Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 12:46:54 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Do not frighten drivers and keep the noise down: Richmond Park's new
code of conduct for cyclists
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 11 May 2021 19:46 UTC

Listen up, there is a new code of conduct (link is external) from Richmond Park Cyclists for people riding bikes in Richmond Park. Personal highlights include: 'Keep it down' and the one about trying not to frighten drivers. Cyclists have been asked to consider riding in single file, 'filter gently through stationary traffic so as not to startle' and to only use verbal signals 'when necessary'.

The code of conduct comes at a time of growing calls to ban through traffic from the park. In February, shocking pictures emerged on social media of the aftermath of a collision involving a driver and a cyclist, which left a woman in hospital and the car wrecked a short distance away off the road.

Richmond Park Cyclists says the code of conduct is about: "Creating a safe and welcoming environment for every type of cyclist and other park visitors.. Put together with the help of the Royal Parks Police, The Royal Parks, the Friends of Richmond Park and our subscribers."

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-11-may-2021-283239

Re: Do not frighten drivers and keep the noise down: Richmond Park's new code of conduct for cyclists

<2b6e6cf7-d307-47c4-a19b-e6c325cd9021n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=609&group=uk.rec.cycling#609

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 12:08:43 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Do not frighten drivers and keep the noise down: Richmond Park's
new code of conduct for cyclists
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Thu, 13 May 2021 19:08 UTC

On Tuesday, 11 May 2021 at 20:46:55 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Listen up, there is a new code of conduct (link is external) from Richmond Park Cyclists for people riding bikes in Richmond Park. Personal highlights include: 'Keep it down' and the one about trying not to frighten drivers.. Cyclists have been asked to consider riding in single file, 'filter gently through stationary traffic so as not to startle' and to only use verbal signals 'when necessary'.
>
> The code of conduct comes at a time of growing calls to ban through traffic from the park. In February, shocking pictures emerged on social media of the aftermath of a collision involving a driver and a cyclist, which left a woman in hospital and the car wrecked a short distance away off the road.
>
> Richmond Park Cyclists says the code of conduct is about: "Creating a safe and welcoming environment for every type of cyclist and other park visitors. Put together with the help of the Royal Parks Police, The Royal Parks, the Friends of Richmond Park and our subscribers."
>
> https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-11-may-2021-283239

We have been told many times congestion is caused by cyclists 'holding up traffic'. So it follows logically if motor vehicles are banned from royal parks more cyclists will use them and 'traffic' will flow freely on the roads surrounding said parks. Win-win.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Do not frighten drivers and keep the noise down: Richmond Park's new code of conduct for cyclists