Will stain.

aus+uk / uk.comp.os.linux / Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPS

SubjectAuthor
* Slightly OTT : Riello UPSMartin Gregorie
+- Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPSVincent Coen
+- Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPSVincent Coen
`* Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPSTheo
 `* Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPSMartin Gregorie
  +* Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPSJan Panteltje
  |`* Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPSMartin Gregorie
  | `* Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPSJan Panteltje
  |  `* Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPSTheo
  |   `* Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPSMartin Gregorie
  |    `* Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPSMartin Gregorie
  |     `* Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPSMartin Gregorie
  |      `- Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPSChris Elvidge
  `* Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPSVincent Coen
   +* Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPSMartin Gregorie
   |+* Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPSAndy Burns
   ||`- Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPSAdrian Caspersz
   |`- Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPSVincent Coen
   `- Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPSAndy Burns

1
Slightly OTT : Riello UPS

<suon6t$jtt$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=624&group=uk.comp.os.linux#624

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi, uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Slightly OTT : Riello UPS
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 18:06:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 18:06 UTC

Hopefully, some of you are using Riello UPS and, even more hopefully, a
few will be using the small Riello Sentinel Pro 700

I've had one since September 2014 and am v. pleased with it. However, it
decided that its batteries had died a couple of weeks ago, so I ordered
some replacements from the dealer I got the UPS from (VPS, who I've been
buying Yuasa batteries from for many years).

Batteries turned up OK, but then I discovered that the Riello manual says
nothing about replacing the batteries. When run, they said that was
deliberate because safety for numpties who try to swap batteries while
the UPS is still running,and remained very close-lipped whe pressed for
more details. I eventually got more info from them, but still can't get
into the blasted UPS, which at that point had been off for over an hour
to led caps discharge, etc. I removed the likely screws, but was defeated
by some along each side of the botton which don'tmatch any screwdriver I
own.

So, has anybody successfully replaced the batteries in one of these Riello
UPS? If so, can you describe how you did it? Almost anything would help,
including just knowing what sort of screwdriver is needed for the black
screws along the sides at the bottom of the cover black metal cover.

Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPS

<1645210417@f1.n250.z2.fidonet.ftn>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=625&group=uk.comp.os.linux#625

From: VBC...@gmail.com (Vincent Coen)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPS
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 18:53:37 +0000
Sender: "Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com>
 by: Vincent Coen - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 18:53 UTC

Hello Martin!

Friday February 18 2022 18:06, Martin Gregorie wrote to All:

> Hopefully, some of you are using Riello UPS and, even more hopefully,
> a few will be using the small Riello Sentinel Pro 700

> I've had one since September 2014 and am v. pleased with it. However,
> it decided that its batteries had died a couple of weeks ago, so I
> ordered some replacements from the dealer I got the UPS from (VPS, who
> I've been buying Yuasa batteries from for many years).

> Batteries turned up OK, but then I discovered that the Riello manual
> says nothing about replacing the batteries. When run, they said that
> was deliberate because safety for numpties who try to swap batteries
> while the UPS is still running,and remained very close-lipped whe
> pressed for more details. I eventually got more info from them, but
> still can't get into the blasted UPS, which at that point had been off
> for over an hour to led caps discharge, etc. I removed the likely
> screws, but was defeated by some along each side of the botton which
> don'tmatch any screwdriver I own.

> So, has anybody successfully replaced the batteries in one of these
> Riello UPS? If so, can you describe how you did it? Almost anything
> would help, including just knowing what sort of screwdriver is needed
> for the black screws along the sides at the bottom of the cover black
> metal cover.

Without knowing this brand but do know APC try this :

1. Disconnect the UPS from mains and equipment under load/s.
2. Raise unit off floor at first the front say on a block of wood (4x2
etc).
3. Check from panel and see if the bottom edge is in-dented in any way and
if so lift up from the centre - APC lifts up - but be careful as it panel
is connected by cable from display board or panel inside unit continue to
raise and fold over the top you should now see the battery connectors and
battery.

No ?

Place wood to the rear and check for screws, tab, clips etc that will
release the back panel and soo if 3 will work.

If you get into the unit - remove connector cables one at a time
leaving any metal element away from the case and any component.
Once done carefully slide battery pack out (on APC there is a wide strip of
heavy duty DUCK type tape stick to the underside of the battery pack so you
can pull it out using it.

