We are so fond of each other because our ailments are the same. -- Jonathan Swift

aus+uk / uk.railway / SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.

SubjectAuthor
* SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.Jack Harry Teesdale
+* SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.Muttley
|+* SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.Jack Harry Teesdale
||+* SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.Muttley
|||`* SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.Jack Harry Teesdale
||| +* SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.Recliner
||| +* SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.Muttley
||| `- SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.Recliner
||`* SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.Dave Roya
|| `- SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.Roland Perry
|`- SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.Graeme Wall
+* SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.Ken in Caen
|`* SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.Jack Harry Teesdale
| `* SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.Coffee
|  `- SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.Jack Harry Teesdale
+* SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.Graham Harrison
|`* SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.Recliner
| +* SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.Jack Harry Teesdale
| |`- SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.Recliner
| `* SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.Coffee
|  `* SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.Recliner
|   `* SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.Tweed
|    +* SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.Graham Harrison
|    |`- SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.Tweed
|    `* SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.Theo
|     `- SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.Tweed
`- SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.Recliner

Pages:12
SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.

<u20dd1$38157$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=60147&group=uk.railway#60147

From: noreply4...@yahoo.co.uk (Jack Harry Teesdale)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 11:37:17 +0100
 by: Jack Harry Teesdale - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 10:37 UTC

Reports have emerged that use of bio-diesel fuels being used to cut
carbon emissions have caused fuel filters to clog up resulting in train
cancellations on SWR, almost cutting off Salisbury and Exeter trains
from the capital.

Re: SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.

<u20dhe$383cf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=60149&group=uk.railway#60149

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 10:39:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 10:39 UTC

On Sat, 22 Apr 2023 11:37:17 +0100
Jack Harry Teesdale <noreply492000-medic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>Reports have emerged that use of bio-diesel fuels being used to cut
>carbon emissions have caused fuel filters to clog up resulting in train
>cancellations on SWR, almost cutting off Salisbury and Exeter trains
>from the capital.

Bits of old chip and batter?

Re: SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.

<u20dtb$38157$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=60151&group=uk.railway#60151

From: noreply4...@yahoo.co.uk (Jack Harry Teesdale)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 11:46:00 +0100
 by: Jack Harry Teesdale - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 10:46 UTC

On 22/04/2023 11:39, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Apr 2023 11:37:17 +0100
> Jack Harry Teesdale <noreply492000-medic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> Reports have emerged that use of bio-diesel fuels being used to cut
>> carbon emissions have caused fuel filters to clog up resulting in train
>> cancellations on SWR, almost cutting off Salisbury and Exeter trains
>>from the capital.
>
> Bits of old chip and batter?

Very likely, it seems it forms an algae in the fuel tanks which blocks
the filters.

At least 30 of their units have so far been affected.

Re: SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.

<u20edk$387tm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=60154&group=uk.railway#60154

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 10:54:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 10:54 UTC

On Sat, 22 Apr 2023 11:46:00 +0100
Jack Harry Teesdale <noreply492000-medic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>On 22/04/2023 11:39, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 Apr 2023 11:37:17 +0100
>> Jack Harry Teesdale <noreply492000-medic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Reports have emerged that use of bio-diesel fuels being used to cut
>>> carbon emissions have caused fuel filters to clog up resulting in train
>>> cancellations on SWR, almost cutting off Salisbury and Exeter trains
>>>from the capital.
>>
>> Bits of old chip and batter?
>>
>Very likely, it seems it forms an algae in the fuel tanks which blocks
>the filters.
>
>At least 30 of their units have so far been affected.

At least the fuel filters are doing their job.

Is the fuel pure biodiesel or a blend? Forecourt diesel is 5% biodiesel now
but I haven't read of any issues like this in road vehicles.

Re: SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.

