If we don't survive, we don't do anything else. -- John Sinclair

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / 5G?can't get fibre optics here

SubjectAuthor
* 5G?can't get fibre optics hereTone
+* 5G?can't get fibre optics hereTease'n'Seize
|+* 5G?Tone
||`* 5G?Mr Guest
|| `- 5G?Tone
|`* 5G?can't get fibre optics hereBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
| `- 5G?can't get fibre optics hereTease'n'Seize
+* 5G?can't get fibre optics hereNick Odell
|`- 5G?can't get fibre optics hereTim+
+* 5G?can't get fibre optics hereSam Plusnet
|+- 5G?Tone
|`- 5G?can't get fibre optics hereAhem A Rivet's Shot
`* 5G?can't get fibre optics hereChris Elvidge
 `* 5G?can't get fibre optics hereTone
  `* 5G?can't get fibre optics hereChris Elvidge
   `- 5G?can't get fibre optics hereTone

1
5G?can't get fibre optics here

<spbi8s$57m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6331&group=uk.rec.sheds#6331

From: ema...@address.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: 5G?can't get fibre optics here
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 02:01:04 +0000
 by: Tone - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 02:01 UTC

Plusnet are about to up my monthly fee by about £10ppm after a fixed
tariff contract expires.

I can't get fibre optics here. Open reach have buried the cables two
years go, but BT are reluctant to put in the box.

Now 5G are offering 100 Mbps at £30p/m, which is about what I have been
paying Plusnet, for a very iffy much less efficient service in this
location.

What do assembled sheddi advise bearing in mind I both upload and
download a hell of a lot of music.

cheers

Tone

Re: 5G?can't get fibre optics here

<-46dnTuI5N8FMiT8nZ2dnUU78ImdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6332&group=uk.rec.sheds#6332

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 09:04:23 +0000
Subject: Re: 5G?can't get fibre optics here
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 09:04 UTC

Tone wrote:

> I can't get fibre optics here.

Even if you could, plusnet couldn't use it (they've been saying "soon" for a
long long time).

Re: 5G?

<spch1j$u7j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6333&group=uk.rec.sheds#6333

From: ema...@address.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: 5G?
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 10:46:15 +0000
 by: Tone - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 10:46 UTC

On 15/12/2021 09:04, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
> Tone wrote:
>
>> I can't get fibre optics here.
>
> Even if you could, plusnet couldn't use it (they've been saying "soon"
> for a long long time).

I had FO with Plusnet at my last address.

Tone

Re: 5G?can't get fibre optics here

<spchad$1mu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6335&group=uk.rec.sheds#6335

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 10:50:50 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 10:50 UTC

I thought plusnet were now part of bt.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tease'n'Seize" <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote in message
> Tone wrote:
>
>> I can't get fibre optics here.
>
> Even if you could, plusnet couldn't use it (they've been saying "soon" for
> a long long time).

Re: 5G?can't get fibre optics here

<CuKdnSO3EvX7eiT8nZ2dnUU78Y2dnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6339&group=uk.rec.sheds#6339

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 13:02:28 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 13:02 UTC

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

> I thought plusnet were now part of bt.

They are (have been for many years) but they only do ADSL or VDSL, no GPON.

Re: 5G?can't get fibre optics here

<a0ujrgt8jf6qbh6tjc16m08685g56qfrcn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6341&group=uk.rec.sheds#6341

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 14:28:46 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 14:28 UTC

On Wed, 15 Dec 2021 02:01:04 +0000, Tone <email@address.com> wrote:

>Plusnet are about to up my monthly fee by about £10ppm after a fixed
>tariff contract expires.
>
>I can't get fibre optics here. Open reach have buried the cables two
>years go, but BT are reluctant to put in the box.
>
>Now 5G are offering 100 Mbps at £30p/m, which is about what I have been
>paying Plusnet, for a very iffy much less efficient service in this
>location.
>
>What do assembled sheddi advise bearing in mind I both upload and
>download a hell of a lot of music.
>
>cheers

Whoever you are with, probably best not to say what you use it for or
they might insist you take out a business contract. Not being paid for
what you do is unlikely to cut much ice with them. Am I right in
thinking that you don't broadcast live from home but upload programmes
to the station for later release? In which case slow upload/download
times are a nuisance but not terminal.

One of the advantages of Plusnet is that the first language of their
support team is Yorkshire, not Gujarati and I'm told that a quiet chat
in which you express an interest in the services offered by other
companies may often end up with the offer of a new special deal.

