From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Subject: Electric seat adjustment fault
Date: 29 Mar 2022 16:21:42 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 16:21 UTC

2020 Kia Soul EV

My wife wanted to adjust the seat back to make it more upright but the seat
wouldn’t move that way, only recline, not go up.

I thought it might be a faulty switch but thankfully discovered that if I
reclined the seat fully and then tried bringing it back up, it would work.

It only goes up once though. If I pause on the way up the switch stops
working again and I have to fully recline it again and start again.

Fortunate that I can work around the issue but annoying.

Anyone any idea what might have gone wrong? Obviously still under warranty
but just curious about the way it’s sort of working now.

Clearly the switch does work but for some reason only after the seat has
been fully reclined and then it only works once.

Car has been turned off and on many times but a “re-boot” hasn’t made any
difference.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Electric seat adjustment fault

<t205a4$10ht$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=572&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#572

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (John Henderson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Subject: Re: Electric seat adjustment fault
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 10:38:42 +1100
 by: John Henderson - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 23:38 UTC

Tim+ wrote:

> 2020 Kia Soul EV
>
> My wife wanted to adjust the seat back to make it more upright but the
> seat wouldn?t move that way, only recline, not go up.
>
> I thought it might be a faulty switch but thankfully discovered that if I
> reclined the seat fully and then tried bringing it back up, it would work.
>
> It only goes up once though. If I pause on the way up the switch stops
> working again and I have to fully recline it again and start again.
>
> Fortunate that I can work around the issue but annoying.
>
> Anyone any idea what might have gone wrong? Obviously still under warranty
> but just curious about the way it?s sort of working now.
>
> Clearly the switch does work but for some reason only after the seat has
> been fully reclined and then it only works once.
>
> Car has been turned off and on many times but a ?re-boot? hasn?t made any
> difference.
>
> Tim

This has all the hallmarks of a software bug, AKA a "feature".

Re: Electric seat adjustment fault

<1246504591.670314853.991082.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=573&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#573

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: 30 Mar 2022 06:36:19 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 06:36 UTC

John Henderson <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Tim+ wrote:
>
>> 2020 Kia Soul EV
>>
>> My wife wanted to adjust the seat back to make it more upright but the
>> seat wouldn?t move that way, only recline, not go up.
>>
>> I thought it might be a faulty switch but thankfully discovered that if I
>> reclined the seat fully and then tried bringing it back up, it would work.
>>
>> It only goes up once though. If I pause on the way up the switch stops
>> working again and I have to fully recline it again and start again.
>>
>> Fortunate that I can work around the issue but annoying.
>>
>> Anyone any idea what might have gone wrong? Obviously still under warranty
>> but just curious about the way it?s sort of working now.
>>
>> Clearly the switch does work but for some reason only after the seat has
>> been fully reclined and then it only works once.
>>
>> Car has been turned off and on many times but a ?re-boot? hasn?t made any
>> difference.
>>
>> Tim
>
> This has all the hallmarks of a software bug, AKA a "feature".

That’s why I tried it after turning off and on. Odd for a new bug to just
“appear” in a car. It’s always worked perfectly before.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Electric seat adjustment fault

<jajq5sF7bblU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=574&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#574

From: mills37....@gmail.com (Roger Mills)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 20:42:52 +0100
 by: Roger Mills - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 19:42 UTC

On 30/03/2022 07:36, Tim+ wrote:
> John Henderson <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> Tim+ wrote:
>>
>>> 2020 Kia Soul EV
>>>
>>> My wife wanted to adjust the seat back to make it more upright but the
>>> seat wouldn?t move that way, only recline, not go up.
>>>
>>> I thought it might be a faulty switch but thankfully discovered that if I
>>> reclined the seat fully and then tried bringing it back up, it would work.
>>>
>>> It only goes up once though. If I pause on the way up the switch stops
>>> working again and I have to fully recline it again and start again.
>>>
>>> Fortunate that I can work around the issue but annoying.
>>>
>>> Anyone any idea what might have gone wrong? Obviously still under warranty
>>> but just curious about the way it?s sort of working now.
>>>
>>> Clearly the switch does work but for some reason only after the seat has
>>> been fully reclined and then it only works once.
>>>
>>> Car has been turned off and on many times but a ?re-boot? hasn?t made any
>>> difference.
>>>
>>> Tim
>>
>> This has all the hallmarks of a software bug, AKA a "feature".
>>

> That’s why I tried it after turning off and on. Odd for a new bug to just
> “appear” in a car. It’s always worked perfectly before.
>
> Tim

Could it be that it's losing track of the current position, but relining
it fully resets it - until it stops again?

--
Cheers,
Roger