Don't change the reason, just change the excuses! -- Joe Cointment

aus+uk / uk.rec.cars.maintenance / Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?

SubjectAuthor
* CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?Brian
+* Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?Brian
|+* Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?danny burstein
||`- Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?Tim+
|`* Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?Dave Plowman (News)
| `* Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?Brian
|  `* Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?Theo
|   +* Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?Brian
|   |`* Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?Tim+
|   | `* Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?Tim+
|   |  `* Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?Fredxx
|   |   `* Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?Dave Plowman (News)
|   |    +- Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?Fredxx
|   |    `* Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?Peter Hill
|   |     `* Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?Theo
|   |      `- Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?Dave Plowman (News)
|   `- Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?Dave Plowman (News)
`- Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?Brian

1
CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?

<t81q07$u71$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=615&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#615

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Subject: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 10:15:35 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:AmNXw6pBRBJV8L8gmkpPnuxmwrs=
 by: Brian - Sat, 11 Jun 2022 10:15 UTC

A long shot but someone may know.

I’ve just had a phone call from eldest who has my old 2006 CRV. It is
making a noise which, based on what I can tell, sounds like a hole in the
exhaust. I’m hearing this via a mobile phone so this isn’t by any means
certain. Car was running fine previously.

The strange thing is, the engine warming light has come on.

I wouldn’t expect the system to detect a blown exhaust.

The exhaust is the original so it is due a change - the car must have done
90k + miles by now and is 16 years old.

Do engine warning systems on the Hondas detected exhaust problems?

Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?

<t81qgn$1t7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=616&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#616

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Subject: Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 10:24:23 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:6TIXNmau4n6XKe2AY7KRfjlGci0=
 by: Brian - Sat, 11 Jun 2022 10:24 UTC

Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:

> A long shot but someone may know.
>
> I’ve just had a phone call from eldest who has my old 2006 CRV. It is
> making a noise which, based on what I can tell, sounds like a hole in the
> exhaust. I’m hearing this via a mobile phone so this isn’t by any means
> certain. Car was running fine previously.
>
> The strange thing is, the engine warming light has come on.
>
> I wouldn’t expect the system to detect a blown exhaust.
>
> The exhaust is the original so it is due a change - the car must have done
> 90k + miles by now and is 16 years old.
>
> Do engine warning systems on the Hondas detected exhaust problems?

Mystery solved.

Son in law followed advice and sent photos.

Cat converter has been stolen.

Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?

<t82vdh$8o9$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=617&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#617

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 20:54:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Sat, 11 Jun 2022 20:54 UTC

In <t81qgn$1t7$1@dont-email.me> Brian <noinv@lid.org> writes:

[snip]

>Mystery solved.

>Son in law followed advice and sent photos.

>Cat converter has been stolen.

sure hope he's not in NY or Calif. They require
_different_ cat's that are way, way, more expensive.

Oh wait, you're (apparently) in the UK. Well,
hopefully he's not in a jurisdictionwith
that monstrosity...

dannyb@panix.com

Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?

<411366007.676674368.708159.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=618&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#618

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: 11 Jun 2022 21:06:49 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Sat, 11 Jun 2022 21:06 UTC

danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
> In <t81qgn$1t7$1@dont-email.me> Brian <noinv@lid.org> writes:
>
> [snip]
>
>> Mystery solved.
>
>> Son in law followed advice and sent photos.
>
>> Cat converter has been stolen.
>
> sure hope he's not in NY or Calif. They require
> _different_ cat's that are way, way, more expensive.
>
> Oh wait, you're (apparently) in the UK. Well,
> hopefully he's not in a jurisdictionwith
> that monstrosity...

Oddly enough, there’s a reason that UK is in the group name… ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?

<59f75dbadedave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=620&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#620

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 12:27:26 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sun, 12 Jun 2022 11:27 UTC

In article <t81qgn$1t7$1@dont-email.me>,
Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
> Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
> >
> > A long shot but someone may know.
> >
> > I‘ve just had a phone call from eldest who has my old 2006 CRV. It is
> > making a noise which, based on what I can tell, sounds like a hole in the
> > exhaust. I‘m hearing this via a mobile phone so this isn‘t by any means
> > certain. Car was running fine previously.
> >
> > The strange thing is, the engine warming light has come on.
> >
> > I wouldn‘t expect the system to detect a blown exhaust.
> >
> > The exhaust is the original so it is due a change - the car must have done
> > 90k + miles by now and is 16 years old.
> >
> > Do engine warning systems on the Hondas detected exhaust problems?
> >

> Mystery solved.

