Depends on how you define "always". :-) -- Larry Wall in <199710211647.JAA17957@wall.org>

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Transport for Wales to shake-up train timetables

SubjectAuthor
* Transport for Wales to shake-up train timetablesGraeme Wall
+* Transport for Wales to shake-up train timetablesRecliner
|`* Transport for Wales to shake-up train timetablesAnna Noyd-Dryver
| `* Transport for Wales to shake-up train timetablesRecliner
|  `* Transport for Wales to shake-up train timetablesAnna Noyd-Dryver
|   `* Transport for Wales to shake-up train timetablesRecliner
|    +* Transport for Wales to shake-up train timetablesAnna Noyd-Dryver
|    |`- Transport for Wales to shake-up train timetablesRecliner
|    `* Transport for Wales to shake-up train timetablesBevan Price
|     `* Transport for Wales to shake-up train timetablesAnna Noyd-Dryver
|      `- Transport for Wales to shake-up train timetablesCoffee
`- Transport for Wales to shake-up train timetablesBevan Price

1
Transport for Wales to shake-up train timetables

<u992v2$27n1n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62315&group=uk.railway#62315

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Transport for Wales to shake-up train timetables
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 17:28:18 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 16:28 UTC

<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-66244272>
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Transport for Wales to shake-up train timetables

<u99hg5$2a9ld$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62319&group=uk.railway#62319

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 20:36:21 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:aKezqP29BPHsXgf+dS77JWmyM/M=
 by: Recliner - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 20:36 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-66244272>

Interesting extract:

After criticism from a number of the MPs, Mr Price admitted that the Welsh
Marches rail services have been performing "incredibly badly" due to
problems "which were not predicted".

This was mainly due to the temporary withdrawal of Class 175 trains for
safety checks after a number of fires meaning inferior trains had to be
used instead.

The replacements were "typically non-air conditioned", he said. "They are
typically trains that like to run at 75 miles an hour, not 90 miles an
hour, so they tend to lose time on longer distance journeys.

"As a consequence of all of those things coming together, we ran a poorer
quality service with less capacity that was struggling to keep to time for
a period of time."

Due to "global supply chain" component failures it had taken "four or five
months" for the company TfW leases the 175 trains from to get them back in
service.

"I would say we are approaching an acceptable level of performance," he
said.
"What I now need to do over the next couple of months is take that to a
good level of performance. And then our ambition, obviously, is to run an
excellent service."

Mr Price said that before the pandemic the Welsh Marches line had been
"much less utilised than it is today" and that now "we are seeing much
higher demand on the Marches line".

He said the Welsh Marches line was, in fact, "the only line that makes us
any money".

————

Given the last statement, I wonder if they couldn't have worked harder to
find some temporary substitutes for the 175s? For example, did GWR have
any spare Castles that had been stood down?

Re: Transport for Wales to shake-up train timetables

<u9b2bv$2lkd5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62333&group=uk.railway#62333

From: bevanpri...@gmail.com (Bevan Price)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 11:30:23 +0100
 by: Bevan Price - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 10:30 UTC

On 19/07/2023 17:28, Graeme Wall wrote:
> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-66244272>

computer) - TfW has never had any HSTs, so it would probably take a year
or more to train enough crews to use them on the Marches line.

Indeed it might be slightly quicker to try and get a temporary easement
to permit Class 150 to run at 80mph instead of 75mph.
(In the days before radar traps, etc., both Classes 150 and 156 showed
they were able to reach about 85 mph on level track. )

Re: Transport for Wales to shake-up train timetables

<u9batb$2napa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62339&group=uk.railway#62339

