From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Subject: Re: Oil stop leak products - which one works?
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 11:05:29 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Tue, 27 Apr 2021 10:05 UTC

In article <YfidnY7Igo5jQxv9nZ2dnUU78QvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>,
newshound <newshound@stevejqr.plus.com> wrote:
> Interesting. I can see how something that softened and increased the
> elasticity of a lip seal that had become hardened by temperature might
> work. My impression is that you don't see as many hardened seals as you
> used to (or as many oil leaks). I suspect manufacturers are selecting
> higher performance rubbers as people have become less tolerant of leaks.
> (As an aside, the reduction in oil consumption from better bore finish
> and ring design over the past 50 years is astonishing, to my mind).

Think the big difference is cars no longer have cast iron blocks with the
pistons running directly in that. Either liners made out of much better
steel - or of course chemically treated ally bores.

Much the same as the cylinder heads. You don't need routine valve grinds
these days either - unlike when they were cast iron. And I've no doubt
modern oils help too.

--
*How much deeper would the oceans be without sponges? *

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.