Amoebit: Amoeba/rabbit cross; it can multiply and divide at the same time.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: MPs expenses row with railway context

SubjectAuthor
* MPs expenses row with railway contextRoland Perry
`* MPs expenses row with railway contextMB
 +- MPs expenses row with railway contextRoland Perry
 `* MPs expenses row with railway contextArthur Figgis
  `* MPs expenses row with railway contextTheo
   +* MPs expenses row with railway contextMB
   |`* MPs expenses row with railway contextMarland
   | `- MPs expenses row with railway contextRecliner
   `- MPs expenses row with railway contextArthur Figgis

1
MPs expenses row with railway context

<z8TfGt+16hUkFAvI@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=61162&group=uk.railway#61162

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: MPs expenses row with railway context
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 09:43:33 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 3 May 2023 08:43 UTC

From The Guardian:

MPs and peers have claimed almost £180m in expenses in just three
years. In one case, openDemocracy notes, the Conservative MP Iain
Stewart, a self-proclaimed train enthusiast whose Milton Keynes
South constituency is only 35 minutes from London, "claimed £52,000
on London hotels instead of catching the train".

For political balance, I recall David Blunkett said he didn't realise it
wasn't allowed to claim for certain First Class fares:

<https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2004/nov/30/immigrationpolicy.davidb
lunkett>
--
Roland Perry

Re: MPs expenses row with railway context

<u2ta5v$17ump$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=61168&group=uk.railway#61168

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: MPs expenses row with railway context
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 10:40:13 +0100
 by: MB - Wed, 3 May 2023 09:40 UTC

On 03/05/2023 09:43, Roland Perry wrote:
> MPs and peers have claimed almost £180m in expenses in just three
> years. In one case, openDemocracy notes, the Conservative MP Iain
> Stewart, a self-proclaimed train enthusiast whose Milton Keynes
> South constituency is only 35 minutes from London, "claimed £52,000
> on London hotels instead of catching the train".

Wasn't there a Labour MP who lived in inner London who claimed for a
flat or hotel expenses?

Re: MPs expenses row with railway context

<9w4c1vEZUjUkFAPH@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=61177&group=uk.railway#61177

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 11:19:05 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 3 May 2023 10:19 UTC

In message <u2ta5v$17ump$3@dont-email.me>, at 10:40:13 on Wed, 3 May
2023, MB <MB@nospam.net> remarked:
>On 03/05/2023 09:43, Roland Perry wrote:
>> MPs and peers have claimed almost £180m in expenses in just three
>> years. In one case, openDemocracy notes, the Conservative MP Iain
>> Stewart, a self-proclaimed train enthusiast whose Milton Keynes
>> South constituency is only 35 minutes from London, "claimed £52,000
>> on London hotels instead of catching the train".
>
>Wasn't there a Labour MP who lived in inner London who claimed for a
>flat or hotel expenses?

It's complicated because some people have genuine family circumstances
which mean that it's not entirely obvious which is their first vs second
home. MPs can only claim expenses for a second home that's in London,
but I suspect that when they drafted the rule they didn't allow for the
location of the first home to be taken into account.

Similarly, many MPs have what you might call a third home in their
constituency (especially if carpet-baggers).

Some will exploit the rules to inflate their expenses (at one time it
was regarded as a legitimate perk, just like some normals will be
entirely comfortable re-using the return coupon of their ticket if it
doesn't get gripped).

So frankly, every case has to be looked at individually.
--
Roland Perry

Re: MPs expenses row with railway context

<kAadnZNcEaj5BM_5nZ2dnZfqn_ti4p2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=61203&group=uk.railway#61203

Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 18:26:59 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: afig...@example.invalid (Arthur Figgis)
 by: Arthur Figgis - Wed, 3 May 2023 17:26 UTC

On 03/05/2023 10:40, MB wrote:
> On 03/05/2023 09:43, Roland Perry wrote:
>>          MPs and peers have claimed almost £180m in expenses in just
>> three
>>          years. In one case, openDemocracy notes, the Conservative MP
>> Iain
>>          Stewart, a self-proclaimed train enthusiast whose Milton Keynes
>>          South constituency is only 35 minutes from London, "claimed
>> £52,000
>>          on London hotels instead of catching the train".
>

> Wasn't there a Labour MP who lived in inner London who claimed for a
> flat or hotel expenses?