Before installing the new one make up similar with DUCK tape using the same
orientation of the battery as the original.
Push in again so it is in the same orientation with the RED terminal on
the same side of the unit, push in enough that you can now connected the
terminals to the battery but MAKE SURE that RED go to RED and BLACK to
BLACK - these colours might be different such as BROWN for RED (i.e., as
according to UK cable colour coding - but as it is from Italy don't bank on
it :).

Hope the above helps - I have changed a few of them over the years on 1000
- 3000 Kva - Note the bigger one's have multi packs of batteries link from
the front to the next inline - again make sure you connect the same way as
the originals - Take a photo of the battery pack still connected to the
cables so you can refer to it if needed.

Biggest pain is lifting the unit up on to a wood block to access the bottom
edge's.

Yes I did take a look at the manual - which is not helpful but my battery
supplier in Enfield supplies a neat little instruction sheet for each brand
of UPS they cover by brand and model if needed and the APC brand even
include a CD for the s/w fireware updating but there again it is easy to
get online. This is mostly for updating the dates held in the unit
firmware along with any parameters you might want to change.

No so sure your one does all that !

Vincent

Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPS

<1645212615@f1.n250.z2.fidonet.ftn>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=626&group=uk.comp.os.linux#626

From: VBC...@gmail.com (Vincent Coen)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 19:30:15 +0000
Sender: "Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com>
 by: Vincent Coen - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 19:30 UTC

Hello Martin!

Friday February 18 2022 18:06, Martin Gregorie wrote to All:

> Hopefully, some of you are using Riello UPS and, even more hopefully,
> a few will be using the small Riello Sentinel Pro 700

> I've had one since September 2014 and am v. pleased with it. However,
> it decided that its batteries had died a couple of weeks ago, so I
> ordered some replacements from the dealer I got the UPS from (VPS, who
> I've been buying Yuasa batteries from for many years).

> Batteries turned up OK, but then I discovered that the Riello manual
> says nothing about replacing the batteries. When run, they said that
> was deliberate because safety for numpties who try to swap batteries
> while the UPS is still running,and remained very close-lipped whe
> pressed for more details. I eventually got more info from them, but
> still can't get into the blasted UPS, which at that point had been off
> for over an hour to led caps discharge, etc. I removed the likely
> screws, but was defeated by some along each side of the botton which
> don'tmatch any screwdriver I own.

> So, has anybody successfully replaced the batteries in one of these
> Riello UPS? If so, can you describe how you did it? Almost anything
> would help, including just knowing what sort of screwdriver is needed
> for the black screws along the sides at the bottom of the cover black
> metal cover.

Forgot to mention under the front panel is often a metal panel held in
place by two large screws so you will need a medium philips type screw
driver and behind that is the battery these screws may not come out all the
way as might have a washer to prevent it - just open until the panel is
released and that then can come out but it more than likely has a mounted
pair of hinge plates at the bottom which you have to release - hence the
reason for placing some 4 x 2 block of wood under the UPS first.

Vincent

Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPS

<gRd*DIaHy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=627&group=uk.comp.os.linux#627

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 18 Feb 2022 22:49:26 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 22:49 UTC

In comp.sys.raspberry-pi Martin Gregorie <martin@mydomain.invalid> wrote:
> So, has anybody successfully replaced the batteries in one of these Riello
> UPS? If so, can you describe how you did it? Almost anything would help,
> including just knowing what sort of screwdriver is needed for the black
> screws along the sides at the bottom of the cover black metal cover.

Post a picture?

Theo

Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPS

<suqp2t$r1q$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=628&group=uk.comp.os.linux#628

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 12:50:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Sat, 19 Feb 2022 12:50 UTC

On Fri, 18 Feb 2022 22:49:26 +0000, Theo wrote:

> In comp.sys.raspberry-pi Martin Gregorie <martin@mydomain.invalid>
> wrote:
>> So, has anybody successfully replaced the batteries in one of these
>> Riello UPS? If so, can you describe how you did it? Almost anything
>> would help, including just knowing what sort of screwdriver is needed
>> for the black screws along the sides at the bottom of the cover black
>> metal cover.
>
> Post a picture?

