The solution of this problem is trivial and is left as an exercise for the reader.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: No Overtime Days

SubjectAuthor
* No Overtime DaysGB
+- No Overtime DaysGB
+* No Overtime DaysBevan Price
|+* No Overtime DaysMuttley
||+* No Overtime DaysRecliner
|||`- No Overtime DaysMuttley
||`- No Overtime DaysGB
|+* No Overtime DaysRecliner
||+- No Overtime DaysScott
||`* No Overtime DaysGraeme Wall
|| `* No Overtime DaysRecliner
||  `- No Overtime DaysTweed
|+- No Overtime DaysGB
|`* No Overtime DaysJames Heaton
| `- No Overtime DaysGB
+- No Overtime DaysKen
`- No Overtime DaysMB

1
No Overtime Days

<u960gh$1l13q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62286&group=uk.railway#62286

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: No Overtime Days
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 13:28:01 +0100
 by: GB - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 12:28 UTC

Friends have booked to travel London to SHM, leaving at lunchtime on 4
August and returning on 7 August. They have reserved seats for the
outward legs, but not the return.

Aslef are banning overtime from Monday 31 July to Saturday 5 August. No
word yet from RMT, but they don't tend to overlap.

Our friends are getting a bit anxious. Are there any words of comfort I
can give them?

Re: No Overtime Days

<u960oa$1l13q$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62287&group=uk.railway#62287

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: No Overtime Days
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 13:32:11 +0100
 by: GB - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 12:32 UTC

On 18/07/2023 13:28, GB wrote:
> Friends have booked to travel London to SHM, leaving at lunchtime on 4
> August and returning on 7 August. They have reserved seats for the
> outward legs, but not the return.

Just to clarify, they are travelling LST to NRW, and then NRW to SHM.

> Aslef are banning overtime  from Monday 31 July to Saturday 5 August. No
> word yet from RMT, but they don't tend to overlap.
>
> Our friends are getting a bit anxious. Are there any words of comfort I
> can give them?

Re: No Overtime Days

<u969kp$1maet$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62289&group=uk.railway#62289

From: bevanpri...@gmail.com (Bevan Price)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 16:03:54 +0100
 by: Bevan Price - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 15:03 UTC

On 18/07/2023 13:28, GB wrote:
> Friends have booked to travel London to SHM, leaving at lunchtime on 4
> August and returning on 7 August. They have reserved seats for the
> outward legs, but not the return.
>
> Aslef are banning overtime  from Monday 31 July to Saturday 5 August. No
> word yet from RMT, but they don't tend to overlap.
>
> Our friends are getting a bit anxious. Are there any words of comfort I
> can give them?

Tell them to check the realtime trains website in the days before they
travel, and warn them they may need to change journey times at short
notice. Avoid travelling home late in the day.

And someone should tell the unions that their industrial action is
futile. No matter how long they pursue their actions, they should have
now realised by now that THERE WILL BE NO MORE MONEY whilst we have the
current government.

Re: No Overtime Days

<u96a14$1mfhq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62290&group=uk.railway#62290

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 15:10:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 15:10 UTC

On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 16:03:54 +0100
Bevan Price <bevanprice666@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 18/07/2023 13:28, GB wrote:
>> Friends have booked to travel London to SHM, leaving at lunchtime on 4
>> August and returning on 7 August. They have reserved seats for the
>> outward legs, but not the return.
>>
>> Aslef are banning overtime  from Monday 31 July to Saturday 5 August. No
>> word yet from RMT, but they don't tend to overlap.
>>
>> Our friends are getting a bit anxious. Are there any words of comfort I
>> can give them?
>>

>Tell them to check the realtime trains website in the days before they
>travel, and warn them they may need to change journey times at short
>notice. Avoid travelling home late in the day.

Tell them to hire a car instead.

>And someone should tell the unions that their industrial action is
>futile. No matter how long they pursue their actions, they should have
>now realised by now that THERE WILL BE NO MORE MONEY whilst we have the
>current government.

Mick Lynch and his bolshiviks don't care about that, this is political. They're
throwing their weight around to prove what tough guys they are, stick it to
the tories and probably to remind Starmer that when he (probably) becomes PM
the unions arn't going away.

I do however agree with him about ticket office closures but he's cried wolf
far too often for anyone to take much notice now so if he was hoping for much
public support he's probably disappointed.

