FORCE YOURSELF TO RELAX!

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: OT: Where BoJo got the idea for the undersea roundabout

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Where BoJo got the idea for the undersea roundaboutTweed
+* OT: Where BoJo got the idea for the undersea roundaboutRecliner
|+- OT: Where BoJo got the idea for the undersea roundaboutTweed
|`* OT: Where BoJo got the idea for the undersea roundaboutNobody
| `- OT: Where BoJo got the idea for the undersea roundaboutRecliner
`* OT: Where BoJo got the idea for the undersea roundaboutMB
 `* OT: Where BoJo got the idea for the undersea roundaboutTheo
  `* OT: Where BoJo got the idea for the undersea roundaboutMB
   `- OT: Where BoJo got the idea for the undersea roundaboutColinR

1
Re: OT: Where BoJo got the idea for the undersea roundabout

<u8k1n8$2vdu3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62166&group=uk.railway#62166

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: OT: Where BoJo got the idea for the undersea roundabout
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 16:58:16 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:UsVS00fpDS7G+kOSNsQC/ifFWT4=
 by: Tweed - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 16:58 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> I travelled through this recently constructed deep undersea road
> tunnel, and round the decorated roundabout, today on a day trip
> to the Faroe Islands. It's much deeper than the Chunnel.
>
> https://visitfaroeislands.com/en/see-do/culture-attractions0/world
> -first-under-sea-roundabout

Out of curiosity how do you do a day trip to the Faroe Islands?

Re: OT: Where BoJo got the idea for the undersea roundabout

<u8k4jn$2vn37$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62174&group=uk.railway#62174

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:47:35 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:uF47P+qI0poQH0aa8OPjHkv9ZuU=
 by: Recliner - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:47 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I travelled through this recently constructed deep undersea road
>> tunnel, and round the decorated roundabout, today on a day trip
>> to the Faroe Islands. It's much deeper than the Chunnel.
>>
>> https://visitfaroeislands.com/en/see-do/culture-attractions0/world
>> -first-under-sea-roundabout
>
> Out of curiosity how do you do a day trip to the Faroe Islands?

Actually, it's less than a half-day trip: arrive at noon, all aboard by
22:30, sail at 23:00.

https://www.cruisewatch.com/cruise-ships/silver-moon/3137/position

Re: OT: Where BoJo got the idea for the undersea roundabout

<u8k7vu$3022o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62175&group=uk.railway#62175

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 18:45:18 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:8Q1GyQvlRMgh96PjI+gZjLdWkdc=
 by: Tweed - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 18:45 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I travelled through this recently constructed deep undersea road
>>> tunnel, and round the decorated roundabout, today on a day trip
>>> to the Faroe Islands. It's much deeper than the Chunnel.
>>>
>>> https://visitfaroeislands.com/en/see-do/culture-attractions0/world
>>> -first-under-sea-roundabout
>>
>> Out of curiosity how do you do a day trip to the Faroe Islands?
>
> Actually, it's less than a half-day trip: arrive at noon, all aboard by
> 22:30, sail at 23:00.
>
> https://www.cruisewatch.com/cruise-ships/silver-moon/3137/position

Oh I see. I’d interpreted it as a day trip from the UK!

Re: OT: Where BoJo got the idea for the undersea roundabout

<u8kbii$30bid$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62177&group=uk.railway#62177

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 20:46:26 +0100
 by: MB - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 19:46 UTC

On 11/07/2023 17:58, Tweed wrote:
> Out of curiosity how do you do a day trip to the Faroe Islands?

A few years back I went to a conference about the Hebrides in past wars.
One speaker was from the Faroes and drove to Lewis in quite a small car.

Always regretted not getting a picture of a Faroes fire engine in
Lerwick but did get pictures of a Faroese lifeboat "RESCUE LIV" that
came through the canal near here.