<u20ev2$38157$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=60158&group=uk.railway#60158

From: noreply4...@yahoo.co.uk (Jack Harry Teesdale)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 12:03:59 +0100
 by: Jack Harry Teesdale - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 11:03 UTC

On 22/04/2023 11:54, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Apr 2023 11:46:00 +0100
> Jack Harry Teesdale <noreply492000-medic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 22/04/2023 11:39, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>>>
>>> Bits of old chip and batter?
>>>
>> Very likely, it seems it forms an algae in the fuel tanks which blocks
>> the filters.
>>
>> At least 30 of their units have so far been affected.
>
> At least the fuel filters are doing their job.
>
> Is the fuel pure biodiesel or a blend? Forecourt diesel is 5% biodiesel now
> but I haven't read of any issues like this in road vehicles.

AFAIK it is a biodegradable fuel containing, vegetable oil, animal fats
and recycled 'kitchen waste' oil or grease.

It is quite different from what is for sale on the forecourt.

Re: SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.

<u20hch$38mcv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=60160&group=uk.railway#60160

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 12:45:21 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 11:45 UTC

On 22/04/2023 11:39, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Apr 2023 11:37:17 +0100
> Jack Harry Teesdale <noreply492000-medic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> Reports have emerged that use of bio-diesel fuels being used to cut
>> carbon emissions have caused fuel filters to clog up resulting in train
>> cancellations on SWR, almost cutting off Salisbury and Exeter trains
>>from the capital.
>
> Bits of old chip and batter?

Someone didn't take the wrappers off the Mars bars first!
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.

<kni74i5n0kc4ts0ss0clqp0d32re5f0lsr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=60162&group=uk.railway#60162

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 12:56:21 +0100
 by: Recliner - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 11:56 UTC

On Sat, 22 Apr 2023 12:03:59 +0100, Jack Harry Teesdale <noreply492000-medic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>On 22/04/2023 11:54, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 Apr 2023 11:46:00 +0100
>> Jack Harry Teesdale <noreply492000-medic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Very likely, it seems it forms an algae in the fuel tanks which blocks
>>> the filters.
>>>
>>> At least 30 of their units have so far been affected.
>>
>> At least the fuel filters are doing their job.
>>
>> Is the fuel pure biodiesel or a blend? Forecourt diesel is 5% biodiesel now
>> but I haven't read of any issues like this in road vehicles.
>>
>AFAIK it is a biodegradable fuel containing, vegetable oil, animal fats
>and recycled 'kitchen waste' oil or grease.
>
>It is quite different from what is for sale on the forecourt.

Is it the same as DBC uses in this class 66:
https://www.modernrailways.com/article/dbc-trials-eco-fuel-class-66

Re: SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.

<u20ii7$38qsp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=60164&group=uk.railway#60164

From: noreply4...@yahoo.co.uk (Jack Harry Teesdale)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 13:05:24 +0100
 by: Jack Harry Teesdale - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 12:05 UTC

On 22/04/2023 12:56, Recliner wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Apr 2023 12:03:59 +0100, Jack Harry Teesdale <noreply492000-medic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 22/04/2023 11:54, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:

>>> At least the fuel filters are doing their job.
>>>
>>> Is the fuel pure biodiesel or a blend? Forecourt diesel is 5% biodiesel now
>>> but I haven't read of any issues like this in road vehicles.
>>>
>> AFAIK it is a biodegradable fuel containing, vegetable oil, animal fats
>> and recycled 'kitchen waste' oil or grease.
>>
>> It is quite different from what is for sale on the forecourt.
>
> Is it the same as DBC uses in this class 66:
> https://www.modernrailways.com/article/dbc-trials-eco-fuel-class-66

I don't think so, the DBC fuel is a hydro treated vegetable oil, there
is no evidence it is recycled but is claimed to be 100% renewable

Re: SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.

<4mj74it98no07l53i2bj5c86coaa94i0r6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=60166&group=uk.railway#60166

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 13:14:38 +0100
 by: Recliner - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 12:14 UTC

On Sat, 22 Apr 2023 13:05:24 +0100, Jack Harry Teesdale <noreply492000-medic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>On 22/04/2023 12:56, Recliner wrote:

>>> AFAIK it is a biodegradable fuel containing, vegetable oil, animal fats
>>> and recycled 'kitchen waste' oil or grease.
>>>
>>> It is quite different from what is for sale on the forecourt.
>>
>> Is it the same as DBC uses in this class 66:
>> https://www.modernrailways.com/article/dbc-trials-eco-fuel-class-66
>
>I don't think so, the DBC fuel is a hydro treated vegetable oil, there
>is no evidence it is recycled but is claimed to be 100% renewable

Yes, I think it's all plant-based.