Re: No Overtime Days

<u96a4m$1mg1e$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62291&group=uk.railway#62291

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 15:12:22 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:la2rFd4oMI6z0RVozEYkeDGffSg=
 by: Recliner - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 15:12 UTC

Bevan Price <bevanprice666@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18/07/2023 13:28, GB wrote:
>> Friends have booked to travel London to SHM, leaving at lunchtime on 4
>> August and returning on 7 August. They have reserved seats for the
>> outward legs, but not the return.
>>
>> Aslef are banning overtime  from Monday 31 July to Saturday 5 August. No
>> word yet from RMT, but they don't tend to overlap.
>>
>> Our friends are getting a bit anxious. Are there any words of comfort I
>> can give them?
>>

> Tell them to check the realtime trains website in the days before they
> travel, and warn them they may need to change journey times at short
> notice. Avoid travelling home late in the day.
>
> And someone should tell the unions that their industrial action is
> futile. No matter how long they pursue their actions, they should have
> now realised by now that THERE WILL BE NO MORE MONEY whilst we have the
> current government.

I'm going to Dublin that week. I could have booked a train/ferry via
Holyhead but fortunately booked a flight instead. Much quicker, more
reliable, and cheaper.

Re: No Overtime Days

<u96adm$1mhem$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62292&group=uk.railway#62292

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 15:17:10 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Jw4uvj+/oeBh282F9DTPDRgG4xI=
 by: Recliner - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 15:17 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 16:03:54 +0100
> Bevan Price <bevanprice666@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 18/07/2023 13:28, GB wrote:
>>> Friends have booked to travel London to SHM, leaving at lunchtime on 4
>>> August and returning on 7 August. They have reserved seats for the
>>> outward legs, but not the return.
>>>
>>> Aslef are banning overtime  from Monday 31 July to Saturday 5 August. No
>>> word yet from RMT, but they don't tend to overlap.
>>>
>>> Our friends are getting a bit anxious. Are there any words of comfort I
>>> can give them?
>>>

>> Tell them to check the realtime trains website in the days before they
>> travel, and warn them they may need to change journey times at short
>> notice. Avoid travelling home late in the day.
>
> Tell them to hire a car instead.
>
>> And someone should tell the unions that their industrial action is
>> futile. No matter how long they pursue their actions, they should have
>> now realised by now that THERE WILL BE NO MORE MONEY whilst we have the
>> current government.
>
> Mick Lynch and his bolshiviks don't care about that, this is political.

That's true, but this strike has nothing to do with Mick Lynch.

> They're
> throwing their weight around to prove what tough guys they are, stick it to
> the tories and probably to remind Starmer that when he (probably) becomes PM
> the unions arn't going away.

The RMT aren't affiliated with Labour, so they'll be just as stroppy with a
Labour government.

> I do however agree with him about ticket office closures but he's cried wolf
> far too often for anyone to take much notice now so if he was hoping for much
> public support he's probably disappointed.

Yes, and rail workers don't get the same public sympathy as NHS staff.

Re: No Overtime Days

<u96aq1$1mjig$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62294&group=uk.railway#62294

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 15:23:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 15:23 UTC

On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 15:17:10 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
><Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 16:03:54 +0100
>> Bevan Price <bevanprice666@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Tell them to check the realtime trains website in the days before they
>>> travel, and warn them they may need to change journey times at short
>>> notice. Avoid travelling home late in the day.
>>
>> Tell them to hire a car instead.
>>
>>> And someone should tell the unions that their industrial action is
>>> futile. No matter how long they pursue their actions, they should have
>>> now realised by now that THERE WILL BE NO MORE MONEY whilst we have the
>>> current government.
>>
>> Mick Lynch and his bolshiviks don't care about that, this is political.
>
>That's true, but this strike has nothing to do with Mick Lynch.

Aslef, RMT, 2 sides of the same red coin. They no doubt have frequent behind
the scenes pints down The Hammer and Sickle discussion strategy.

>> I do however agree with him about ticket office closures but he's cried wolf
>> far too often for anyone to take much notice now so if he was hoping for much
>
>> public support he's probably disappointed.
>
>Yes, and rail workers don't get the same public sympathy as NHS staff.

Not sure consultants on 100K+ will garner much sympathy if they walk out as
promised.

Re: No Overtime Days

<libdbihmeo30lo5hba2nhckeqm7s1ga4n8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62295&group=uk.railway#62295

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 16:24:08 +0100
 by: Scott - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 15:24 UTC

On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 15:12:22 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
<recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>Bevan Price <bevanprice666@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 18/07/2023 13:28, GB wrote:
>>> Friends have booked to travel London to SHM, leaving at lunchtime on 4
>>> August and returning on 7 August. They have reserved seats for the
>>> outward legs, but not the return.
>>>
>>> Aslef are banning overtime  from Monday 31 July to Saturday 5 August. No
>>> word yet from RMT, but they don't tend to overlap.
>>>
>>> Our friends are getting a bit anxious. Are there any words of comfort I
>>> can give them?
>>>

>> Tell them to check the realtime trains website in the days before they
>> travel, and warn them they may need to change journey times at short
>> notice. Avoid travelling home late in the day.
>>
>> And someone should tell the unions that their industrial action is
>> futile. No matter how long they pursue their actions, they should have
>> now realised by now that THERE WILL BE NO MORE MONEY whilst we have the
>> current government.
>
>I'm going to Dublin that week. I could have booked a train/ferry via
>Holyhead but fortunately booked a flight instead. Much quicker, more
>reliable, and cheaper.

