Try to relax and enjoy the crisis. -- Ashleigh Brilliant

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: Radio Times/BBC Credits and Spoilers - week ending 10th to 13th May 2021

SubjectAuthor
* Radio Times/BBC Credits and Spoilers - week ending 10th to 13th Maycarolet
`* Re: Radio Times/BBC Credits and Spoilers - week ending 10th to 13th May 2021Nick Odell
 +- Re: Radio Times/BBC Credits and Spoilers - week ending 10th to 13thkrw
 `* Re: Radio Times/BBC Credits and Spoilers - week ending 10th to 13thcarolet
  +- Re: Radio Times/BBC Credits and Spoilers - week ending 10th to 13thkrw
  `* Re: Radio Times/BBC Credits and Spoilers - week ending 10th to 13th May 2021Nick Odell
   `* Re: Radio Times/BBC Credits and Spoilers - week ending 10thMike McMillan
    `* Re: Radio Times/BBC Credits and Spoilers - week ending 10th to 13th May 2021Nick Odell
     `- Re: Radio Times/BBC Credits and Spoilers - week ending 10thMike McMillan

1
Radio Times/BBC Credits and Spoilers - week ending 10th to 13th May 2021

<s75mo4$7k9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=442&group=uk.media.radio.archers#442

From: carolet....@gmail.com (carolet)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Radio Times/BBC Credits and Spoilers - week ending 10th to 13th May
2021
Date: Sat, 8 May 2021 10:47:49 +0100
 by: carolet - Sat, 8 May 2021 09:47 UTC

Cast :
Josh Archer - Angus Imrie
Brian Aldridge - Charles Collingwood
Jennifer Aldridge - Angela Piper
Alice Carter - Hollie Chapman
Chris Carter - Wilf Scolding
Neil Carter - Brian Hewlett
Susan Carter - Charlotte Martin
Vince Casey - Tony Turner
Ruairi Donovan - Arthur Hughes
Rex Fairbrother - Nick Barber
Emma Grundy - Emerald O'Hanrahan
Joy Horville - Jackie Lye
Kate Madikane - Perdita Avery
Elizabeth Pargetter - Alison Dowling
Fallon Rogers - Joanna van Kampen

Director : Rosemary Watts
Editor : Jeremy Howe
Writer : Helen Aitken
Writer : Sarah Hehir

Spoilers:
Monday 10th - Susan attempts to pick up the pieces but Jennifer’s
feeling helpless.
Tuesday 11th - Chris pulls no punches and Joy lets Elizabeth in on a secret.
Wednesday 12th - Fallon wants tongues to stop wagging but Emma can’t
hold hers any longer.
Thursday 13th - Josh and Rex walk on eggshells and Ruari offers an olive
branch.

--
CaroleT

Re: Radio Times/BBC Credits and Spoilers - week ending 10th to 13th May 2021

<77cd9gp9pd52729deo5njhuk57c5bg09bc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=444&group=uk.media.radio.archers#444

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Radio Times/BBC Credits and Spoilers - week ending 10th to 13th May 2021
Date: Sat, 08 May 2021 16:48:08 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Sat, 8 May 2021 15:48 UTC

On Sat, 8 May 2021 10:47:49 +0100, carolet <carolet.umrat@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Director : Rosemary Watts
>Editor : Jeremy Howe
>Writer : Helen Aitken
>Writer : Sarah Hehir

I hadn't really paid attention to these writers names before but
Google tells me that this is Helen Aitken's third outing and Sarah
Hehir has been writing since the middle of last year.

I think this is the first time they have been paired together and I
notice that Sarah Hehir has hardly ever been paired with the same
writer twice.

I'm curious about whether the pattern of pairings is based on who's
available and when; a random lucky dip; writers' own preferences or a
deliberate attempt to throw different writers together and see which
pairs gell?

