Invest in physics -- own a piece of Dirac!

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: Quotes from Etresoft

SubjectAuthor
* Quotes from EtresoftDavid Brooks
+* Quotes from Etresoftnospam
|`* Quotes from Etresoftnospam
| `- Quotes from EtresoftDavid Brooks
`* Quotes from EtresoftWolffan
 `* Quotes from EtresoftDavid Brooks
  `* Quotes from Etresoftnospam
   `* Quotes from EtresoftDavid Brooks
    `* Quotes from Etresoftnospam
     `* Quotes from EtresoftDavid Brooks
      `- Quotes from EtresoftDavid Brooks

1
Quotes from Etresoft

<tt3OJ.23656$wLv5.11004@fx13.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6219&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6219

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Davidb...@{REMOVESPAM}me.com (David Brooks)
Subject: Quotes from Etresoft
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 08:39:53 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 08:39 UTC

//All Mac users should use the Mac App Store whenever possible. Apps
from the Mac App Store are regularly updated, reviewed by Apple for
quality and security, and easily removable. Before installing any
software from any other source, make sure you know how to remove it. It
is a very good idea to keep the original download files because they
sometimes contain uninstallers or uninstallation instructions.

Important: Any software that uses a dedicated installer that requires
your password may be difficult to uninstall.//

Note this, too......

//Along with web pop-ups and phishing e-mails, scam software is very
popular. Most software review sites on the internet are fake. Most
software reviews are fake. Most "top-10 software" lists on the internet
are fake. Most adware removal instructions on the internet are just ads
for scamware. When in doubt, or even when you aren’t in doubt, ask for
help on your favourite tech support website.

The Mac App Store is not immune to scam software. Do your own research.
Find the company that makes the software. Do they have a real web site?
Be suspicious if it is an individual person’s name instead of a company
name.//

Does anyone disagree?

--
David

Re: Quotes from Etresoft

<130220220824519246%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6227&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6227

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Quotes from Etresoft
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 08:24:51 -0500
 by: nospam - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 13:24 UTC

In article <19vh0htdob2b0oa70kqp6vs36r45dk0j9k@4ax.com>, Joel
<joelcrump@gmail.com> wrote:

> >//All Mac users should use the Mac App Store whenever possible. Apps
> >from the Mac App Store are regularly updated, reviewed by Apple for
> >quality and security, and easily removable. Before installing any
> >software from any other source, make sure you know how to remove it. It
> >is a very good idea to keep the original download files because they
> >sometimes contain uninstallers or uninstallation instructions.
> >
> >Important: Any software that uses a dedicated installer that requires
> >your password may be difficult to uninstall.//
> >
> >Note this, too......
> >
> >//Along with web pop-ups and phishing e-mails, scam software is very
> >popular. Most software review sites on the internet are fake. Most
> >software reviews are fake. Most "top-10 software" lists on the internet
> >are fake. Most adware removal instructions on the internet are just ads
> >for scamware. When in doubt, or even when you aren¹t in doubt, ask for
> >help on your favourite tech support website.
> >
> >The Mac App Store is not immune to scam software. Do your own research.
> >Find the company that makes the software. Do they have a real web site?
> >Be suspicious if it is an individual person¹s name instead of a company
> >name.//
> >
> >Does anyone disagree?
>

> Yes, I strongly disagree. It's easy to tell if I trust something or
> not.

based on what?

> I had a Mac for a brief time, 12 years ago, and I downloaded
> numerous apps from the Web without an issue.

one person's experience means absolutely nothing, especially if your
experience was brief. you wouldn't know what to even look for.

> There was no store back
> then.

only because it appeared a year later.

the mac app store launched roughly 11 years ago in january, 2011 with
10.6.6, after having been announced a few months earlier. lion/10.7,
released in mid-2011 was the first version of macos available on the
store, and also as a usb stick for those who could not use the store
for some reason, which almost nobody bought.

the only part of the above quote that's wrong is that using an
individual's name is more suspicious than a company name. in fact, the
opposite is true. bad actors are more likely to make it look like it's
from a well established company than a name of an individual.