Of course, as with all such claims of 100% renewable, one has to wonder if any fossil fuel went into the production of
the grains that got turned into oil? Was the fertiliser entirely renewable? Did the agricultural machinery run
entirely on renewal fuel? What about the process to crush the grain for oil, then refine and transport it?

Re: SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.

<u20mbg$39gkf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=60167&group=uk.railway#60167

Followup: uk.railway
From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 13:10:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 13:10 UTC

On 22 Apr 2023 11:46:00 +0100 Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
>Very likely, it seems it forms an algae in the fuel tanks which blocks
>the filters.
>
>At least 30 of their units have so far been affected.

Perhaps it's what sailors know as 'Diesel Bug'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microbial_contamination_of_diesel_fuel

Mainly affects sailing boats with auxiliary engines, which do not use much
fuel so what's in the tank may have been there a long time. Added bio-diesel
is known to make it worse.
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.

<u20s2u$3ad90$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=60168&group=uk.railway#60168

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 14:47:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 14:47 UTC

On Sat, 22 Apr 2023 12:03:59 +0100
Jack Harry Teesdale <noreply492000-medic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>On 22/04/2023 11:54, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 Apr 2023 11:46:00 +0100
>> Jack Harry Teesdale <noreply492000-medic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Very likely, it seems it forms an algae in the fuel tanks which blocks
>>> the filters.
>>>
>>> At least 30 of their units have so far been affected.
>>
>> At least the fuel filters are doing their job.
>>
>> Is the fuel pure biodiesel or a blend? Forecourt diesel is 5% biodiesel now
>> but I haven't read of any issues like this in road vehicles.
>>
>AFAIK it is a biodegradable fuel containing, vegetable oil, animal fats
>and recycled 'kitchen waste' oil or grease.

Sounds more like the sort of crap you'd put in an oil burner not a finely tuned
rather expensive modern diesel engine.

Re: SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.

<u20tdg$3akc2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=60170&group=uk.railway#60170

From: noreply4...@yahoo.co.uk (Jack Harry Teesdale)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 16:10:36 +0100
 by: Jack Harry Teesdale - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 15:10 UTC

On 22/04/2023 15:47, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Apr 2023 12:03:59 +0100
> Jack Harry Teesdale <noreply492000-medic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 22/04/2023 11:54, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:

>>> At least the fuel filters are doing their job.
>>>
>>> Is the fuel pure biodiesel or a blend? Forecourt diesel is 5% biodiesel now
>>> but I haven't read of any issues like this in road vehicles.
>>>
>> AFAIK it is a biodegradable fuel containing, vegetable oil, animal fats
>> and recycled 'kitchen waste' oil or grease.
>
> Sounds more like the sort of crap you'd put in an oil burner not a finely tuned
> rather expensive modern diesel engine.

Ah, yes but it's 'green' don't ya know!

Re: SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.

<u20utj$3au0q$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=60171&group=uk.railway#60171

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 15:36:19 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:s0cZbOj0wY9oVZFbzmDGBScj9d4=
 by: Recliner - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 15:36 UTC

Jack Harry Teesdale <noreply492000-medic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 22/04/2023 11:54, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 Apr 2023 11:46:00 +0100
>> Jack Harry Teesdale <noreply492000-medic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Very likely, it seems it forms an algae in the fuel tanks which blocks
>>> the filters.
>>>
>>> At least 30 of their units have so far been affected.
>>
>> At least the fuel filters are doing their job.
>>
>> Is the fuel pure biodiesel or a blend? Forecourt diesel is 5% biodiesel now
>> but I haven't read of any issues like this in road vehicles.
>>
> AFAIK it is a biodegradable fuel containing, vegetable oil, animal fats
> and recycled 'kitchen waste' oil or grease.
>
> It is quite different from what is for sale on the forecourt.

It sounds like it's actually the same as forecourt diesel:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-65347331

The diesel engines on the trains at Salisbury depot use a small proportion
of biofuel, much as cars and lorries do.
I'm told this biofuel has created a sludge in the engines and blocked fuel
filters.