Nick

Re: Radio Times/BBC Credits and Spoilers - week ending 10th to 13th May 2021

<s76k88$6gh$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=445&group=uk.media.radio.archers#445

From: krw...@whitnet.uk (krw)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Radio Times/BBC Credits and Spoilers - week ending 10th to 13th
May 2021
Date: Sat, 8 May 2021 19:11:21 +0100
 by: krw - Sat, 8 May 2021 18:11 UTC

On 8.5.21 16:48, Nick Odell wrote; my response is lower down:
> whether the pattern of pairings is based on who's
> available and when

Would be my guess. Although why we have not reverted to full output is
impossible to understand.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Radio Times/BBC Credits and Spoilers - week ending 10th to 13th May 2021

<s7e8ju$qj7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=559&group=uk.media.radio.archers#559

From: carolet....@gmail.com (carolet)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
May 2021
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 16:41:56 +0100
 by: carolet - Tue, 11 May 2021 15:41 UTC

On 08/05/2021 16:48, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Sat, 8 May 2021 10:47:49 +0100, carolet <carolet.umrat@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Director : Rosemary Watts
>> Editor : Jeremy Howe
>> Writer : Helen Aitken
>> Writer : Sarah Hehir
>>
> I hadn't really paid attention to these writers names before but
> Google tells me that this is Helen Aitken's third outing and Sarah
> Hehir has been writing since the middle of last year.
>
> I think this is the first time they have been paired together and I
> notice that Sarah Hehir has hardly ever been paired with the same
> writer twice.
>
> I'm curious about whether the pattern of pairings is based on who's
> available and when; a random lucky dip; writers' own preferences or a
> deliberate attempt to throw different writers together and see which
> pairs gell?
>
> Nick

It looks rather like a deliberate attempt to try all possible pairings.
So far this year we've had:

Caroline Harrington & Sarah Hehir - twice
Keri Davies & Naylah Ahmed - twice
Adrian Flynn & Tim Stimpson - once
Adrian Flynn & Daniel Thurman - once
Adrian Flynn & Liz John - once
Adrian Flynn & Katie Hims - once
Caroline Harrington & Nick Warburton - once
Caroline Harrington & Sarah McDonald Hughes - once
Helen Aitken & Sarah Hehir - once
Helen Aitken & Katie Hims - once
Julie Beckett & Tim Stimpson - once
Katie Hims & Liz John - once
Katie Hims & Daniel Thurman - once
Keri Davies & Sarah Hehir - once
Keri Davies & Sarah McDonald Hughes - once
Liz John & Tim Stimpson - once
Sarah McDonald Hughes & Daniel Thurman - once
Sarah McDonald Hughes & Tim Stimpson - once

Perhaps going back further would show more of a pattern, but I can't be
bothered to do that.

I had been assuming that each writer was writing two episodes more or
less independently, in much the same way that they had previously been
writing six episodes at a time. Clearly something must be done to ensure
that everything goes seemlessly from one writer to the next and perhaps
some consultation might be needed between one writer and the next, but
maybe everything is co-ordinated by the editor, directors or some such.
If so, perhaps there is not much benefit in having particular pairs of
writers working on a single week, no more than there would previously
have been having a particular pairs work on a single fortnight.

--
CaroleT

Re: Radio Times/BBC Credits and Spoilers - week ending 10th to 13th May 2021

<s7e8ps$fqp$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=560&group=uk.media.radio.archers#560

From: krw...@whitnet.uk (krw)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
May 2021
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 16:45:01 +0100
 by: krw - Tue, 11 May 2021 15:45 UTC

