"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain." -- The Wizard Of Oz

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut emissions

SubjectAuthor
* Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut emissionsCoffee
`* Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut emissionsRoland Perry
 +* Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to helpTweed
 |`* Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cutJack Harry Teesdale
 | +* Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cutCoffee
 | |+- Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cutCoffee
 | |`* Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to helpSam Wilson
 | | `* Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cutCoffee
 | |  `* Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to helpSam Wilson
 | |   `- Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cutCoffee
 | `* Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut emissionsRoland Perry
 |  +- Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cutCertes
 |  `- Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to helpSam Wilson
 `* Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cutCoffee
  `* Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut emissionsRoland Perry
   `* Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cutCoffee
    `* Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut emissionsRoland Perry
     `* Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cutCoffee
      +* Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to helpTweed
      |`* Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cutCoffee
      | `- Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to helpTweed
      `- Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut emissionsRoland Perry

1
Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut emissions

<u8f3re$27lij$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62068&group=uk.railway#62068

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut emissions
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 21:03:58 +0100
 by: Coffee - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 20:03 UTC

https://www.thenationalnews.com/world/uk-news/2023/07/09/airlines-told-to-give-realistic-travel-times-to-help-cut-emissions/

Re: Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut emissions

<p7V2FKq8w5qkFAc5@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62077&group=uk.railway#62077

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 06:50:52 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 05:50 UTC

In message <u8f3re$27lij$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:03:58 on Sun, 9 Jul
2023, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> remarked:
>https://www.thenationalnews.com/world/uk-news/2023/07/09/airlines-told-t
>o-give-realistic-travel-times-to-help-cut-emissions/

Who'd a thunk it! You can't arrive at the airport five minutes before
the plane takes off, and be on your way five minutes after it lands.

Also: "The group also wants airlines to offer free train tickets to
people who book international flights, to encourage them to travel to
the airport by rail instead of car."

Great idea, but first you need trains to get you to the airport for
those 7am departure, 2hr check-in flights. Plus a guarantee that the
train company pays enough compensation to get a later flight, if they
delay you.

(Actually Birmingham airport had eighteen departures between 6am and 7am
today)
--
Roland Perry

Re: Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut emissions

<u8g7n0$2f8ak$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62078&group=uk.railway#62078

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help
cut emissions
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 06:16:00 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:6wE+OymeWjaDbXlgOSavB1aQ5sY=
 by: Tweed - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 06:16 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <u8f3re$27lij$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:03:58 on Sun, 9 Jul
> 2023, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> remarked:
>> https://www.thenationalnews.com/world/uk-news/2023/07/09/airlines-told-t
>> o-give-realistic-travel-times-to-help-cut-emissions/
>
> Who'd a thunk it! You can't arrive at the airport five minutes before
> the plane takes off, and be on your way five minutes after it lands.
>
> Also: "The group also wants airlines to offer free train tickets to
> people who book international flights, to encourage them to travel to
> the airport by rail instead of car."
>
> Great idea, but first you need trains to get you to the airport for
> those 7am departure, 2hr check-in flights. Plus a guarantee that the
> train company pays enough compensation to get a later flight, if they
> delay you.
>
> (Actually Birmingham airport had eighteen departures between 6am and 7am
> today)

Some airports need a train service first - eg Glasgow.

Re: Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut emissions

<u8gl27$2gfjt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62091&group=uk.railway#62091

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut
emissions
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 11:03:51 +0100
 by: Coffee - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 10:03 UTC

On 10/07/2023 06:50, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <u8f3re$27lij$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:03:58 on Sun, 9 Jul
> 2023, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> remarked:
>> https://www.thenationalnews.com/world/uk-news/2023/07/09/airlines-told-t
>> o-give-realistic-travel-times-to-help-cut-emissions/
>
> Who'd a thunk it! You can't arrive at the airport five minutes before
> the plane takes off, and be on your way five minutes after it lands.
>
> Also: "The group also wants airlines to offer free train tickets to
> people who book international flights, to encourage them to travel to
> the airport by rail instead of car."
>
> Great idea, but first you need trains to get you to the airport for
> those 7am departure, 2hr check-in flights. Plus a guarantee that the
> train company pays enough compensation to get a later flight, if they
> delay you.
>
> (Actually Birmingham airport had eighteen departures between 6am and 7am
> today)

I've going to Turkey (Dalaman) in September. I could only find *ONE*
flight with availability that arrived back in the UK in time to return
home by public transport the same day.

