Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 08:43:31 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: me...@privacy.net (NY)
Subject: Raildar maps no longer displaying
 by: NY - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 07:43 UTC

I notice that the live maps on raildar.co.uk are no longer displaying.
Does anyone know what's gone wrong or when/whether it will be fixed?

Re: Raildar maps no longer displaying

<k8knj5Fts1eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=58652&group=uk.railway#58652

From: bob.mar...@excite.com (Bob Martin)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Raildar maps no longer displaying
Date: 30 Mar 2023 06:12:53 GMT
 by: Bob Martin - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 06:12 UTC

On 29 Mar 2023 at 07:43:31, NY <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> I notice that the live maps on raildar.co.uk are no longer displaying.
> Does anyone know what's gone wrong or when/whether it will be fixed?

Working OK for me.

Re: Raildar maps no longer displaying

<u03lm4$q5ne$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=58678&group=uk.railway#58678

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 10:44:29 +0100
 by: NY - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 09:44 UTC

"Bob Martin" <bob.martin@excite.com> wrote in message
> On 29 Mar 2023 at 07:43:31, NY <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>> I notice that the live maps on raildar.co.uk are no longer displaying.
>> Does anyone know what's gone wrong or when/whether it will be fixed?
>
> Working OK for me.

Ah, I see what the problem is. They seem to have removed the ability to
bookmark a map that is centred on a specific station, using a URL of the
form raildar.co.uk/map/LDS. That URL now gives a blank screen (no map) apart
from a bit of "furniture" around the edge such as search box, zoom sllider
and Raildar logo.

Now when you click on the Map link, the URL remains as
raildar.co.uk/radar.html even after you search for a specific station. My
browsers were still set to use the old syntax. Odd that there seems to be no
way any more of bookmarking a specific station.

However they seem to have problems. I'm getting a greyed-out map with a
Google message "This page can't load Google Maps correctly":
https://i.postimg.cc/j5DQHhc0/Raildar-Windows.png The map remains greyed
even after I acknowledge the message and dismiss that dialogue box.

Seems that the Raildar app on Android doesn't work on newer versions of
Android (eg 13).

I discovered all of this when I was copying across browser links from an
old, point-of-death (*) Android 8 phone to my new Android 13 phone. No great
loss if it doesn't work properly.

(*) Reboots or locks up at random times, sometimes as early as when it is
completing the boot just after drawing my security pattern - happens even if
I remove the SD card and no matter whether on full battery or connected to
charger. Tried restoring to factory state (in case of OS corruption) but to
no avail. Utterly buggered. It's had a good life.

Re: Raildar maps no longer displaying

<u03lqn$q6po$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=58679&group=uk.railway#58679

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 10:47:08 +0100
 by: NY - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 09:47 UTC

"NY" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote in message
> "Bob Martin" <bob.martin@excite.com> wrote in message
>> On 29 Mar 2023 at 07:43:31, NY <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>>> I notice that the live maps on raildar.co.uk are no longer displaying.
>>> Does anyone know what's gone wrong or when/whether it will be fixed?
>>
>> Working OK for me.
>
> Ah, I see what the problem is. They seem to have removed the ability to
> bookmark a map that is centred on a specific station, using a URL of the
> form raildar.co.uk/map/LDS. That URL now gives a blank screen (no map)
> apart from a bit of "furniture" around the edge such as search box, zoom
> sllider and Raildar logo.
>
> Now when you click on the Map link, the URL remains as
> raildar.co.uk/radar.html even after you search for a specific station. My
> browsers were still set to use the old syntax. Odd that there seems to be
> no way any more of bookmarking a specific station.

Ah, it was "Junction Maps" that I was using. That does still use a URL of
raildar.co.uk/map/LDS and it's broken. I'll email them...

Re: Raildar maps no longer displaying

<ghqb2ihcgibdu3dij6aara71nk6dh725k7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=58730&group=uk.railway#58730

From: use...@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk (Mark Goodge)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 20:12:51 +0000
 by: Mark Goodge - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 20:12 UTC

On Thu, 30 Mar 2023 10:44:29 +0100, "NY" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:

>However they seem to have problems. I'm getting a greyed-out map with a
>Google message "This page can't load Google Maps correctly":
>https://i.postimg.cc/j5DQHhc0/Raildar-Windows.png The map remains greyed
>even after I acknowledge the message and dismiss that dialogue box.

That's either because the site is exceeding its Google Maps quota, or
because there's an issue with the payment method set up for the account.

Any use of Google's chargeable APIs now requires you to set up a Billing
Account and add a credit card to it, even if you manage to keep your usage
below the monthly $200 credit. If you click on the "Do you own this
website?" message in the dialogue box, you end up at this page:

https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/error-messages?utm_source=maps_js&utm_medium=degraded&utm_campaign=billing#api-key-and-billing-errors
or https://tinyurl.com/46r8aefj

Mark

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Raildar maps no longer displaying