From: inva...@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: FAOK DashCams
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 12:57:51 +0000
 by: soup - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 12:57 UTC

I am tired of all the wires running from my cigarette lighter socket in
the car, so want to hard wire the cam in.

Was wondering what was the groups opinion on three-wire systems as
opposed to two wire ones.

AIUI the three-wire systems allow the cars battery to run the
"parked" function rather than using the cameras in-built battery. There
is a low voltage box on the three-wire to stop the camera completely
draining the car's main battery.
Whereas the two-wire set-up turns the camera on and off with the
ignition so any "parked" function must run from the cameras battery.

So what to go for ?

I realise that with three-wire I will need to find a fused circuit that
is ignition switched and one that is constantly on.

Re: FAOK DashCams

<20211129131258.b2fc8662ce57153dc1377123@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5911&group=uk.rec.sheds#5911

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: FAOK DashCams
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 13:12:58 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 13:12 UTC

On Mon, 29 Nov 2021 12:57:51 +0000
soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:

> I am tired of all the wires running from my cigarette lighter socket in
> the car, so want to hard wire the cam in.

Sounds like a plan.

> Was wondering what was the groups opinion on three-wire systems as
> opposed to two wire ones.
>
> AIUI the three-wire systems allow the cars battery to run the
> "parked" function rather than using the cameras in-built battery. There

Do you intend to use it while parked ?

> is a low voltage box on the three-wire to stop the camera completely
> draining the car's main battery.

Just how long would it take a dash cam to flatten a car battery
holding several hundred watt hours of energy ? They run on milliwatts don't
they ?

> Whereas the two-wire set-up turns the camera on and off with the
> ignition so any "parked" function must run from the cameras battery.

I think it depends on how much you expect to use parked functions.

> I realise that with three-wire I will need to find a fused circuit that
> is ignition switched and one that is constantly on.

You should be able to pick both up off the feed to the radio.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: FAOK DashCams

<1153939041.659907795.275541.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5953&group=uk.rec.sheds#5953

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 29 Nov 2021 19:44:51 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 19:44 UTC

soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:
> I am tired of all the wires running from my cigarette lighter socket in
> the car, so want to hard wire the cam in.
>
> Was wondering what was the groups opinion on three-wire systems as
> opposed to two wire ones.
>
> AIUI the three-wire systems allow the cars battery to run the
> "parked" function rather than using the cameras in-built battery. There
> is a low voltage box on the three-wire to stop the camera completely
> draining the car's main battery.
> Whereas the two-wire set-up turns the camera on and off with the
> ignition so any "parked" function must run from the cameras battery.
>
> So what to go for ?
>
> I realise that with three-wire I will need to find a fused circuit that
> is ignition switched and one that is constantly on.

If/when you do wire it up, I can recommend these chappies as they may
extracting a fused live feed from an existing fuse box a doodle.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Add-A-Circuit-Piggy-Back-Fuse-Tap-Mini-Blade-Fuse-Holder-ATM-ATP-12V-/262247697355?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: FAOK DashCams

<so5pho$iq0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6009&group=uk.rec.sheds#6009

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 18:12:06 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Tue, 30 Nov 2021 18:12 UTC

Getting a lot of that deja vue problem on groups today.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tim+" <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote in message
> soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:
>> I am tired of all the wires running from my cigarette lighter socket in
>> the car, so want to hard wire the cam in.
>>
>> Was wondering what was the groups opinion on three-wire systems as
>> opposed to two wire ones.
>>
>> AIUI the three-wire systems allow the cars battery to run the
>> "parked" function rather than using the cameras in-built battery. There
>> is a low voltage box on the three-wire to stop the camera completely
>> draining the car's main battery.
>> Whereas the two-wire set-up turns the camera on and off with the
>> ignition so any "parked" function must run from the cameras battery.
>>
>> So what to go for ?
>>
>> I realise that with three-wire I will need to find a fused circuit that
>> is ignition switched and one that is constantly on.
>>

> If/when you do wire it up, I can recommend these chappies as they may
> extracting a fused live feed from an existing fuse box a doodle.
>
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Add-A-Circuit-Piggy-Back-Fuse-Tap-Mini-Blade-Fuse-Holder-ATM-ATP-12V-/262247697355?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0
>
> Tim
>
> --
> Please don't feed the trolls

Re: FAOK DashCams

<sofn6r$2ve$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6121&group=uk.rec.sheds#6121

From: inva...@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 12:33:33 +0000
 by: soup - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 12:33 UTC

On 29/11/2021 12:57, soup wrote:
> I am tired of all the wires running from my cigarette lighter socket in
> the car, so want to hard wire the cam in.
>
>  Was wondering what was the groups opinion on three-wire systems as
> opposed to two wire ones.
>
>   AIUI the three-wire systems allow the cars battery to run the
> "parked" function rather than using the cameras in-built battery.  There
> is a low voltage box on the three-wire to stop the camera completely
> draining the car's main battery.
>    Whereas the two-wire set-up turns the camera on and off with the
> ignition so any "parked" function must run from the cameras battery.
>
>  So what to go for ?
>
> I realise that with three-wire I will need to find a fused circuit that
> is ignition switched and one that is constantly on.

Thanks all.
Well I have done it. Went three wire in the end (son likes the idea
of the camera recording anyone that hits the car).
After a false start (couldn't find the interior fuse box).
Only took about twenty minutes and that includes stuffing the wires
behind the roof lining, behind trim etc