Re: OT: Where BoJo got the idea for the undersea roundabout

<nvbrailth2f1ugcejbscoc50p3sauihqmv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62178&group=uk.railway#62178

From: joc...@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 12:47:31 -0700
 by: Nobody - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 19:47 UTC

On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:47:35 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
<recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I travelled through this recently constructed deep undersea road
>>> tunnel, and round the decorated roundabout, today on a day trip
>>> to the Faroe Islands. It's much deeper than the Chunnel.
>>>
>>> https://visitfaroeislands.com/en/see-do/culture-attractions0/world
>>> -first-under-sea-roundabout
>>
>> Out of curiosity how do you do a day trip to the Faroe Islands?
>
>Actually, it's less than a half-day trip: arrive at noon, all aboard by
>22:30, sail at 23:00.

Most cruisers would refer to them as *calls*.

A recent call (14 June) at Isafjordur, in Iceland's west fjords,
featured a shore tour to Dynjandi passing through two substantial road
tunnels. The first climbing out of Isafjordur had a T-intersection
with the side road pointing northwards about a third of the way
through... but I don't see any likely destination. It is possible it
is simply a deep turn-around bay in case either end is blocked by
avalanche.

Re: OT: Where BoJo got the idea for the undersea roundabout

<H9j*y-2kz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62179&group=uk.railway#62179

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 11 Jul 2023 21:45:21 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 20:45 UTC

MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:
> A few years back I went to a conference about the Hebrides in past wars.
> One speaker was from the Faroes and drove to Lewis in quite a small car.

That's a somewhat longer journey now that the Smyril Line doesn't call at
Scrabster or Lerwick:

https://goo.gl/maps/KnH1kC1wf5HdMHzf8

Re: OT: Where BoJo got the idea for the undersea roundabout

<u8ne1j$3dje9$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62198&group=uk.railway#62198

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 23:46:59 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:UJ3jzgCy7vZwdaUzRa9BnwwqqNs=
 by: Recliner - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 23:46 UTC

Nobody <jock@soccer.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:47:35 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
> <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Out of curiosity how do you do a day trip to the Faroe Islands?
>>
>> Actually, it's less than a half-day trip: arrive at noon, all aboard by
>> 22:30, sail at 23:00.
>
> Most cruisers would refer to them as *calls*.
>
> A recent call (14 June) at Isafjordur, in Iceland's west fjords,
> featured a shore tour to Dynjandi passing through two substantial road
> tunnels. The first climbing out of Isafjordur had a T-intersection
> with the side road pointing northwards about a third of the way
> through... but I don't see any likely destination. It is possible it
> is simply a deep turn-around bay in case either end is blocked by
> avalanche.

Yes, we visited Ísafjörður, via the long road tunnel.

What makes the Faroes roundabout unique is that it's a genuine junction in
a deep undersea tunnel, not a base tunnel under a hill. The older bridge
between the islands is described as an Atlantic Ocean bridge, as it
connects two Atlantic Ocean islands, with the ocean flowing between, so
this is a tunnel under (a part of) the AtlanticOcean.

Junctions in land tunnels aren't rare.

Re: OT: Where BoJo got the idea for the undersea roundabout

<u8om0j$3kp27$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62209&group=uk.railway#62209

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 12:09:06 +0100
 by: MB - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 11:09 UTC

On 11/07/2023 21:45, Theo wrote:
> That's a somewhat longer journey now that the Smyril Line doesn't call at
> Scrabster or Lerwick:

I can't remember the details now. so not sure exactly but some years ago
I think there were relatively cheap flights from London to Shetland
because the Icelandic airline had unused capacity on their flights.

Re: OT: Where BoJo got the idea for the undersea roundabout

<u8ooe7$3l0v6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62211&group=uk.railway#62211

From: rai...@greystane.shetland.co.uk (ColinR)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 12:50:34 +0100
 by: ColinR - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 11:50 UTC

On 13/07/2023 12:09, MB wrote:
> On 11/07/2023 21:45, Theo wrote:
>> That's a somewhat longer journey now that the Smyril Line doesn't call at
>> Scrabster or Lerwick:
>

> I can't remember the details now. so not sure exactly but some years ago
> I think there were relatively cheap flights from London to Shetland
> because the Icelandic airline had unused capacity on their flights.

Not Iceland but Faeroe:
http://sumburghairport.notshetland.com/2016/08/22/atlantic-airways/

--
Colin