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 12:56:11 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:MgmKz8DD6wBFYTQTKgL+aAazcHk=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 12:56 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-66244272>
>
> Interesting extract:
>
> After criticism from a number of the MPs, Mr Price admitted that the Welsh
> Marches rail services have been performing "incredibly badly" due to
> problems "which were not predicted".
>
> This was mainly due to the temporary withdrawal of Class 175 trains for
> safety checks after a number of fires meaning inferior trains had to be
> used instead.
>
> The replacements were "typically non-air conditioned", he said. "They are
> typically trains that like to run at 75 miles an hour, not 90 miles an
> hour, so they tend to lose time on longer distance journeys.
>
> "As a consequence of all of those things coming together, we ran a poorer
> quality service with less capacity that was struggling to keep to time for
> a period of time."
>
> Due to "global supply chain" component failures it had taken "four or five
> months" for the company TfW leases the 175 trains from to get them back in
> service.
>
> "I would say we are approaching an acceptable level of performance," he
> said.
> "What I now need to do over the next couple of months is take that to a
> good level of performance. And then our ambition, obviously, is to run an
> excellent service."
>
> Mr Price said that before the pandemic the Welsh Marches line had been
> "much less utilised than it is today" and that now "we are seeing much
> higher demand on the Marches line".
>
> He said the Welsh Marches line was, in fact, "the only line that makes us
> any money".
>
> ————
>
> Given the last statement, I wonder if they couldn't have worked harder to
> find some temporary substitutes for the 175s? For example, did GWR have
> any spare Castles that had been stood down?

Crew traction knowledge is the limiting factor (three weeks conversion to
HST for drivers), plus things like stop boards etc.

You’d probably be better hiring train plus crew from one of the railtour
companies.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Transport for Wales to shake-up train timetables

<dicibip1lgh76nobcuh68o5l5t4773bsd2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62341&group=uk.railway#62341

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 14:11:54 +0100
 by: Recliner - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 13:11 UTC

On Thu, 20 Jul 2023 12:56:11 -0000 (UTC), Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:

>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-66244272>
>>
>> Interesting extract:
>>
>> After criticism from a number of the MPs, Mr Price admitted that the Welsh
>> Marches rail services have been performing "incredibly badly" due to
>> problems "which were not predicted".
>>
>> This was mainly due to the temporary withdrawal of Class 175 trains for
>> safety checks after a number of fires meaning inferior trains had to be
>> used instead.
>>
>> The replacements were "typically non-air conditioned", he said. "They are
>> typically trains that like to run at 75 miles an hour, not 90 miles an
>> hour, so they tend to lose time on longer distance journeys.
>>
>> "As a consequence of all of those things coming together, we ran a poorer
>> quality service with less capacity that was struggling to keep to time for
>> a period of time."
>>
>> Due to "global supply chain" component failures it had taken "four or five
>> months" for the company TfW leases the 175 trains from to get them back in
>> service.
>>
>> "I would say we are approaching an acceptable level of performance," he
>> said.
>> "What I now need to do over the next couple of months is take that to a
>> good level of performance. And then our ambition, obviously, is to run an
>> excellent service."
>>
>> Mr Price said that before the pandemic the Welsh Marches line had been
>> "much less utilised than it is today" and that now "we are seeing much
>> higher demand on the Marches line".
>>
>> He said the Welsh Marches line was, in fact, "the only line that makes us
>> any money".
>>
>> ————
>>
>> Given the last statement, I wonder if they couldn't have worked harder to
>> find some temporary substitutes for the 175s? For example, did GWR have
>> any spare Castles that had been stood down?
>>

>Crew traction knowledge is the limiting factor (three weeks conversion to
>HST for drivers), plus things like stop boards etc.
>
>You’d probably be better hiring train plus crew from one of the railtour
>companies.

I wonder how many have stock compliant with the requirements for service (as opposed to charter) trains? For example,
most have slam doors.

Re: Transport for Wales to shake-up train timetables

<u9dfq0$361ev$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62366&group=uk.railway#62366