Re: Quotes from Etresoft

<0001HW.27B940FC04F13F8C70000460238F@news.supernews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6228&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6228

Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 08:37:00 -0500
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop, uk.comp.sys.mac
 by: Wolffan - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 13:37 UTC

On 2022 Feb 13, Joel wrote
(in article<19vh0htdob2b0oa70kqp6vs36r45dk0j9k@4ax.com>):

> David Brooks<Davidb_tj@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
> > //All Mac users should use the Mac App Store whenever possible. Apps
> > from the Mac App Store are regularly updated, reviewed by Apple for
> > quality and security, and easily removable. Before installing any
> > software from any other source, make sure you know how to remove it. It
> > is a very good idea to keep the original download files because they
> > sometimes contain uninstallers or uninstallation instructions.
> >
> > Important: Any software that uses a dedicated installer that requires
> > your password may be difficult to uninstall.//
> >
> > Note this, too......
> >
> > //Along with web pop-ups and phishing e-mails, scam software is very
> > popular. Most software review sites on the internet are fake. Most
> > software reviews are fake. Most "top-10 software" lists on the internet
> > are fake. Most adware removal instructions on the internet are just ads
> > for scamware. When in doubt, or even when you aren’t in doubt, ask for
> > help on your favourite tech support website.
> >
> > The Mac App Store is not immune to scam software. Do your own research.
> > Find the company that makes the software. Do they have a real web site?
> > Be suspicious if it is an individual person’s name instead of a company
> > name.//
> >
> > Does anyone disagree?
>
> Yes, I strongly disagree. It's easy to tell if I trust something or
> not. I had a Mac for a brief time, 12 years ago, and I downloaded
> numerous apps from the Web without an issue. There was no store back
> then.

Note what JD (the dev behind Etresoft) says: apps which use dedicated
installers may be difficult to install, especially if they require your
password, and may need an uninstaller. That would be because if they need
your password they’re probably scattering stuff all over. Hmmm... who does
that? Companies like Adobe and Microsoft, that’s who. The vast majority of
Mac software comes on DMGs. You mount the DMG and drag the app to the
Applications folder (they usually have a nice convenient short cut set up for
easy install) or to any other place on the hard drive that you want to use,
almost all Mac software doesn’t care where it’s located. In many cases
you could just run it from the DMG without dropping it onto the hard drive,
but that’s not a good idea, not least because the DMG will usually unmount
on a restart and not mount again unless you take action. Uninstalling is a
matter of going to the Applications folder (or whereever) and dragging the
app to the Trash. Even some Adobe and Microsoft apps use the DMG method.
Uninstalling Creative Suite or MS Office typically requires an uninstaller or
a lot of patience hunting through the Library and assorted other folders
looking for Adobe/MS crap. That would include the Fonts folder if you really
want to get rid of everything. You wouldn’t believe how many fonts get
installed by Creative Suite or Office. Remember that there are often _two_
sets of folders to go through, the system level one and the user level one.
It’s a pain even if you do have an uninstaller, and a bigger one if you
don’t.

Note that he also said that some bad stuff has got onto the App Store. Apple
usually finds it and kills it, but it might take days, weeks, months...

Note that legit software is often not on the App Store, or may be both on the
App Store and available from a site. I’ve used Lemke’s Graphic Converter
since 1994; I downloaded it from his site, tried it, liked it, paid for a
license, and have used it since, including paying for major updates. It’s
now at version 11.something, I’ve paid for maybe three or four major
updates (minor updates being where Lemke didn’t charge for the update,
which is most of them) along the way from the v1 version I got initially.
Well worth the money. GC is also available on the App Store; I don’t use
the App Store version. There’s plenty more like GC.

It’s trivial to check out a site. How long has it been in business? What
complaints are there about the product? Are the complaints from a large
selection of people, or just from a few? Do the complaints reveal more about
the site, the software, or those making the complaints? (Hint: when most of
the complaints are from one id-duh-vidual, and make statements about how the
software installs rootkits which no-one else can detect, that says a _lot_
about the dumbfuck making the complaints, none of it good.)

Re: Quotes from Etresoft

<130220220856524461%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6229&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6229

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 08:56:52 -0500
 by: nospam - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 13:56 UTC

In article <eo1i0h5g7i1cefjkif7uetpefnrfiq9n8u@4ax.com>, Joel
<joelcrump@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Yes, I strongly disagree. It's easy to tell if I trust something or
> >> not.
> >
> >based on what?
>

> Not being a retard.

there are those who would disagree, plus your level of retardation is
not a metric to determine the trustworthiness of an app.

even well established apps can be hacked.

<https://blog.malwarebytes.com/threat-analysis/mac-threat-analysis/2017/
05/handbrake-hacked-to-drop-new-variant-of-proton-malware/>
Last year, the Transmission torrent app was hacked not just once, but
twice, to install the KeRanger ransomware and, later, the Keydnap
backdoor. Now, the same thing has happened to the popular
DVD-ripping HandBrake app, which is installing a new variant of the
Proton malware.