Re: Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut emissions

<u8gn46$2gmkn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62094&group=uk.railway#62094

From: noreply4...@yahoo.co.uk (Jack Harry Teesdale)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
emissions
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 11:38:59 +0100
 by: Jack Harry Teesdale - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 10:38 UTC

On 10/07/2023 07:16, Tweed wrote:
> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> In message <u8f3re$27lij$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:03:58 on Sun, 9 Jul
>> 2023, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> remarked:
>>> https://www.thenationalnews.com/world/uk-news/2023/07/09/airlines-told-t
>>> o-give-realistic-travel-times-to-help-cut-emissions/
>>
>> Who'd a thunk it! You can't arrive at the airport five minutes before
>> the plane takes off, and be on your way five minutes after it lands.
>>
>> Also: "The group also wants airlines to offer free train tickets to
>> people who book international flights, to encourage them to travel to
>> the airport by rail instead of car."
>>
>> Great idea, but first you need trains to get you to the airport for
>> those 7am departure, 2hr check-in flights. Plus a guarantee that the
>> train company pays enough compensation to get a later flight, if they
>> delay you.
>>
>> (Actually Birmingham airport had eighteen departures between 6am and 7am
>> today)
>
> Some airports need a train service first - eg Glasgow.

Also Bristol, Cardiff and East Midlands

Re: Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut emissions

<u8gq40$2gvid$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62097&group=uk.railway#62097

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
emissions
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 12:30:08 +0100
 by: Coffee - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 11:30 UTC

On 10/07/2023 11:38, Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
> On 10/07/2023 07:16, Tweed wrote:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <u8f3re$27lij$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:03:58 on Sun, 9 Jul
>>> 2023, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> remarked:
>>>
>>> Who'd a thunk it! You can't arrive at the airport five minutes before
>>> the plane takes off, and be on your way five minutes after it lands.
>>>
>>> Also: "The group also wants airlines to offer free train tickets to
>>> people who book international flights, to encourage them to travel to
>>> the airport by rail instead of car."
>>>
>>> Great idea, but first you need trains to get you to the airport for
>>> those 7am departure, 2hr check-in flights. Plus a guarantee that the
>>> train company pays enough compensation to get a later flight, if they
>>> delay you.
>>>
>>> (Actually Birmingham airport had eighteen departures between 6am and 7am
>>> today)
>>
>> Some airports need a train service first - eg Glasgow.
>>
> Also Bristol, Cardiff and East Midlands

Cardiff plane station does have a rail air bus from Rhoose Cardiff
International Airport railway station.

It's operated by Adventure Travel who provide excellent services with
friendly and helpful law abiding drivers.

I get a 50% discount on those fares.

Re: Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut emissions

<u8gt4a$2ha25$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62100&group=uk.railway#62100

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
emissions
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 13:21:30 +0100
 by: Coffee - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 12:21 UTC

On 10/07/2023 12:30, Coffee wrote:
> On 10/07/2023 11:38, Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:

>>> Some airports need a train service first - eg Glasgow.
>>>
>> Also Bristol, Cardiff and East Midlands
>
> Cardiff plane station does have a rail air bus from Rhoose Cardiff
> International Airport railway station.
>
> It's operated by Adventure Travel who provide excellent services with
> friendly and helpful law abiding drivers.
>
> I get a 50% discount on those fares.

Oops. Forgot to add the link:-

https://www.brfares.com/!fares?orig=CGN&dest=XCF&period=20230703

Re: Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut emissions

<u8h0b5$2hluq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62103&group=uk.railway#62103

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
cut emissions
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 13:16:21 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:TJFa96gMC4txwV7VfAht5D03Hps=
 by: Sam Wilson - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 13:16 UTC

Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:
> On 10/07/2023 11:38, Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:

>>> Some airports need a train service first - eg Glasgow.
>>>
>> Also Bristol, Cardiff and East Midlands
>
> Cardiff plane station does have a rail air bus from Rhoose Cardiff
> International Airport railway station.
>
> It's operated by Adventure Travel who provide excellent services with
> friendly and helpful law abiding drivers.
>
> I get a 50% discount on those fares.