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 08:32:00 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:JrXgmLRDsgfK1Uic1ESgsl7FnzI=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 08:32 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jul 2023 12:56:11 -0000 (UTC), Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
>
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Interesting extract:
>>>
>>> After criticism from a number of the MPs, Mr Price admitted that the Welsh
>>> Marches rail services have been performing "incredibly badly" due to
>>> problems "which were not predicted".
>>>
>>> This was mainly due to the temporary withdrawal of Class 175 trains for
>>> safety checks after a number of fires meaning inferior trains had to be
>>> used instead.
>>>
>>> The replacements were "typically non-air conditioned", he said. "They are
>>> typically trains that like to run at 75 miles an hour, not 90 miles an
>>> hour, so they tend to lose time on longer distance journeys.
>>>
>>> "As a consequence of all of those things coming together, we ran a poorer
>>> quality service with less capacity that was struggling to keep to time for
>>> a period of time."
>>>
>>> Due to "global supply chain" component failures it had taken "four or five
>>> months" for the company TfW leases the 175 trains from to get them back in
>>> service.
>>>
>>> "I would say we are approaching an acceptable level of performance," he
>>> said.
>>> "What I now need to do over the next couple of months is take that to a
>>> good level of performance. And then our ambition, obviously, is to run an
>>> excellent service."
>>>
>>> Mr Price said that before the pandemic the Welsh Marches line had been
>>> "much less utilised than it is today" and that now "we are seeing much
>>> higher demand on the Marches line".
>>>
>>> He said the Welsh Marches line was, in fact, "the only line that makes us
>>> any money".
>>>
>>> ————
>>>
>>> Given the last statement, I wonder if they couldn't have worked harder to
>>> find some temporary substitutes for the 175s? For example, did GWR have
>>> any spare Castles that had been stood down?
>>>

>> Crew traction knowledge is the limiting factor (three weeks conversion to
>> HST for drivers), plus things like stop boards etc.
>>
>> You’d probably be better hiring train plus crew from one of the railtour
>> companies.
>
> I wonder how many have stock compliant with the requirements for service
> (as opposed to charter) trains? For example,
> most have slam doors.

They've been used on various special public trains organised by TOCs
recently, but perhaps couldn't be used on a more regular, ongoing basis.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Transport for Wales to shake-up train timetables

<u9dj80$36hs2$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62369&group=uk.railway#62369

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 09:30:40 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:7MyKxkTKT/B3T7iw1/L2vZWbrDk=
 by: Recliner - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 09:30 UTC

Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Crew traction knowledge is the limiting factor (three weeks conversion to
>>> HST for drivers), plus things like stop boards etc.
>>>
>>> You’d probably be better hiring train plus crew from one of the railtour
>>> companies.
>>
>> I wonder how many have stock compliant with the requirements for service
>> (as opposed to charter) trains? For example,
>> most have slam doors.
>>

> They've been used on various special public trains organised by TOCs
> recently, but perhaps couldn't be used on a more regular, ongoing basis.

I thought they had to be booked as charter trains, and couldn't just
substitute for normal service trains?

Coming back to this case, I take it that there are no spare 158s or 170s
available? Does TPE have any surplus 185s? We know Avanti has at least a
couple of spare 221s (which might be heading to Grand Central to cover for
unreliable 180s).

Re: Transport for Wales to shake-up train timetables

<u9dnc8$376uc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62371&group=uk.railway#62371

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 10:41:12 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:DJ8cYecmzN5zOLfCY2e9D/ZvMus=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 10:41 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I wonder how many have stock compliant with the requirements for service
>>> (as opposed to charter) trains? For example,
>>> most have slam doors.
>>>

>> They've been used on various special public trains organised by TOCs
>> recently, but perhaps couldn't be used on a more regular, ongoing basis.
>>

> I thought they had to be booked as charter trains, and couldn't just
> substitute for normal service trains?
>
> Coming back to this case, I take it that there are no spare 158s or 170s
> available? Does TPE have any surplus 185s? We know Avanti has at least a
> couple of spare 221s (which might be heading to Grand Central to cover for
> unreliable 180s).

I saw today that the first 221s have already transferred to GC.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Transport for Wales to shake-up train timetables

<u9e92t$3afid$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62389&group=uk.railway#62389

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 15:43:25 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:8M4u57fnO+/mH961sd9txcjTBjw=
 by: Recliner - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 15:43 UTC

Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:

>>> They've been used on various special public trains organised by TOCs
>>> recently, but perhaps couldn't be used on a more regular, ongoing basis.
>>>

>> I thought they had to be booked as charter trains, and couldn't just
>> substitute for normal service trains?
>>
>> Coming back to this case, I take it that there are no spare 158s or 170s
>> available? Does TPE have any surplus 185s? We know Avanti has at least a
>> couple of spare 221s (which might be heading to Grand Central to cover for
>> unreliable 180s).
>>

> I saw today that the first 221s have already transferred to GC.