> Son in law followed advice and sent photos.

> Cat converter has been stolen.

Local FB group is full of such stories. About time the law clamped down on
those scrap firms who buy them.

--
*If you ate pasta and anti-pasta, would you still be hungry?

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?

<t856d8$8bm$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=622&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#622

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 17:05:44 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:+5+iqinyQSEoBP0zDvrzk5xY1Bo=
 by: Brian - Sun, 12 Jun 2022 17:05 UTC

Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <t81qgn$1t7$1@dont-email.me>,
> Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
>> Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> A long shot but someone may know.
>>>
>>> I‘ve just had a phone call from eldest who has my old 2006 CRV. It is
>>> making a noise which, based on what I can tell, sounds like a hole in the
>>> exhaust. I‘m hearing this via a mobile phone so this isn‘t by any means
>>> certain. Car was running fine previously.
>>>
>>> The strange thing is, the engine warming light has come on.
>>>
>>> I wouldn‘t expect the system to detect a blown exhaust.
>>>
>>> The exhaust is the original so it is due a change - the car must have done
>>> 90k + miles by now and is 16 years old.
>>>
>>> Do engine warning systems on the Hondas detected exhaust problems?
>>>

>> Mystery solved.
>
>> Son in law followed advice and sent photos.
>
>> Cat converter has been stolen.
>
> Local FB group is full of such stories. About time the law clamped down on
> those scrap firms who buy them.

Indeed.

The silly thing is, the scrap value of the Cat is under £10 ( based on a
Google search). I would think there are easier ways to make an illicit
living. I’d cut their hands off.

I’m not sure how much other damage was done - certain the exhaust rear
wards was cut and the wires. Eldest has looked on the net and thinks
several hundred pounds to get it repaired.

Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?

<U+n*PvCQy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=623&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#623

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: 13 Jun 2022 11:47:02 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 10:47 UTC

Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
> Indeed.
>
> The silly thing is, the scrap value of the Cat is under £10 ( based on a
> Google search). I would think there are easier ways to make an illicit
> living. I’d cut their hands off.

I think it very much depends. I had the cat stolen from my Prius, removed
with a hydraulic cutter in the middle of the night. They couldn't get at
the second cat from underneath which was on the engine manifold, but I had
to scrap that part too. I got £100 scrap value for it. A replacement
exhaust with two-piece cat from ebay was £120, plus £80 for bloke-in-a-shed
to fit it. So I only lost £100.

Seems like the Toyota ones are in high demand for thieves, but I'm a bit
surprised an aftermarket one is that cheap. Possibly they get away with
less platinum that the original, but whichever way it works fine.

> I’m not sure how much other damage was done - certain the exhaust rear
> wards was cut and the wires. Eldest has looked on the net and thinks
> several hundred pounds to get it repaired.

Presumably new lambda sensor(s) as well, which makes it more pricey.

(although I just checked the Prius ones again, and a new double-cat
including lambda is £150. CRV ones start about £50 for older models,
although looks more like £200-300 for a full exhaust)

Theo

Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?

<t87an6$jd8$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=624&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#624

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 12:31:34 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:jfxomDkaavUqW8jqyDpRwhqhEuU=
 by: Brian - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 12:31 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
>> Indeed.
>>
>> The silly thing is, the scrap value of the Cat is under £10 ( based on a
>> Google search). I would think there are easier ways to make an illicit
>> living. I’d cut their hands off.
>
> I think it very much depends. I had the cat stolen from my Prius, removed
> with a hydraulic cutter in the middle of the night. They couldn't get at
> the second cat from underneath which was on the engine manifold, but I had
> to scrap that part too. I got £100 scrap value for it. A replacement
> exhaust with two-piece cat from ebay was £120, plus £80 for bloke-in-a-shed
> to fit it. So I only lost £100.
>
> Seems like the Toyota ones are in high demand for thieves, but I'm a bit
> surprised an aftermarket one is that cheap. Possibly they get away with
> less platinum that the original, but whichever way it works fine.
>
>> I’m not sure how much other damage was done - certain the exhaust rear
>> wards was cut and the wires. Eldest has looked on the net and thinks
>> several hundred pounds to get it repaired.
>
> Presumably new lambda sensor(s) as well, which makes it more pricey.
>
> (although I just checked the Prius ones again, and a new double-cat
> including lambda is £150. CRV ones start about £50 for older models,
> although looks more like £200-300 for a full exhaust)
>
> Theo

She is getting rough estimates of £700 with labour at the moment but I
don’t know exactly what that includes.

Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?

<1982128723.676820048.442221.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=625&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#625

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: 13 Jun 2022 13:34:52 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 13:34 UTC

Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
> Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>> Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
>>> Indeed.
>>>
>>> The silly thing is, the scrap value of the Cat is under £10 ( based on a
>>> Google search). I would think there are easier ways to make an illicit
>>> living. I’d cut their hands off.
>>
>> I think it very much depends. I had the cat stolen from my Prius, removed
>> with a hydraulic cutter in the middle of the night. They couldn't get at
>> the second cat from underneath which was on the engine manifold, but I had
>> to scrap that part too. I got £100 scrap value for it. A replacement
>> exhaust with two-piece cat from ebay was £120, plus £80 for bloke-in-a-shed
>> to fit it. So I only lost £100.
>>
>> Seems like the Toyota ones are in high demand for thieves, but I'm a bit
>> surprised an aftermarket one is that cheap. Possibly they get away with
>> less platinum that the original, but whichever way it works fine.
>>
>>> I’m not sure how much other damage was done - certain the exhaust rear
>>> wards was cut and the wires. Eldest has looked on the net and thinks
>>> several hundred pounds to get it repaired.
>>
>> Presumably new lambda sensor(s) as well, which makes it more pricey.
>>
>> (although I just checked the Prius ones again, and a new double-cat
>> including lambda is £150. CRV ones start about £50 for older models,
>> although looks more like £200-300 for a full exhaust)
>>
>> Theo
>>

> She is getting rough estimates of £700 with labour at the moment but I
> don’t know exactly what that includes.

It includes making insurance companies richer and the rest of us poorer.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?

<1871115197.676821939.997790.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=626&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#626

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: 13 Jun 2022 14:06:25 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 14:06 UTC

Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:
> Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
>> Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>>> I think it very much depends. I had the cat stolen from my Prius, removed
>>> with a hydraulic cutter in the middle of the night. They couldn't get at
>>> the second cat from underneath which was on the engine manifold, but I had
>>> to scrap that part too. I got £100 scrap value for it. A replacement
>>> exhaust with two-piece cat from ebay was £120, plus £80 for bloke-in-a-shed
>>> to fit it. So I only lost £100.
>>>
>>> Seems like the Toyota ones are in high demand for thieves, but I'm a bit
>>> surprised an aftermarket one is that cheap. Possibly they get away with
>>> less platinum that the original, but whichever way it works fine.

>>> Presumably new lambda sensor(s) as well, which makes it more pricey.
>>>
>>> (although I just checked the Prius ones again, and a new double-cat
>>> including lambda is £150. CRV ones start about £50 for older models,
>>> although looks more like £200-300 for a full exhaust)
>>>
>>> Theo
>>>

>> She is getting rough estimates of £700 with labour at the moment but I
>> don’t know exactly what that includes.
>>

> It includes making insurance companies richer and the rest of us poorer.
>
> Tim

Sorry, shoulda said garages richer and us poorer.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?

<59f7f1afa2dave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=627&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#627

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 15:23:31 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 14:23 UTC

In article <U+n*PvCQy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
> > Indeed.
> >
> > The silly thing is, the scrap value of the Cat is under £10 ( based on a
> > Google search). I would think there are easier ways to make an illicit
> > living. I‘d cut their hands off.

> I think it very much depends. I had the cat stolen from my Prius, removed
> with a hydraulic cutter in the middle of the night. They couldn't get at
> the second cat from underneath which was on the engine manifold, but I had
> to scrap that part too. I got £100 scrap value for it. A replacement
> exhaust with two-piece cat from ebay was £120, plus £80 for bloke-in-a-shed
> to fit it. So I only lost £100.

> Seems like the Toyota ones are in high demand for thieves, but I'm a bit
> surprised an aftermarket one is that cheap. Possibly they get away with
> less platinum that the original, but whichever way it works fine.

> > I‘m not sure how much other damage was done - certain the exhaust rear
> > wards was cut and the wires. Eldest has looked on the net and thinks
> > several hundred pounds to get it repaired.

> Presumably new lambda sensor(s) as well, which makes it more pricey.