> >> I had a Mac for a brief time, 12 years ago, and I downloaded
> >> numerous apps from the Web without an issue.
> >
> >one person's experience means absolutely nothing, especially if your
> >experience was brief. you wouldn't know what to even look for.
>

> Brief but extensive.

that's contradictory.

> I bought the MacBook so that I could truly give
> then-OS X a whirl.

giving something 'a whirl' is not enough to gain the experience to know
what to look for or to know what isn't normal.

also, the app landscape of 12 years ago is very different than it is
now.

> >> There was no store back
> >> then.
> >
> >only because it appeared a year later.
> >
> >the mac app store launched roughly 11 years ago in january, 2011 with
> >10.6.6, after having been announced a few months earlier. lion/10.7,
> >released in mid-2011 was the first version of macos available on the
> >store, and also as a usb stick for those who could not use the store
> >for some reason, which almost nobody bought.
> >
> >the only part of the above quote that's wrong is that using an
> >individual's name is more suspicious than a company name. in fact, the
> >opposite is true. bad actors are more likely to make it look like it's
> >from a well established company than a name of an individual.
>

> As if I give a shit about any of that.

others do.

you're not the only one reading the thread.

Re: Quotes from Etresoft

<j7eOJ.24067$wLv5.15298@fx13.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6234&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6234

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Davidb...@{REMOVESPAM}me.com (David Brooks)
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 20:47:10 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 20:47 UTC

FYI

What is Proton?

Many people may never have heard of Proton before. Earlier this year, a
signature for Proton was silently added to Apple’s XProtect signatures,
but nobody ever saw a copy. Later, Sixgill wrote up findings that
revealed Proton was malware up for sale on the dark web.

Proton is a professionally-developed backdoor, which at the time was
selling for around 40 BTC (bitcoins), an amount that is currently worth
more than $63,000. At that price, unlimited installations were allowed.
A single-use license cost around 2 BTC, or more than $3,000.

As an aside, I find it rather ironic that this variant of Proton appears
to be a bit buggy, with some installs failing. Hopefully, Proton, Inc’s
customers will have similar questions. A little discord among criminals
wouldn’t be a bad thing.

Impact

This is a general-purpose backdoor with all the usual backdoor
functionality. In addition, it appears this malware is exfiltrating the
entire keychain, with all passwords. Thus, if you’re infected, the first
priority should be changing all your online passwords. (After ensuring
that your computer is free of infection, of course! Never change
passwords on a device that may still be infected.)

You’ll also want to take any necessary precautions if you have sensitive
data that may have been exfiltrated and business users should contact
their IT departments if a company Mac is found to be infected.

Seems like this is increasingly becoming something Mac users have to
worry about.

Re: Quotes from Etresoft

<jkeOJ.278111$HbQ4.135489@fx02.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6235&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6235

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Davidb...@{REMOVESPAM}me.com (David Brooks)
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 21:01:02 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 21:01 UTC

On 13/02/2022 13:44, Joel wrote:
> Wolffan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:
>
>> Note that legit software is often not on the App Store, or may be both on the
>> App Store and available from a site. I’ve used Lemke’s Graphic Converter
>> since 1994; I downloaded it from his site, tried it, liked it, paid for a
>> license, and have used it since, including paying for major updates. It’s
>> now at version 11.something, I’ve paid for maybe three or four major
>> updates (minor updates being where Lemke didn’t charge for the update,
>> which is most of them) along the way from the v1 version I got initially.
>> Well worth the money. GC is also available on the App Store; I don’t use
>> the App Store version. There’s plenty more like GC.
>>
>> It’s trivial to check out a site. How long has it been in business? What
>> complaints are there about the product? Are the complaints from a large
>> selection of people, or just from a few? Do the complaints reveal more about
>> the site, the software, or those making the complaints? (Hint: when most of
>> the complaints are from one id-duh-vidual, and make statements about how the
>> software installs rootkits which no-one else can detect, that says a _lot_
>> about the dumbfuck making the complaints, none of it good.)
>

> That's about what I meant - I tend to find it self-evident whether I
> trust a site, but even if not, you could research it a bit. Since I'm
> running Windows, I have built in anti-malware software anyway, but I
> don't rely solely on that - I use my own intuition about apps.

Thanks for providing your view, Joel

I wondered about www.clamXav.com so went to find out more about it on
Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/clamxav

"374 people like this, including 2 of your friends"

If it really *IS* a good - and necessary - AV software, surely MANY more
people would 'like' it on Facebook.