Thanks, that's quicker than I expected.

Incidentally, re the idea of charter companies providing back-up trains, I
just learned that WCR now provides quick response Thunderbird locos 24x7
for the busy double-track section of the WCML. NR commissioned and is
paying for the service, and reckons that it pays for itself.

Re: Transport for Wales to shake-up train timetables

<u9eqmm$3e25g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62398&group=uk.railway#62398

From: bevanpri...@gmail.com (Bevan Price)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 21:44:06 +0100
 by: Bevan Price - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 20:44 UTC

On 21/07/2023 10:30, Recliner wrote:
> Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I wonder how many have stock compliant with the requirements for service
>>> (as opposed to charter) trains? For example,
>>> most have slam doors.
>>>

>> They've been used on various special public trains organised by TOCs
>> recently, but perhaps couldn't be used on a more regular, ongoing basis.
>>

> I thought they had to be booked as charter trains, and couldn't just
> substitute for normal service trains?
>
> Coming back to this case, I take it that there are no spare 158s or 170s
> available? Does TPE have any surplus 185s? We know Avanti has at least a
> couple of spare 221s (which might be heading to Grand Central to cover for
> unreliable 180s).

I think most of the 158s are already fully occupied in active service,
whilst 170s would have the same problem as HSTs -- lack of traction
knowledge by many of the crews, and it would take months to train enough
to run a viable service.

Re: Transport for Wales to shake-up train timetables

<u9g3bi$3ogav$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62402&group=uk.railway#62402

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 08:17:54 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:BG+bptgbW6ePZXdrez00UBxsuCo=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 08:17 UTC

Bevan Price <bevanprice666@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21/07/2023 10:30, Recliner wrote:
>> Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:

>>> They've been used on various special public trains organised by TOCs
>>> recently, but perhaps couldn't be used on a more regular, ongoing basis.
>>>

>> I thought they had to be booked as charter trains, and couldn't just
>> substitute for normal service trains?
>>
>> Coming back to this case, I take it that there are no spare 158s or 170s
>> available? Does TPE have any surplus 185s? We know Avanti has at least a
>> couple of spare 221s (which might be heading to Grand Central to cover for
>> unreliable 180s).
>
> I think most of the 158s are already fully occupied in active service,
> whilst 170s would have the same problem as HSTs -- lack of traction
> knowledge by many of the crews, and it would take months to train enough
> to run a viable service.

TfW have only just got rid of most of their fleet of 170s; but they never
(TTBOMK) operated north of Newport. I guess retaining them (have they
re-entered service elsewhere yet?) might have released some units from
other services, but there's a danger that it might just have been 153s…

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Transport for Wales to shake-up train timetables

<u9g65v$3or18$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62407&group=uk.railway#62407

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 10:06:05 +0100
 by: Coffee - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 09:06 UTC

On 22/07/2023 09:17, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
> Bevan Price <bevanprice666@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I thought they had to be booked as charter trains, and couldn't just
>>> substitute for normal service trains?
>>>
>>> Coming back to this case, I take it that there are no spare 158s or 170s
>>> available? Does TPE have any surplus 185s? We know Avanti has at least a
>>> couple of spare 221s (which might be heading to Grand Central to cover for
>>> unreliable 180s).
>>
>> I think most of the 158s are already fully occupied in active service,
>> whilst 170s would have the same problem as HSTs -- lack of traction
>> knowledge by many of the crews, and it would take months to train enough
>> to run a viable service.
>>

> TfW have only just got rid of most of their fleet of 170s; but they never
> (TTBOMK) operated north of Newport. I guess retaining them (have they
> re-entered service elsewhere yet?) might have released some units from
> other services, but there's a danger that it might just have been 153s…

Pairs of 153s seem to be replacing some former 170 services including to
Ebbw Vale.