On 11.5.21 16:41, carolet wrote; my response is lower down:
> On 08/05/2021 16:48, Nick Odell wrote:
>> On Sat, 8 May 2021 10:47:49 +0100, carolet <carolet.umrat@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Director    :    Rosemary Watts
>>> Editor    :    Jeremy Howe
>>> Writer    :    Helen Aitken
>>> Writer    :    Sarah Hehir
>>>
>> I hadn't really paid attention to these writers names before but
>> Google tells me that this is Helen Aitken's third outing and Sarah
>> Hehir has been writing since the middle of last year.
>>
>> I think this is the first time they have been paired together and I
>> notice that Sarah Hehir has hardly ever been paired with the same
>> writer twice.
>>
>> I'm curious about whether the pattern of pairings is based on who's
>> available and when; a random lucky dip; writers' own preferences or a
>> deliberate attempt to throw different writers together and see which
>> pairs gell?
>>
>> Nick
>>

> It looks rather like a deliberate attempt to try all possible pairings.
> So far this year we've had:
>
> Caroline Harrington & Sarah Hehir - twice
> Keri Davies & Naylah Ahmed - twice
> Adrian Flynn & Tim Stimpson - once
> Adrian Flynn & Daniel Thurman - once
> Adrian Flynn & Liz John - once
> Adrian Flynn & Katie Hims - once
> Caroline Harrington & Nick Warburton - once
> Caroline Harrington & Sarah McDonald Hughes - once
> Helen Aitken & Sarah Hehir - once
> Helen Aitken & Katie Hims - once
> Julie Beckett & Tim Stimpson - once
> Katie Hims & Liz John - once
> Katie Hims & Daniel Thurman - once
> Keri Davies & Sarah Hehir - once
> Keri Davies & Sarah McDonald Hughes - once
> Liz John & Tim Stimpson - once
> Sarah McDonald Hughes & Daniel Thurman - once
> Sarah McDonald Hughes & Tim Stimpson - once
>
> Perhaps going back further would show more of a pattern, but I can't be
> bothered to do that.
>

> I had been assuming that each writer was writing two episodes more or
> less independently, in much the same way that they had previously been
> writing six episodes at a time. Clearly something must be done to ensure
> that everything goes seemlessly from one writer to the next and perhaps
> some consultation might be needed between one writer and the next, but
> maybe everything is co-ordinated by the editor, directors or some such.
> If so, perhaps there is not much benefit in having particular pairs of
> writers working on a single week, no more than there would previously
> have been having a particular pairs work on a single fortnight.

Elsewhere I believe Keri has said they are not writing to the normal
lead times and so they are writing two days each as that is all they can
manage between setting the week's contents and needing to deliver it to
management. I assume this is a paper bag which management has devised
and cannot now fight their way out to normality.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Radio Times/BBC Credits and Spoilers - week ending 10th to 13th May 2021

<r6rl9glrl1dajjf8p9ih4t8pqedjjuago2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=564&group=uk.media.radio.archers#564

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 21:55:34 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Tue, 11 May 2021 20:55 UTC

On Tue, 11 May 2021 16:41:56 +0100, carolet <carolet.umrat@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 08/05/2021 16:48, Nick Odell wrote:
>> On Sat, 8 May 2021 10:47:49 +0100, carolet <carolet.umrat@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Director : Rosemary Watts
>>> Editor : Jeremy Howe
>>> Writer : Helen Aitken
>>> Writer : Sarah Hehir
>>>
>> I hadn't really paid attention to these writers names before but
>> Google tells me that this is Helen Aitken's third outing and Sarah
>> Hehir has been writing since the middle of last year.
>>
>> I think this is the first time they have been paired together and I
>> notice that Sarah Hehir has hardly ever been paired with the same
>> writer twice.
>>
>> I'm curious about whether the pattern of pairings is based on who's
>> available and when; a random lucky dip; writers' own preferences or a
>> deliberate attempt to throw different writers together and see which
>> pairs gell?
>>
>> Nick
>>

