From: ema...@address.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Petty criminal thoughts
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 01:16:53 +0000
 by: Tone - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 01:16 UTC

Watching the Tom Petty Band on an ancient Whistle Test on BBC4 this evening.

What a major talent and what a loss.

He died of a pain-killing overdose.

Seems he was in great pain throughout his performances due to a hip injury.

It sets me wondering whether pain is the catalyst for many great
performances.

Leonard Cohen comes to mind. Maybe not physical pain, but mental stress
throughout his life.

Obviously Ian Dury and Gene Vincent suffered physically.

Again on the mental pain side, probably Nick Drake, Janis Joplin and
maybe Amy Winehouse and Tim Buckly.

I'm not in their league but what drives me on in radio is distraction
from my own continuous leg pains, that are steadily getting
worserererer. The port one is now catching up with the starboard one.

My current target is to get to my 80th in March and then decide.

That isn't bad. My maternal grandfather, who had similar problems, only
made it to 65. He saved up his million pound fortune in brewery shares
for a long, happy retirement that he never got.

Grandma, bless her, gave all his brewery shares to the Salvation Army,
being teetotal, who of course sold them, otherwise we'd all be rich now.

Tone

Re: Petty criminal thoughts

<7cd11c20-4869-4772-83cd-f3f6c8fc23acn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6314&group=uk.rec.sheds#6314

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 20:16:13 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Petty criminal thoughts
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 04:16 UTC

On Friday, December 10, 2021 at 7:16:49 PM UTC-6, Tone wrote:
> Watching the Tom Petty Band on an ancient Whistle Test on BBC4 this evening.
>
> What a major talent and what a loss.
>
> He died of a pain-killing overdose.
>
> Seems he was in great pain throughout his performances due to a hip injury.
>
> It sets me wondering whether pain is the catalyst for many great
> performances.
>
> Leonard Cohen comes to mind. Maybe not physical pain, but mental stress
> throughout his life.
>
> Obviously Ian Dury and Gene Vincent suffered physically.
>
> Again on the mental pain side, probably Nick Drake, Janis Joplin and
> maybe Amy Winehouse and Tim Buckly.
>

> I'm not in their league but what drives me on in radio is distraction
> from my own continuous leg pains, that are steadily getting
> worserererer. The port one is now catching up with the starboard one.
>
> My current target is to get to my 80th in March and then decide.
>
> That isn't bad. My maternal grandfather, who had similar problems, only
> made it to 65. He saved up his million pound fortune in brewery shares
> for a long, happy retirement that he never got.
>
> Grandma, bless her, gave all his brewery shares to the Salvation Army,
> being teetotal, who of course sold them, otherwise we'd all be rich now.
>
> Tone

my father had an uncle that lived to be 94 so he always said I want to make it to 94 also well he almost did , he made it to 90 , had heart problems . I remember the last several days of his life he couldn't walk unless he was holding onto a wall . oh well, he had a full life of growing pecans.

Re: Petty criminal thoughts

<sp1rph$o23$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6315&group=uk.rec.sheds#6315

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 09:42:03 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 09:42 UTC

Hind sight is a wonderful thing of course. I also note how many artists and
other creative people have wrestled with physical and mental problems or
indeed been pretty weak willed when it came to temptation elect. However
distraction may have been the start of their journey into what eventually
killed them got them arrested or ostracised during their lifetimes, so care
has to be used. Nobody is a full time saint either of course.
I often think about those who transgress the line on social acceptance and
wonder how they got there.
The rest of us normals, so to speak just don't get it until we find
ourselves in the same predicament.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tone" <email@address.com> wrote in message
> Watching the Tom Petty Band on an ancient Whistle Test on BBC4 this
> evening.
>
> What a major talent and what a loss.
>
> He died of a pain-killing overdose.
>
> Seems he was in great pain throughout his performances due to a hip
> injury.
>
> It sets me wondering whether pain is the catalyst for many great
> performances.
>
> Leonard Cohen comes to mind. Maybe not physical pain, but mental stress
> throughout his life.
>
> Obviously Ian Dury and Gene Vincent suffered physically.
>
> Again on the mental pain side, probably Nick Drake, Janis Joplin and maybe
> Amy Winehouse and Tim Buckly.
>

