From: Man...@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Mac drive letters?
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 14:05:10 +0000
 by: John - Tue, 22 Feb 2022 14:05 UTC

On Mon, 21 Feb 2022 15:48:03 +0000, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 20/02/2022 22:08, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 18:42:45 -0000, Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Why should users have to remember a bunch of drive letters?
>>
>> They don't.  Everybody knows it's A: for floppy (not used now),

Yes, it is.

>> C: for
>> hard disk.  If you add another floppy it's B:,

Or if you have a system restore partition installed by the box maker
or if you assign B to some other little bugger such as a camera, MIDI
system, e-reader or second partition on C.

>> if you add a CDROM or
>> another hard drive it's D: etc.

Mine came with optical D drive. It moved itself to E when I
partitioned the C.

I parted the read C.

>> Or you cna get fancy and call a folder
>> or partition a drive letter.

My Win-box also has four card drives. Four different types of cards.
F, G H and I inbuilt. I didn't look for those, they just came with the
box.

You shouldn't imagine that all boxes are like yours, especially in
countries that are not USAlia.

Oh, yes, there *ARE* countries that are not USAlia. Trust me on this.

>In business, different network shares are on different drives and the
>policies differ between companies. I've seen H:, S:, U:, P: used for
>specific reasons which have to be learned and getting them confused can
>be a serious issue.

In some places I've worked "U" was "private user space", where one
could store your email archive, browser settings and other rubbish
without bothering Corporate Space too often.

The "private" was conditional.

>Whereas you only need to be able to read English to understand the
>following.
>
>/Volumes/Finance
>/Volumes/HR
>/Volumes/Shared

Right.

Which is ever so cool.

Considering how prevalent Unix systems are one might even call it
normal.

J.