This is preventing the trains from running smoothly.

The fuel tanks will have to be flushed clean and the filters replaced. This
is not a small task.

Salisbury depot has frequently won awards for the best and most reliable
diesel train fleet in the country.
Not this year, it won't.

Re: SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.

<u212vh$3birg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=60172&group=uk.railway#60172

From: bob...@domain.com (Bob)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 18:45:37 +0200
 by: Bob - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 16:45 UTC

On 22.04.23 16:47, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Apr 2023 12:03:59 +0100
> Jack Harry Teesdale <noreply492000-medic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 22/04/2023 11:54, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:

>>> At least the fuel filters are doing their job.
>>>
>>> Is the fuel pure biodiesel or a blend? Forecourt diesel is 5% biodiesel now
>>> but I haven't read of any issues like this in road vehicles.
>>>
>> AFAIK it is a biodegradable fuel containing, vegetable oil, animal fats
>> and recycled 'kitchen waste' oil or grease.
>
> Sounds more like the sort of crap you'd put in an oil burner not a finely tuned
> rather expensive modern diesel engine.

The design of the engine in those units has its roots in the 1950s and
essentially is a 1970s design. Not really a "finely tuned modern diesel
engine".

Robin

Re: SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.

<u21cl4$3da4u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=60173&group=uk.railway#60173

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 20:30:44 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 19:30 UTC

On 22/04/2023 20:24, Clank wrote:
> On 22 Apr 2023 at 6:10:36 PM EEST, "Jack Harry Teesdale"
> <noreply492000-medic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 22/04/2023 15:47, <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:

>>> Sounds more like the sort of crap you'd put in an oil burner not a finely tuned
>>> rather expensive modern diesel engine.
>>>

>> Ah, yes but it's 'green' don't ya know!
>
> Christ, this group is like visiting an old people's home sometimes.

Only sometimes?

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.

<u21c8p$3d8lv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=60180&group=uk.railway#60180

From: clan...@googlemail.com (Clank)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 19:24:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Clank - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 19:24 UTC

On 22 Apr 2023 at 6:10:36 PM EEST, "Jack Harry Teesdale"
<noreply492000-medic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On 22/04/2023 15:47, <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 Apr 2023 12:03:59 +0100
>> Jack Harry Teesdale <noreply492000-medic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>> AFAIK it is a biodegradable fuel containing, vegetable oil, animal fats
>>> and recycled 'kitchen waste' oil or grease.
>>
>> Sounds more like the sort of crap you'd put in an oil burner not a finely tuned
>> rather expensive modern diesel engine.
>>

> Ah, yes but it's 'green' don't ya know!

Christ, this group is like visiting an old people's home sometimes.

Re: SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.

<74v84il40osmko8ri31diqbdnbnlof55bq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=60181&group=uk.railway#60181

From: joc...@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 17:41:57 -0700
 by: Nobody - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 00:41 UTC

On Sat, 22 Apr 2023 19:24:09 -0000 (UTC), Clank
<clank75@googlemail.com> wrote:

>On 22 Apr 2023 at 6:10:36 PM EEST, "Jack Harry Teesdale"
><noreply492000-medic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 22/04/2023 15:47, <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:

>>> Sounds more like the sort of crap you'd put in an oil burner not a finely tuned
>>> rather expensive modern diesel engine.
>>>

>> Ah, yes but it's 'green' don't ya know!
>
>Christ, this group is like visiting an old people's home sometimes.

For you, we're "Remainians"... (as opposed to "UK Wreckit-teers").

Multumesc... (sigh... my Forte Agent won't allow Romanian-language
accents)

Re: SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.

<v2iRKMJwwMRkFAVJ@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=60184&group=uk.railway#60184

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 07:12:00 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 06:12 UTC

In message <u20mbg$39gkf$1@dont-email.me>, at 13:10:08 on Sat, 22 Apr
2023, Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> remarked:
>On 22 Apr 2023 11:46:00 +0100 Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
>>Very likely, it seems it forms an algae in the fuel tanks which blocks
>>the filters.
>>
>>At least 30 of their units have so far been affected.
>
>Perhaps it's what sailors know as 'Diesel Bug'
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microbial_contamination_of_diesel_fuel
>
>Mainly affects sailing boats with auxiliary engines, which do not use much
>fuel so what's in the tank may have been there a long time. Added bio-diesel
>is known to make it worse.