>It looks rather like a deliberate attempt to try all possible pairings.
>So far this year we've had:
>
>Caroline Harrington & Sarah Hehir - twice
>Keri Davies & Naylah Ahmed - twice
>Adrian Flynn & Tim Stimpson - once
>Adrian Flynn & Daniel Thurman - once
>Adrian Flynn & Liz John - once
>Adrian Flynn & Katie Hims - once
>Caroline Harrington & Nick Warburton - once
>Caroline Harrington & Sarah McDonald Hughes - once
>Helen Aitken & Sarah Hehir - once
>Helen Aitken & Katie Hims - once
>Julie Beckett & Tim Stimpson - once
>Katie Hims & Liz John - once
>Katie Hims & Daniel Thurman - once
>Keri Davies & Sarah Hehir - once
>Keri Davies & Sarah McDonald Hughes - once
>Liz John & Tim Stimpson - once
>Sarah McDonald Hughes & Daniel Thurman - once
>Sarah McDonald Hughes & Tim Stimpson - once
>
>Perhaps going back further would show more of a pattern, but I can't be
>bothered to do that.
>

>I had been assuming that each writer was writing two episodes more or
>less independently, in much the same way that they had previously been
>writing six episodes at a time. Clearly something must be done to ensure
>that everything goes seemlessly from one writer to the next and perhaps
>some consultation might be needed between one writer and the next, but
>maybe everything is co-ordinated by the editor, directors or some such.
>If so, perhaps there is not much benefit in having particular pairs of
>writers working on a single week, no more than there would previously
>have been having a particular pairs work on a single fortnight.

Gosh! Thanks for that.

I am now imagining The Archers' version of those giant scriptwriters
conferences so beloved of producers of American TV soaps but now
conducted on Zoom. I imagine them discussing the next six years and
six months and then getting down to the detail of the next six weeks
where the editor sends them off as pairs to write their portion of
what had been agreed in the group discussion. I guess it helps the
programme flow between writers and avoids too many gaffes where no
character this week mentions that scene in the village last week where
(say) a low-loader ran out of control down the village and the giant
cast-iron pipe it was carrying broke free and demolished The Bull and
five other houses.

Nick
PS I found tonight's episode totally absorbing. At the end of it I was
still standing by the sink but I hadn't washed up a thing.

Re: Radio Times/BBC Credits and Spoilers - week ending 10th to 13th May 2021

<IHLmI.342123$OGU1.281376@fx03.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=582&group=uk.media.radio.archers#582

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Radio Times/BBC Credits and Spoilers - week ending 10th
to 13th May 2021
From: mke.mcmi...@ntlworld.com (Mike McMillan)
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 07:44:40 GMT
 by: Mike McMillan - Wed, 12 May 2021 07:44 UTC

Nick Odell <nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote:
> [...]
> conferences so beloved of producers of American TV soaps but now
> conducted on Zoom. I imagine them discussing the next six years and
> six months and then getting down to the detail of the next six weeks
> where the editor sends them off as pairs to write their portion of
> what had been agreed in the group discussion. I guess it helps the
> programme flow between writers and avoids too many gaffes where no
> character this week mentions that scene in the village last week where
> (say) a low-loader ran out of control down the village and the giant
> cast-iron pipe it was carrying broke free and demolished The Bull and
> five other houses.
>
> Nick
> PS I found tonight's episode totally absorbing. At the end of it I was
> still standing by the sink but I hadn't washed up a thing.

Ah but Nick, was it the scene with the Jumbo Jet crashing onto Gay Grables
thus wiping out the entire staff and ensuring an insurance claim would
pay-off all Ollie’s debts, or, the scene with the Fire Appliances on their
way to GG that were just too much weight on the bridge over the Am and
crashed into the river and thereby also causing pollution as all the fuel
leaked into the water, or, was it the scene where Alliss threw Martha into
the gin still when she couldn’t open the valve to get a swig, or was it the
scene where the bank robbers were making their getaway when they ran over
Jim as he was leaving the shop, or, was it the scene with the Bull being
overwhelmed by the flood caused by the Am being blocked by the Fire
Appliance….. Altogether the usual sort of mundane day that the locals
witness in Ambridge - or was it something in the last 10 minutes of the
tale that grabbed your attention that I have forgotten about Nick?

