From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: More ferry problems in Scotland
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 10:12:50 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:nd6i1/GyPvlG9lshYooDN6ovwgE=
 by: Recliner - Tue, 2 May 2023 10:12 UTC

Island ferries not brilliant, admits minister after Orkney grounding

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/e73c4c3a-e82d-11ed-bf4a-7aba37244b0f?shareToken=10dd923535355239ccaadd67a62d5b1d

Officials from the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) are
scheduled to arrive on site tomorrow as part of their investigation into
the incident which resulted in the Pentland Ferries catamaran getting into
trouble on Saturday evening.

There was reported to be smoke in the engine room when the vessel grounded
off St Margaret’s Hope, South Ronaldsay, with all 60 people taken ashore in
lifeboats.

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) has suggested there was a sudden
mechanical fault on the ferry.

Re: More ferry problems in Scotland

<TWV3skqtYOUkFAZW@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=61118&group=uk.railway#61118

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: More ferry problems in Scotland
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 11:30:05 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Tue, 2 May 2023 10:30 UTC

In message <u2qnn2$n51j$5@dont-email.me>, at 10:12:50 on Tue, 2 May
2023, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>Island ferries not brilliant, admits minister after Orkney grounding
>
>https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/e73c4c3a-e82d-11ed-bf4a-7aba37244b0f?
>shareToken=10dd923535355239ccaadd67a62d5b1d
>
>Officials from the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) are
>scheduled to arrive on site tomorrow as part of their investigation into
>the incident which resulted in the Pentland Ferries catamaran getting into
>trouble on Saturday evening.
>
>There was reported to be smoke in the engine room when the vessel grounded
>off St Margaret’s Hope, South Ronaldsay, with all 60 people taken ashore in
>lifeboats.
>
>The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) has suggested there was a sudden
>mechanical fault

Phew. Avoided a Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly, then?

It's the un-sudden mechanical faults which are the worst.

--
Roland Perry

Re: More ferry problems in Scotland

<u2qrp2$nqn9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=61121&group=uk.railway#61121

From: rai...@greystane.shetland.co.uk (ColinR)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 12:22:11 +0100
 by: ColinR - Tue, 2 May 2023 11:22 UTC

On 02/05/2023 11:12, Recliner wrote:
> Island ferries not brilliant, admits minister after Orkney grounding
>
> https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/e73c4c3a-e82d-11ed-bf4a-7aba37244b0f?shareToken=10dd923535355239ccaadd67a62d5b1d
>
> Officials from the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) are
> scheduled to arrive on site tomorrow as part of their investigation into
> the incident which resulted in the Pentland Ferries catamaran getting into
> trouble on Saturday evening.
>
> There was reported to be smoke in the engine room when the vessel grounded
> off St Margaret’s Hope, South Ronaldsay, with all 60 people taken ashore in
> lifeboats.
>
> The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) has suggested there was a sudden
> mechanical fault on the ferry.

I find it a bit rich that the SNP / Scottish transport minister is
making comments about Pentland Ferries that is a commercial,
unsubsidised ferry route competing with the subsidised Northlink
Ferries. Not only have Pentland ferries prospered, but now have a much
newer fleet than the subsidised service.
https://www.orcadian.co.uk/managing-director-speaks-out-as-pentland-ferries-appeal-subsidy-challenge-outcome/

--
Colin

Re: More ferry problems in Scotland

<pvs15ihr6jd6qcfabrf1d6v46ta8h70ek1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=61123&group=uk.railway#61123

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 02 May 2023 12:29:45 +0100
 by: Recliner - Tue, 2 May 2023 11:29 UTC

On Tue, 2 May 2023 12:22:11 +0100, ColinR <rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk> wrote:

>On 02/05/2023 11:12, Recliner wrote:
>> Island ferries not brilliant, admits minister after Orkney grounding
>>
>> https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/e73c4c3a-e82d-11ed-bf4a-7aba37244b0f?shareToken=10dd923535355239ccaadd67a62d5b1d
>>
>> Officials from the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) are
>> scheduled to arrive on site tomorrow as part of their investigation into
>> the incident which resulted in the Pentland Ferries catamaran getting into
>> trouble on Saturday evening.
>>
>> There was reported to be smoke in the engine room when the vessel grounded
>> off St Margaret’s Hope, South Ronaldsay, with all 60 people taken ashore in
>> lifeboats.
>>
>> The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) has suggested there was a sudden
>> mechanical fault on the ferry.
>
>I find it a bit rich that the SNP / Scottish transport minister is
>making comments about Pentland Ferries that is a commercial,
>unsubsidised ferry route competing with the subsidised Northlink
>Ferries. Not only have Pentland ferries prospered, but now have a much
>newer fleet than the subsidised service.
>https://www.orcadian.co.uk/managing-director-speaks-out-as-pentland-ferries-appeal-subsidy-challenge-outcome/

I guess the SNP (or its Green masters) just doesn't approve of private sector enterprises.