Affects narrowboats too, you really need to drain the diesel tank and
pump out all the sludge every couple of years. Came across a newbie
boater recently who hadn't done that, and had to be rescued.
--
Roland Perry

Re: SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.

<u22olo$3nq82$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=60190&group=uk.railway#60190

From: clan...@googlemail.com (Clank)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 08:02:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Clank - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 08:02 UTC

On 22 Apr 2023 at 10:30:44 PM EEST, "Graeme Wall" <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 22/04/2023 20:24, Clank wrote:
>> On 22 Apr 2023 at 6:10:36 PM EEST, "Jack Harry Teesdale"
>> <noreply492000-medic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Ah, yes but it's 'green' don't ya know!
>>
>> Christ, this group is like visiting an old people's home sometimes.
>
> Only sometimes?

Fair point. Applies to Usenet generally I guess, although possibly it's fair
to say that this group exhibits marginally fewer obviously mentally disturbed
posters than most.

If I ever get round to writing a newsreader for Android, I shall name it
'EarTrumpet', that being very much how I imagine some of us engaging with the
group...

Re: SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.

<u%51M.987148$S2l4.295335@fx12.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=60191&group=uk.railway#60191

From: kwel...@gmail.com (Ken in Caen)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 08:29:14 GMT
 by: Ken in Caen - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 08:29 UTC

On 22 Apr 2023 at 12:37:17 CEST, "Jack Harry Teesdale"
<noreply492000-medic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Reports have emerged that use of bio-diesel fuels being used to cut
> carbon emissions have caused fuel filters to clog up resulting in train
> cancellations on SWR, almost cutting off Salisbury and Exeter trains
> from the capital.

Very strange. It's at least 10 years since I was first introduced to additives
for bio-diesel fuel. This was in the context of Thames river boats being
fitted with engines from Cummins and, I think, MAN. Which AIUI are not
dissimilar to those used in rail traction.

From memory the additives were tested by various organisations such as the
PLA, Imperial College and Cranfield and found to be satisfactory, preventing
the formation of harmful solids.

Sorry I no longer have my info from those days to hand, but I will make some
enquiries in the coming days.

Ken

Re: SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.

<u22qqh$3o45b$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=60194&group=uk.railway#60194

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 09:38:41 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 08:38 UTC

On 23/04/2023 09:02, Clank wrote:
> On 22 Apr 2023 at 10:30:44 PM EEST, "Graeme Wall" <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> On 22/04/2023 20:24, Clank wrote:

>>> Christ, this group is like visiting an old people's home sometimes.
>>
>> Only sometimes?
>
> Fair point. Applies to Usenet generally I guess, although possibly it's fair
> to say that this group exhibits marginally fewer obviously mentally disturbed
> posters than most.
>
> If I ever get round to writing a newsreader for Android, I shall name it
> 'EarTrumpet', that being very much how I imagine some of us engaging with the
> group...

Pardon? Speak up young whippersnapper!
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.

<u22u1k$3ogo3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=60196&group=uk.railway#60196

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 10:33:40 +0100
 by: Coffee - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 09:33 UTC

On 23/04/2023 09:48, Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
> On 23/04/2023 09:29, Ken in Caen wrote:
>> On 22 Apr 2023 at 12:37:17 CEST, "Jack Harry Teesdale"
>> <noreply492000-medic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Reports have emerged that use of bio-diesel fuels being used to cut
>>> carbon emissions have caused fuel filters to clog up resulting in train
>>> cancellations on SWR, almost cutting off Salisbury and Exeter trains
>>> from the capital.
>>
>> Very strange. It's at least 10 years since I was first introduced to
>> additives
>> for bio-diesel fuel. This was in the context of Thames river boats being
>> fitted with engines from Cummins and, I think, MAN. Which AIUI are not
>> dissimilar to those used in rail traction.
>>
>>   From memory the additives were tested by various organisations such
>> as the
>> PLA, Imperial College and Cranfield and found to be satisfactory,
>> preventing
>> the formation of harmful solids.
>>
>> Sorry I no longer have my info from those days to hand, but I will
>> make some
>> enquiries in the coming days.
>>
>> Ken
> According to reports it is not the engines that are the problem but that
> the fuel filters are 'clogging up'.
Surely the fuel filters 'clogging up' is a symptom of another problem.