FWIW I've never subscribed to any super low-cost packages and just
continue to bumble along with Plusnet, free to leave at any time
without penalty and paying a reasonable thirty-something quid without
the hassle of having to watch out every time a contract comes to an
end. Likewise my electrickery. I've never swapped supplier or product
and have bumbled along on the never-that-expensive SVT and now find my
SVT offers a better price than most other people's locked in tariff.

Nick

Re: 5G?can't get fibre optics here

<1599438880.661277584.227781.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6342&group=uk.rec.sheds#6342

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 15 Dec 2021 16:17:24 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 16:17 UTC

Nick Odell <nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2021 02:01:04 +0000, Tone <email@address.com> wrote:
>
>> Plusnet are about to up my monthly fee by about £10ppm after a fixed
>> tariff contract expires.
>>
>> I can't get fibre optics here. Open reach have buried the cables two
>> years go, but BT are reluctant to put in the box.
>>
>> Now 5G are offering 100 Mbps at £30p/m, which is about what I have been
>> paying Plusnet, for a very iffy much less efficient service in this
>> location.
>>
>> What do assembled sheddi advise bearing in mind I both upload and
>> download a hell of a lot of music.
>>
>> cheers
>>
> Whoever you are with, probably best not to say what you use it for or
> they might insist you take out a business contract. Not being paid for
> what you do is unlikely to cut much ice with them. Am I right in
> thinking that you don't broadcast live from home but upload programmes
> to the station for later release? In which case slow upload/download
> times are a nuisance but not terminal.
>
> One of the advantages of Plusnet is that the first language of their
> support team is Yorkshire, not Gujarati and I'm told that a quiet chat
> in which you express an interest in the services offered by other
> companies may often end up with the offer of a new special deal.
>
> FWIW I've never subscribed to any super low-cost packages and just
> continue to bumble along with Plusnet, free to leave at any time
> without penalty and paying a reasonable thirty-something quid without
> the hassle of having to watch out every time a contract comes to an
> end. Likewise my electrickery. I've never swapped supplier or product
> and have bumbled along on the never-that-expensive SVT and now find my
> SVT offers a better price than most other people's locked in tariff.
>
> Nick

I used to be with Plusnet but noticed a marked fall off in the quality of
their support. Went with Virgin cable for a while but after the first year
it became ridiculously expensive. Now back on FTTC with Zen with a £29,
40Mb deal with a “no price increase” guarantee. Could have 80 Mb for £32
but the one thing I learnt from Virgin is that there’s no point paying for
superfluous speed.

Zen customer support is great.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: 5G?can't get fibre optics here

<aLtuJ.426682$xalc.73214@fx12.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6344&group=uk.rec.sheds#6344

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 22:12:20 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 22:12 UTC

On 15-Dec-21 2:01, Tone wrote:
> Plusnet are about to up my monthly fee by about £10ppm after a fixed
> tariff contract expires.
>
> I can't get fibre optics here. Open reach have buried the cables two
> years go, but BT are reluctant to put in the box.
>
> Now 5G are offering 100 Mbps at £30p/m, which is about what I have been
> paying Plusnet, for a very iffy much less efficient service in this
> location.
>
> What do assembled sheddi advise bearing in mind I both upload and
> download a hell of a lot of music.

1. Who is/are "5G"? Most networks are offering 5G services now, but I
haven't found a company called 5G.

2. Is there a monthly limit on bandwidth with that offering?

3. The 100Mbps figure is probably marketing garbage - unless you have
one of their masts in your bathroom.

Can you get a PAYG sim from them, & try it out to see if you get what
you want/need from them in terms of reliability and performance - before
cutting the cord?

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: 5G?can't get fibre optics here

<spdvgq$bq3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6345&group=uk.rec.sheds#6345

From: chr...@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 23:59:04 +0000
 by: Chris Elvidge - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 23:59 UTC

On 15/12/2021 02:01, Tone wrote:
> Plusnet are about to up my monthly fee by about £10ppm after a fixed
> tariff contract expires.
>
> I can't get fibre optics here. Open reach have buried the cables two
> years go, but BT are reluctant to put in the box.
>
> Now 5G are offering 100 Mbps at £30p/m, which is about what I have been
> paying Plusnet, for a very iffy much less efficient service in this
> location.
>
> What do assembled sheddi advise bearing in mind I both upload and
> download a hell of a lot of music.
>
> cheers
>
> Tone

I have no wire connection. I use a 3 SIM in my 'phone and run the
hotspot (8 connections) constantly. £20pcm unlimited data, calls, texts.
I think you can get it cheaper at present. May be worth investigating
their 4G Mobile Broadband.
I used to get 4G, but here (near York) I only get 3G H+. It's enough for
TV. I run a Roku box from it, too.
3G, 4G, 5G depends on the phone AND the mast - note not the SIM.
Currently: ping 87msec, down 13.85Mbps, up 0.85Mbps (Structured
Communications London)

--
Chris Elvidge
England

Re: 5G?

