A woman's place is in the house... and in the Senate.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cars.maintenance / Re: Ford Focus 2013 Tail Light Wiring/Fuse

SubjectAuthor
* Ford Focus 2013 Tail Light Wiring/Fusethescullster
`* Re: Ford Focus 2013 Tail Light Wiring/Fusealan_m
 +* Re: Ford Focus 2013 Tail Light Wiring/Fusethescullster
 |`* Re: Ford Focus 2013 Tail Light Wiring/FuseTim+
 | `* Re: Ford Focus 2013 Tail Light Wiring/FuseRobin
 |  `- Re: Ford Focus 2013 Tail Light Wiring/Fusethescullster
 `- Re: Ford Focus 2013 Tail Light Wiring/FusePeter Hill

1
Ford Focus 2013 Tail Light Wiring/Fuse

<t8cla3$58f$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=636&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#636

From: Phi...@nospam.com (thescullster)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Subject: Ford Focus 2013 Tail Light Wiring/Fuse
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 14:02:59 +0100
 by: thescullster - Wed, 15 Jun 2022 13:02 UTC

Hi All

One of my colleagues has a 2013 Focus Estate with lighting issues.

He had been told of a failed break light and was replacing this bulb today.
But although he now has 2 operating break lights, his tail (side) lights
are not working.

It is not clear whether he caused the problem when swapping the bulb. I
suppose they could have stopped working and he would not necessarily be
aware given the light nights.
We inspected the wiring local to the bulb housing and all seemed in
order (i. e. no disconnects).

Looking at fuse board "key" diagrams from various sources, I could not
see a fuse that looked in any way associated with the rear tail lights.
My review included fuse boards in: the engine bay, the cabin, the
luggage area.

Does anyone know if there is a fuse specifically protecting the tail
light bulbs and if so where this is? The front side and headlights
appear to be functioning correctly.

Many thanks

Phil

Re: Ford Focus 2013 Tail Light Wiring/Fuse

<jh06lhFa1icU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=639&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#639

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Subject: Re: Ford Focus 2013 Tail Light Wiring/Fuse
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 09:07:14 +0100
 by: alan_m - Thu, 16 Jun 2022 08:07 UTC

On 15/06/2022 14:02, thescullster wrote:
> Hi All
>
> One of my colleagues has a 2013 Focus Estate with lighting issues.
>
> He had been told of a failed break light and was replacing this bulb today.
> But although he now has 2 operating break lights, his tail (side) lights
> are not working.
>
> It is not clear whether he caused the problem when swapping the bulb.  I
> suppose they could have stopped working and he would not necessarily be
> aware given the light nights.
> We inspected the wiring local to the bulb housing and all seemed in
> order (i. e. no disconnects).
>
> Looking at fuse board "key" diagrams from various sources, I could not
> see a fuse that looked in any way associated with the rear tail lights.
> My review included fuse boards in: the engine bay, the cabin, the
> luggage area.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a fuse specifically protecting the tail
> light bulbs and if so where this is?  The front side and headlights
> appear to be functioning correctly.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Phil

Is it a single bulb with two filaments, one for brake and on for tail
light? How many connection terminals in the connector and how many on
the base of the bulb - although often (always) its impossible to fit the
wrong type of bulb as the y are physically keyed differently.

Re: Ford Focus 2013 Tail Light Wiring/Fuse

<t8eq3n$ppr$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=640&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#640

From: Phi...@nospam.com (thescullster)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 09:37:10 +0100
 by: thescullster - Thu, 16 Jun 2022 08:37 UTC

On 16/06/2022 09:07, alan_m wrote:
> On 15/06/2022 14:02, thescullster wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> One of my colleagues has a 2013 Focus Estate with lighting issues.
>>
>> He had been told of a failed break light and was replacing this bulb
>> today.
>> But although he now has 2 operating break lights, his tail (side)
>> lights are not working.
>>
>> It is not clear whether he caused the problem when swapping the bulb.
>> I suppose they could have stopped working and he would not necessarily
>> be aware given the light nights.
>> We inspected the wiring local to the bulb housing and all seemed in
>> order (i. e. no disconnects).
>>
>> Looking at fuse board "key" diagrams from various sources, I could not
>> see a fuse that looked in any way associated with the rear tail
>> lights. My review included fuse boards in: the engine bay, the cabin,
>> the luggage area.
>>
>> Does anyone know if there is a fuse specifically protecting the tail
>> light bulbs and if so where this is?  The front side and headlights
>> appear to be functioning correctly.
>>
>> Many thanks
>>
>> Phil
>

> Is it a single bulb with two filaments, one for brake and on for tail
> light?  How many connection terminals in the connector and how many on
> the base of the bulb - although often (always) its impossible to fit the
> wrong type of bulb as the y are physically keyed differently.

