Microbiology Lab: Staph Only!

aus+uk / uk.rec.audio / Re: Iphone recording from a line out ona PA system?

SubjectAuthor
* Iphone recording from a line out ona PA system?Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
`* Re: Iphone recording from a line out ona PA system?Adrian Caspersz
 `* Re: Iphone recording from a line out ona PA system?Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
  +- Re: Iphone recording from a line out ona PA system?Adrian Caspersz
  `* Re: Iphone recording from a line out ona PA system?Dave Plowman (News)
   `* Re: Iphone recording from a line out ona PA system?Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
    `* Re: Iphone recording from a line out ona PA system?John Armstrong
     `* Re: Iphone recording from a line out ona PA system?Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
      `* Re: Iphone recording from a line out ona PA system?John Armstrong
       `* Re: Iphone recording from a line out ona PA system?Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
        `* Re: Iphone recording from a line out ona PA system?Adrian Caspersz
         `- Re: Iphone recording from a line out ona PA system?Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)

1
Iphone recording from a line out ona PA system?

<sak7s9$n14$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=550&group=uk.rec.audio#550

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Subject: Iphone recording from a line out ona PA system?
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 08:54:43 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Sat, 19 Jun 2021 07:54 UTC

I am in need of a cheap quick fix to getting a line level signal into an I
phone. I have seen many interfaces for the lightning input, but they all
seem to be either overkill, or need a phd and a special appto be made to
work. Cheap and readily available are good.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Re: Iphone recording from a line out ona PA system?

<ij5nrrF88ldU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=551&group=uk.rec.audio#551

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Subject: Re: Iphone recording from a line out ona PA system?
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 09:23:23 +0100
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Sat, 19 Jun 2021 08:23 UTC

On 19/06/2021 08:54, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
> I am in need of a cheap quick fix to getting a line level signal into an I
> phone. I have seen many interfaces for the lightning input, but they all
> seem to be either overkill, or need a phd and a special appto be made to
> work. Cheap and readily available are good
For cheap simplicity, If its got a headphone jack, and you are ok with
mono recording, then use that with software that will record from a headset.

--
Adrian C

Re: Iphone recording from a line out ona PA system?

<samme0$5ji$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=554&group=uk.rec.audio#554

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 07:15:28 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 06:15 UTC

Well that would surely be microphone level and from what I see the
connection is normally a four segment 3.5mm socket, the sort you plug
headsets ion with. That would need another splitter to be made, but from
what I deduce, the phone records from internal mikes unless in the telephone
or facetime app.

"Adrian Caspersz" <email@here.invalid> wrote in message
> On 19/06/2021 08:54, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
>> I am in need of a cheap quick fix to getting a line level signal into an
>> phone. I have seen many interfaces for the lightning input, but they all
>> seem to be either overkill, or need a phd and a special appto be made to
>> work. Cheap and readily available are good
> For cheap simplicity, If its got a headphone jack, and you are ok with
> mono recording, then use that with software that will record from a
> headset.
>
> --
> Adrian C

Re: Iphone recording from a line out ona PA system?

<ij8c8jFniedU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=555&group=uk.rec.audio#555

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 09:23:46 +0100
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 08:23 UTC

On 20/06/2021 07:15, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
> Well that would surely be microphone level and from what I see the
> connection is normally a four segment 3.5mm socket, the sort you plug
> headsets ion with. That would need another splitter to be made, but from
> what I deduce, the phone records from internal mikes unless in the telephone
> or facetime app.

Garageband apparently works according to some youtube videos, and I
don't see folks worrying about levels.

Yeah, you'll need to overcome the socket connection issue. There is an
adaptor called "rode SC4"

--
Adrian C

Re: Iphone recording from a line out ona PA system?

<593f807cbcdave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=556&group=uk.rec.audio#556

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 11:45:44 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 10:45 UTC

In article <samme0$5ji$1@dont-email.me>,
Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Well that would surely be microphone level and from what I see the
> connection is normally a four segment 3.5mm socket, the sort you plug
> headsets ion with. That would need another splitter to be made, but from
> what I deduce, the phone records from internal mikes unless in the
> telephone or facetime app.