<XnsAE028674C76Fmrguest@130.133.4.11>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6346&group=uk.rec.sheds#6346

From: tom...@guest-spamtrap.co.uk (Mr Guest)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 16 Dec 2021 00:49:33 GMT
 by: Mr Guest - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 00:49 UTC

Tone wrote (apparently) in uk.rec.sheds on Wed 15 Dec 2021 10:46:15:

> On 15/12/2021 09:04, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
>> Tone wrote:
>>
>>> I can't get fibre optics here.
>>
>> Even if you could, plusnet couldn't use it (they've been saying "soon"
>> for a long long time).
>
> I had FO with Plusnet at my last address.
>
> Tone

Are you about tomorrow (just realised the time, so I mean Thursday) as I am
not far from you and have a 3 sim in one device and Plusnet mobile for my
phone.

Realised for one client for jbex I have driven a few hundred yards from where
you are regularly since July last year...
--
Mr Guest
Always, seemingly, on the road to nowhere

Re: 5G?

<spe2j4$rog$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6347&group=uk.rec.sheds#6347

From: ema...@address.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 00:51:52 +0000
 by: Tone - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 00:51 UTC

On 15/12/2021 22:12, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 15-Dec-21 2:01, Tone wrote:
>> Plusnet are about to up my monthly fee by about £10ppm after a fixed
>> tariff contract expires.
>>
>> I can't get fibre optics here. Open reach have buried the cables two
>> years go, but BT are reluctant to put in the box.
>>
>> Now 5G are offering 100 Mbps at £30p/m, which is about what I have
>> been paying Plusnet, for a very iffy much less efficient service in
>> this location.
>>
>> What do assembled sheddi advise bearing in mind I both upload and
>> download a hell of a lot of music.
>
> 1. Who is/are "5G"?  Most networks are offering 5G services now, but I
> haven't found a company called 5G.
>
> 2. Is there a monthly limit on bandwidth with that offering?
>
> 3. The 100Mbps figure is probably marketing garbage - unless you have
> one of their masts in your bathroom.
>
> Can you get a PAYG sim from them, & try it out to see if you get what
> you want/need from them in terms of reliability and performance - before
> cutting the cord?

It's with Three

http://www.three.co.uk/Huawei/5G-Hub/hbbPlans?bundle=With%20a%20Chomebook%204%2B%20worth%20%C2%A3379

Tone

Re: 5G?can't get fibre optics here

<spe2oi$rog$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6348&group=uk.rec.sheds#6348

From: ema...@address.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 00:54:47 +0000
 by: Tone - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 00:54 UTC

On 15/12/2021 23:59, Chris Elvidge wrote:
> On 15/12/2021 02:01, Tone wrote:
>> Plusnet are about to up my monthly fee by about £10ppm after a fixed
>> tariff contract expires.
>>
>> I can't get fibre optics here. Open reach have buried the cables two
>> years go, but BT are reluctant to put in the box.
>>
>> Now 5G are offering 100 Mbps at £30p/m, which is about what I have
>> been paying Plusnet, for a very iffy much less efficient service in
>> this location.
>>
>> What do assembled sheddi advise bearing in mind I both upload and
>> download a hell of a lot of music.
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> Tone
>
> I have no wire connection. I use a 3 SIM in my 'phone and run the
> hotspot (8 connections) constantly. £20pcm unlimited data, calls, texts.
> I think you can get it cheaper at present. May be worth investigating
> their 4G Mobile Broadband.
> I used to get 4G, but here (near York) I only get 3G H+. It's enough for
> TV. I run a Roku box from it, too.
> 3G, 4G, 5G depends on the phone AND the mast - note not the SIM.
> Currently: ping 87msec, down 13.85Mbps, up 0.85Mbps (Structured
> Communications London)

If you are near York, I sense a sheddi local moot sometime?

Tone

Re: 5G?

