From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Re: OT: Excess profits on Motorola's Airwave estimated to be ???1.3B
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 07:42:04 +0100
<u4vipn$sjmr$1@dont-email.me> <u4vk66$snde$1@dont-email.me>
<uWT4tZPZEDdkFAGo@perry.uk> <kdjbocFqoemU1@mid.individual.net>
<oZirTywq3FekFAfx@perry.uk> <u59qr7$2orla$1@dont-email.me>
<u5cckr$34qs7$1@dont-email.me> <lu3YOfU8xbekFA9n@perry.uk>
<kduggnFihisU1@mid.individual.net> <pSECCD16FCfkFAmv@perry.uk>
<u5kgcn$b0dt$1@dont-email.me> <ceYPB4OIOgfkFAgC@perry.uk>
<u5l51g$d0tb$1@dont-email.me> <NwDVDHFHlYgkFA4r@perry.uk>
<u5uvnt$1sqk7$1@dont-email.me> <gPnuad$kuBhkFAHv@perry.uk>
<kejfgdFoqj7U1@mid.individual.net> <m2xvGfPCsdhkFAEX@perry.uk>
<u6820o$37si7$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 06:42 UTC

In message <u6820o$37si7$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:17:12 on Mon, 12 Jun
2023, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> In message <kejfgdFoqj7U1@mid.individual.net>, at 15:26:20 on Sat, 10
>> Jun 2023, Rupert Moss-Eccardt <nin@moss-eccardt.com> remarked:

>>> Things have moved on and so a PVC is now probably over a packet-switch
>>> underlay. So the argument is a little pointless.
>>
>> Unless those packets were IP, routed by BGP, there would still be
>> architectural differences.
>
>You’re still conflating the forwarding of IP packets with the method of
>populating the routing table that is used to decide where to forward them.

There isn't one routing table (let alone one fairly static routing
table), that's the whole point. Each router with a packet to deliver has
its own individual routing table, based on information it's been
recently sent from all the routers it's peering with.

Think of it a bit like a hypothetical gantry where the southbound M1
approaches the M25, saying "Gatwick Airport 1hr 45 mins via Leatherhead;
1hr 38mins via Dartford".

{That's real data just now}
--
Roland Perry