocks put out by the protofascist Home Secretary, who is
probably capering around her office now in glee after the deaths of 27
refugees in the Channel.

Re: Channel

<snoqu9$r7v$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5618&group=uk.rec.sheds#5618

From: ema...@address.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 20:16:12 +0000
 by: Tone - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 20:16 UTC

On 25/11/2021 17:34, soup wrote:
> On 24/11/2021 19:20, Tone wrote:
>> mainly it would save lives.
>
> As would them staying in France or indeed whatever 'safe' country is
> nearest to the country they fled from.
>
>   Where is the nearest 'safe' country to Afghanistan and Iraq?
>
> So rather than the French blaming us for not helping the illegals over
>  the channel, why don't they stop the attempts?
>
>   Where are they getting these large(ish) dinghys from?
>
>   It can't be beyond the French authorities to find out who is
> masterminding these attempts.

If they arrested all the people-traffickers overnight, would it stop the
refugees from attempting the channel crossing?

I doubt it.

Whist I in no way condone people-trafficking, the problem is the
suffering the refugees are subject to in their own countries.

The solution is to give them safe passage.

Tone

Re: Channel

<r6svpgp0eoh256ltsumlh47dvusfu3776d@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5619&group=uk.rec.sheds#5619

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 20:28:06 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 20:28 UTC

On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 18:27:03 +0000, Ahem A Rivet's Shot
<steveo@eircom.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 17:34:44 +0000
>soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> It can't be beyond the French authorities to find out who is
>> masterminding these attempts.
>
> It apparently isn't, according to the report I read the organisers
>mostly live in luxury in the zbarlous bits of nodnoL and the French would
>like the UK ecilops to do something about it. The victims are apparently
>sold on the idea that the UK has streets paved with gold or some such
>blarney and they'll have a wonderful life - presumably the truth is that
>the survivors are used as obscenely low paid labour or slave prostitutes.

Hey! We didn't leave the EU just to have successful business people
arrested in our capital city! Surely one of the reasons we left was
because the direction of EU transparency law was starting to make life
uncomfortable for people like that, plus people like that who also
bank offshore.

Nick

Re: Channel

<20211125202624.496139ef6fb84669703f770a@eircom.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5620&group=uk.rec.sheds#5620

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 20:26:24 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 20:26 UTC

On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 19:25:55 +0000
Mike Fleming <mike@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:

> On 25/11/2021 18:27, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> > On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 17:34:44 +0000
> > soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:
> >
> >> It can't be beyond the French authorities to find out who is
> >> masterminding these attempts.
> >
> > It apparently isn't, according to the report I read the
> > organisers mostly live in luxury in the zbarlous bits of nodnoL and the
> > French would like the UK ecilops to do something about it. The victims
> > are apparently sold on the idea that the UK has streets paved with gold
> > or some such blarney and they'll have a wonderful life - presumably the
> > truth is that the survivors are used as obscenely low paid labour or
> > slave prostitutes.
>
> The vast majority are refugees from Syria, Libya, Afghanistan, etc. 60%
> or so have their asylum applications approved, 50% of the remainder have
> their applications allowed on appeal. The "economic migrant" thing is
> pure bollocks put out by the protofascist Home Secretary, who is
> probably capering around her office now in glee after the deaths of 27
> refugees in the Channel.

The thing is that there are places in France they could go, centres
in Calais and Dunkirk but instead they attempt to cross one of the busiest
sets of shipping lanes in the world to get to the UK. If all they wanted was
escape from war zones then they were already safe in France. According to
French reports it is human trafficking groups based in London that are
organising this madness and charging the victims a lot to get them to the
promised good life in the UK.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Channel

<j0aahtFob4sU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5621&group=uk.rec.sheds#5621

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 20:38:20 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 20:38 UTC

On 25/11/2021 20:16, Tone wrote:

> Whist I in no way condone people-trafficking, the problem is the
> suffering the refugees are subject to in their own countries.

True, no suffering, no refugees.

> The solution is to give them safe passage.

One solution our Gibberment are looking into is allowing them to apply
for asylum while en route, but the countries where it is most likely to
happen are playing their sovereignty cards.