For comparison ....
1,312,766 people like Norton https://www.facebook.com/uknorton

Re: Quotes from Etresoft

<130220221645511186%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6239&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6239

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 16:45:51 -0500
 by: nospam - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 21:45 UTC

In article <jkeOJ.278111$HbQ4.135489@fx02.ams1>, David Brooks
<Davidb_tj@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

> I wondered about www.clamXav.com so went to find out more about it on
> Facebook.
>
> https://www.facebook.com/clamxav
>
> "374 people like this, including 2 of your friends"
>
> If it really *IS* a good - and necessary - AV software, surely MANY more
> people would 'like' it on Facebook.

nope. facebook likes is not a metric of quality.

this is especially true because likes can be bought.

> For comparison ....
> 1,312,766 people like Norton https://www.facebook.com/uknorton

norton is awful.

Re: Quotes from Etresoft

<IzfOJ.603394$hye7.471772@fx11.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6244&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6244

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Davidb...@{REMOVESPAM}me.com (David Brooks)
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 22:25:42 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 22:25 UTC

On 13/02/2022 21:45, nospam wrote:
> In article <jkeOJ.278111$HbQ4.135489@fx02.ams1>, David Brooks
> <Davidb_tj@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> I wondered about www.clamXav.com so went to find out more about it on
>> Facebook.
>>
>> https://www.facebook.com/clamxav
>>
>> "374 people like this, including 2 of your friends"
>>
>> If it really *IS* a good - and necessary - AV software, surely MANY more
>> people would 'like' it on Facebook.
>
> nope. facebook likes is not a metric of quality.

OK - How do YOU judge whether or not ClamXav is a scam?

> this is especially true because likes can be bought.

I had no idea that is possible. Can you support that claim?

>> For comparison ....
>> 1,312,766 people like Norton https://www.facebook.com/uknorton
>
> norton is awful.

Norton was selected simply for a comparison.

3,323,947 people like Kaspersky https://www.facebook.com/Kaspersky

Re: Quotes from Etresoft

<130220221753334863%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6247&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6247

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 17:53:33 -0500
 by: nospam - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 22:53 UTC

In article <IzfOJ.603394$hye7.471772@fx11.ams1>, David Brooks
<Davidb_tj@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

> >> I wondered about www.clamXav.com so went to find out more about it on
> >> Facebook.
> >>
> >> https://www.facebook.com/clamxav
> >>
> >> "374 people like this, including 2 of your friends"
> >>
> >> If it really *IS* a good - and necessary - AV software, surely MANY more
> >> people would 'like' it on Facebook.
> >
> > nope. facebook likes is not a metric of quality.
>
> OK - How do YOU judge whether or not ClamXav is a scam?
>
> > this is especially true because likes can be bought.
>
> I had no idea that is possible.

no surprise there.

you have no idea about a lot of things.

> Can you support that claim?

there's this thing called a search engine. maybe give it a try sometime.

<https://www.google.com/search?q=buy+facebook+likes+followers>

Re: Quotes from Etresoft

<VkgOJ.30217$a7S2.24891@fx03.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6249&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6249

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Davidb...@{REMOVESPAM}me.com (David Brooks)
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 23:18:13 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 23:18 UTC

On 13/02/2022 23:00, Joel wrote:
> nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>>> OK - How do YOU judge whether or not ClamXav is a scam?

>>> I had no idea that is possible.
>>
>> no surprise there.
>>
>> you have no idea about a lot of things.
>>
>>> Can you support that claim?
>>
>> there's this thing called a search engine. maybe give it a try sometime.
>>
>> <https://www.google.com/search?q=buy+facebook+likes+followers>
>

> You are such a negativity-ridden piece of shit.

IAWTP

He never gives an honest answer to a valid question.

The shit you refer to from him is BULLSHIT!

Re: Quotes from Etresoft

<uAgOJ.278112$HbQ4.141973@fx02.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6251&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6251

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
<uq4j0hllvlka556bp4cg2pp75p8ooaevng@4ax.com>
From: BDB...@invalid.invalid (David Brooks)
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 23:34:50 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 23:34 UTC

On 13/02/2022 23:26, Joel wrote:
> David Brooks <Davidb_tj@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>>> You [nospam] are such a negativity-ridden piece of shit.
>>
>> IAWTP
>>
>> He never gives an honest answer to a valid question.
>>
>> The shit you refer to from him is BULLSHIT!
>

> He/she/they is a troll.

That does not surprise me. 'Philo' mentioned that to me long ago but I'm
still a bit naive about Usenet postings.