From: watcombe...@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Montery vs Big Sur
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 11:46:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 11:46 UTC

I have a 2017 iMac currently running Big Sur. I'm a pretty basic user these
days; I'm not into VPNs, Windows emulation, sharing, multiple screens and the
like.

I'm considering moving from Big Sur to Monterey, but this is a pretty
irreversible provess (at my level of expertise, anyway). So I can't "Try
before you buy".

What sort of differences would I see in the "look and feel" in daily use?
Would I be plagued by frequent appearances of suggestions/options to use
clever facilities that I neither want or need? Or would I be able to carry on
with very little difference in day-to-day use?

And would any of my current applications fall by the wayside? For example,
Intaglio died with Big Sur and I'm trying to get used to Inkscape. Obviously
Pages, Numbers, Safari etc. will be OK, but what about Carbon Copy Cloner,
BBEdit, GraphicConverter, my Canon printers and scanner (particularly
vulnerable, in my experience)? Would I have to start again with Time Machine?

John.

--
An infinitely complex system can fail in an infinite number of ways.

Re: Montery vs Big Sur

<ss3mhm$5e9$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5666&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5666

From: alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Montery vs Big Sur
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 12:13:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 12:13 UTC

John Hill <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I have a 2017 iMac currently running Big Sur. I'm a pretty basic user these
> days; I'm not into VPNs, Windows emulation, sharing, multiple screens and the
> like.
>
> I'm considering moving from Big Sur to Monterey, but this is a pretty
> irreversible provess (at my level of expertise, anyway). So I can't "Try
> before you buy".

There’s always a way back. I kept a bootable Big Sur installer on a USB
stick for a while. Presumably you could use migration assistant if
necessary to get your old apps and data back.

> What sort of differences would I see in the "look and feel" in daily use?
> Would I be plagued by frequent appearances of suggestions/options to use
> clever facilities that I neither want or need? Or would I be able to carry on
> with very little difference in day-to-day use?
>
> And would any of my current applications fall by the wayside? For example,
> Intaglio died with Big Sur and I'm trying to get used to Inkscape. Obviously
> Pages, Numbers, Safari etc. will be OK, but what about Carbon Copy Cloner,
> BBEdit, GraphicConverter, my Canon printers and scanner (particularly
> vulnerable, in my experience)? Would I have to start again with Time Machine?

BBEdit, GC and CCC work fine. I don’t have a Canon printer though. I
started a new TM backup on a new drive, keeping my ‘old’ TM drive in a safe
place in case it was needed.

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Montery vs Big Sur

<170120220858498413%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5669&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5669

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 08:58:49 -0500
 by: nospam - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 13:58 UTC

In article <ss3kva$4f1$1@dont-email.me>, John Hill
<watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm considering moving from Big Sur to Monterey, but this is a pretty
> irreversible provess (at my level of expertise, anyway). So I can't "Try
> before you buy".

install it on an external drive. leave the internal alone.

if you don't like it, switch back to the internal drive.

> What sort of differences would I see in the "look and feel" in daily use?
> Would I be plagued by frequent appearances of suggestions/options to use
> clever facilities that I neither want or need? Or would I be able to carry on
> with very little difference in day-to-day use?

nothing major.

> And would any of my current applications fall by the wayside? For example,
> Intaglio died with Big Sur and I'm trying to get used to Inkscape. Obviously
> Pages, Numbers, Safari etc. will be OK, but what about Carbon Copy Cloner,
> BBEdit, GraphicConverter, my Canon printers and scanner (particularly
> vulnerable, in my experience)?

no issues, unless the canon printer/scanner is very old, in which case
there *might* be a problem.

either way, for scanning, get vuescan or use apple's own image capture
rather than the included scanner software, even if that software works.

> Would I have to start again with Time Machine?

no

Re: Montery vs Big Sur

<4_GdnT5Mod0UBnj8nZ2dnUU7-T2dnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5674&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5674

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: davidken...@gmail.com (David Kennedy)
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 16:38:33 +0000
 by: David Kennedy - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 16:38 UTC

On 17/01/2022 11:46, John Hill wrote:
> I have a 2017 iMac currently running Big Sur. I'm a pretty basic user these
> days; I'm not into VPNs, Windows emulation, sharing, multiple screens and the
> like.
>
> I'm considering moving from Big Sur to Monterey, but this is a pretty
> irreversible provess (at my level of expertise, anyway). So I can't "Try
> before you buy".

Any backups you could revert to?

I'm a recent up-grader but only because I changed machine - I'd gone as far as
I could with the old one so, although it seems OK I can't really comment on
how it would be on an older machine.

> What sort of differences would I see in the "look and feel" in daily use?
> Would I be plagued by frequent appearances of suggestions/options to use
> clever facilities that I neither want or need? Or would I be able to carry on
> with very little difference in day-to-day use?
>
> And would any of my current applications fall by the wayside? For example,
> Intaglio died with Big Sur and I'm trying to get used to Inkscape. Obviously
> Pages, Numbers, Safari etc. will be OK, but what about Carbon Copy Cloner,
> BBEdit, GraphicConverter, my Canon printers and scanner (particularly
> vulnerable, in my experience)? Would I have to start again with Time Machine?
>
> John.

Re: Montery vs Big Sur

<ss62on$1jo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5698&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5698

From: ycl...@outlook.com (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 09:54:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 09:54 UTC

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <ss3kva$4f1$1@dont-email.me>, John Hill
> <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I'm considering moving from Big Sur to Monterey, but this is a pretty
>> irreversible provess (at my level of expertise, anyway). So I can't "Try
>> before you buy".
>
> install it on an external drive. leave the internal alone.

The only spare drive I have is a 10 year old USB2 Iomega. It served for
TimeMachine until I discarded it as unreliable. Too slow to run Big Sur
effectively, so I don't think that it would give a reasonable try out of
Monterey. Maybe I'll look into getting a new external, they're not that
expensive these days.

--
Winning isn't everything, but losing isn't anything - Snoopy.