> The mix in the bio-fuel must be of a different consistency than that you
> are referring to.
>
> In reality eco-solutions usually have some or other unforseen drawback
> which is why they were never seriously considered previously.
>
> That said I suppose the engineers will find a solution to the issue but
> the disruption to passengers has already been caused, some would say
> unnecessarily!

Re: SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.

<u22vuq$3o02b$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=60199&group=uk.railway#60199

From: noreply4...@yahoo.co.uk (Jack Harry Teesdale)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 11:06:15 +0100
 by: Jack Harry Teesdale - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 10:06 UTC

On 23/04/2023 10:33, Coffee wrote:
> On 23/04/2023 09:48, Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
>> On 23/04/2023 09:29, Ken in Caen wrote:

>>> Very strange. It's at least 10 years since I was first introduced to
>>> additives
>>> for bio-diesel fuel. This was in the context of Thames river boats being
>>> fitted with engines from Cummins and, I think, MAN. Which AIUI are not
>>> dissimilar to those used in rail traction.
>>>
>>>   From memory the additives were tested by various organisations such
>>> as the
>>> PLA, Imperial College and Cranfield and found to be satisfactory,
>>> preventing
>>> the formation of harmful solids.
>>>
>>> Sorry I no longer have my info from those days to hand, but I will
>>> make some
>>> enquiries in the coming days.
>>>
>>> Ken
>> According to reports it is not the engines that are the problem but
>> that the fuel filters are 'clogging up'.
> Surely the fuel filters 'clogging up' is a symptom of another problem.

Yes, as mentioned in my second post, it seems an algae forms in the fuel
tanks which then blocks the filters. Please pay attention or read the
full thread.

>> The mix in the bio-fuel must be of a different consistency than that
>> you are referring to.
>>
>> In reality eco-solutions usually have some or other unforseen drawback
>> which is why they were never seriously considered previously.
>>
>> That said I suppose the engineers will find a solution to the issue
>> but the disruption to passengers has already been caused, some would
>> say unnecessarily!

Re: SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.

<q36a4ipv6u52lpjbicrlm1tdcgpa6802pb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=60205&group=uk.railway#60205

From: edward.h...@btinternet.com (Graham Harrison)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 12:38:24 +0100
 by: Graham Harrison - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 11:38 UTC

On Sat, 22 Apr 2023 11:37:17 +0100, Jack Harry Teesdale
<noreply492000-medic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Reports have emerged that use of bio-diesel fuels being used to cut
>carbon emissions have caused fuel filters to clog up resulting in train
>cancellations on SWR, almost cutting off Salisbury and Exeter trains
>from the capital.

Does anyone know what tests they undertook before using the bio-fuel?

Re: SWR Bio-diesel problems cause sevice cancellations.

<u236mr$3q0hb$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=60206&group=uk.railway#60206

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 12:01:31 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:CbOvzGHKqY7B4piKpCHD+RQAWGA=
 by: Recliner - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 12:01 UTC

Graham Harrison <edward.harrisom.one@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Apr 2023 11:37:17 +0100, Jack Harry Teesdale
> <noreply492000-medic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Reports have emerged that use of bio-diesel fuels being used to cut
>> carbon emissions have caused fuel filters to clog up resulting in train
>> cancellations on SWR, almost cutting off Salisbury and Exeter trains
>> from the capital.
>
> Does anyone know what tests they undertook before using the bio-fuel?

Good question, and why didn't they try it in just a couple of engines in
different units for, say, three months?

It sounds like the engines can keep running with reduced fuel flow, and
hence limited power, even if affected, so a single affected engine in a
three-car unit shouldn't require it to be removed from service.