If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

aus+uk / uk.people.silversurfers / Re: GMT Thursday 29th February 2024

SubjectAuthor
* GMT Thursday 29th February 2024Flyi?g ?u? 2?24+
`* Re: GMT Thursday 29th February 2024Bob Henson
 `* Re: GMT Thursday 29th February 2024Flyi?g ?u? 2?24 +
  `* Re: GMT Thursday 29th February 2024Bob Henson
   `* Re: GMT Thursday 29th February 2024Flyi?g ?u? 2?24+
    +* Re: GMT Thursday 29th February 2024Flyi?g ?u? 2?24+
    |`* Re: GMT Thursday 29th February 2024Bob Henson
    | +- Re: GMT Thursday 29th February 2024kat
    | `- Re: GMT Thursday 29th February 2024Flyi?g ?u? 2?24+
    +- Re: GMT Thursday 29th February 2024Bob Henson
    `- Re: GMT Thursday 29th February 2024Indy Jess John

1
GMT Thursday 29th February 2024

<l4b8chFamp3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6498&group=uk.people.silversurfers#6498

From: flying...@roseofwhite.plus.com (Flyi?g ?u? 2?24+)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: GMT Thursday 29th February 2024
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:33:41 -0000
 by: Flyi?g ?u? 2?24+ - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:33 UTC

Mornin' from a dry, milder, overcast but brighter day here in South
Yorkshire. Temperature out there is 8C but feeling more like 6C with
the gusty, up to 10 mph, cooling wind from the WSW. Barometric pressure
is steady at 1003.3 mB after falling overnight. RH is showing as 74%
and falling a little. Forecast is for much the same with the
temperature to peak in the early afternoon at 9C, more like 8C and then
gradually fall to an overnight low of 1C, feeling more like -1C with
maybe a little frost. Enjoy your day, keep warm and take care to stay
safe.
Sootie was up and half-breakfasted and out by 09:15 with no Tabby
around. When I returned to the kitchen around 10:00, Sootie was on the
shed roof and below her Tabby was sitting on top of the black bin,
waiting for some breakfast. Strange as Tabby was here last night for
supper too. They completed their meals. Then Sootie came indoors and
returned to her bed and Tabby went off on her morning rounds.
--
Heard messages are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter.
FN 2�24+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland..

Re: GMT Thursday 29th February 2024

<1ise7ff3m4qq8.1fmpwikxnlp33.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6499&group=uk.people.silversurfers#6499

From: bob.hen...@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Re: GMT Thursday 29th February 2024
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:47:00 +0000
 by: Bob Henson - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:47 UTC

Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°24+ wrote:

> Mornin' from a dry, milder, overcast but brighter day here in South
> Yorkshire. Temperature out there is 8C but feeling more like 6C with
> the gusty, up to 10 mph, cooling wind from the WSW. Barometric pressure
> is steady at 1003.3 mB after falling overnight. RH is showing as 74%
> and falling a little. Forecast is for much the same with the
> temperature to peak in the early afternoon at 9C, more like 8C and then
> gradually fall to an overnight low of 1C, feeling more like -1C with
> maybe a little frost. Enjoy your day, keep warm and take care to stay
> safe.
> Sootie was up and half-breakfasted and out by 09:15 with no Tabby
> around. When I returned to the kitchen around 10:00, Sootie was on the
> shed roof and below her Tabby was sitting on top of the black bin,
> waiting for some breakfast. Strange as Tabby was here last night for
> supper too. They completed their meals. Then Sootie came indoors and
> returned to her bed and Tabby went off on her morning rounds.

Let's hope we're all still around on the next February 29th. Probably
pushing it a bit in my case - but I'll do my best. Originally, I would have
thought I had broken our family's longevity record by then, but I've just
found out a long-lost cousin made it to 95. I've no chance of another 15
years. :-)

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

Middle names are so you know when you're in trouble!