Posted.

https://www.libelle-systems.com/free/comment/riello_ups/

... and scroll down a bit: thje top two pics are mainly for the benefit of
Tristan because I thought he might like to see what the small Riello UPS
and its connections look like.

Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPS

<suqsc1$9lu$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=629&group=uk.comp.os.linux#629

From: pNaonStp...@yahoo.com (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 13:45:55 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.com/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Sat, 19 Feb 2022 13:45 UTC

On a sunny day (Sat, 19 Feb 2022 12:50:37 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Martin
Gregorie <martin@mydomain.invalid> wrote in <suqp2t$r1q$2@dont-email.me>:

>On Fri, 18 Feb 2022 22:49:26 +0000, Theo wrote:
>
>> In comp.sys.raspberry-pi Martin Gregorie <martin@mydomain.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>> So, has anybody successfully replaced the batteries in one of these
>>> Riello UPS? If so, can you describe how you did it? Almost anything
>>> would help, including just knowing what sort of screwdriver is needed
>>> for the black screws along the sides at the bottom of the cover black
>>> metal cover.
>>
>> Post a picture?
>>
>Posted.
>
>https://www.libelle-systems.com/free/comment/riello_ups/
>
>.. and scroll down a bit: thje top two pics are mainly for the benefit of
>Tristan because I thought he might like to see what the small Riello UPS
>and its connections look like.

The onses you cannot unscrew, type:
9610-CRV
in google
Most hardware stores have those I have a set like that:
https://www.kmart.com/gowa-8pcs-set-torx-crv-key-star-wrench-screwdriver/p-A082505114

Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPS

<sur09m$r1q$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=630&group=uk.comp.os.linux#630

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 14:53:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Sat, 19 Feb 2022 14:53 UTC

On Sat, 19 Feb 2022 13:45:55 +0000, Jan Panteltje wrote:

> The onses you cannot unscrew, type:
> 9610-CRV
> in google Most hardware stores have those I have a set like that:
> https://www.kmart.com/gowa-8pcs-set-torx-crv-key-star-wrench-
screwdriver/p-A082505114

Over here most of the TORX sets give sizes in Tnn numbers. Do you know
what Tnn size 9610-CRV would match?

I've looked at what's available locally and notice that most sets don't
have anything with a lower code than T08 or T09,

According to my Moore & Wright calipers, the distance between opposite
'star vertices' on the Riello screws is 2.26mm, so would that be a T8 TORX
key?

Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPS

<sur2gm$8j8$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=631&group=uk.comp.os.linux#631

From: pNaonStp...@yahoo.com (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 15:30:47 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.com/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Sat, 19 Feb 2022 15:30 UTC

On a sunny day (Sat, 19 Feb 2022 14:53:42 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Martin
Gregorie <martin@mydomain.invalid> wrote in <sur09m$r1q$3@dont-email.me>:

>On Sat, 19 Feb 2022 13:45:55 +0000, Jan Panteltje wrote:
>
>> The onses you cannot unscrew, type:
>> 9610-CRV
>> in google Most hardware stores have those I have a set like that:
>> https://www.kmart.com/gowa-8pcs-set-torx-crv-key-star-wrench-
>screwdriver/p-A082505114
>
>Over here most of the TORX sets give sizes in Tnn numbers. Do you know
>what Tnn size 9610-CRV would match?
>
>I've looked at what's available locally and notice that most sets don't
>have anything with a lower code than T08 or T09,
>
>According to my Moore & Wright calipers, the distance between opposite
>'star vertices' on the Riello screws is 2.26mm, so would that be a T8 TORX
>key?

When I measure the T8 I get about 2.26 mm, but the tips are a bit conical shaped.

But google is your friend:
https://www.wihatools.com/torx-sizes

That should make it T8 if you measured it right?

On the set I have, the lowest is T5 and the highest is T20
Very useful set, see that sort of screws more and more.
I ordered mine online from a big local store, was here next day.

Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPS

<1645302053@f1.n250.z2.fidonet.ftn>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=632&group=uk.comp.os.linux#632

From: VBC...@gmail.com (Vincent Coen)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 20:20:53 +0000
Sender: "Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com>
 by: Vincent Coen - Sat, 19 Feb 2022 20:20 UTC

<gRd*DIaHy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> <suqp2t$r1q$2@dont-email.me>
Hello Martin!

