All great discoveries are made by mistake. -- Young

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Location identification please?

SubjectAuthor
* Location identification please?Alan Lee
`* Location identification please?Alan Lee
 +* Location identification please?Graeme Wall
 |`* Location identification please?Marland
 | +* Location identification please?Recliner
 | |`* Location identification please?Marland
 | | `* Location identification please?Recliner
 | |  `* Location identification please?Anna Noyd-Dryver
 | |   `* Location identification please?Recliner
 | |    `* Location identification please?Anna Noyd-Dryver
 | |     `- Location identification please?Marland
 | `- Location identification please?Anna Noyd-Dryver
 `- Location identification please?Theo

1
Location identification please?

<tvq9ud$2r9om$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=58391&group=uk.railway#58391

From: ala...@darkroom.plus.com (Alan Lee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Location identification please?
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 21:29:01 +0100
 by: Alan Lee - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 20:29 UTC

I was in Leicester North station yesterday, they have an oil painting on
the wall, a GWR engine, on a viaduct, but they do not know the location.
Under it is a plaque with some details, but again, it gives no clues.
It could be a made up location, with the Artists interpretation of a
location.
Any idea of where it could be?
Anyway, the pics are linked below:

<http://www.maydavid.co.uk/gwrengine.jpg>
<http://www.maydavid.co.uk/plaque.jpg>

--
Remove the '+' and replace with 'plus' to reply by email

Re: Location identification please?

<u0766p$1gqbk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=58793&group=uk.railway#58793

From: ala...@darkroom.plus.com (Alan Lee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Location identification please?
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 18:44:57 +0100
 by: Alan Lee - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 17:44 UTC

On 26/03/2023 21:29, Alan Lee wrote:
> I was in Leicester North station yesterday, they have an oil painting on
> the wall, a GWR engine, on a viaduct, but they do not know the location.
> Under it is a plaque with some details, but again, it gives no clues.
> It could be a made up location, with the Artists interpretation of a
> location.
> Any idea of where it could be?
> Anyway, the pics are linked below:
>
> <http://www.maydavid.co.uk/gwrengine.jpg>
> <http://www.maydavid.co.uk/plaque.jpg>

From another group, it has been identified as Reading West station.
--
Remove the '+' and replace with 'plus' to reply by email

Re: Location identification please?

<u08l4f$1qif0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=58830&group=uk.railway#58830

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 08:05:51 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 07:05 UTC

On 31/03/2023 18:44, Alan Lee wrote:
> On 26/03/2023 21:29, Alan Lee wrote:
>> I was in Leicester North station yesterday, they have an oil painting
>> on the wall, a GWR engine, on a viaduct, but they do not know the
>> location. Under it is a plaque with some details, but again, it gives
>> no clues.
>> It could be a made up location, with the Artists interpretation of a
>> location.
>> Any idea of where it could be?
>> Anyway, the pics are linked below:
>>
>> <http://www.maydavid.co.uk/gwrengine.jpg>
>> <http://www.maydavid.co.uk/plaque.jpg>
>>

> From another group, it has been identified as Reading West station.

Good grief! I nearly bought a house near there once. See the lighted
window between the two nearest houses, it was about there. The train is
crossing the Oxford Road bridge.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Location identification please?

<Gcq*9hGcz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=58843&group=uk.railway#58843

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 01 Apr 2023 11:31:16 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 10:31 UTC

Alan Lee <alan@darkroom.plus.com> wrote:
> On 26/03/2023 21:29, Alan Lee wrote:
> > I was in Leicester North station yesterday, they have an oil painting on
> > the wall, a GWR engine, on a viaduct, but they do not know the location.
> > Under it is a plaque with some details, but again, it gives no clues.
> > It could be a made up location, with the Artists interpretation of a
> > location.
> > Any idea of where it could be?
> > Anyway, the pics are linked below:
> >
> > <http://www.maydavid.co.uk/gwrengine.jpg>
> > <http://www.maydavid.co.uk/plaque.jpg>
> >

> From another group, it has been identified as Reading West station.

Ah yes:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193585114846

Re: Location identification please?

<k8rvntF3dveU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=58874&group=uk.railway#58874

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 2 Apr 2023 00:14:53 GMT
 by: Marland - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 00:14 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 31/03/2023 18:44, Alan Lee wrote:
>> On 26/03/2023 21:29, Alan Lee wrote:
>>> I was in Leicester North station yesterday, they have an oil painting
>>> on the wall, a GWR engine, on a viaduct, but they do not know the
>>> location. Under it is a plaque with some details, but again, it gives
>>> no clues.
>>> It could be a made up location, with the Artists interpretation of a
>>> location.
>>> Any idea of where it could be?
>>> Anyway, the pics are linked below:
>>>
>>> <http://www.maydavid.co.uk/gwrengine.jpg>
>>> <http://www.maydavid.co.uk/plaque.jpg>
>>>

>> From another group, it has been identified as Reading West station.
>
> Good grief! I nearly bought a house near there once. See the lighted
> window between the two nearest houses, it was about there. The train is
> crossing the Oxford Road bridge.

