From: Man...@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Mac drive letters?
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 06:43:29 +0000
 by: John - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 06:43 UTC

On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 15:21:46 -0000 (UTC), Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Commander Kinsey <CK1@nospam.com> wrote:
>> I mainly use PCs and thought, how do Mac users manage without drive letters?
>
>Easily.

Well, that depends upon your mental flexibility and what you are used
to. Win-box users looking at Macs or 'Nixxy things for the first time
may get confused.

To long-term Mac users, yes, it is easy. :)

>> How do you enter a path for example? How can a program refer to a file
>> if there's no letter?
>
>It's a UNIX system so all paths are relative to root '/'. Once you get used
>to a unified system, drive letters make no sense.

Commander, I name my Maccy drives.

"Videos-2021-01" and "MacBP HD" for examples. I know they have little
"/dev/....." style names by which the operating system knows them,
too, but that is usually none of my concern. The Mac OSX GUI, and her
little sisters, show me the labels I prefer to use.

Using the Terminal and Command Line is a little more "/dev..." type
of stuff but you get used to this, too. It only looks absolutely
terrifying for the first forty-odd years.

In general, on average, mainly and if you don't push the limits you
can name a drive whatever the Hell you wish on a Mac. Mostly, the name
transfers to Windows, too.

Though Windows *does* also know drives by letters. So the video drive
up there may look like

"K:\Videos-2021-01" on a Win-box, or something similar.

Commander, you can also name *partitions* on Mac drives with or
without letters. If you have a 3TB drive inside your laptop, for
example, you could have:

1TB for "D" where the OS lives
1TB for "Sea" where the movies and music and novels you write all
live
1TB for "General Crud" where miscellaneous stuff wanders about like
ghosts in the machinery.

Or you could just leave it as one huge 3TB lump and keep the default
"MacHD" name that came with the box.

Unixxy operating systems like Mac OS are often very flexible. Or can
be locked-down like iPads and other tablets.

J.