> I'm not in their league but what drives me on in radio is distraction from
> my own continuous leg pains, that are steadily getting worserererer. The
> port one is now catching up with the starboard one.
>
> My current target is to get to my 80th in March and then decide.
>
> That isn't bad. My maternal grandfather, who had similar problems, only
> made it to 65. He saved up his million pound fortune in brewery shares for
> a long, happy retirement that he never got.
>
> Grandma, bless her, gave all his brewery shares to the Salvation Army,
> being teetotal, who of course sold them, otherwise we'd all be rich now.
>
> Tone

Re: Petty criminal thoughts

<sp1rue$qle$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6316&group=uk.rec.sheds#6316

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 09:44:39 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 09:44 UTC

I don't know enough about Tom Petty myself, but I'm not so sure, as
presumably before his injury he was still making music?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tone" <email@address.com> wrote in message
> Watching the Tom Petty Band on an ancient Whistle Test on BBC4 this
> evening.
>
> What a major talent and what a loss.
>
> He died of a pain-killing overdose.
>
> Seems he was in great pain throughout his performances due to a hip
> injury.
>
> It sets me wondering whether pain is the catalyst for many great
> performances.
>
> Leonard Cohen comes to mind. Maybe not physical pain, but mental stress
> throughout his life.
>
> Obviously Ian Dury and Gene Vincent suffered physically.
>
> Again on the mental pain side, probably Nick Drake, Janis Joplin and maybe
> Amy Winehouse and Tim Buckly.
>

> I'm not in their league but what drives me on in radio is distraction from
> my own continuous leg pains, that are steadily getting worserererer. The
> port one is now catching up with the starboard one.
>
> My current target is to get to my 80th in March and then decide.
>
> That isn't bad. My maternal grandfather, who had similar problems, only
> made it to 65. He saved up his million pound fortune in brewery shares for
> a long, happy retirement that he never got.
>
> Grandma, bless her, gave all his brewery shares to the Salvation Army,
> being teetotal, who of course sold them, otherwise we'd all be rich now.
>
> Tone

Re: Petty criminal thoughts

<XnsADFD66BE1B7F9Factura3476@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6317&group=uk.rec.sheds#6317

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 10:06:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 10:06 UTC

Tone <email@address.com> wrote in news:sp0u5v$jcj$1@dont-email.me:

> Leonard Cohen comes to mind. Maybe not physical pain, but mental
> stress throughout his life.
>
> Obviously Ian Dury and Gene Vincent suffered physically.
>
> Again on the mental pain side, probably Nick Drake, Janis Joplin and
> maybe Amy Winehouse and Tim Buckly.

Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky. To get an insight into mental anguish listen to
his 6th symphony[1]. He died (probably suicide by cholera) a few days
after its premier - listen to the 4th movement and you'll see that
coming).

[1]It's better, if you have time, to listen to all 6[2] symphonies in
sequence.

[2]there's a 7th, but he left notes and someone else completd it. I've
never got on with it.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Petty criminal thoughts

<sp1v25$l97$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6319&group=uk.rec.sheds#6319

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 10:37:56 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 10:37 UTC

On 11/12/2021 10:06, Peter wrote:
> Tone <email@address.com> wrote in news:sp0u5v$jcj$1@dont-email.me:
>

>> Leonard Cohen comes to mind. Maybe not physical pain, but mental
>> stress throughout his life.
>>
>> Obviously Ian Dury and Gene Vincent suffered physically.
>>
>> Again on the mental pain side, probably Nick Drake, Janis Joplin and
>> maybe Amy Winehouse and Tim Buckly.
>
> Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky. To get an insight into mental anguish listen to
> his 6th symphony[1]. He died (probably suicide by cholera) a few days
> after its premier - listen to the 4th movement and you'll see that
> coming).
>
> [1]It's better, if you have time, to listen to all 6[2] symphonies in
> sequence.
>
> [2]there's a 7th, but he left notes and someone else completd it. I've
> never got on with it.