To be honest, though, by comparison with most European contries, we are
getting nowhere near as many as, say, Germany. In 2020, they had
1,210,636 new applicants, while we had 132,349 refugees, 77,245 pending
asylum cases and 4662 stateless persons in the UK. For some reason, the
media are not picking up on this.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Channel

<j0abbiFofj1U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5622&group=uk.rec.sheds#5622

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 20:52:02 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 20:52 UTC

On 25/11/2021 20:26, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> The thing is that there are places in France they could go, centres
> in Calais and Dunkirk but instead they attempt to cross one of the busiest
> sets of shipping lanes in the world to get to the UK. If all they wanted was
> escape from war zones then they were already safe in France. According to
> French reports it is human trafficking groups based in London that are
> organising this madness and charging the victims a lot to get them to the
> promised good life in the UK.

Another point is that, as I discovered when I was thinking of moving
there, if you don't speak French well, you will find it hard to
integrate and get a job in France. Most of the paperwork, for instance,
is only available in French, and if you want to stay permanently or
become a citizen, the interviews are in French with no interpreter
allowed. (Anecdote. I was wandering round Lille a few years ago, and
when I got into a conversation, the other person refused to believe I
actually lived in London, so I could probably fit in after a few months.
He kept asking me "What part of France are you *really* from? I have
spent a lot of time in Paris and Normandy, so my accent is a touch
eccentric. I might get away with it... )

Most of the ones that are trying to get here speak their own language
and English, but no French. A lot of them also have a family connection
to the UK.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Channel

<j0ac0lFoit4U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5623&group=uk.rec.sheds#5623

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 21:03:17 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 21:03 UTC

On 25/11/2021 20:38, John Williamson wrote:
> On 25/11/2021 20:16, Tone wrote:
>
>> Whist I in no way condone people-trafficking, the problem is the
>> suffering the refugees are subject to in their own countries.
>>
> True, no suffering, no refugees.
>
>> The solution is to give them safe passage.
>>
> One solution our Gibberment are looking into is allowing them to apply
> for asylum while en route, but the countries where it is most likely to
> happen are playing their sovereignty cards.
>
> To be honest, though, by comparison with most European contries, we are
> getting nowhere near as many as, say, Germany. In 2020, they had
> 1,210,636 new applicants, while we had 132,349 refugees, 77,245 pending
> asylum cases and 4662 stateless persons in the UK. For some reason, the
> media are not picking up on this.

Oops. They have a *total* of over a million, and our figures also show
the totals. Their new applications in the year up to March 2021 roughly
match our totals.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Channel

<20211125210806.0c4e385836a2d967b0a20e99@eircom.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5625&group=uk.rec.sheds#5625

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 21:08:06 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 21:08 UTC

On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 20:16:12 +0000
Tone <email@address.com> wrote:

> If they arrested all the people-traffickers overnight, would it stop the
> refugees from attempting the channel crossing?

Yes because they probably wouldn't get to France without the
traffickers, but if they did then there would be no reason for them not to
apply there.

> Whist I in no way condone people-trafficking, the problem is the
> suffering the refugees are subject to in their own countries.

Indeed it is.

> The solution is to give them safe passage.

The ideal solution is world peace and universal human rights, I
rather doubt we can have either of those and still have nations but perhaps
the EU model could do the wbo given a couple of centuries or so.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Channel

<slrnsq1bgd.2r3.Greymaus@dmaus.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5633&group=uk.rec.sheds#5633

From: Greym...@mail.com (Maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 26 Nov 2021 09:51:09 GMT
 by: Maus - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 09:51 UTC

On 2021-11-25, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 17:34:44 +0000
> soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> It can't be beyond the French authorities to find out who is
>> masterminding these attempts.
>
> It apparently isn't, according to the report I read the organisers
> mostly live in luxury in the zbarlous bits of nodnoL and the French would
> like the UK ecilops to do something about it. The victims are apparently
> sold on the idea that the UK has streets paved with gold or some such
> blarney and they'll have a wonderful life - presumably the truth is that
> the survivors are used as obscenely low paid labour or slave prostitutes.

++

--
greymausg@mail.com
That's not a mousehole!