<spe30d$t9p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6349&group=uk.rec.sheds#6349

From: ema...@address.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 00:58:57 +0000
 by: Tone - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 00:58 UTC

On 16/12/2021 00:49, Mr Guest wrote:
> Tone wrote (apparently) in uk.rec.sheds on Wed 15 Dec 2021 10:46:15:

>>> Even if you could, plusnet couldn't use it (they've been saying "soon"
>>> for a long long time).
>>
>> I had FO with Plusnet at my last address.
>>
>> Tone
>
> Are you about tomorrow (just realised the time, so I mean Thursday) as I am
> not far from you and have a 3 sim in one device and Plusnet mobile for my
> phone.
>
> Realised for one client for jbex I have driven a few hundred yards from where
> you are regularly since July last year...

I'm at home today

Call me, but not early.

Email uncletone (at) tempofm (dot) co (dot) uk. I'll give you a number.

Tone

Re: 5G?can't get fibre optics here

<20211216060736.ace0318a5da89422ca22c66a@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6350&group=uk.rec.sheds#6350

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 06:07:36 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 06:07 UTC

On Wed, 15 Dec 2021 22:12:20 +0000
Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

> 1. Who is/are "5G"? Most networks are offering 5G services now, but I
> haven't found a company called 5G.

5G is a standard not a company, it defines the frequencies and
protocols used by the phones and the masts same as 4G, 3G, 2G, GSM et al.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: 5G?can't get fibre optics here

<spfmr2$6cl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6353&group=uk.rec.sheds#6353

From: chr...@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 15:43:29 +0000
 by: Chris Elvidge - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 15:43 UTC

On 16/12/2021 00:54, Tone wrote:
> On 15/12/2021 23:59, Chris Elvidge wrote:
>> On 15/12/2021 02:01, Tone wrote:
>>> Plusnet are about to up my monthly fee by about £10ppm after a fixed
>>> tariff contract expires.
>>>
>>> I can't get fibre optics here. Open reach have buried the cables two
>>> years go, but BT are reluctant to put in the box.
>>>
>>> Now 5G are offering 100 Mbps at £30p/m, which is about what I have
>>> been paying Plusnet, for a very iffy much less efficient service in
>>> this location.
>>>
>>> What do assembled sheddi advise bearing in mind I both upload and
>>> download a hell of a lot of music.
>>>
>>> cheers
>>>
>>> Tone
>>
>> I have no wire connection. I use a 3 SIM in my 'phone and run the
>> hotspot (8 connections) constantly. £20pcm unlimited data, calls,
>> texts. I think you can get it cheaper at present. May be worth
>> investigating their 4G Mobile Broadband.
>> I used to get 4G, but here (near York) I only get 3G H+. It's enough
>> for TV. I run a Roku box from it, too.
>> 3G, 4G, 5G depends on the phone AND the mast - note not the SIM.
>> Currently: ping 87msec, down 13.85Mbps, up 0.85Mbps (Structured
>> Communications London)
>>

> If you are near York, I sense a sheddi local moot sometime?
>
> Tone

As you seem to like scratchy music - "Anna Case - Believe me if all
those endearing young charms" -
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnzWhb1Lmb-Lx0G8wnsCTFliW8s5?e=ZeVFhV

--
Chris Elvidge
England

Re: 5G?can't get fibre optics here

<spgf12$kg7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6354&group=uk.rec.sheds#6354

From: ema...@address.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 22:36:24 +0000
 by: Tone - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 22:36 UTC

On 16/12/2021 15:43, Chris Elvidge wrote:
> On 16/12/2021 00:54, Tone wrote:

>>> I have no wire connection. I use a 3 SIM in my 'phone and run the
>>> hotspot (8 connections) constantly. £20pcm unlimited data, calls,
>>> texts. I think you can get it cheaper at present. May be worth
>>> investigating their 4G Mobile Broadband.
>>> I used to get 4G, but here (near York) I only get 3G H+. It's enough
>>> for TV. I run a Roku box from it, too.
>>> 3G, 4G, 5G depends on the phone AND the mast - note not the SIM.
>>> Currently: ping 87msec, down 13.85Mbps, up 0.85Mbps (Structured
>>> Communications London)
>>>

>> If you are near York, I sense a sheddi local moot sometime?
>>
>> Tone
>
> As you seem to like scratchy music - "Anna Case - Believe me if all
> those endearing young charms" -
> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnzWhb1Lmb-Lx0G8wnsCTFliW8s5?e=ZeVFhV

Thanx for these Chris. I've used Capstick and Forkhandles, but t'other
two are useful.

cheers

Tone