Ah: some 'academic' tried to complete Schubert's Unfinished. Schubert's
jbex was sublime. The 'academic's' was suboptimal - tedious and boring.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Petty criminal thoughts

<sp4muo$lk4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6325&group=uk.rec.sheds#6325

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 11:37:59 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Sun, 12 Dec 2021 11:37 UTC

Its like Hitch Hikers guides unfinished bit, The thing becomes a caricature
of what went before. Gone is the clever free thinking ideas, and the thing
tends to reuse old ones in the style of the original author. maybe its the
same with music.

"RustyHinge" <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 11/12/2021 10:06, Peter wrote:
>> Tone <email@address.com> wrote in news:sp0u5v$jcj$1@dont-email.me:
>>

>>> Leonard Cohen comes to mind. Maybe not physical pain, but mental
>>> stress throughout his life.
>>>
>>> Obviously Ian Dury and Gene Vincent suffered physically.
>>>
>>> Again on the mental pain side, probably Nick Drake, Janis Joplin and
>>> maybe Amy Winehouse and Tim Buckly.
>>
>> Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky. To get an insight into mental anguish listen to
>> his 6th symphony[1]. He died (probably suicide by cholera) a few days
>> after its premier - listen to the 4th movement and you'll see that
>> coming).
>>
>> [1]It's better, if you have time, to listen to all 6[2] symphonies in
>> sequence.
>>
>> [2]there's a 7th, but he left notes and someone else completd it. I've
>> never got on with it.
>
> Ah: some 'academic' tried to complete Schubert's Unfinished. Schubert's
> jbex was sublime. The 'academic's' was suboptimal - tedious and boring.
>
> --
> Rusty Hinge
> To err is human. To really foul things up requires a computer and the
> BOFH.

Re: Petty criminal thoughts

<vXI0NKBB4PxhFAyY@salmiron.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6458&group=uk.rec.sheds#6458

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 22:53:53 +0000
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Thu, 23 Dec 2021 22:53 UTC

In article <sp1v25$l97$1@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.
girolle.co.uk> on Sat, 11 Dec 2021 at 10:37:56 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
>On 11/12/2021 10:06, Peter wrote:
>> Tone <email@address.com> wrote in news:sp0u5v$jcj$1@dont-email.me:
>>

>>> Leonard Cohen comes to mind. Maybe not physical pain, but mental
>>> stress throughout his life.
>>>
>>> Obviously Ian Dury and Gene Vincent suffered physically.
>>>
>>> Again on the mental pain side, probably Nick Drake, Janis Joplin and
>>> maybe Amy Winehouse and Tim Buckly.
>>
>> Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky. To get an insight into mental anguish listen to
>> his 6th symphony[1]. He died (probably suicide by cholera) a few days
>> after its premier - listen to the 4th movement and you'll see that
>> coming).
>>
>> [1]It's better, if you have time, to listen to all 6[2] symphonies in
>> sequence.
>>
>> [2]there's a 7th, but he left notes and someone else completd it. I've
>> never got on with it.
>
>Ah: some 'academic' tried to complete Schubert's Unfinished. Schubert's
>jbex was sublime. The 'academic's' was suboptimal - tedious and boring.

Didn't one half of Braams'n List write an Academic Overture?

For a man with such a short life, Schubert left an awful lot of
'unfinished' symphonies, some with completed movements and sketchs for
the other, some with whole piano scores and so on. There is a confusion
in the numbering of the symphonies after number six through to the
'Great', which is complete. Quite a few have been completed by various
other composers, some more successful than others.

Some efforts at the completion of incomplete works have merit, so for
instance there are not many opera buffs who would reject the completion
by Alfano of Turandot.

I am personally a fan of Elgar's Piano Concerto. I heard the 5 sketches
played by Elgar himself on the piano and recorded by HMV at Abbey Road
without an official issuing in his lifetime. At the time that they were
issued (when all the works that Elgar had conducted were issued in a
boxed set), there was no recognition of what they were.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"