Have you Googled for a blue tooth device that allows what you want - given
you can have blue tooth ear buds with mic?

Dunno an i-phone. If it allows a cable headset, you could merely attenuate
the mic input to take a line one. Doubt noise figures matter that much.

--
*This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for extra security *

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Iphone recording from a line out ona PA system?

<sappju$lmj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=557&group=uk.rec.audio#557

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 11:28:11 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Mon, 21 Jun 2021 10:28 UTC

I did try doing a search but it seems the good old articles have all been
replaced by videos so you get, you need one of these or as you can see here
or this little device, and none of the morons names the devices!

"Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <samme0$5ji$1@dont-email.me>,
> Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> Well that would surely be microphone level and from what I see the
>> connection is normally a four segment 3.5mm socket, the sort you plug
>> headsets ion with. That would need another splitter to be made, but from
>> what I deduce, the phone records from internal mikes unless in the
>> telephone or facetime app.
>

> Have you Googled for a blue tooth device that allows what you want - given
> you can have blue tooth ear buds with mic?
>
> Dunno an i-phone. If it allows a cable headset, you could merely attenuate
> the mic input to take a line one. Doubt noise figures matter that much.
>
> --
> *This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for extra security *
>
> Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
> To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Iphone recording from a line out ona PA system?

<03p1dgtt1ucl9oqumvolingjfem5iss72i@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=558&group=uk.rec.audio#558

From: jja...@blueyonder.co.uk (John Armstrong)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 20:30:33 +0100
 by: John Armstrong - Mon, 21 Jun 2021 19:30 UTC

On Mon, 21 Jun 2021 11:28:11 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
<briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>I did try doing a search but it seems the good old articles have all been
>replaced by videos so you get, you need one of these or as you can see here
>or this little device, and none of the morons names the devices!
>
> Brian

I've been away for a few days, and have just picked up on this thread.
I had a similar problem, and this is how I solved it.

In these COVID days, our church made a decision to livestream services
on facebook. I volunteered (silly of me!) to deal with it. We got wifi
installed in the church. I use a fairly recent Samsung S8 phone to
provide the video picture. Problem was sound. I took a feed from the
line output of the church's sound mixer/PA system. Like Brian, I was
concerned about feeding line level into a mic input, so I did some
reading, and got some ideas about attenuation. I was surprised to find
that much less attenuation was required than I thought. it's a very
simple resistive network. I made up a screened audio lead with a 3.5
mm TRRS plug to fit the Samsung phone. Connections are a bit odd,
because S is used as the mic input, and the R next to it is used as
the screen.

Results are surprisingly good, though there is a problem with (I
presume) the automatic audio level control on the phone. I have more
info, and links to our fb stream if anyone is interested. The services
remain on fb so can be looked at again. If anyone wants more info,
please let me know by email.

Re: Iphone recording from a line out ona PA system?

<sas1fj$o7f$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=559&group=uk.rec.audio#559

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 07:54:40 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 06:54 UTC

I think the compounding issue with the Iphone is that it only has a
Lightning connector, and the adaptors you see around are suggesting the are
for headsets, and that presumably means that its not a standard 3.5mm, but
one of those with four or more connections, so some type of break out box
would be needed there to bring the inputs and outputs out to something
usable. Its probably too late now as the event is next Wednesday.
Yes the signal processing can be a real pain, as unless you use the right
software, it cannot be turned off.