Is that a statment on the Register of Members’ Interests? :-)

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut emissions

<u8h4gu$2i3bs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62109&group=uk.railway#62109

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
emissions
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 15:27:42 +0100
 by: Coffee - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 14:27 UTC

On 10/07/2023 14:16, Sam Wilson wrote:
> Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:

>>> Also Bristol, Cardiff and East Midlands
>>
>> Cardiff plane station does have a rail air bus from Rhoose Cardiff
>> International Airport railway station.
>>
>> It's operated by Adventure Travel who provide excellent services with
>> friendly and helpful law abiding drivers.
>>
>> I get a 50% discount on those fares.
>
> Is that a statment on the Register of Members’ Interests? :-)

I hold no undeclared shares in any transportation company.

Re: Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut emissions

<u8hbpl$2issd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62115&group=uk.railway#62115

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
cut emissions
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 16:31:49 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:WUS2czt0WgeNkZyXIkzo6Mtwles=
 by: Sam Wilson - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 16:31 UTC

Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:
> On 10/07/2023 14:16, Sam Wilson wrote:
>> Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:

>>> Cardiff plane station does have a rail air bus from Rhoose Cardiff
>>> International Airport railway station.
>>>
>>> It's operated by Adventure Travel who provide excellent services with
>>> friendly and helpful law abiding drivers.
>>>
>>> I get a 50% discount on those fares.
>>
>> Is that a statment on the Register of Members’ Interests? :-)
>>
> I hold no undeclared shares in any transportation company.

So you’ve put them in a blind trust then - very sensible. :-)

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut emissions

<YCmv2hsH8FrkFAQD@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62123&group=uk.railway#62123

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 20:41:59 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 19:41 UTC

In message <u8gl27$2gfjt$1@dont-email.me>, at 11:03:51 on Mon, 10 Jul
2023, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> remarked:
>On 10/07/2023 06:50, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <u8f3re$27lij$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:03:58 on Sun, 9 Jul
>>2023, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> remarked:
>>> https://www.thenationalnews.com/world/uk-news/2023/07/09/airlines-told-t
>>> o-give-realistic-travel-times-to-help-cut-emissions/

>> Who'd a thunk it! You can't arrive at the airport five minutes
>>before the plane takes off, and be on your way five minutes after it
>>lands.

>> Also: "The group also wants airlines to offer free train tickets to
>>people who book international flights, to encourage them to travel to
>>the airport by rail instead of car."

>> Great idea, but first you need trains to get you to the airport for
>>those 7am departure, 2hr check-in flights. Plus a guarantee that the
>>train company pays enough compensation to get a later flight, if they
>>delay you.

>> (Actually Birmingham airport had eighteen departures between 6am and
>>7am today)
>
>I've going to Turkey (Dalaman) in September. I could only find *ONE*
>flight with availability that arrived back in the UK in time to return
>home by public transport the same day.

I've had to book a stopover at a Gatwick hotel on the way home because I
would have missed the last train (to my destination).
--
Roland Perry

Re: Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut emissions

<WSJsCGs67FrkFAxR@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62125&group=uk.railway#62125

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 20:41:46 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 19:41 UTC

In message <u8gn46$2gmkn$1@dont-email.me>, at 11:38:59 on Mon, 10 Jul
2023, Jack Harry Teesdale <noreply492000-medic@yahoo.co.uk> remarked:
>On 10/07/2023 07:16, Tweed wrote:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <u8f3re$27lij$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:03:58 on Sun, 9 Jul
>>> 2023, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> remarked:
>>>
>>> Who'd a thunk it! You can't arrive at the airport five minutes before
>>> the plane takes off, and be on your way five minutes after it lands.
>>>
>>> Also: "The group also wants airlines to offer free train tickets to
>>> people who book international flights, to encourage them to travel to
>>> the airport by rail instead of car."
>>>
>>> Great idea, but first you need trains to get you to the airport for
>>> those 7am departure, 2hr check-in flights. Plus a guarantee that the
>>> train company pays enough compensation to get a later flight, if they
>>> delay you.
>>>
>>> (Actually Birmingham airport had eighteen departures between 6am and 7am
>>> today)

>> Some airports need a train service first - eg Glasgow.
>>
>Also Bristol, Cardiff and East Midlands

East Midlands used to have a train service: free shuttle bus from the
station) but nobody used it. Not least because of the 5am issue. But if
airlines are to give free train tickets (could I get a Cambridge-Glasgow
ticket free, if that's where my departure is from) we could probably
cope with the last few miles.

