Preserve Wildlife! Throw a party today!

aus+uk / uk.railway / TV Alert: C4 now, Ben Elton on "Great Railway Disaster"

SubjectAuthor
* TV Alert: C4 now, Ben Elton on "Great Railway Disaster"David Williams
+* TV Alert: C4 now, Ben Elton on "Great Railway Disaster"MB
|+- TV Alert: C4 now, Ben Elton on "Great Railway Disaster"Ken
|`* TV Alert: C4 now, Ben Elton on "Great Railway Disaster"Muttley
| `- TV Alert: C4 now, Ben Elton on "Great Railway Disaster"Recliner
`* TV Alert: C4 now, Ben Elton on "Great Railway Disaster"Muttley
 `* TV Alert: C4 now, Ben Elton on "Great Railway Disaster"Certes
  `* TV Alert: C4 now, Ben Elton on "Great Railway Disaster"Ken
   `- TV Alert: C4 now, Ben Elton on "Great Railway Disaster"Recliner

1
TV Alert: C4 now, Ben Elton on "Great Railway Disaster"

<87bkh2t47z.fsf@yahoo.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=61710&group=uk.railway#61710

From: david...@yahoo.co.uk (David Williams)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: TV Alert: C4 now, Ben Elton on "Great Railway Disaster"
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 20:26:24 +0100
 by: David Williams - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 19:26 UTC

Ben Elton: the Great Railway Disaster
C4 20:00 26 June 2023
(with various +1 or catch-up services)

Ben Elton takes a critical look at nearly 30 years of
privatisation in the British rail industry. Nothing is likely to
be too surprising to people reading this newsgroup.

So far, he's mentioned delays and cancellations using examples
from London-Manchester, Huddersfield and TransPennine Express.

--
David

Re: TV Alert: C4 now, Ben Elton on "Great Railway Disaster"

<u7e4sn$1b9v0$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=61717&group=uk.railway#61717

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 08:59:19 +0100
 by: MB - Tue, 27 Jun 2023 07:59 UTC

On 26/06/2023 20:26, David Williams wrote:
> Ben Elton takes a critical look at nearly 30 years of
> privatisation in the British rail industry. Nothing is likely to
> be too surprising to people reading this newsgroup.

With his politics, I don't suppose he will have made a programme with a
critical look at the old nationalised British Railways which many of us
remember.

Re: TV Alert: C4 now, Ben Elton on "Great Railway Disaster"

<k8fl9i13dikd7qjtsiv781bejtj16uu418@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=61720&group=uk.railway#61720

From: ken...@birchanger.com (Ken)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 11:43:39 +0100
 by: Ken - Tue, 27 Jun 2023 10:43 UTC

On Tue, 27 Jun 2023 08:59:19 +0100, MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:

>On 26/06/2023 20:26, David Williams wrote:
>> Ben Elton takes a critical look at nearly 30 years of
>> privatisation in the British rail industry. Nothing is likely to
>> be too surprising to people reading this newsgroup.
>

>With his politics, I don't suppose he will have made a programme with a
>critical look at the old nationalised British Railways which many of us
>remember.

Ho pointed out, as other commentators have, that it was in good shape
when it was privatised.

Re: TV Alert: C4 now, Ben Elton on "Great Railway Disaster"

<u7eulu$1e5m6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=61721&group=uk.railway#61721

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 15:19:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Tue, 27 Jun 2023 15:19 UTC

On Mon, 26 Jun 2023 20:26:24 +0100
David Williams <davidw_3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>Ben Elton: the Great Railway Disaster
>C4 20:00 26 June 2023
>(with various +1 or catch-up services)
>
>Ben Elton takes a critical look at nearly 30 years of
>privatisation in the British rail industry. Nothing is likely to
>be too surprising to people reading this newsgroup.
>
>So far, he's mentioned delays and cancellations using examples
>from London-Manchester, Huddersfield and TransPennine Express.

How many minutes until he made his first dig at Thatcher?

Re: TV Alert: C4 now, Ben Elton on "Great Railway Disaster"

<u7eunt$1e60c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=61722&group=uk.railway#61722

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 15:20:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Tue, 27 Jun 2023 15:20 UTC

MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:
>On 26/06/2023 20:26, David Williams wrote:
>> Ben Elton takes a critical look at nearly 30 years of
>> privatisation in the British rail industry. Nothing is likely to
>> be too surprising to people reading this newsgroup.
>

>With his politics, I don't suppose he will have made a programme with a
>critical look at the old nationalised British Railways which many of us
>remember.

Given he's lived in australia for about a decade why out of all the people
that could have been chosen did they choose him? Unless they simply wanted
some cookie cutter lefty to stick the boot into the tories.