> (although I just checked the Prius ones again, and a new double-cat
> including lambda is £150. CRV ones start about £50 for older models,
> although looks more like £200-300 for a full exhaust)

I followed a very early Prius the other day. Very much a rarity,
considering how popular they are as mini-cabs. Exhaust pipe hanging down
underneath - I'd guess a DIY bodge after a cat. theft. And it stank to
high heaven. Bit like a veteran car with the choke left on. I assume
because the lambda sensors had gone too and been bodged in some way.

--
*Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter since nobody listens*

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?

<t87icb$8ud$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=629&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#629

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 15:42:19 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 14:42 UTC

On 13/06/2022 15:06, Tim+ wrote:
> Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:

>>> She is getting rough estimates of £700 with labour at the moment but I
>>> don’t know exactly what that includes.
>>>

>> It includes making insurance companies richer and the rest of us poorer.
>>
>> Tim
>>

> Sorry, shoulda said garages richer and us poorer.

I think you might be right first time. I'm sure the premiums will rise
to claw back the cost. At the insurance company's chosen garage the
final price will be heavily discounted for the insurance company too.

Another alternative is to buy the parts and get a garage to fit them.
That might well save more than a couple of hundred.

Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?

<59f8732ec3dave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=632&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#632

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 14:57:55 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 13:57 UTC

In article <t87icb$8ud$1@dont-email.me>,
Fredxx <fredxx@spam.uk> wrote:
> Another alternative is to buy the parts and get a garage to fit them.
> That might well save more than a couple of hundred.

You'll be lucky to find a garage that will fit bits you supply.

Two reasons. They lose the profit on the parts.
If it goes wrong, there will be (more of) an argument as to why.

--
*I thought I wanted a career. Turns out I just wanted paychecks.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?

<t8b501$eo3$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=633&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#633

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 00:18:25 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 23:18 UTC

> In article <t87icb$8ud$1@dont-email.me>,
> Fredxx <fredxx@spam.uk> wrote:
>> Another alternative is to buy the parts and get a garage to fit them.
>> That might well save more than a couple of hundred.
>
> You'll be lucky to find a garage that will fit bits you supply.
>
> Two reasons. They lose the profit on the parts.
> If it goes wrong, there will be (more of) an argument as to why.

Perhaps garages in your parts can afford to be choosy but the ones
around here will happily fit your supplied parts.

Of course if they go wrong you're on your own. But for a cat, I would
say the risk is pretty low.

Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?

<t8bv3l$1cgs$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=634&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#634

From: skys...@yahoo.com (Peter Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 07:44:05 +0100
 by: Peter Hill - Wed, 15 Jun 2022 06:44 UTC

> In article <t87icb$8ud$1@dont-email.me>,
> Fredxx <fredxx@spam.uk> wrote:
>> Another alternative is to buy the parts and get a garage to fit them.
>> That might well save more than a couple of hundred.
>
> You'll be lucky to find a garage that will fit bits you supply.
>
> Two reasons. They lose the profit on the parts.
> If it goes wrong, there will be (more of) an argument as to why.

An alterative is a mobile mechanic.

Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?

<xCy*CYRQy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=642&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#642

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: 16 Jun 2022 10:05:55 +0100 (BST)
References: <t81q07$u71$1@dont-email.me> <t81qgn$1t7$1@dont-email.me> <59f75dbadedave@davenoise.co.uk> <t856d8$8bm$1@dont-email.me> <U+n*PvCQy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> <t87an6$jd8$1@dont-email.me> <1982128723.676820048.442221.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net> <1871115197.676821939.997790.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net> <t87icb$8ud$1@dont-email.me> <59f8732ec3dave@davenoise.co.uk> <t8bv3l$1cgs$1@gioia.aioe.org>
 by: Theo - Thu, 16 Jun 2022 09:05 UTC

Peter Hill <skyshac@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 14/06/2022 14:57, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> > In article <t87icb$8ud$1@dont-email.me>,
> > Fredxx <fredxx@spam.uk> wrote:
> >> Another alternative is to buy the parts and get a garage to fit them.
> >> That might well save more than a couple of hundred.
> >
> > You'll be lucky to find a garage that will fit bits you supply.
> >
> > Two reasons. They lose the profit on the parts.
> > If it goes wrong, there will be (more of) an argument as to why.
> >
> An alterative is a mobile mechanic.

That's a good thought. Are they usually happy for customers to source
parts, in general?