Having a gander at the aerial view of the area I see that Basingstoke route
has a number of OLE supports along that terminate north of the Holy Brook
bridge though I cannot see if they are actually
supporting wires. Any one know the reason for that short section?
My guess it is sensible preplanning for the introduction of BI Mode
freight Locos on container trains from Southampton and that the section
from the junction off the Newbury route to the bridge
is the mode change point but it would be nice to know for sure.

GH

Re: Location identification please?

<u0ak41$24s5l$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=58875&group=uk.railway#58875

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 01:00:49 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:s9ZTk4k2nfJihSYCvmbJfo/1bYs=
 by: Recliner - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 01:00 UTC

Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> From another group, it has been identified as Reading West station.
>>
>> Good grief! I nearly bought a house near there once. See the lighted
>> window between the two nearest houses, it was about there. The train is
>> crossing the Oxford Road bridge.
>>

> Having a gander at the aerial view of the area I see that Basingstoke route
> has a number of OLE supports along that terminate north of the Holy Brook
> bridge though I cannot see if they are actually
> supporting wires. Any one know the reason for that short section?
> My guess it is sensible preplanning for the introduction of BI Mode
> freight Locos on container trains from Southampton and that the section
> from the junction off the Newbury route to the bridge
> is the mode change point but it would be nice to know for sure.

Might they have been early works in support of the now largely abandoned
Electric Spine?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Spine

Re: Location identification please?

<k8spocF7deaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=58885&group=uk.railway#58885

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 2 Apr 2023 07:38:52 GMT
 by: Marland - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 07:38 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Good grief! I nearly bought a house near there once. See the lighted
>>> window between the two nearest houses, it was about there. The train is
>>> crossing the Oxford Road bridge.
>>>

>> Having a gander at the aerial view of the area I see that Basingstoke route
>> has a number of OLE supports along that terminate north of the Holy Brook
>> bridge though I cannot see if they are actually
>> supporting wires. Any one know the reason for that short section?
>> My guess it is sensible preplanning for the introduction of BI Mode
>> freight Locos on container trains from Southampton and that the section
>> from the junction off the Newbury route to the bridge
>> is the mode change point but it would be nice to know for sure.
>>

> Might they have been early works in support of the now largely abandoned
> Electric Spine?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Spine

Could well be.
Reading to Southampton is a bit more than last mile operation but I see the
Stadler constructed Class 99 that has been ordered by one Freight Loco
provider is more than capable in that respect being designed for longer
distance operation on Diesel than last mile. GBRF who will be operating
them
do run services from Southampton so I would expect to see them used
on those flows so that short section of OHL may see some use soon.

GH

Re: Location identification please?

<u0bgpv$2dmbd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=58893&group=uk.railway#58893

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 09:10:23 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:sqybvnfdy9oksyxFl+gPttKS4iM=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 09:10 UTC

Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> From another group, it has been identified as Reading West station.
>>
>> Good grief! I nearly bought a house near there once. See the lighted
>> window between the two nearest houses, it was about there. The train is
>> crossing the Oxford Road bridge.
>>

> Having a gander at the aerial view of the area I see that Basingstoke route
> has a number of OLE supports along that terminate north of the Holy Brook
> bridge though I cannot see if they are actually
> supporting wires. Any one know the reason for that short section?
> My guess it is sensible preplanning for the introduction of BI Mode
> freight Locos on container trains from Southampton and that the section
> from the junction off the Newbury route to the bridge
> is the mode change point but it would be nice to know for sure.

Overrun wiring in the case of wrong routing. It's provided on most of the
junctions off the GWML wiring. Also, should that route ever subsequently be
wired, it means the existing wiring need not be disturbed to do so.

Additionally, where bi-mode traction is used, there needs [1] to be some
overrun wiring, because a "zero balise" will be provided in the track to
lower the pan should the driver have forgotten to do so. This obviously
needs to be somewhere where service trains don't run across it [2][3],
hence some overrun wiring is required.

[1] Always an exception - there is one location where IETs in ECS only, can
drive off the end of the wires with none of the usual protections - no
signage, no balise, no overrun, just a small white standard "Electric
Trains No Access To X" board. This route will lose its IET ECS from the May
timetable change.

[2] I believe that Eurobalises can be provided in a form where their output
is switched depending on signal aspects, but for some reason that's not
used on GWML Zero Balises [3]

[3] This is why IETs do the Cardiff West ECS shunt outbound in diesel mode,
even though the two usual reversing sidings are wired - there's no overrun
wiring on two routes which IETs could legitimately take (Barry and Ninian
Park), so the Zero Balise is immediately beyond the signal and will drop
the pantograph for all train movements.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Location identification please?