Re: TV Alert: C4 now, Ben Elton on "Great Railway Disaster"

<u7f18l$1ee5l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=61723&group=uk.railway#61723

From: Cer...@example.org (Certes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 17:03:33 +0100
 by: Certes - Tue, 27 Jun 2023 16:03 UTC

On 27/06/2023 16:19, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jun 2023 20:26:24 +0100
> David Williams <davidw_3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> Ben Elton: the Great Railway Disaster
>> C4 20:00 26 June 2023
>> (with various +1 or catch-up services)
>>
>> Ben Elton takes a critical look at nearly 30 years of
>> privatisation in the British rail industry. Nothing is likely to
>> be too surprising to people reading this newsgroup.
>>
>> So far, he's mentioned delays and cancellations using examples
>>from London-Manchester, Huddersfield and TransPennine Express.
>
> How many minutes until he made his first dig at Thatcher?

He seems intelligent enough to realise how pointless that would be, but
he did remark how useful Crossrail is to London job seekers over footage
of Boris.

Re: TV Alert: C4 now, Ben Elton on "Great Railway Disaster"

<u7f18t$1eet7$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=61724&group=uk.railway#61724

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 16:03:41 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:SYlA05jIw1SF3rZvszON55Yd54A=
 by: Recliner - Tue, 27 Jun 2023 16:03 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jun 2023 08:59:19 +0100
> MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:
>> On 26/06/2023 20:26, David Williams wrote:
>>> Ben Elton takes a critical look at nearly 30 years of
>>> privatisation in the British rail industry. Nothing is likely to
>>> be too surprising to people reading this newsgroup.
>>

>> With his politics, I don't suppose he will have made a programme with a
>> critical look at the old nationalised British Railways which many of us
>> remember.
>
> Given he's lived in australia for about a decade why out of all the people
> that could have been chosen did they choose him? Unless they simply wanted
> some cookie cutter lefty to stick the boot into the tories.

He seems to split his time between his family home in Western Australia and
his UK base in East Sussex. Much of his work continues to be in the UK, so
he probably does travel around the UK by rail, and probably came up with
the programme idea himself.

From Wiki:
"Elton directed a new 20th anniversary tour of We Will Rock You, that
opened in February 2022 and visited over 25 cities in the United Kingdom.
He will also make his theatre debut as the Rebel Leader (previously known
as Pop) in a production of the show in 2023 at the London Coliseum from 2
June to 27 August. The 3 main cast members from the touring production will
also be starring."

Re: TV Alert: C4 now, Ben Elton on "Great Railway Disaster"

<54qn9itm71a60sta81fsf3qv3987idvhc9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=61745&group=uk.railway#61745

From: ken...@birchanger.com (Ken)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 09:05:42 +0100
 by: Ken - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 08:05 UTC

On Tue, 27 Jun 2023 17:03:33 +0100, Certes <Certes@example.org> wrote:

>On 27/06/2023 16:19, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>> On Mon, 26 Jun 2023 20:26:24 +0100
>> David Williams <davidw_3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Ben Elton: the Great Railway Disaster
>>> C4 20:00 26 June 2023
>>> (with various +1 or catch-up services)
>>>
>>> Ben Elton takes a critical look at nearly 30 years of
>>> privatisation in the British rail industry. Nothing is likely to
>>> be too surprising to people reading this newsgroup.
>>>
>>> So far, he's mentioned delays and cancellations using examples
>>>from London-Manchester, Huddersfield and TransPennine Express.
>>
>> How many minutes until he made his first dig at Thatcher?
>
>He seems intelligent enough to realise how pointless that would be, but
>he did remark how useful Crossrail is to London job seekers over footage
>of Boris.

I very nearly turned off after a few minutes because of the polemic
delivery because his attack targets are so trite as to be ineffective
(e.g. suggestions that money abstracted from the railways would fund
yachts). But I persisted and his points were valid, but not news to
anybody on here.

It is worth watching but not compulsory viewing.

Re: TV Alert: C4 now, Ben Elton on "Great Railway Disaster"

<nf7o9id5sv7gqudlluq2d77jkj35gp78cf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=61755&group=uk.railway#61755

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 12:54:24 +0100
 by: Recliner - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 11:54 UTC

On Wed, 28 Jun 2023 09:05:42 +0100, Ken <ken@birchanger.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Jun 2023 17:03:33 +0100, Certes <Certes@example.org> wrote:
>
>>On 27/06/2023 16:19, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:

>>> How many minutes until he made his first dig at Thatcher?
>>
>>He seems intelligent enough to realise how pointless that would be, but
>>he did remark how useful Crossrail is to London job seekers over footage
>>of Boris.
>
>I very nearly turned off after a few minutes because of the polemic
>delivery because his attack targets are so trite as to be ineffective
>(e.g. suggestions that money abstracted from the railways would fund
>yachts). But I persisted and his points were valid, but not news to
>anybody on here.
>
>It is worth watching but not compulsory viewing.

Agreed.

One problem is that, like many critics, he highlighted the faults in the pre-Covid franchise system that no longer
operates, and ignored the quite different faults in the concession system that we now have.

aus+uk / uk.railway / TV Alert: C4 now, Ben Elton on "Great Railway Disaster"