Do not clog intellect's sluices with bits of knowledge of questionable uses.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: Hard drive failure

SubjectAuthor
* Hard drive failureAndy Hewitt
+* Re: Hard drive failurenospam
|`* Re: Hard drive failureAndy Hewitt
| `* Re: Hard drive failurenospam
|  +* Re: Hard drive failureLiz Tuddenham
|  |`* Re: Hard drive failureAndy Hewitt
|  | `* Re: Hard drive failurenospam
|  |  `- Re: Hard drive failureAndy Hewitt
|  `* Re: Hard drive failureAndy Hewitt
|   `* Re: Hard drive failurenospam
|    +* Re: Hard drive failureDavid Brooks
|    |+* Re: Hard drive failureAndy Hewitt
|    ||`- Re: Hard drive failureDavid Brooks
|    |`- Re: Hard drive failurenospam
|    +* Re: Hard drive failureAndy Hewitt
|    |`* Re: Hard drive failurenospam
|    | `- Re: Hard drive failureAndy Hewitt
|    `* Re: Hard drive failureAndy Hewitt
|     `* Re: Hard drive failureJaimie Vandenbergh
|      `* Re: Hard drive failurenospam
|       +* Re: Hard drive failureJaimie Vandenbergh
|       |`* Re: Hard drive failureAndy Hewitt
|       | `* Re: Hard drive failureAlan B
|       |  `- Re: Hard drive failureMark
|       `* Re: Hard drive failureLiz Tuddenham
|        `- Re: Hard drive failureDavid Brooks
`* Re: Hard drive failureJohn Percival Hackworth
 `- Re: Hard drive failureAndy Hewitt

Pages:12
Re: Hard drive failure

<G2tMJ.45147$sga6.25648@fx10.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5982&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5982

Subject: Re: Hard drive failure
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Davidb...@{REMOVESPAM}me.com (David Brooks)
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 12:08:06 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 12:08 UTC

On 08/02/2022 10:05, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
> nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> In article <j6dp5nFmas7U1@mid.individual.net>, Jaimie Vandenbergh
>> <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>>

>>> If you needed it, Seagate do a "pay for another one, we send it now and
>>> give you the money back when we get yours" which can be excellent if
>>> your drive hasn't completely failed. Or if you'd just rather your RAID
>>> had a full set of spindles sooner, since it saves about a week.
>>
>> they all do that.
>>
>> a big advantage is you can reuse the box & antistatic bag they used for
>> the new drive to send back the dead drive. this is particularly
>> important because they reserve the right to deny warranty claims if
>> it's not properly packed.
>
> A failed drive could be quite valuable to their research department if
> they can be certain no further damage has occurred in the post.

I bought a WD (Western Digital) 'My Book' shortly after buying my first
Apple iMac in 2009. This was for use as a Time Machine back-up device.
It failed after nearly five years. I was both amazed and delighted that,
after carrying out various tests a prescribed by WD, they agreed to
replace it free-of-charge. They no longer made a 1TB device like mine,
so I had to agree to accept a 2TB one instead!

Thinking of this, I'm still using that replacement, way past five years
now. Are you aware of any 'test' I could run to determine the current
condition of this external hard drive?

--
Kind regards,
David

Re: Hard drive failure

<sttn0r$gsr$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5983&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5983

From: alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 12:17:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 12:17 UTC

On 2022-02-08, Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:
> On 08/02/2022 01:00, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
>> On 7 Feb 2022 at 23:57:57 GMT, "nospam" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>>> they all do that.
>>
>> Yup, and Andy was using Seagate.
>>
>>> a big advantage is you can reuse the box & antistatic bag they used for
>>> the new drive to send back the dead drive. this is particularly
>>> important because they reserve the right to deny warranty claims if
>>> it's not properly packed.
>>
>> That is a good tip - it's been so long since I last had to do this I'd
>> forgotten about that significant advantage.
>
> That's why I used the box my new drive came in that I'd ordered the week
> before. I had needed an upgrade for another one anyway.
>
> Although I had ordered a different (higher level) model of drive, so
> AIUI they wouldn't have covered that under their T&Cs.

I always try to keep boxes that hardware has been delivered in just in
case I need to return it. But try telling that to my wife as loads of
empty boxes pile up in the loft and shed!

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Hard drive failure

<stumvu$h41$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6000&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6000

From: captain....@gmail.com (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 21:23:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 21:23 UTC

Alan B <alanrichardbarker@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:
> On 2022-02-08, Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:

>>> Yup, and Andy was using Seagate.

>>> That is a good tip - it's been so long since I last had to do this I'd
>>> forgotten about that significant advantage.
>>
>> That's why I used the box my new drive came in that I'd ordered the week
>> before. I had needed an upgrade for another one anyway.
>>
>> Although I had ordered a different (higher level) model of drive, so
>> AIUI they wouldn't have covered that under their T&Cs.
>
> I always try to keep boxes that hardware has been delivered in just in
> case I need to return it. But try telling that to my wife as loads of
> empty boxes pile up in the loft and shed!

Tell her that boxes - like random cables - will come in useful one day.
Honest.

--
Cheers ... Mark