"John Armstrong" <jja@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2021 11:28:11 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
> <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>I did try doing a search but it seems the good old articles have all been
>>replaced by videos so you get, you need one of these or as you can see
>>here
>>or this little device, and none of the morons names the devices!
>>
>> Brian
>
> I've been away for a few days, and have just picked up on this thread.
> I had a similar problem, and this is how I solved it.
>
> In these COVID days, our church made a decision to livestream services
> on facebook. I volunteered (silly of me!) to deal with it. We got wifi
> installed in the church. I use a fairly recent Samsung S8 phone to
> provide the video picture. Problem was sound. I took a feed from the
> line output of the church's sound mixer/PA system. Like Brian, I was
> concerned about feeding line level into a mic input, so I did some
> reading, and got some ideas about attenuation. I was surprised to find
> that much less attenuation was required than I thought. it's a very
> simple resistive network. I made up a screened audio lead with a 3.5
> mm TRRS plug to fit the Samsung phone. Connections are a bit odd,
> because S is used as the mic input, and the R next to it is used as
> the screen.
>
> Results are surprisingly good, though there is a problem with (I
> presume) the automatic audio level control on the phone. I have more
> info, and links to our fb stream if anyone is interested. The services
> remain on fb so can be looked at again. If anyone wants more info,
> please let me know by email.

Re: Iphone recording from a line out ona PA system?

<g653dgtlolvv7difdg4eos3tc3u9arpm93@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=560&group=uk.rec.audio#560

From: jja...@blueyonder.co.uk (John Armstrong)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 08:46:06 +0100
 by: John Armstrong - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 07:46 UTC

On Tue, 22 Jun 2021 07:54:40 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
<briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>I think the compounding issue with the Iphone is that it only has a
>Lightning connector, and the adaptors you see around are suggesting the are
>for headsets, and that presumably means that its not a standard 3.5mm, but
>one of those with four or more connections, so some type of break out box
>would be needed there to bring the inputs and outputs out to something
>usable. Its probably too late now as the event is next Wednesday.
> Yes the signal processing can be a real pain, as unless you use the right
>software, it cannot be turned off.
> Brian

Yes indeed. apple's attitude to connectors is a nuisance. (I'm being
polite here!)

Re: Iphone recording from a line out ona PA system?

<saushv$gu5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=564&group=uk.rec.audio#564

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 09:48:58 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 08:48 UTC

It is of course true that 3.5mm jacks are hardly robust and making
waterproof ones is not easy, so in a way I get where they are coming from,
but I have been advised I need a camera kit, which in addition to the camera
input also has easier to get at audio as well, but I don't think I can
really justify buying this when I have no interest in the visual bit in the
slightest. grin.

> On Tue, 22 Jun 2021 07:54:40 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
> <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>I think the compounding issue with the Iphone is that it only has a
>>Lightning connector, and the adaptors you see around are suggesting the
>>are
>>for headsets, and that presumably means that its not a standard 3.5mm, but
>>one of those with four or more connections, so some type of break out box
>>would be needed there to bring the inputs and outputs out to something
>>usable. Its probably too late now as the event is next Wednesday.
>> Yes the signal processing can be a real pain, as unless you use the right
>>software, it cannot be turned off.
>> Brian
>

> Yes indeed. apple's attitude to connectors is a nuisance. (I'm being
> polite here!)

Re: Iphone recording from a line out ona PA system?

<ijh37rFdrvqU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=567&group=uk.rec.audio#567

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 16:44:58 +0100
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 15:44 UTC

On 23/06/2021 09:48, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
> It is of course true that 3.5mm jacks are hardly robust and making
> waterproof ones is not easy, so in a way I get where they are coming from,
> but I have been advised I need a camera kit, which in addition to the camera
> input also has easier to get at audio as well, but I don't think I can
> really justify buying this when I have no interest in the visual bit in the
> slightest. grin.

Complication. The iPhone Camera interface gives the iPhone a OTG USB
port, then you are at the mercy on what device driver is built into iOS
or the software for your chosen USB device.

Why not get a purpose built solid state audio recorder? Looking around,
there are some that are marketed for visually impaired professional
users, and other Chinese wonders.

--
Adrian C

Re: Iphone recording from a line out ona PA system?

<sb19hu$lqe$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=570&group=uk.rec.audio#570

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 07:43:05 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 06:43 UTC

Yes I have a couple of those here, an Olympus and an unbranded one but the
lure was to be able to simply move the file to dropbox on the phone so
somebody in the office could grab it. I've done this with recordings on the
phone very successfully.