Saturday February 19 2022 12:50, Martin Gregorie wrote to All:

> On Fri, 18 Feb 2022 22:49:26 +0000, Theo wrote:

>> In comp.sys.raspberry-pi Martin Gregorie <martin@mydomain.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>> So, has anybody successfully replaced the batteries in one of these
>>> Riello UPS? If so, can you describe how you did it? Almost anything
>>> would help, including just knowing what sort of screwdriver is
>>> needed for the black screws along the sides at the bottom of the
>>> cover black metal cover.
>>
>> Post a picture?
>>
> Posted.

> https://www.libelle-systems.com/free/comment/riello_ups/

> ... and scroll down a bit: thje top two pics are mainly for the
> benefit of Tristan because I thought he might like to see what the
> small Riello UPS and its connections look like.

Do not use the wrong screw driver but get a set of torx heads - you will
damage the heads and not be able to reuse them. These sets are peanuts say
on Ebay or even Amazon.

As you are not near by (Hatfield) I can not offer a set to you.

I was interested to see that it uses Alarm panel type batteries - now that
is a first. They are not designed for high output in any way just for
circuit board and bell etc and they are good (normally) for 5 - 7 years
subject to usage. Note that alarm systems use very low power for the
panel, board and the alarm sounder/bell which has its own battery of 7Ah or
higher as the wallet can cope with. 7 is good for well over 20 minutes
which in the UK is the maximum a bell can sound for before a reset.

There again I have never bought a 700va UPS as my systems would not last
but only 10-15 minutes at a guess, and I like at least one hour, just in
case I am out.

Mine are marked as GP 1212F2 - 12V 12 Ah and very heavy, you can see it at:

http://www.applewoodbbs.linkpc.net/files/UPS-Battery/

Let me know once seen etc so I can delete them.

Vincent

Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPS

<Bin*GPfHy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=633&group=uk.comp.os.linux#633

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 19 Feb 2022 22:04:51 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Sat, 19 Feb 2022 22:04 UTC

In uk.comp.os.linux Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:
> That should make it T8 if you measured it right?
>
> On the set I have, the lowest is T5 and the highest is T20
> Very useful set, see that sort of screws more and more.
> I ordered mine online from a big local store, was here next day.

It is worth buying a set that includes Torxes rather than just the one,
because there may well be other sizes inside.

A set like this is relatively inexpensive and handy to have around:
https://www.toolstation.com/draper-security-bit-set/p52910

For the smaller sizes I have this set:
https://store.ifixit.co.uk/products/mako-driver-kit-64-precision-bits
- not the cheapest (it was $30 in the US), but very useful when you need it.

Theo

Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPS

<sus4je$ifg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=634&group=uk.comp.os.linux#634

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 01:13:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 01:13 UTC

On Sat, 19 Feb 2022 22:04:51 +0000, Theo wrote:

> In uk.comp.os.linux Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> That should make it T8 if you measured it right?
>>
>> On the set I have, the lowest is T5 and the highest is T20 Very useful
>> set, see that sort of screws more and more.
>> I ordered mine online from a big local store, was here next day.
>
> It is worth buying a set that includes Torxes rather than just the one,
> because there may well be other sizes inside.
>
> A set like this is relatively inexpensive and handy to have around:
> https://www.toolstation.com/draper-security-bit-set/p52910
>
> For the smaller sizes I have this set:
> https://store.ifixit.co.uk/products/mako-driver-kit-64-precision-bits -
> not the cheapest (it was $30 in the US), but very useful when you need
> it.

Noted with thanks - chickened out doing anything today (Saturday) because
weather, and helping troubleshoot pages in a Microsoft-based website.
Give me Apache any day. But did manage to research TORX wrench sources. I
was quite surprised how few TORX tool sets don't go below T9.

Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPS

<sus5j9$ifg$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=635&group=uk.comp.os.linux#635

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 01:30:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 01:30 UTC

On Sat, 19 Feb 2022 20:20:53 +0000, Vincent Coen wrote:

> Mine are marked as GP 1212F2 - 12V 12 Ah and very heavy, you can see it
> at:
>

> http://www.applewoodbbs.linkpc.net/files/UPS-Battery/
>
> Let me know once seen etc so I can delete them.