Re: GMT Thursday 29th February 2024

<LZ6cnfzeI7QVTHz4nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6501&group=uk.people.silversurfers#6501

From: flying...@roseofwhite.plus.com (Flyi?g ?u? 2?24 +)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 13:01:00 -0000
 by: Flyi?g ?u? 2?24 + - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 13:01 UTC

Bob Henson wrote:

> Let's hope we're all still around on the next February 29th. Probably
> pushing it a bit in my case - but I'll do my best. Originally, I
> would have thought I had broken our family's longevity record by
> then, but I've just found out a long-lost cousin made it to 95. I've
> no chance of another 15 years. :-)

Let's hope you're right Bob, but 'all' "reet nah" seems to be "Thee an'
Me" + only a few lurkers.

I have to last around another 17 years to beat our family's longevity
record of one of Dad's aunts 101, as far as I know. Dad lived up to a
fortnight before, what would have been his 94th birthday and Mum died at
86. I lived with Dad after Mum died. He felt every lonely towards the
end and mentioned all his friends had passed on and he no longer had any
of his friends and peers left to talk to.
--
Heard messages are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter.
FN 2�24+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland..
flyingnun@roseofwhite.plus.com

Re: GMT Thursday 29th February 2024

<k0eqcj4rd8gj.mwdzo9pjfbk3$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6509&group=uk.people.silversurfers#6509

From: bob.hen...@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 10:17:58 +0000
 by: Bob Henson - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 10:17 UTC

Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°24 + wrote:

> Bob Henson wrote:
>>>
>> Let's hope we're all still around on the next February 29th. Probably
>> pushing it a bit in my case - but I'll do my best. Originally, I
>> would have thought I had broken our family's longevity record by
>> then, but I've just found out a long-lost cousin made it to 95. I've
>> no chance of another 15 years. :-)
>>
> Let's hope you're right Bob, but 'all' "reet nah" seems to be "Thee an'
> Me" + only a few lurkers.
>
> I have to last around another 17 years to beat our family's longevity
> record of one of Dad's aunts 101, as far as I know. Dad lived up to a
> fortnight before, what would have been his 94th birthday and Mum died at
> 86. I lived with Dad after Mum died. He felt every lonely towards the
> end and mentioned all his friends had passed on and he no longer had any
> of his friends and peers left to talk to.

That's more or less my situation already. All my old pals have either moved
on or are dead, the latter being the most likely. Most of my family are a
long way off, so visitors are thin on the ground. Sue still does a part
time job in the visitor centre here, and I'm sitting twiddling my thumbs
quite often. Now Usenet is virtually dead there's not a lot to do on line
either - and I really can't face the snowflake generations claptrap on
Facebook. I play online games occasionally with my son in Essex, and that's
about it. I'm recovering from a recent carpal tunnel operation at the
moment so I've only one and a bit hands to type with, so that's currently
difficult too.

I'm not that keen on old age - but it's marginally better than the
alternative :-)

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

Critic - a person who knows the way, but can't drive the car. - Kenneth
Tynan

Re: GMT Thursday 29th February 2024

<l4lqdoFtltvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6511&group=uk.people.silversurfers#6511

From: flying...@roseofwhite.plus.com (Flyi?g ?u? 2?24+)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 11:42:57 -0000
 by: Flyi?g ?u? 2?24+ - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 11:42 UTC

Bob Henson wrote:
<snipped>
> I'm not that keen on old age - but it's marginally better than the
> alternative :-)

You don't really know though. I'm guessing like me that you haven't
tried the alternative. I'd love to own and drive a Ferrari, Lamborghini
and Maclaren P but I might not like them. Fortunately I am very content
with my 22 year old Celica 1.8 VVTi Coupe. It has close ratio 6
gearbox and the engine dishes out 141 bhp so could easily top the 100
mph if I ever wanted to. It's only covered ~90,000 miles too.

Here it is on the forecourt 2011
http://www.roseofwhite.plus.com/NewCelica3.jpg and here's the driving
position http://www.roseofwhite.plus.com/NewCelica5.jpg

I owned the previous model before that, which I reckoned drove like a
executive car. When I bought the one I have now I reckon it's more of
an executive toy and is always trying to persuade you drive to the
nearest and have a good play. I feel just a tad too old and decrepit
to do that any more.

