24 Apr, 2024: Testing a new version of the Overboard here. If you have an issue post about it to rocksolid.nodes.help (I know. Everyone on Usenet has issues)

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Safari is the worst

SubjectAuthor
* Safari is the worstAlan B
`* Re: Safari is the worstD.M. Procida
 `* Re: Safari is the worstAlan B
  `* Re: Safari is the worstAndy Hewitt
   `* Re: Safari is the worstTheo
    +* Re: Safari is the worstTimS
    |`- Re: Safari is the worstTheo
    `- Re: Safari is the worstAndy Hewitt

1
Safari is the worst

<su0tai$7ad$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6020&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6020

From: alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Safari is the worst
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 17:23:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 17:23 UTC

Apple's Safari and WebKit team has asked for feedback on Twitter amid
criticisms of the browser's bugs and missing support.

<https://www.macrumors.com/2022/02/09/safari-team-asks-for-feedback-amid-accusations/>

Here's your chance to have your say. I don't do Twitter unfortunately :(

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Safari is the worst

<j6ipasFl5adU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6028&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6028

From: daniele-...@invalid.com (D.M. Procida)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Safari is the worst
Date: 9 Feb 2022 21:17:16 GMT
 by: D.M. Procida - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 21:17 UTC

On 9 Feb 2022 at 17:23:30 GMT, "Alan B"
<alanrichardbarker@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:

> Apple's Safari and WebKit team has asked for feedback on Twitter amid
> criticisms of the browser's bugs and missing support.
>
> <https://www.macrumors.com/2022/02/09/safari-team-asks-for-feedback-amid-accusations/>
>
> Here's your chance to have your say. I don't do Twitter unfortunately :(

I've always found Safari a perfectly satisfactory browser. I much prefer it to
Chrome, which I find less well-behaved and predictable.

Daniele

Re: Safari is the worst

<su2og3$rnf$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6043&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6043

From: alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 10:13:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 10:13 UTC

On 2022-02-09, D.M Procida <daniele-at-vurt-dot-org@invalid.com> wrote:
> On 9 Feb 2022 at 17:23:30 GMT, "Alan B"
><alanrichardbarker@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:
>
>> Apple's Safari and WebKit team has asked for feedback on Twitter amid
>> criticisms of the browser's bugs and missing support.
>>
>> <https://www.macrumors.com/2022/02/09/safari-team-asks-for-feedback-amid-accusations/>
>>
>> Here's your chance to have your say. I don't do Twitter unfortunately :(
>
> I've always found Safari a perfectly satisfactory browser. I much prefer it to
> Chrome, which I find less well-behaved and predictable.

I'm not out to knock it but there have been some controversies in
recent months, e.g. The implementation of Tab Groups (which I no
longer use anyway).

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Safari is the worst

<su3eh7$p4i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6064&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6064

From: thewildr...@icloud.com (Andy Hewitt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 16:29:26 +0000
 by: Andy Hewitt - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 16:29 UTC

On 10/02/2022 10:13, Alan B wrote:
> On 2022-02-09, D.M Procida <daniele-at-vurt-dot-org@invalid.com> wrote:
>> On 9 Feb 2022 at 17:23:30 GMT, "Alan B"
>> <alanrichardbarker@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:
>>
>>> Apple's Safari and WebKit team has asked for feedback on Twitter amid
>>> criticisms of the browser's bugs and missing support.
>>>
>>> <https://www.macrumors.com/2022/02/09/safari-team-asks-for-feedback-amid-accusations/>
>>>
>>> Here's your chance to have your say. I don't do Twitter unfortunately :(
>>
>> I've always found Safari a perfectly satisfactory browser. I much prefer it to
>> Chrome, which I find less well-behaved and predictable.
>
> I'm not out to knock it but there have been some controversies in
> recent months, e.g. The implementation of Tab Groups (which I no
> longer use anyway).

I'm not sure I get the point of the subject header here. There's no
clarification of why such a title would be used?

I've no idea what it means either, I've been using Safari as my default
browser for years now, on all devices, and can't say I've come across
any issues at all, especially more recently (like the last couple of
years or so).

Very rarely do I need to turn to an alternative browser for anything.

--
Andy H

Re: Safari is the worst

<H7i*PlvGy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6068&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6068

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 10 Feb 2022 17:30:13 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 17:30 UTC

Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure I get the point of the subject header here. There's no
> clarification of why such a title would be used?
>
> I've no idea what it means either, I've been using Safari as my default
> browser for years now, on all devices, and can't say I've come across
> any issues at all, especially more recently (like the last couple of
> years or so).

I think the problem is bugs in Safari, and it failing to support newer web
standards. The result is that web devs have to spend a lot of effort
putting in exceptions to make their sites work on Safari, just like they
used to have to do for IE.

You don't see that most of the time because they do put that effort in -
primarily because iOS is such a big chunk of users. But it doesn't mean
they're happy about it.

This is a separate question from people liking/not liking the Safari UI and
changes that might or might not be in the pipeline.

Theo
(definitely not a web dev)

Re: Safari is the worst

<j6l218F3rgfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6069&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6069

From: timstrea...@greenbee.net (TimS)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 10 Feb 2022 17:58:00 GMT
 by: TimS - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 17:58 UTC

On 10 Feb 2022 at 17:30:13 GMT, Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
wrote:

> Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:
>> I'm not sure I get the point of the subject header here. There's no
>> clarification of why such a title would be used?
>>
>> I've no idea what it means either, I've been using Safari as my default
>> browser for years now, on all devices, and can't say I've come across
>> any issues at all, especially more recently (like the last couple of
>> years or so).
>
> I think the problem is bugs in Safari, and it failing to support newer web
> standards.

When you say "newer web standards", to what do you refer? Is there something
after HTML5?

--
Tim

Re: Safari is the worst

<su3ric$tmh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6073&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6073

From: thewildr...@icloud.com (Andy Hewitt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 20:11:56 +0000
 by: Andy Hewitt - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 20:11 UTC

On 10/02/2022 17:30, Theo wrote:
> Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:
>> I'm not sure I get the point of the subject header here. There's no
>> clarification of why such a title would be used?
>>
>> I've no idea what it means either, I've been using Safari as my default
>> browser for years now, on all devices, and can't say I've come across
>> any issues at all, especially more recently (like the last couple of
>> years or so).
>
> I think the problem is bugs in Safari, and it failing to support newer web
> standards. The result is that web devs have to spend a lot of effort
> putting in exceptions to make their sites work on Safari, just like they
> used to have to do for IE.
>
> You don't see that most of the time because they do put that effort in -
> primarily because iOS is such a big chunk of users. But it doesn't mean
> they're happy about it.
>
> This is a separate question from people liking/not liking the Safari UI and
> changes that might or might not be in the pipeline.

Ok, I get that, thanks.

--
Andy H

Re: Safari is the worst

<J7i*pkwGy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6074&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6074

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 10 Feb 2022 21:57:19 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 21:57 UTC

TimS <timstreater@greenbee.net> wrote:
> When you say "newer web standards", to what do you refer? Is there something
> after HTML5?

Yes:
https://www.w3.org/TR/

Theo