I've never seen that brand before.

I've been using Yuasa for over 30 years - starters for gloplug engines,
powering instrument panels in gliders, so naturally I was pleased to see
that Riello, or rather VPS, who supplied the replacements, like Yuasa
too.

Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPS

<j7ee9qFtru6U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=636&group=uk.comp.os.linux#636

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 09:00:39 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 09:00 UTC

Martin Gregorie wrote:

> I've never seen that brand before.

Every APC UPS I've seen has been fitted with CSB brand from the factory.

I've used Yuasa in the past, but now tend to use Tayna, mine takes 4 of these
(cheaper to buy in pairs, use double-sided-tape and swap the fuses and anderson
connector over)

<https://www.tayna.co.uk/ups-batteries/powerline/pu220/>

Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPS

<j7euebF2djhU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=639&group=uk.comp.os.linux#639

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 13:36:09 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 13:36 UTC

Vincent Coen wrote:

> I was interested to see that it uses Alarm panel type batteries - now that
> is a first. They are not designed for high output in any way just for
> circuit board and bell etc

Here is a battery I had to fight to remove from a UPS

<http://adslpipe.co.uk/photos/APC_UPS_battery.jpg>

As you say, some (like this N7-12) are better suited for alarm panels, rather
than UPSes (such as NP7-12)

Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPS

<1645367142@f1.n250.z2.fidonet.ftn>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=640&group=uk.comp.os.linux#640

From: VBC...@gmail.com (Vincent Coen)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 14:25:42 +0000
Sender: "Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com>
 by: Vincent Coen - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 14:25 UTC

Hello Martin!

Sunday February 20 2022 01:30, Martin Gregorie wrote to All:

> <1645302053@f1.n250.z2.fidonet.ftn>
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2022 20:20:53 +0000, Vincent Coen wrote:

>> Mine are marked as GP 1212F2 - 12V 12 Ah and very heavy, you can see
>> it
>> at:
>>

>> http://www.applewoodbbs.linkpc.net/files/UPS-Battery/
>>
>> Let me know once seen etc so I can delete them.
>>

> I've never seen that brand before.

> I've been using Yuasa for over 30 years - starters for gloplug
> engines, powering instrument panels in gliders, so naturally I was
> pleased to see that Riello, or rather VPS, who supplied the
> replacements, like Yuasa too.

The brand is not so important - it's the type of battery and clearly for
the higher capacity UPS's i.e., above 700Va.

The 500 - 750 sizes are light units in both size and weight hence usage of
Alarm type batteries which are a lower duty cycle , i.e., 7ah while 1000Va
start at 12Vh and go up including using batteries of 48 volts as against 24
and they ARE heavy.

It is all down to how much time you want the UPS to support your computer
systems. I like around 1 to 1.5 hours and using a modular PSU with 80+%
efficiency helps that and of course minimising the number of HDD's running
also helps where SSD's are very light usage (I think) - covering back side
here :)

Using SSD's for Linux / *nix platforms is another story as you must obtain
one's with good built in controllers and Crucial is NOT one of them based
on my experience but ok for a windows based system.
I stick to Samsung 850,950,960 etc and M.2 type if possible for max write
speeds but must admit most of mine are Sata 3's except on the media
computer (records TV programs etc) but the programs are stored on a HDD.

Vincent

Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPS

<sv521k$5j7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=646&group=uk.comp.os.linux#646

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 10:24:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 10:24 UTC

On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 01:13:18 +0000, Martin Gregorie wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Feb 2022 22:04:51 +0000, Theo wrote:
>
>> In uk.comp.os.linux Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> That should make it T8 if you measured it right?
>>>
>>> On the set I have, the lowest is T5 and the highest is T20 Very useful
>>> set, see that sort of screws more and more.
>>> I ordered mine online from a big local store, was here next day.
>>
>> It is worth buying a set that includes Torxes rather than just the one,
>> because there may well be other sizes inside.
>>
>> A set like this is relatively inexpensive and handy to have around:
>> https://www.toolstation.com/draper-security-bit-set/p52910
>>
>> For the smaller sizes I have this set:
>> https://store.ifixit.co.uk/products/mako-driver-kit-64-precision-bits -
>> not the cheapest (it was $30 in the US), but very useful when you need
>> it.
>>
> Noted with thanks - chickened out doing anything today (Saturday)
> because weather, and helping troubleshoot pages in a Microsoft-based
> website. Give me Apache any day. But did manage to research TORX wrench
> sources. I was quite surprised how few TORX tool sets don't go below T9.

