From: daniele-...@invalid.com (D.M. Procida)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Uploading photos to iCloud
Date: 29 Jan 2022 12:23:13 GMT
 by: D.M. Procida - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 12:23 UTC

Bloody hell it's slow.

Also, although I see the photos landing one by one in the iCloud library (and
appearing on other devices), and I see the folder/album hierarchy replicated
too, none of the new photos are actually appearing in their albums.

I'm hoping that it's going to do that at some point...

Daniele

Re: Uploading photos to iCloud

<st3euk$h88$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5857&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5857

From: thewildr...@icloud.com (Andy Hewitt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Uploading photos to iCloud
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 13:20:20 +0000
 by: Andy Hewitt - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 13:20 UTC

On 29/01/2022 12:23, D.M. Procida wrote:
> Bloody hell it's slow.
>
> Also, although I see the photos landing one by one in the iCloud library (and
> appearing on other devices), and I see the folder/album hierarchy replicated
> too, none of the new photos are actually appearing in their albums.
>
> I'm hoping that it's going to do that at some point...

Yes, you need to be patient, there's more going on than just uploading.
Don't forget that if you have multiple devices on the same network, some
of these will start downloading at the same time as you're uploading on
the source device. That will slow things down. It could help to turn off
cloud syncing on the other devices until it's completed the initial upload.

Also, it's not just uploading, it's also analysing the images, applying
search phrases, looking for GPS data, and looking for People/Faces.

My larger library took a couple of days to upload initially, then a few
more days to complete the 'curation'. It's normal to initially see empty
folders and albums, but they will fill up eventually.

You might see this happening quicker if you check your iCloud account
online using a browser - that will show what's uploaded before it
propagates to other devices.

However, to put that into context, then I tried this with the Lightroom
cloud system, it took almost a week to upload, then it was over a month
before the search feature worked.

And of course don't forget your broadband. Uploads are typically slower
than download, mine is an 80/20 Fibre, so I get 67-70Mbps download and
19Mbps upload. If anything else uses that, of course you won't get all
of that on every device.

But, as said, be patient, try not to start clicking and prodding stuff
until it's had a chance to finish processing stuff. That just add to
slowing things down.

You can check progress by opening Photos, going to All Photos view,
scroll to the bottom, and you'll see some data, showing how many
images/videos there are. Under that is a message showing how many left
to upload/download, and whether it's 'updating in progress' or indeed,
eventually, 'Last Updated ...'.

--
Andy H

Re: Uploading photos to iCloud

<j5lcc7FhfapU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5859&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5859

From: daniele-...@invalid.com (D.M. Procida)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 29 Jan 2022 17:38:15 GMT
 by: D.M. Procida - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 17:38 UTC

On 29 Jan 2022 at 13:20:20 GMT, "Andy Hewitt" <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:

> On 29/01/2022 12:23, D.M. Procida wrote:
>> Bloody hell it's slow.
>>
>> Also, although I see the photos landing one by one in the iCloud library (and
>> appearing on other devices), and I see the folder/album hierarchy replicated
>> too, none of the new photos are actually appearing in their albums.
>>
>> I'm hoping that it's going to do that at some point...
>
> It's normal to initially see empty
> folders and albums, but they will fill up eventually.

Indeed, I was out for a few hours and returned to find them slowly being
populated.

Daniele