Re: Radio Times/BBC Credits and Spoilers - week ending 10th to 13th May 2021

<ed3n9gpiq5193u79s45qvnmpjr4tmpf94n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=584&group=uk.media.radio.archers#584

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 09:12:44 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Wed, 12 May 2021 08:12 UTC

On Wed, 12 May 2021 07:44:40 GMT, Mike McMillan
<mke.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> [...]
>thus wiping out the entire staff and ensuring an insurance claim would
>pay-off all Ollie’s debts, or, the scene with the Fire Appliances on their
>way to GG that were just too much weight on the bridge over the Am and
>crashed into the river and thereby also causing pollution as all the fuel
>leaked into the water, or, was it the scene where Alliss threw Martha into
>the gin still when she couldn’t open the valve to get a swig, or was it the
>scene where the bank robbers were making their getaway when they ran over
>Jim as he was leaving the shop, or, was it the scene with the Bull being
>overwhelmed by the flood caused by the Am being blocked by the Fire
>Appliance….. Altogether the usual sort of mundane day that the locals
>witness in Ambridge - or was it something in the last 10 minutes of the
>tale that grabbed your attention that I have forgotten about Nick?

That's done it!

You've totally ruined Sunday enjoyment for OmniRats :-(

I hope you are pleased with yourself for that.

Nick

Re: Radio Times/BBC Credits and Spoilers - week ending 10th to 13th May 2021

<aqMmI.356764$qtBf.88250@fx43.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=587&group=uk.media.radio.archers#587

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
to 13th May 2021
From: mke.mcmi...@ntlworld.com (Mike McMillan)
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 08:34:14 GMT
 by: Mike McMillan - Wed, 12 May 2021 08:34 UTC

Nick Odell <nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 12 May 2021 07:44:40 GMT, Mike McMillan
> <mke.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> Nick Odell <nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote:

>>> Gosh! Thanks for that.
>>>
>>> I am now imagining The Archers' version of those giant scriptwriters
>>> conferences so beloved of producers of American TV soaps but now
>>> conducted on Zoom. I imagine them discussing the next six years and
>>> six months and then getting down to the detail of the next six weeks
>>> where the editor sends them off as pairs to write their portion of
>>> what had been agreed in the group discussion. I guess it helps the
>>> programme flow between writers and avoids too many gaffes where no
>>> character this week mentions that scene in the village last week where
>>> (say) a low-loader ran out of control down the village and the giant
>>> cast-iron pipe it was carrying broke free and demolished The Bull and
>>> five other houses.
>>>
>>> Nick
>>> PS I found tonight's episode totally absorbing. At the end of it I was
>>> still standing by the sink but I hadn't washed up a thing.
>>>

>> Ah but Nick, was it the scene with the Jumbo Jet crashing onto Gay Grables
>> thus wiping out the entire staff and ensuring an insurance claim would
>> pay-off all Ollie’s debts, or, the scene with the Fire Appliances on their
>> way to GG that were just too much weight on the bridge over the Am and
>> crashed into the river and thereby also causing pollution as all the fuel
>> leaked into the water, or, was it the scene where Alliss threw Martha into
>> the gin still when she couldn’t open the valve to get a swig, or was it the
>> scene where the bank robbers were making their getaway when they ran over
>> Jim as he was leaving the shop, or, was it the scene with the Bull being
>> overwhelmed by the flood caused by the Am being blocked by the Fire
>> Appliance….. Altogether the usual sort of mundane day that the locals
>> witness in Ambridge - or was it something in the last 10 minutes of the
>> tale that grabbed your attention that I have forgotten about Nick?
>
> That's done it!
>
> You've totally ruined Sunday enjoyment for OmniRats :-(
>
> I hope you are pleased with yourself for that.
>
> Nick

Yes, but I’ve only mentioned / given away some of what happened in the
first 2.5 mins - the rest awaits all omnirats!

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: Radio Times/BBC Credits and Spoilers - week ending 10th to 13th May 2021