From: daniele-...@invalid.com (D.M. Procida)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: HDMI display refresh rate heads-up
Date: 22 Feb 2022 13:30:33 GMT
 by: D.M. Procida - Tue, 22 Feb 2022 13:30 UTC

I had a funny experience today - I attached my 2021 MacBook Pro to a new HDMI
display, which promptly decided that nothing was connected and went back to
sleep.

The MacBook could see the monitor and knew its model details and
characteristics. After some faffing around, I realised that the MacBook was
defaulting to a 75Hz refresh rate for this display at that resolution, and it
would only work at 60Hz.

The same MacBook had been working with another display yesterday. I might have
concluded there was a fault in the monitor, had I not had an 2013 MacBook with
me that worked it with it straight away.

Daniele

Re: HDMI display refresh rate heads-up

<j7kgq6F4oiiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6436&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6436

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: HDMI display refresh rate heads-up
Date: 22 Feb 2022 16:20:22 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Tue, 22 Feb 2022 16:20 UTC

On 22 Feb 2022 at 13:30:33 GMT, "D.M. Procida"
<daniele-at-vurt-dot-org@invalid.com> wrote:

> I had a funny experience today - I attached my 2021 MacBook Pro to a new HDMI
> display, which promptly decided that nothing was connected and went back to
> sleep.
>
> The MacBook could see the monitor and knew its model details and
> characteristics. After some faffing around, I realised that the MacBook was
> defaulting to a 75Hz refresh rate for this display at that resolution, and it
> would only work at 60Hz.
>
> The same MacBook had been working with another display yesterday. I might have
> concluded there was a fault in the monitor, had I not had an 2013 MacBook with
> me that worked it with it straight away.
>
> Daniele

I plugged my M1 MBP into my TV recently, and it decided to default to
4k30 rather than 4k60 until I manually changed it up to the 60Hz so it
doesn't feel like treacle.
Not sure if it's the monitors or the Macs that are being dumb, but
between them they're not very bright.

Cheers - Jaimie

--
Beauty is only skin deep, but it turns out that you still need the bones and gunk
-- j comeau, a softer world