--
Heard messages are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter.
FN 2�24+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland..
flyingnun@roseofwhite.plus.com

Re: GMT Thursday 29th February 2024

<l4lqtvFto85U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6512&group=uk.people.silversurfers#6512

From: flying...@roseofwhite.plus.com (Flyi?g ?u? 2?24+)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 11:51:39 -0000
 by: Flyi?g ?u? 2?24+ - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 11:51 UTC

Flyi�g �u� 2�24+ wrote:
> Bob Henson wrote:
> <snipped>
>> I'm not that keen on old age - but it's marginally better than the
>> alternative :-)
>>
> You don't really know though. I'm guessing like me that you haven't
> tried the alternative. I'd love to own and drive a Ferrari,
> Lamborghini and Maclaren P but I might not like them. Fortunately I
> am very content with my 22 year old Celica 1.8 VVTi Coupe. It has
> close ratio 6 gearbox and the engine dishes out 141 bhp so could
> easily top the 100 mph if I ever wanted to. It's only covered
> ~90,000 miles too.
> Here it is on the forecourt 2011
> http://www.roseofwhite.plus.com/NewCelica3.jpg and here's the driving
> position http://www.roseofwhite.plus.com/NewCelica5.jpg
> I owned the previous model before that, which I reckoned drove like a
> executive car. When I bought the one I have now I reckon it's more
> of an executive toy and is always trying to persuade you drive to the
> nearest and have a good play. I feel just a tad too old and decrepit
> to do that any more.

Whoops!!! I don't know why but you may have to copy and paste the
links to your browser's address box. :(
--
Heard messages are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter.
FN 2�24+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland..
flyingnun@roseofwhite.plus.com

Re: GMT Thursday 29th February 2024

<187tlghq56oyc.1r5co9udkv7zw.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6514&group=uk.people.silversurfers#6514

From: bob.hen...@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 15:20:40 +0000
 by: Bob Henson - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 15:20 UTC

Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°24+ wrote:

> Bob Henson wrote:
> <snipped>
>> I'm not that keen on old age - but it's marginally better than the
>> alternative :-)
>>
> You don't really know though. I'm guessing like me that you haven't
> tried the alternative. I'd love to own and drive a Ferrari, Lamborghini
> and Maclaren P but I might not like them. Fortunately I am very content
> with my 22 year old Celica 1.8 VVTi Coupe. It has close ratio 6
> gearbox and the engine dishes out 141 bhp so could easily top the 100
> mph if I ever wanted to. It's only covered ~90,000 miles too.
>
> Here it is on the forecourt 2011
> http://www.roseofwhite.plus.com/NewCelica3.jpg and here's the driving
> position http://www.roseofwhite.plus.com/NewCelica5.jpg
>
> I owned the previous model before that, which I reckoned drove like a
> executive car. When I bought the one I have now I reckon it's more of
> an executive toy and is always trying to persuade you drive to the
> nearest and have a good play. I feel just a tad too old and decrepit
> to do that any more.

Very nice. I nearly bought one many years ago, but I finished up with an
Escort RS2000. I couldn't get quite down to your seat height now - I had to
switch to SUVs / 4x4s years ago because of the arthritis. We've now got a
Ssangyong Tivoli Ultimate which is quite comfortable and ridiculously good
value for money, considering it has all the electronic gadgets I like.
Routine for startup on mornings like today (Sue driving until I get my
other hand back) is to turn on the electric seat heaters, the electric
steering wheel heater, everything I can find on the dashboard that turns on
heat and window/mirror demisters and start from there. One that differs - I
also turn off the stupid thing that turns off the engine every time you
stop moving.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

It doesn't matter if your glass is half-empty or half full - just fill it
up and drink.