I've had this argument with garages before, even underneath-the-arches ones.
I know they make a markup on the parts, that's fine, just add the
markup on my bill. But:

1. the car was sufficiently old that you can't get the parts through the
usual autofactors
2. because of #1, it saves them a lot of ringing around trying to source
them
3. because there weren't many cars left the parts were dirt cheap on
ebay, since there was no other use for them.
4. I'm happy to pay for their time if the parts turn out not to fit (which
was a big headache for a model made in a transition year)

and still they were difficult about it.

I eventually found a bloke-inna-shed who was happy to do this, but he's
semi-retired and quite busy. So it's always good to have alternatives.

Theo

Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?

<59f97f10f1dave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=645&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#645

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 15:43:55 +0100
References: <t81q07$u71$1@dont-email.me> <t81qgn$1t7$1@dont-email.me> <59f75dbadedave@davenoise.co.uk> <t856d8$8bm$1@dont-email.me> <U+n*PvCQy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> <t87an6$jd8$1@dont-email.me> <1982128723.676820048.442221.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net> <1871115197.676821939.997790.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net> <t87icb$8ud$1@dont-email.me> <59f8732ec3dave@davenoise.co.uk> <t8bv3l$1cgs$1@gioia.aioe.org> <xCy*CYRQy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Thu, 16 Jun 2022 14:43 UTC

In article <xCy*CYRQy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Peter Hill <skyshac@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On 14/06/2022 14:57, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> > >
> > > You'll be lucky to find a garage that will fit bits you supply.
> > >
> > > Two reasons. They lose the profit on the parts.
> > > If it goes wrong, there will be (more of) an argument as to why.
> > >
> > An alterative is a mobile mechanic.

> That's a good thought. Are they usually happy for customers to source
> parts, in general?

> I've had this argument with garages before, even underneath-the-arches ones.
> I know they make a markup on the parts, that's fine, just add the
> markup on my bill. But:

> 1. the car was sufficiently old that you can't get the parts through the
> usual autofactors
> 2. because of #1, it saves them a lot of ringing around trying to source
> them
> 3. because there weren't many cars left the parts were dirt cheap on
> ebay, since there was no other use for them.
> 4. I'm happy to pay for their time if the parts turn out not to fit (which
> was a big headache for a model made in a transition year)

> and still they were difficult about it.

> I eventually found a bloke-inna-shed who was happy to do this, but he's
> semi-retired and quite busy. So it's always good to have alternatives.

I noticed the handbrake on the old Rover was poorer than usual (not much
needed as it's an auto) but had to obviously fix it for the MOT. Reason
was obvious - a weeping cylinder. Replaced them both and the shoes. And
the pipe which linked them. So decided to replace the rather rusty looking
handbrake cable too - I had a new sealed spare.

Decided to get a garage to do it as you need plenty room under the car.
Went to my local family owned one. They told be they would only fit parts
they supply. OK. They then phoned and said they couldn't get a new one.
They obviously didn't know any specialists. So said they would fit mine.
Then got a load of BS from them. The rear brakes were adjusted too tight
so it wouldn't fit. (they are self adjusting) So they'd had to strip and
free them off. Something I'd done (and cleaned fully) days before. They
had given it the MOT though. Although the handbrake worse than when it
went in. It also came back with the alternator (quite recent) not
charging. Had to buy a new regulator for it. Coincidence - or had they
used a fast charger or whatever?

--
*Some people are only alive because it is illegal to kill.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: CRV Engine Warning light exhaust hole?

<t9hbfn$1dkdb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=650&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#650

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 11:02:15 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:zqE1C72qpwhNMew/TLvjsLAuR18=
 by: Brian - Wed, 29 Jun 2022 11:02 UTC

Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:

> A long shot but someone may know.
>
> I’ve just had a phone call from eldest who has my old 2006 CRV. It is
> making a noise which, based on what I can tell, sounds like a hole in the
> exhaust. I’m hearing this via a mobile phone so this isn’t by any means
> certain. Car was running fine previously.
>
> The strange thing is, the engine warming light has come on.
>
> I wouldn’t expect the system to detect a blown exhaust.
>
> The exhaust is the original so it is due a change - the car must have done
> 90k + miles by now and is 16 years old.
>
> Do engine warning systems on the Hondas detected exhaust problems?

A final follow up:

Car is now repaired. Bill was about £800, covered by insurance.

Eldest enquired about some kind of security strap but was advised the
scrots just cut through them.