"I'd love to go out with you, but it's my parakeet's bowling night."

aus+uk / uk.railway / Ticket vending machines - questions

SubjectAuthor
* Ticket vending machines - questionsScott
+* Ticket vending machines - questionsMuttley
|`- Ticket vending machines - questionsScott
`* Ticket vending machines - questionsBevan Price
 `- Ticket vending machines - questionsRoland Perry

1
Ticket vending machines - questions

<o3bdbilq1revnho8ivd156m9dk2gdn4j4s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62293&group=uk.railway#62293

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Ticket vending machines - questions
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 16:18:58 +0100
 by: Scott - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 15:18 UTC

Am I correct that ticket vending machines cannot issue seat
reservations for purchases made using the machine (as opposed to
printing and collecting tickets purchased online)?

Is there an upper limit to the amount of cash accepted in a single
transaction (eg, four adults travelling first class to Penzance)
assuming the machine accepts cash at all, that is?

Re: Ticket vending machines - questions

<u96asv$1mk4l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62296&group=uk.railway#62296

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Ticket vending machines - questions
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 15:25:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 15:25 UTC

On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 16:18:58 +0100
Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>Am I correct that ticket vending machines cannot issue seat
>reservations for purchases made using the machine (as opposed to
>printing and collecting tickets purchased online)?
>
>Is there an upper limit to the amount of cash accepted in a single
>transaction (eg, four adults travelling first class to Penzance)
>assuming the machine accepts cash at all, that is?

You probably won't get away with paying for a 100 quid ticket in 2p pieces.

Re: Ticket vending machines - questions

<l6cdbi5q1kaou2pj78t71tucjebr6htpmd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62297&group=uk.railway#62297

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 16:34:34 +0100
 by: Scott - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 15:34 UTC

On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 15:25:19 -0000 (UTC), Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 16:18:58 +0100
>Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>>Am I correct that ticket vending machines cannot issue seat
>>reservations for purchases made using the machine (as opposed to
>>printing and collecting tickets purchased online)?
>>
>>Is there an upper limit to the amount of cash accepted in a single
>>transaction (eg, four adults travelling first class to Penzance)
>>assuming the machine accepts cash at all, that is?
>
>You probably won't get away with paying for a 100 quid ticket in 2p pieces.

I was asking about transaction value not denominations. Do you know
if there is an upper limit?

Re: Ticket vending machines - questions

<u96v70$1ppac$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62309&group=uk.railway#62309

From: bevanpri...@gmail.com (Bevan Price)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 22:12:00 +0100
 by: Bevan Price - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 21:12 UTC

On 18/07/2023 16:18, Scott wrote:
> Am I correct that ticket vending machines cannot issue seat
> reservations for purchases made using the machine (as opposed to
> printing and collecting tickets purchased online)?
>
> Is there an upper limit to the amount of cash accepted in a single
> transaction (eg, four adults travelling first class to Penzance)
> assuming the machine accepts cash at all, that is?

Machines vary from "company" to "company", and can have different
capabilities...

Re: Ticket vending machines - questions

<4Z$OWYJE7+tkFA1T@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62312&group=uk.railway#62312

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 15:10:12 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 14:10 UTC

In message <u96v70$1ppac$1@dont-email.me>, at 22:12:00 on Tue, 18 Jul
2023, Bevan Price <bevanprice666@gmail.com> remarked:

>On 18/07/2023 16:18, Scott wrote:

>> Am I correct that ticket vending machines cannot issue seat
>> reservations for purchases made using the machine (as opposed to
>> printing and collecting tickets purchased online)?
>> Is there an upper limit to the amount of cash accepted in a single
>> transaction (eg, four adults travelling first class to Penzance)
>> assuming the machine accepts cash at all, that is?
>
>Machines vary from "company" to "company", and can have different
>capabilities...

Physically they can very enormously. Here's the most recent one I
encountered, sadly very much inert apart from the rather strange public
information message at the top.

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/Kirkgate%20TVM.jpg

I could have captured myself as a reflection, but decided that would be
a distraction. Or in recliner-world a potential DOXing.

It struck me this wasn't very wheel-chair (or even short-person)
friendly.

The various things on the front (other than the broken presumably
touch-screen) are clockwise:

Speaker (should there ever be anyone other end)
PIN keypad
C&P socket
CC touchpad
Mystery window
Assistance Button (which did nothing when I tried it)
Local metro-card pad (almost certainly ITSO)
Dead tree ticket vending window.

But I would expect the fares available (had it been working) to be very
much the same as other and more conventional TVMS.
--
Roland Perry