Unless you are travelling via Gatwick ...

Re: No Overtime Days

<u96c68$1mqu6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62299&group=uk.railway#62299

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 16:47:20 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 15:47 UTC

On 18/07/2023 16:12, Recliner wrote:
> Bevan Price <bevanprice666@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 18/07/2023 13:28, GB wrote:
>>> Friends have booked to travel London to SHM, leaving at lunchtime on 4
>>> August and returning on 7 August. They have reserved seats for the
>>> outward legs, but not the return.
>>>
>>> Aslef are banning overtime  from Monday 31 July to Saturday 5 August. No
>>> word yet from RMT, but they don't tend to overlap.
>>>
>>> Our friends are getting a bit anxious. Are there any words of comfort I
>>> can give them?
>>>

>> Tell them to check the realtime trains website in the days before they
>> travel, and warn them they may need to change journey times at short
>> notice. Avoid travelling home late in the day.
>>
>> And someone should tell the unions that their industrial action is
>> futile. No matter how long they pursue their actions, they should have
>> now realised by now that THERE WILL BE NO MORE MONEY whilst we have the
>> current government.
>
> I'm going to Dublin that week. I could have booked a train/ferry via
> Holyhead but fortunately booked a flight instead. Much quicker, more
> reliable, and cheaper.

You do know about all the airport worker strikes?
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: No Overtime Days

<u96e67$1n42c$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62300&group=uk.railway#62300

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 16:21:27 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:moMYPyKiFa3LjNjzQYFvO2DjEF4=
 by: Recliner - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 16:21 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 18/07/2023 16:12, Recliner wrote:
>> Bevan Price <bevanprice666@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Tell them to check the realtime trains website in the days before they
>>> travel, and warn them they may need to change journey times at short
>>> notice. Avoid travelling home late in the day.
>>>
>>> And someone should tell the unions that their industrial action is
>>> futile. No matter how long they pursue their actions, they should have
>>> now realised by now that THERE WILL BE NO MORE MONEY whilst we have the
>>> current government.
>>
>> I'm going to Dublin that week. I could have booked a train/ferry via
>> Holyhead but fortunately booked a flight instead. Much quicker, more
>> reliable, and cheaper.
>>

> You do know about all the airport worker strikes?

Heathrow is running smoothly. Ó

Re: No Overtime Days

<u96it7$1nsjd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62301&group=uk.railway#62301

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 17:41:59 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:w8c71JFOC+pXyAvnuRLHHONt++c=
 by: Tweed - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 17:41 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> I'm going to Dublin that week. I could have booked a train/ferry via
>>> Holyhead but fortunately booked a flight instead. Much quicker, more
>>> reliable, and cheaper.
>>>

>> You do know about all the airport worker strikes?
>
> Heathrow is running smoothly. Ó

I regularly fly Birmingham to Glasgow for similar reasons. Cheaper, more
comfortable and they don’t decide to degrade the service because it’s
Sunday. Oh, and airline seats on airliners are much more comfortable than
“airline” seats on trains.

Re: No Overtime Days

<u96mdn$1oc9g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62302&group=uk.railway#62302

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 19:42:01 +0100
 by: GB - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 18:42 UTC

On 18/07/2023 16:10, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:

> Tell them to hire a car instead.

I did.

>> And someone should tell the unions that their industrial action is
>> futile. No matter how long they pursue their actions, they should have
>> now realised by now that THERE WILL BE NO MORE MONEY whilst we have the
>> current government.
>
> Mick Lynch and his bolshiviks don't care about that, this is political. They're
> throwing their weight around to prove what tough guys they are, stick it to
> the tories and probably to remind Starmer that when he (probably) becomes PM
> the unions arn't going away.
>
> I do however agree with him about ticket office closures but he's cried wolf
> far too often for anyone to take much notice now so if he was hoping for much
> public support he's probably disappointed.

