From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Corbyn bags a seat
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 19:54:10 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 18:54 UTC

In the news this week for perhaps casting around for a parliamentary
constituency he's allowed to stand, and can win.

But this is about trains.

I was talking to someone at the weekend and they said "I sat next to
JC on a train a couple of weeks ago. It was rush hour and he'd put
his bag on the seat next to him, and I asked him to move it. Which
he reluctantly did."

"That meant I was sitting between him and his wife, and she asked if I'd
like to swap seats. I wasn't bothered, but replied that if *she* wanted
to swap seats that was perfectly OK. So we did".

Meanwhile, a few years ago I was chatting to a different friend (who
had travelled up to Ely on the train to see me, if I'm allowed to say
that) and he revealed he'd recently been in a splinter group meeting
in Westminster where several individuals were a bit worried that the
choice for Labour Leader was three Blairites, and perhaps a fourth
more left-wing candidate would be useful (or even simply a democratic
statement).

But there were no obvious candidates with the ambition, financing and
stamina. "What if I stood" said JC. The rest, as they say, is history.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Corbyn bags a seat

<u27tkb$oqrk$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=60376&group=uk.railway#60376

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Corbyn bags a seat
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 07:57:15 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Tue, 25 Apr 2023 06:57 UTC

On 24/04/2023 19:54, Roland Perry wrote:
> In the news this week for perhaps casting around for a parliamentary
> constituency he's allowed to stand, and can win.
>
> But this is about trains.
>
> I was talking to someone at the weekend and they said "I sat next to
> JC on a train a couple of weeks ago. It was rush hour and he'd put
> his bag on the seat next to him, and I asked him to move it. Which
> he reluctantly did."
>
> "That meant I was sitting between him and his wife, and she asked if I'd
> like to swap seats. I wasn't bothered, but replied that if *she* wanted
> to swap seats that was perfectly OK. So we did".
>
> Meanwhile, a few years ago I was chatting to a different friend (who
> had travelled up to Ely on the train to see me, if I'm allowed to say
> that) and he revealed he'd recently been in a splinter group meeting
> in Westminster where several individuals were a bit worried that the
> choice for Labour Leader was three Blairites, and perhaps a fourth
> more left-wing candidate would be useful (or even simply a democratic
> statement).
>
> But there were no obvious candidates with the ambition, financing and
> stamina. "What if I stood" said JC. The rest, as they say, is history.

There were several variations on that story but they all came to much
the same thing.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Corbyn bags a seat

<KLbM0A6835RkFAjd@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=60405&group=uk.railway#60405

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 10:31:40 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Tue, 25 Apr 2023 09:31 UTC

In message <u27tkb$oqrk$3@dont-email.me>, at 07:57:15 on Tue, 25 Apr
2023, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:
>On 24/04/2023 19:54, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In the news this week for perhaps casting around for a parliamentary
>>constituency he's allowed to stand, and can win.
>> But this is about trains.
>> I was talking to someone at the weekend and they said "I sat next to
>> JC on a train a couple of weeks ago. It was rush hour and he'd put
>> his bag on the seat next to him, and I asked him to move it. Which
>> he reluctantly did."

>> "That meant I was sitting between him and his wife, and she asked if
>>I'd like to swap seats. I wasn't bothered, but replied that if *she*
>>wanted to swap seats that was perfectly OK. So we did".

>> Meanwhile, a few years ago I was chatting to a different friend (who
>> had travelled up to Ely on the train to see me, if I'm allowed to say
>>that) and he revealed he'd recently been in a splinter group meeting
>> in Westminster where several individuals were a bit worried that the
>> choice for Labour Leader was three Blairites, and perhaps a fourth
>> more left-wing candidate would be useful (or even simply a democratic
>>statement).

>> But there were no obvious candidates with the ambition, financing
>>and stamina. "What if I stood" said JC. The rest, as they say, is
>>history.
>
>There were several variations on that story but they all came to much
>the same thing.

More interesting is how the managed to get [just] enough signatures on
the nomination paper, but that's for a different day.
--
Roland Perry