There's also a good express bus from Nottingham station to the airport
(and not quite such good ones for Leicester and Derby).
--
Roland Perry

Re: Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut emissions

<u8hqgm$2keg2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62127&group=uk.railway#62127

From: Cer...@example.org (Certes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
emissions
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 21:43:02 +0100
 by: Certes - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 20:43 UTC

On 10/07/2023 20:41, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <u8gn46$2gmkn$1@dont-email.me>, at 11:38:59 on Mon, 10 Jul
> 2023, Jack Harry Teesdale <noreply492000-medic@yahoo.co.uk> remarked:

>>>  Some airports need a train service first - eg Glasgow.
>>>
>> Also Bristol, Cardiff and East Midlands
>
> East Midlands used to have a train service: free shuttle bus from the
> station) but nobody used it. Not least because of the 5am issue. But if
> airlines are to give free train tickets (could I get a Cambridge-Glasgow
> ticket free, if that's where my departure is from) we could probably
> cope with the last few miles.

And that's why it'll never happen: no TOC wants its customers buying a
£9.99 BudJet flight from Glasgow to a field in the middle of Moldova
and getting a free £400 rail ticket, and the airlines certainly won't be
paying for it.

Re: Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut emissions

<u8i5kc$2lroq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62131&group=uk.railway#62131

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
emissions
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 00:52:44 +0100
 by: Coffee - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 23:52 UTC

On 10/07/2023 17:31, Sam Wilson wrote:
> Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:

>>> Is that a statment on the Register of Members’ Interests? :-)
>>>
>> I hold no undeclared shares in any transportation company.
>
> So you’ve put them in a blind trust then - very sensible. :-)

lol

Re: Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut emissions

<u8i5uq$2lroq$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62132&group=uk.railway#62132

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
emissions
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 00:58:18 +0100
 by: Coffee - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 23:58 UTC

On 10/07/2023 20:41, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <u8gl27$2gfjt$1@dont-email.me>, at 11:03:51 on Mon, 10 Jul
> 2023, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> remarked:
>> On 10/07/2023 06:50, Roland Perry wrote:
>>> In message <u8f3re$27lij$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:03:58 on Sun, 9 Jul
>>> 2023, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> remarked:
>
>>>  Who'd a thunk it! You can't arrive at the airport five minutes
>>> before  the plane takes off, and be on your way five minutes after it
>>> lands.
>
>>>  Also: "The group also wants airlines to offer free train tickets to
>>> people who book international flights, to encourage them to travel to
>>> the airport by rail instead of car."
>
>>>  Great idea, but first you need trains to get you to the airport for
>>> those 7am departure, 2hr check-in flights. Plus a guarantee that the
>>> train company pays enough compensation to get a later flight, if they
>>> delay you.
>
>>>  (Actually Birmingham airport had eighteen departures between 6am and
>>> 7am  today)
>>
>> I've going to Turkey (Dalaman) in September.  I could only find *ONE*
>> flight with availability that arrived back in the UK in time to return
>> home by public transport the same day.
>
> I've had to book a stopover at a Gatwick hotel on the way home because I
> would have missed the last train (to my destination).

I investigated a hotel but a more expensive flight proved more
economical. Since it was a leisure trip I had a lot of flexibility
regarding the dates. If it was for work I would have had to book a hotel.

Re: Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut emissions

<x$zqxhzGeOrkFAmn@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62133&group=uk.railway#62133

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 06:24:22 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 05:24 UTC

In message <u8i5uq$2lroq$2@dont-email.me>, at 00:58:18 on Tue, 11 Jul
2023, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> remarked:
>On 10/07/2023 20:41, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <u8gl27$2gfjt$1@dont-email.me>, at 11:03:51 on Mon, 10 Jul
>>2023, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> remarked:

>>> I've going to Turkey (Dalaman) in September.  I could only find
>>>*ONE* flight with availability that arrived back in the UK in time
>>>to return home by public transport the same day.
>> I've had to book a stopover at a Gatwick hotel on the way home
>>because I would have missed the last train (to my destination).
>
>I investigated a hotel but a more expensive flight proved more
>economical. Since it was a leisure trip I had a lot of flexibility
>regarding the dates. If it was for work I would have had to book a
>hotel.