Hello Alan

The side/break lights are the dual filament variety. Yes they are keyed
and I watched him fit the replacement, so know that it was fitted
correctly (without undue force).

The fact is that neither tail light is working although the break lights
are both now operating.

The bulb he fitted looked right with dual contact points just like the
failed item.

Does each bulb have a separate ground wire or does the housing have one
combined? If the latter I don't see how that can be the issue (based on
the fact that the break lights work OK).

I am at a loss to understand which fuse covers these and whether they
are on a separate fuse to all other users.

Thanks

Phil

Re: Ford Focus 2013 Tail Light Wiring/Fuse

<721463456.677061784.160911.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=641&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#641

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: 16 Jun 2022 08:44:54 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Thu, 16 Jun 2022 08:44 UTC

thescullster <Phil@nospam.com> wrote:
> On 16/06/2022 09:07, alan_m wrote:
>> On 15/06/2022 14:02, thescullster wrote:
>>> Hi All
>>>
>>> One of my colleagues has a 2013 Focus Estate with lighting issues.
>>>
>>> He had been told of a failed break light and was replacing this bulb
>>> today.
>>> But although he now has 2 operating break lights, his tail (side)
>>> lights are not working.
>>>
>>> It is not clear whether he caused the problem when swapping the bulb.
>>> I suppose they could have stopped working and he would not necessarily
>>> be aware given the light nights.
>>> We inspected the wiring local to the bulb housing and all seemed in
>>> order (i. e. no disconnects).
>>>
>>> Looking at fuse board "key" diagrams from various sources, I could not
>>> see a fuse that looked in any way associated with the rear tail
>>> lights. My review included fuse boards in: the engine bay, the cabin,
>>> the luggage area.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if there is a fuse specifically protecting the tail
>>> light bulbs and if so where this is?  The front side and headlights
>>> appear to be functioning correctly.
>>>
>>> Many thanks
>>>
>>> Phil
>>

>> Is it a single bulb with two filaments, one for brake and on for tail
>> light?  How many connection terminals in the connector and how many on
>> the base of the bulb - although often (always) its impossible to fit the
>> wrong type of bulb as the y are physically keyed differently.
>>

> Hello Alan
>
> The side/break lights are the dual filament variety. Yes they are keyed
> and I watched him fit the replacement, so know that it was fitted
> correctly (without undue force).
>
> The fact is that neither tail light is working although the break lights
> are both now operating.
>
> The bulb he fitted looked right with dual contact points just like the
> failed item.
>
> Does each bulb have a separate ground wire or does the housing have one
> combined? If the latter I don't see how that can be the issue (based on
> the fact that the break lights work OK).
>

> I am at a loss to understand which fuse covers these and whether they
> are on a separate fuse to all other users.

Earth faults are very common in older cars and can cause odd things to
happen with the rear lights. I’d have a close look at the earths.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Ford Focus 2013 Tail Light Wiring/Fuse

<543348b6-7cb3-8f2c-d976-a718268e6dc7@outlook.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=643&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#643

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 10:07:49 +0100
 by: Robin - Thu, 16 Jun 2022 09:07 UTC

On 16/06/2022 09:44, Tim+ wrote:
> thescullster <Phil@nospam.com> wrote:

>>> Is it a single bulb with two filaments, one for brake and on for tail
>>> light?  How many connection terminals in the connector and how many on
>>> the base of the bulb - although often (always) its impossible to fit the
>>> wrong type of bulb as the y are physically keyed differently.
>>>

>> Hello Alan
>>
>> The side/break lights are the dual filament variety. Yes they are keyed
>> and I watched him fit the replacement, so know that it was fitted
>> correctly (without undue force).
>>
>> The fact is that neither tail light is working although the break lights
>> are both now operating.
>>
>> The bulb he fitted looked right with dual contact points just like the
>> failed item.
>>
>> Does each bulb have a separate ground wire or does the housing have one
>> combined? If the latter I don't see how that can be the issue (based on
>> the fact that the break lights work OK).
>>

>> I am at a loss to understand which fuse covers these and whether they
>> are on a separate fuse to all other users.
>>

> Earth faults are very common in older cars and can cause odd things to
> happen with the rear lights. I’d have a close look at the earths.