Re: More ferry problems in Scotland

<42t15i1f2blje8poflaof84tsl0a3rae35@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=61124&group=uk.railway#61124

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 02 May 2023 12:34:42 +0100
 by: Scott - Tue, 2 May 2023 11:34 UTC

On Tue, 2 May 2023 12:22:11 +0100, ColinR
<rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk> wrote:

>On 02/05/2023 11:12, Recliner wrote:
>> Island ferries not brilliant, admits minister after Orkney grounding
>>
>> https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/e73c4c3a-e82d-11ed-bf4a-7aba37244b0f?shareToken=10dd923535355239ccaadd67a62d5b1d
>>
>> Officials from the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) are
>> scheduled to arrive on site tomorrow as part of their investigation into
>> the incident which resulted in the Pentland Ferries catamaran getting into
>> trouble on Saturday evening.
>>
>> There was reported to be smoke in the engine room when the vessel grounded
>> off St Margaret’s Hope, South Ronaldsay, with all 60 people taken ashore in
>> lifeboats.
>>
>> The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) has suggested there was a sudden
>> mechanical fault on the ferry.
>
>I find it a bit rich that the SNP / Scottish transport minister is
>making comments about Pentland Ferries that is a commercial,
>unsubsidised ferry route competing with the subsidised Northlink
>Ferries. Not only have Pentland ferries prospered, but now have a much
>newer fleet than the subsidised service.
>https://www.orcadian.co.uk/managing-director-speaks-out-as-pentland-ferries-appeal-subsidy-challenge-outcome/

Why did they lease the newer vessel (MV Alfred) to CalMac and return
MV Pentalina to service? Once Pentalina was certified seaworthy, it
would seem more logical for Pentland Ferries to continue to operate
their existing vessel. Or is it to do with size or something?

Re: More ferry problems in Scotland

<u2qta6$o4u2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=61125&group=uk.railway#61125

From: rai...@greystane.shetland.co.uk (ColinR)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 12:48:24 +0100
 by: ColinR - Tue, 2 May 2023 11:48 UTC

On 02/05/2023 12:22, ColinR wrote:
> On 02/05/2023 11:12, Recliner wrote:
>> Island ferries not brilliant, admits minister after Orkney grounding
>>
>> https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/e73c4c3a-e82d-11ed-bf4a-7aba37244b0f?shareToken=10dd923535355239ccaadd67a62d5b1d
>>
>> Officials from the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) are
>> scheduled to arrive on site tomorrow as part of their investigation into
>> the incident which resulted in the Pentland Ferries catamaran getting
>> into
>> trouble on Saturday evening.
>>
>> There was reported to be smoke in the engine room when the vessel
>> grounded
>> off St Margaret’s Hope, South Ronaldsay, with all 60 people taken
>> ashore in
>> lifeboats.
>>
>> The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) has suggested there was a sudden
>> mechanical fault on the ferry.
>
> I find it a bit rich that the SNP / Scottish transport minister is
> making comments about Pentland Ferries that is a commercial,
> unsubsidised ferry route competing with the subsidised Northlink
> Ferries. Not only have Pentland ferries prospered, but now have a much
> newer fleet than the subsidised service.
> https://www.orcadian.co.uk/managing-director-speaks-out-as-pentland-ferries-appeal-subsidy-challenge-outcome/

Two BBC reports. The first is fairly well balanced. The second is purely
politicians bumping their gums trying to justify their existence!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-65441218
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-65447156

--
Colin

Re: More ferry problems in Scotland

<u2qu5a$o6p9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=61127&group=uk.railway#61127

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 13:02:49 +0100
 by: MB - Tue, 2 May 2023 12:02 UTC

By the way, there is a nice little film on BBC News webpage today

Over the sea to Skye on the world’s last turntable ferry

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-65429882