With only one daily return flight, choosing a different day would have
been impossible. (I have also flown to places with only one direct
flight a week). And as direct flights were important - the alternative
to the weekly flight was two legs by air, plus a 2hr bustituted flight -
whether business or leisure it was that or nothing).

ps Actually a flight plus a 5hr train ride was another possibility.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut emissions

<u8j0ub$2rthn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62143&group=uk.railway#62143

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
cut emissions
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 07:38:51 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:fNqHezN4DN2cX9eZCkl6scxvM2k=
 by: Sam Wilson - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 07:38 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <u8gn46$2gmkn$1@dont-email.me>, at 11:38:59 on Mon, 10 Jul
> 2023, Jack Harry Teesdale <noreply492000-medic@yahoo.co.uk> remarked:

>>> Some airports need a train service first - eg Glasgow.
>>>
>> Also Bristol, Cardiff and East Midlands
>
> East Midlands used to have a train service: free shuttle bus from the
> station) but nobody used it. Not least because of the 5am issue. But if
> airlines are to give free train tickets (could I get a Cambridge-Glasgow
> ticket free, if that's where my departure is from) we could probably
> cope with the last few miles.
>
> There's also a good express bus from Nottingham station to the airport
> (and not quite such good ones for Leicester and Derby).

Edinburgh would be complicated. If you could get a train to Edinburgh
Gateway then the tram would be the most convenient, but it’s not a
particularly easy station to get to from the south. If you were going to
change at Waverley anyway then you could get a tram or an airport bus from
there, or there is a much more convenient change to bus or tram at
Haymarket.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut emissions

<u8jkqm$2u22i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62153&group=uk.railway#62153

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
emissions
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 14:18:13 +0100
 by: Coffee - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 13:18 UTC

On 11/07/2023 06:24, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <u8i5uq$2lroq$2@dont-email.me>, at 00:58:18 on Tue, 11 Jul
> 2023, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> remarked:
>> On 10/07/2023 20:41, Roland Perry wrote:
>>> In message <u8gl27$2gfjt$1@dont-email.me>, at 11:03:51 on Mon, 10 Jul
>>> 2023, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> remarked:

>>>  I've had to book a stopover at a Gatwick hotel on the way home
>>> because I  would have missed the last train (to my destination).
>>
>> I investigated a hotel but a more expensive flight proved more
>> economical.  Since it was a leisure trip I had a lot of flexibility
>> regarding the dates.  If it was for work I would have had to book a
>> hotel.
>
> With only one daily return flight, choosing a different day would have
> been impossible. (I have also flown to places with only one direct
> flight a week). And as direct flights were important - the alternative
> to the weekly flight was two legs by air, plus a 2hr bustituted flight -
> whether business or leisure it was that or nothing).
>
> ps Actually a flight plus a 5hr train ride was another possibility.

BTW I'm about to book by rail journey to and from Gatwick.

Is it still necessary to check in well over two hours ahead of departure
to allow time for a meal?

Re: Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut emissions

<u8juth$2v5r8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62162&group=uk.railway#62162

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
cut emissions
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 16:10:26 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:lt6PcmJIt1clt0EA6lTtXM4DYiY=
 by: Tweed - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 16:10 UTC

Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:
> On 11/07/2023 06:24, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <u8i5uq$2lroq$2@dont-email.me>, at 00:58:18 on Tue, 11 Jul
>> 2023, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> remarked:

>>> I investigated a hotel but a more expensive flight proved more
>>> economical.  Since it was a leisure trip I had a lot of flexibility
>>> regarding the dates.  If it was for work I would have had to book a
>>> hotel.
>>
>> With only one daily return flight, choosing a different day would have
>> been impossible. (I have also flown to places with only one direct
>> flight a week). And as direct flights were important - the alternative
>> to the weekly flight was two legs by air, plus a 2hr bustituted flight -
>> whether business or leisure it was that or nothing).
>>
>> ps Actually a flight plus a 5hr train ride was another possibility.
>
> BTW I'm about to book by rail journey to and from Gatwick.
>
> Is it still necessary to check in well over two hours ahead of departure
> to allow time for a meal?