Re: No Overtime Days

<u96n6p$1ohmr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62303&group=uk.railway#62303

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 19:55:22 +0100
 by: GB - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 18:55 UTC

On 18/07/2023 16:03, Bevan Price wrote:
> On 18/07/2023 13:28, GB wrote:
>> Friends have booked to travel London to SHM, leaving at lunchtime on 4
>> August and returning on 7 August. They have reserved seats for the
>> outward legs, but not the return.
>>
>> Aslef are banning overtime  from Monday 31 July to Saturday 5 August.
>> No word yet from RMT, but they don't tend to overlap.
>>
>> Our friends are getting a bit anxious. Are there any words of comfort
>> I can give them?
>>

> Tell them to check the realtime trains website in the days before they
> travel, and warn them they may need to change journey times at short
> notice. Avoid travelling home late in the day.

Thanks. I have passed that on.

> And someone should tell the unions that their industrial action is
> futile. No matter how long they pursue their actions, they should have
> now realised by now that THERE WILL BE NO MORE MONEY whilst we have the
> current government.

Re: No Overtime Days

<u96n77$1ohv5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62304&group=uk.railway#62304

From: heatonan...@gmail.com.invalid (James Heaton)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 19:55:29 +0100
 by: James Heaton - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 18:55 UTC

"Bevan Price" wrote in message news:u969kp$1maet$1@dont-email.me...

On 18/07/2023 13:28, GB wrote:
> Friends have booked to travel London to SHM, leaving at lunchtime on 4
> August and returning on 7 August. They have reserved seats for the outward
> legs, but not the return.
>
> Aslef are banning overtime from Monday 31 July to Saturday 5 August. No
> word yet from RMT, but they don't tend to overlap.
>
> Our friends are getting a bit anxious. Are there any words of comfort I
> can give them?
>

>Tell them to check the realtime trains website in the days before they
>travel, and warn them they may need to change journey times at short
>notice. Avoid travelling home late in the day.

Agree - would add that if the Norwich runs but the branch doesn't, Sanders
Coaches operate a service to the north coast

From memory you may need to change Cromer. Can try and find the details if
that would help?

James

Re: No Overtime Days

<u96nis$1ohmr$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62305&group=uk.railway#62305

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 20:01:49 +0100
 by: GB - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 19:01 UTC

On 18/07/2023 19:55, James Heaton wrote:
> "Bevan Price"  wrote in message news:u969kp$1maet$1@dont-email.me...
>
> On 18/07/2023 13:28, GB wrote:
>> Friends have booked to travel London to SHM, leaving at lunchtime on 4
>> August and returning on 7 August. They have reserved seats for the
>> outward legs, but not the return.
>>
>> Aslef are banning overtime  from Monday 31 July to Saturday 5 August.
>> No word yet from RMT, but they don't tend to overlap.
>>
>> Our friends are getting a bit anxious. Are there any words of comfort
>> I can give them?
>>

>> Tell them to check the realtime trains website in the days before they
>> travel, and warn them they may need to change journey times at short
>> notice. Avoid travelling home late in the day.
>
> Agree - would add that if the Norwich runs but the branch doesn't,
> Sanders Coaches operate a service to the north coast
>
> From memory you may need to change Cromer.  Can try and find the
> details if that would help?

Thanks, but they'll either take a taxi, or I'll pick them up.

> James

Re: No Overtime Days

<670qbilhe90c0rovnf5p5pllrd99210rt7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62497&group=uk.railway#62497

From: ken...@birchanger.com (Ken)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 11:32:52 +0100
 by: Ken - Sun, 23 Jul 2023 10:32 UTC

On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 13:28:01 +0100, GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid>
wrote:

>Friends have booked to travel London to SHM, leaving at lunchtime on 4
>August and returning on 7 August. They have reserved seats for the
>outward legs, but not the return.
>
>Aslef are banning overtime from Monday 31 July to Saturday 5 August. No
>word yet from RMT, but they don't tend to overlap.
>
>Our friends are getting a bit anxious. Are there any words of comfort I
>can give them?

One tiny word of comfort. I've been on a Rover this week during an
Aslef overtime ban. I've seen the odd cancellation but only one that
affected me and that was easily planned around. RTT is, as ever, your
friend.

The other thing is that GWR's site allows you to reserve seats without
having bought from them. You don't even provide any evidence of having
a ticket at all. It might be worth you taking a look.

Re: No Overtime Days

<u9jp7k$aegm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62513&group=uk.railway#62513

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 18:49:42 +0100
 by: MB - Sun, 23 Jul 2023 17:49 UTC

On 18/07/2023 13:28, GB wrote:
> Friends have booked to travel London to SHM, leaving at lunchtime on 4
> August and returning on 7 August. They have reserved seats for the
> outward legs, but not the return.
>
> Aslef are banning overtime from Monday 31 July to Saturday 5 August. No
> word yet from RMT, but they don't tend to overlap.
>
> Our friends are getting a bit anxious. Are there any words of comfort I
> can give them?

Tell them to hire a car, more reliable and probably cheaper.