From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: EWR Route Announced
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 16:17:11 +0100
<+uz5ETDGzXgkFAOG@perry.uk>
<poSdnYVRi98ajR_5nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<ZHDgOrVH6rgkFApA@perry.uk>
<i_ScnS0Lw-ZE-Br5nZ2dnZfqn_Vh4p2d@brightview.co.uk>
<u67tvj$379k6$5@dont-email.me> <Wk8DSMN14$hkFAjq@perry.uk>
<u6961i$3h89p$5@dont-email.me>
 by: Roland Perry - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 15:17 UTC

In message <u6961i$3h89p$5@dont-email.me>, at 07:32:02 on Tue, 13 Jun
2023, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> In message <u67tvj$379k6$5@dont-email.me>, at 20:08:19 on Mon, 12 Jun
>> 2023, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Not at all. It's purely a Roland thing.
>>
>> The issue here is people announcing stuff like it's a done deal. HS3
>> station at Bradford, anyone?
>>
>> <https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/23015721.prime-minister-
>> commits-new-bradford-northern-powerhouse-rail-station/>
>
>No mention of the long-dropped HS3 moniker in that story. The fact that it
>might/wouldhave a Bradford stop means it's not, by definition, a high speed
>line.

That's only a report by a not very well briefed journalist. You'd need
to have read the hundreds of pages of published plans over the years to
fully understand the history. But you haven't, so you don't.

>> But now I expect north Bedford is affected by planning blight, just like
>> some villages west of East Midlands Airport were, when floated as a
>> possible location for an HS2 hub (the other abandoned candidate was
>> underneath the airport itself).
>
>So you must welcome the decision to have no HS2 eastern hub?

The Toton Hub would have been a significant force in a wide range of
industrial regeneration and transport projects, it's so much more than
just an HS2 station.

But without the station, and the high-speed connectivity in the
Birmingham-Yorkshire corridor, it's doubtful the rest of it can proceed
very far in the foreseeable future.

While that doesn't directly affect me either way at the moment, I'm sure
there's widespread disappointment locally.

ps Having the hub at Toton would have been the exact opposite of
"blight".
--
Roland Perry

Re: EWR Route Announced

<m6cr8idpgcvnss9q7s2rshp759f98g92q6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=61503&group=uk.railway#61503

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
References: <lRjKsJSZbDdkFAm1@perry.uk> <zNacnc21ns7hq-v5nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <mXPIAJdcngekFAP4@perry.uk> <kfmcnZ68zbQuauf5nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <+uz5ETDGzXgkFAOG@perry.uk> <poSdnYVRi98ajR_5nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <ZHDgOrVH6rgkFApA@perry.uk> <i_ScnS0Lw-ZE-Br5nZ2dnZfqn_Vh4p2d@brightview.co.uk> <u67tvj$379k6$5@dont-email.me> <Wk8DSMN14$hkFAjq@perry.uk> <u6961i$3h89p$5@dont-email.me> <98l80sC3zHjkFAXd@perry.uk>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 14:22:35 +0100
 by: Recliner - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 13:22 UTC

On Fri, 16 Jun 2023 16:17:11 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:

>In message <u6961i$3h89p$5@dont-email.me>, at 07:32:02 on Tue, 13 Jun
>2023, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>>Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <u67tvj$379k6$5@dont-email.me>, at 20:08:19 on Mon, 12 Jun
>>> 2023, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> The issue here is people announcing stuff like it's a done deal. HS3
>>> station at Bradford, anyone?
>>>
>>> <https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/23015721.prime-minister-
>>> commits-new-bradford-northern-powerhouse-rail-station/>
>>
>>No mention of the long-dropped HS3 moniker in that story. The fact that it
>>might/wouldhave a Bradford stop means it's not, by definition, a high speed
>>line.
>
>That's only a report by a not very well briefed journalist. You'd need
>to have read the hundreds of pages of published plans over the years to
>fully understand the history. But you haven't, so you don't.

I don't know what mythical documents you've been reading, but there's never been a formal plan for the route, just
various aspirations from interested parties who didn't have to fund it. There's never been a funded, detailed plan, so
you can't have read hundreds of pages about it. You've just been beguiled by wish lists.

It was never going to be a complete a new line, just a set of enhancements to the old Victorian routes. And, of course,
there was never any intention of constructing what in railway terminology (which you obviously don't know) would be
called a 'high speed line', just a speeded-up classic line. It's been discussed here many times over the years, but you
simply won't listen.

The reality will just be the electrification of the existing TPE routes, with some new chords and track enhancements.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: EWR Route Announced