I don't know the 2013 but I'm pretty sure on my 2008 Focus the tail and
brake lights share an earth.

I'd track back the cables to see where the harness enters the hatch.
They have a habit of rubbing and shorting or breaking.

--
Robin

Re: Ford Focus 2013 Tail Light Wiring/Fuse

<t8fart$ah2$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=644&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#644

From: Phi...@nospam.com (thescullster)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 14:23:09 +0100
 by: thescullster - Thu, 16 Jun 2022 13:23 UTC

On 16/06/2022 10:07, Robin wrote:
> On 16/06/2022 09:44, Tim+ wrote:
>> thescullster <Phil@nospam.com> wrote:

>>> Hello Alan
>>>
>>> The side/break lights are the dual filament variety.  Yes they are keyed
>>> and I watched him fit the replacement, so know that it was fitted
>>> correctly (without undue force).
>>>
>>> The fact is that neither tail light is working although the break lights
>>> are both now operating.
>>>
>>> The bulb he fitted looked right with dual contact points just like the
>>> failed item.
>>>
>>> Does each bulb have a separate ground wire or does the housing have one
>>> combined? If the latter I don't see how that can be the issue (based on
>>> the fact that the break lights work OK).
>>>

>>> I am at a loss to understand which fuse covers these and whether they
>>> are on a separate fuse to all other users.
>>>

>> Earth faults are very common in older cars and can cause odd things to
>> happen with the rear lights. I’d have a close look at the earths.
>>

> I don't know the 2013 but I'm pretty sure on my 2008 Focus the tail and
> brake lights share an earth.
>
> I'd track back the cables to see where the harness enters the hatch.
> They have a habit of rubbing and shorting or breaking.

Thanks Tim/Robin

I'll tell him he needs to do a bit more ferreting/diagnostics

Phil

Re: Ford Focus 2013 Tail Light Wiring/Fuse

<t8o4m9$1b38$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=647&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#647

From: skys...@yahoo.com (Peter Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 22:32:59 +0100
 by: Peter Hill - Sun, 19 Jun 2022 21:32 UTC

On 16/06/2022 09:07, alan_m wrote:
> On 15/06/2022 14:02, thescullster wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> One of my colleagues has a 2013 Focus Estate with lighting issues.
>>
>> He had been told of a failed break light and was replacing this bulb
>> today.
>> But although he now has 2 operating break lights, his tail (side)
>> lights are not working.
>>
>> It is not clear whether he caused the problem when swapping the bulb.
>> I suppose they could have stopped working and he would not necessarily
>> be aware given the light nights.
>> We inspected the wiring local to the bulb housing and all seemed in
>> order (i. e. no disconnects).
>>
>> Looking at fuse board "key" diagrams from various sources, I could not
>> see a fuse that looked in any way associated with the rear tail
>> lights. My review included fuse boards in: the engine bay, the cabin,
>> the luggage area.
>>
>> Does anyone know if there is a fuse specifically protecting the tail
>> light bulbs and if so where this is?  The front side and headlights
>> appear to be functioning correctly.
>>
>> Many thanks
>>
>> Phil
>

> Is it a single bulb with two filaments, one for brake and on for tail
> light?  How many connection terminals in the connector and how many on
> the base of the bulb - although often (always) its impossible to fit the
> wrong type of bulb as the y are physically keyed differently.

The internal conductors on many tail lamps are stamped zinc plated
tracks. The earth socket with the keyed slots is easy to damage by
trying to fit the bulb with too much force or when removing corroded
bulbs. That pops the heat sealed head off the plastic "rivet" that holds
the tracks in place and then the bulb doesn't fit tight to the contacts
on the base as the socket is loose.

I had to replace a mates tail light on a Ford fiesta for this as hot
melt glue didn't hold, the brake light melted it.