<u0bgs5$2dmot$7@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=58896&group=uk.railway#58896

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 09:11:33 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:CjFambY5u0nGsjZPdX7B+G/VX0A=
 by: Recliner - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 09:11 UTC

Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Having a gander at the aerial view of the area I see that Basingstoke route
>>> has a number of OLE supports along that terminate north of the Holy Brook
>>> bridge though I cannot see if they are actually
>>> supporting wires. Any one know the reason for that short section?
>>> My guess it is sensible preplanning for the introduction of BI Mode
>>> freight Locos on container trains from Southampton and that the section
>>> from the junction off the Newbury route to the bridge
>>> is the mode change point but it would be nice to know for sure.
>>>

>> Might they have been early works in support of the now largely abandoned
>> Electric Spine?
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Spine
>>

> Could well be.
> Reading to Southampton is a bit more than last mile operation but I see the
> Stadler constructed Class 99 that has been ordered by one Freight Loco
> provider is more than capable in that respect being designed for longer
> distance operation on Diesel than last mile. GBRF who will be operating
> them
> do run services from Southampton so I would expect to see them used
> on those flows so that short section of OHL may see some use soon.

But are the masts actually wired?

Re: Location identification please?

<u0brcb$2g31r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=58917&group=uk.railway#58917

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 12:10:51 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:490GPNBe+YMDCDZyW1OPsbZ1o2U=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 12:10 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Might they have been early works in support of the now largely abandoned
>>> Electric Spine?
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Spine
>>>

>> Could well be.
>> Reading to Southampton is a bit more than last mile operation but I see the
>> Stadler constructed Class 99 that has been ordered by one Freight Loco
>> provider is more than capable in that respect being designed for longer
>> distance operation on Diesel than last mile. GBRF who will be operating
>> them
>> do run services from Southampton so I would expect to see them used
>> on those flows so that short section of OHL may see some use soon.
>>

> But are the masts actually wired?

Yes, because they are run-off wiring for the existing electrification.
Other examples exist at Slough, Newbury [1], Didcot, Swindon, Westerleigh
Jn, Bristol Parkway, near Chippenham [2], Newport and Cardiff [3].

[1] Beyond the station, including a dead section under the road bridge

[2] the wires continue a long way beyond where trains must pan down

[3] main lines only

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Location identification please?

<u0c03t$2h4qi$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=58919&group=uk.railway#58919

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 13:31:41 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:82AItMUVnCsFbPDvWIN8YyCAFiY=
 by: Recliner - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 13:31 UTC

Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Could well be.
>>> Reading to Southampton is a bit more than last mile operation but I see the
>>> Stadler constructed Class 99 that has been ordered by one Freight Loco
>>> provider is more than capable in that respect being designed for longer
>>> distance operation on Diesel than last mile. GBRF who will be operating
>>> them
>>> do run services from Southampton so I would expect to see them used
>>> on those flows so that short section of OHL may see some use soon.
>>>

>> But are the masts actually wired?
>>

> Yes, because they are run-off wiring for the existing electrification.
> Other examples exist at Slough, Newbury [1], Didcot, Swindon, Westerleigh
> Jn, Bristol Parkway, near Chippenham [2], Newport and Cardiff [3].
>
> [1] Beyond the station, including a dead section under the road bridge
>
> [2] the wires continue a long way beyond where trains must pan down
>
> [3] main lines only

OK, so they're just part of the GWML OHLE, and nothing to do with the
further spread of electrification.

Re: Location identification please?

<u0c2dp$2hh57$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=58931&group=uk.railway#58931

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 14:11:05 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:w8NciIAYkcrOwbqd2xzZa5R52/U=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 14:11 UTC

Correct.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Location identification please?

<k8ucj5Ff9arU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=58947&group=uk.railway#58947

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 2 Apr 2023 22:06:29 GMT
 by: Marland - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 22:06 UTC

kAnna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, because they are run-off wiring for the existing electrification.
>>> Other examples exist at Slough, Newbury [1], Didcot, Swindon, Westerleigh
>>> Jn, Bristol Parkway, near Chippenham [2], Newport and Cardiff [3].
>>>
>>> [1] Beyond the station, including a dead section under the road bridge
>>>
>>> [2] the wires continue a long way beyond where trains must pan down
>>>
>>> [3] main lines only
>>>

>> OK, so they're just part of the GWML OHLE, and nothing to do with the
>> further spread of electrification.
>>

> Correct.
>

> Anna Noyd-Dryver

Thanks,

I did wonder if run off provision was one of the reasons.
That would I assume be a reasonably rare event in itself but as there is no
crossover from the line towards Basingstoke back to the line towards
Reading what circumstances would see an electric train run on that track?
Or is it to allow for a train running wrong line towards Newbury that then
gets sent mistakenly wrong line towards Basingstoke, that must be really
belt and braces provision for an unlikely movement .
Supplementary question, presumably such a rarely used section of 25,000
Volt catenary doesn’t need the equivalent of a rusty rail move on conductor
rail systems as there is sufficient poke to break through any contamination
of the wire .Actually I’m not sure if there many those but one I believe
that one that sometimes takes place is along the North London line from
Gunnesbury where the negative rail remains in place on the North bound
track for a distance case a District line train is wrongly routed and that
occasionally a 4th rail train is run along to knock rust of the central
rail.

Stands out clearly on google.
<Dropped pin
https://maps.app.goo.gl/3qGrppUzX174V6mWA?g_st=ic>

GH

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Location identification please?