Today I fought clear of building my gliding club's duty rosters (an all-
week job) for long enough to hit my local B&Q for a TORX key set. Just
tried it on the Riello UPS: T8 fits the case retention screws as
expected. Will get into UPS battery replacement as time permits: no rush
as currently my house server is up and running directly from the mains.

Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPS

<j7qbdvF8q4oU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=650&group=uk.comp.os.linux#650

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 21:25:18 +0000
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 21:25 UTC

On 20/02/2022 09:00, Andy Burns wrote:
> Martin Gregorie wrote:
>
>> I've never seen that brand before.
>
> Every APC UPS I've seen has been fitted with CSB brand from the factory.
>
> I've used Yuasa in the past, but now tend to use Tayna, mine takes 4 of
> these (cheaper to buy in pairs, use double-sided-tape and swap the fuses
> and anderson connector over)
>
> <https://www.tayna.co.uk/ups-batteries/powerline/pu220/>

This memorable blog entry was posted in 2009, an interesting read on
someone replacing their APC UPS batteries, and wondering about the floor

Terry's Random Ramblings
https://www.glaver.org/blog/?p=12

It's one of those technical blogs that I read some time ago, enjoyed and
hoped it was still around. It is :)

--
Adrian C

Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPS

<svirhd$17o$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=651&group=uk.comp.os.linux#651

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 15:59:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 15:59 UTC

On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 10:24:52 +0000, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> Today I fought clear of building my gliding club's duty rosters (an all-
> week job) for long enough to hit my local B&Q for a TORX key set. Just
> tried it on the Riello UPS: T8 fits the case retention screws as
> expected. Will get into UPS battery replacement as time permits: no
> rush as currently my house server is up and running directly from the
> mains.

Following up: yesterday I opened the Riello's case: the TORX T8 tool did
the job easily. The internals are neatly laid out with a lengthways metal
partition, batteries on one side and a PCB on the other. Slightly to my
surprise thare are no large transformers or particularly large capacitors
inside.

The old batteries came out easily enough, and show sign of bulging, case
deformation, or leakage.

The replacements went in equally easily.

I've run it very briefly with no obvious problems shown.

Further use awaits the purchase of more cabling since I've decided to
rearrange the wiring and position of stuff under my computer bench: while
doing that I found I need a manins-'extension, a double ended IEC cable
with C13 and C14 connectors.

Re: Slightly OTT : Riello UPS

<svisr7$fro$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=652&group=uk.comp.os.linux#652

From: chr...@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 16:21:58 +0000
 by: Chris Elvidge - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 16:21 UTC

On 28/02/2022 15:59, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 10:24:52 +0000, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>> Today I fought clear of building my gliding club's duty rosters (an all-
>> week job) for long enough to hit my local B&Q for a TORX key set. Just
>> tried it on the Riello UPS: T8 fits the case retention screws as
>> expected. Will get into UPS battery replacement as time permits: no
>> rush as currently my house server is up and running directly from the
>> mains.
>
> Following up: yesterday I opened the Riello's case: the TORX T8 tool did
> the job easily. The internals are neatly laid out with a lengthways metal
> partition, batteries on one side and a PCB on the other. Slightly to my
> surprise thare are no large transformers or particularly large capacitors
> inside.
>
> The old batteries came out easily enough, and show sign of bulging, case
> deformation, or leakage.
>
> The replacements went in equally easily.
>
> I've run it very briefly with no obvious problems shown.
>
> Further use awaits the purchase of more cabling since I've decided to
> rearrange the wiring and position of stuff under my computer bench: while
> doing that I found I need a manins-'extension, a double ended IEC cable
> with C13 and C14 connectors.

When I renewed the batteries in my old APC UPSs, I had to run the test
program to update the run-time variable.

--
Chris Elvidge
England