There are regular tedious moans that the MP for the Outer Hebrides
spends more on travel than the MP for Walking-Distance-from Parliament.

--
Arthur Figgis

Re: MPs expenses row with railway context

<j2D*fXkfz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=61207&group=uk.railway#61207

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 03 May 2023 20:08:05 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Wed, 3 May 2023 19:08 UTC

Arthur Figgis <afiggis@example.invalid> wrote:
> There are regular tedious moans that the MP for the Outer Hebrides
> spends more on travel than the MP for Walking-Distance-from Parliament.

Then there are the opposing moans that the Hon. Member for Walking-Distance has
higher expenses overall, because they have to rent and staff a constituency
office at central London rates, whereas the member for the Western Isles can
use a... contd. p94

Theo

Re: MPs expenses row with railway context

<u2uo9k$1flha$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=61212&group=uk.railway#61212

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 23:47:16 +0100
 by: MB - Wed, 3 May 2023 22:47 UTC

On 03/05/2023 20:08, Theo wrote:
> Then there are the opposing moans that the Hon. Member for Walking-Distance has
> higher expenses overall, because they have to rent and staff a constituency
> office at central London rates, whereas the member for the Western Isles can
> use a... contd. p94

But the MP for the Western Isles will probably need several offices in
different parts of the Western Isles because of the distances involved.

Re: MPs expenses row with railway context

<9mqdnQuU7JX6bs75nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=61246&group=uk.railway#61246

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!newsreader4.netcologne.de!news.netcologne.de!peer01.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer03.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr3.iad1.usenetexpress.com!69.80.99.23.MISMATCH!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-2.nntp.ord.giganews.com!nntp.brightview.co.uk!news.brightview.co.uk.POSTED!not-for-mail
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 19:03:19 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: afig...@example.invalid (Arthur Figgis)
 by: Arthur Figgis - Thu, 4 May 2023 18:03 UTC

On 03/05/2023 20:08, Theo wrote:
> Arthur Figgis <afiggis@example.invalid> wrote:
>> There are regular tedious moans that the MP for the Outer Hebrides
>> spends more on travel than the MP for Walking-Distance-from Parliament.
>
> Then there are the opposing moans that the Hon. Member for Walking-Distance has
> higher expenses overall, because they have to rent and staff a constituency
> office at central London rates, whereas the member for the Western Isles can
> use a... contd. p94

How dare they claim expanses for a staff laptop and stamps. And why
haven't they replied to my letters yet?

--
Arthur Figgis

Re: MPs expenses row with railway context

<kbk87hFsf92U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=61266&group=uk.railway#61266

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 5 May 2023 11:39:29 GMT
 by: Marland - Fri, 5 May 2023 11:39 UTC

MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:
> On 03/05/2023 20:08, Theo wrote:
>> Then there are the opposing moans that the Hon. Member for Walking-Distance has
>> higher expenses overall, because they have to rent and staff a constituency
>> office at central London rates, whereas the member for the Western Isles can
>> use a... contd. p94
>

> But the MP for the Western Isles will probably need several offices in
> different parts of the Western Isles because of the distances involved.

Cant they use something like a large Motorhome which is driven ahead to be
in place ready for them to drop in place by Helicopter.

GH

Re: MPs expenses row with railway context

<u335tn$2d62r$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=61287&group=uk.railway#61287

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 15:04:23 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:MV90F3JGJH0q7SYxmrmg0UHEODQ=
 by: Recliner - Fri, 5 May 2023 15:04 UTC

Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
> MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:
>> On 03/05/2023 20:08, Theo wrote:
>>> Then there are the opposing moans that the Hon. Member for Walking-Distance has
>>> higher expenses overall, because they have to rent and staff a constituency
>>> office at central London rates, whereas the member for the Western Isles can
>>> use a... contd. p94
>>

>> But the MP for the Western Isles will probably need several offices in
>> different parts of the Western Isles because of the distances involved.
>>

> Cant they use something like a large Motorhome which is driven ahead to be
> in place ready for them to drop in place by Helicopter.

So that's what it was supposedly bought for!