From: clan...@googlemail.com (Clank)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: [OT] Speaking of powered stub axles - New Tram for Bucuresti...
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 16:20:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Clank - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 16:20 UTC

Since I've been travelling a lot the last couple of months I've not been
keeping you up to date with the exciting developments in the east of our great
continent, which I know will have left many heartbroken - but I'm delighted to
make up for it with some snaps of our new Astra Imperio trams that have
started appearing in Bucuresti, after my first ride on one this afternoon:

<https://imgur.com/a/OlHP6FA>

They're actually rather nice. Made in the local (well, western Romanian)
carriageworks Astra in Arad, they seem well put together, ride well on our
terrible track, and most important of all - the air conditioning works. With
my outdoor thermometer currently reading 41C, this is important.

Technicallly they're quite interesting; 4 segments/3 articulations, none of
the articulations are supported by bogies (sorry, no Jacobs' bogies here) -
each segment has one bogie, with the front and rear bogies in a set powered.

The trams are 100% low-floor throughout, with passenger seating above both the
powered and unpowered bogies. To achieve this, the motor bogies are powered
stub axles; each bogie still has two motors for four wheels, but the motors
are arranged longitudinally such that each motor drives the wheel in front and
behind; they are provided by Siemens Mobility and if not identical are clearly
related to their SF30C (based on eyeballing alone):

<https://assets.new.siemens.com/siemens/assets/api/uuid:b1b1af45-8dfe-4888-a297-73b1b3e914da/mors-b10024-00-datasheet-bogies-sf30c-deenus-144_original.pdf>

One other notable feature is it's the first time I can recall a STB
(Societatea de Transport Bucuresti, nee RATB) vehicle having a custom
moquette... Or indeed a cushion of any description, for that matter.

Re: [OT] Speaking of powered stub axles - New Tram for Bucuresti...

<ualtoh$1q8fe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=63163&group=uk.railway#63163

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 17:35:29 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 16:35 UTC

On 05/08/2023 17:20, Clank wrote:
> Since I've been travelling a lot the last couple of months I've not been
> keeping you up to date with the exciting developments in the east of our great
> continent, which I know will have left many heartbroken - but I'm delighted to
> make up for it with some snaps of our new Astra Imperio trams that have
> started appearing in Bucuresti, after my first ride on one this afternoon:
>
> <https://imgur.com/a/OlHP6FA>

I got a warning that the post may contain erotic imagery! Well, if trams
turn you on…

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: [OT] Speaking of powered stub axles - New Tram for Bucuresti...

<uam1oo$1qs96$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=63169&group=uk.railway#63169

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 17:43:53 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:D6a9k4qYbYjmhQcj5kBwspdrGe4=
 by: Sam Wilson - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 17:43 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 05/08/2023 17:20, Clank wrote:
>> Since I've been travelling a lot the last couple of months I've not been
>> keeping you up to date with the exciting developments in the east of our great
>> continent, which I know will have left many heartbroken - but I'm delighted to
>> make up for it with some snaps of our new Astra Imperio trams that have
>> started appearing in Bucuresti, after my first ride on one this afternoon:
>>
>> <https://imgur.com/a/OlHP6FA>
>
> I got a warning that the post may contain erotic imagery! Well, if trams
> turn you on…

So was I. I was severely disappointed, I tell you.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: [OT] Speaking of powered stub axles - New Tram for Bucuresti...