It’s not the meal you need to worry about, it’s padding for when the rail
service doesn’t run as advertised. Even if I drive to an airport I leave at
least 2 hours to give wriggle room in the event of traffic problems.

Re: Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut emissions

<u8k120$2vb44$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62163&group=uk.railway#62163

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
emissions
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:46:56 +0100
 by: Coffee - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 16:46 UTC

On 11/07/2023 17:10, Tweed wrote:
> Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:
>> On 11/07/2023 06:24, Roland Perry wrote:
>>> In message <u8i5uq$2lroq$2@dont-email.me>, at 00:58:18 on Tue, 11 Jul
>>> 2023, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> remarked:

>>> With only one daily return flight, choosing a different day would have
>>> been impossible. (I have also flown to places with only one direct
>>> flight a week). And as direct flights were important - the alternative
>>> to the weekly flight was two legs by air, plus a 2hr bustituted flight -
>>> whether business or leisure it was that or nothing).
>>>
>>> ps Actually a flight plus a 5hr train ride was another possibility.
>>
>> BTW I'm about to book by rail journey to and from Gatwick.
>>
>> Is it still necessary to check in well over two hours ahead of departure
>> to allow time for a meal?
>>

> It’s not the meal you need to worry about, it’s padding for when the rail
> service doesn’t run as advertised. Even if I drive to an airport I leave at
> least 2 hours to give wriggle room in the event of traffic problems.

I'll probably plan to arrive three hours before the flight which should
give me at least a train in hand from Reading to Gatwick if not two. I
don't think I'm gonna have any checked in luggage this time.

I've never thought about it before but what happens if you miss your
flight. Is there somewhere at Gatwick where you can book another flight?

Re: Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut emissions

<u8k1k2$2vdns$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62165&group=uk.railway#62165

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
cut emissions
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 16:56:34 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:wxA85nlsjGZzfdk1zaN4xie2Q5U=
 by: Tweed - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 16:56 UTC

Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:
> On 11/07/2023 17:10, Tweed wrote:
>> Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:

>>> BTW I'm about to book by rail journey to and from Gatwick.
>>>
>>> Is it still necessary to check in well over two hours ahead of departure
>>> to allow time for a meal?
>>>

>> It’s not the meal you need to worry about, it’s padding for when the rail
>> service doesn’t run as advertised. Even if I drive to an airport I leave at
>> least 2 hours to give wriggle room in the event of traffic problems.
>>
> I'll probably plan to arrive three hours before the flight which should
> give me at least a train in hand from Reading to Gatwick if not two. I
> don't think I'm gonna have any checked in luggage this time.
>
> I've never thought about it before but what happens if you miss your
> flight. Is there somewhere at Gatwick where you can book another flight?

Most airlines have representatives at major airports. Good travel insurance
should cover failure of public transport to get you to the airport, but you
do have to leave a reasonable checkin time.

Re: Airlines told to give 'realistic' travel times to help cut emissions

<7bSooJ5B+YrkFAEJ@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62170&group=uk.railway#62170

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 18:21:05 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:21 UTC

In message <u8jkqm$2u22i$1@dont-email.me>, at 14:18:13 on Tue, 11 Jul
2023, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> remarked:
>On 11/07/2023 06:24, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <u8i5uq$2lroq$2@dont-email.me>, at 00:58:18 on Tue, 11 Jul
>>2023, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> remarked:

>>> I investigated a hotel but a more expensive flight proved more
>>>economical.  Since it was a leisure trip I had a lot of flexibility
>>>regarding the dates.  If it was for work I would have had to book a hotel.
>> With only one daily return flight, choosing a different day would
>>have been impossible. (I have also flown to places with only one
>>direct flight a week). And as direct flights were important - the
>>alternative to the weekly flight was two legs by air, plus a 2hr
>>bustituted flight - whether business or leisure it was that or nothing).
>> ps Actually a flight plus a 5hr train ride was another possibility.
>
>BTW I'm about to book by rail journey to and from Gatwick.
>
>Is it still necessary to check in well over two hours ahead of
>departure to allow time for a meal?

I'd expect that 2hrs would be enough for check-in and security, but not
"a sit down meal".
--
Roland Perry