Re: GMT Thursday 29th February 2024

<rkas6kbp0u6g.tpd5bibureff$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6515&group=uk.people.silversurfers#6515

From: bob.hen...@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 15:24:48 +0000
 by: Bob Henson - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 15:24 UTC

Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°24+ wrote:

> Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°24+ wrote:
>> Bob Henson wrote:
>> <snipped>
>>> I'm not that keen on old age - but it's marginally better than the
>>> alternative :-)
>>>
>> You don't really know though. I'm guessing like me that you haven't
>> tried the alternative. I'd love to own and drive a Ferrari,
>> Lamborghini and Maclaren P but I might not like them. Fortunately I
>> am very content with my 22 year old Celica 1.8 VVTi Coupe. It has
>> close ratio 6 gearbox and the engine dishes out 141 bhp so could
>> easily top the 100 mph if I ever wanted to. It's only covered
>> ~90,000 miles too.
>> Here it is on the forecourt 2011
>> http://www.roseofwhite.plus.com/NewCelica3.jpg and here's the driving
>> position http://www.roseofwhite.plus.com/NewCelica5.jpg
>> I owned the previous model before that, which I reckoned drove like a
>> executive car. When I bought the one I have now I reckon it's more
>> of an executive toy and is always trying to persuade you drive to the
>> nearest and have a good play. I feel just a tad too old and decrepit
>> to do that any more.
>
> Whoops!!! I don't know why but you may have to copy and paste the
> links to your browser's address box. :(

Your sites certificate wasn't correct, and it wasn't https, so everything
barfed here - browser, antivirus, the lot. I ignored them.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

Foreign Aid - The transfer of money from poor people in rich countries to
rich people in poor countries.

Re: GMT Thursday 29th February 2024

<us5odc$3dm88$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6517&group=uk.people.silversurfers#6517

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 00:18:50 +0000
 by: Indy Jess John - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 00:18 UTC

On 04/03/2024 11:42, Flyi�g �u� 2�24+ wrote:
> Bob Henson wrote:
> <snipped>
>> I'm not that keen on old age - but it's marginally better than the
>> alternative :-)
>>
> You don't really know though. I'm guessing like me that you haven't
> tried the alternative. I'd love to own and drive a Ferrari, Lamborghini
> and Maclaren P but I might not like them. Fortunately I am very content
> with my 22 year old Celica 1.8 VVTi Coupe. It has close ratio 6
> gearbox and the engine dishes out 141 bhp so could easily top the 100
> mph if I ever wanted to. It's only covered ~90,000 miles too.
>
> Here it is on the forecourt 2011
> http://www.roseofwhite.plus.com/NewCelica3.jpg and here's the driving
> position http://www.roseofwhite.plus.com/NewCelica5.jpg
>
> I owned the previous model before that, which I reckoned drove like a
> executive car. When I bought the one I have now I reckon it's more of
> an executive toy and is always trying to persuade you drive to the
> nearest and have a good play. I feel just a tad too old and decrepit
> to do that any more.

It is a nice car, but a bit too new for me! This is my current
runaround. https://www.dropbox.com/s/53utefvdznqlog7/Maurice.jpg?dl=0
It is quite a nice car which I bought 19 years ago, but it is not really
designed for motorway driving. I have a spare car for that
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fo2p9jk2axsbew1/Triumph.jpg?dl=0
I bought it 23 years ago because it was ideal when I was visiting a
mother living 130 miles away and a sister living 250 miles away from
where I am living, but I hardly use it now; it is just a spare for when
the Morris needs mending. It has covered 8 miles in the last 12 months.

This is my favourite of all the cars I have owned.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s3qj1hpc16575qn/mayflower.jpg?dl=0
(I am the scruff on the right of the photo in about 1969). Me and my two
friends got to John O'groats in it with no problems, having started from
London. We then toured Scotland (and replaced the dynamo brushes on the
Isle of Skye) before touring Wales on the way back to London. A
fortnight's camping holiday, covering just over 2,300 miles!

My next favourite (no photo) was a 1964 Rover 3 Litre Coupe I bought in
1975. It was wonderfully versatile, happy pottering at 20mph in top
gear and equally happy hurrying down a motorway at 100+mph (no speed
cameras in those days). Unfortunately I then bought a house with a
mortgage and got married and could no longer afford the 16MPG I was
getting commuting to and from work in the rush hour traffic each day. I
have always regretted selling it to keep a roof over our heads as the
mortgage interest rates went up and up in the Thatcher years. :-(

Jim

Re: GMT Thursday 29th February 2024

<l4obqoFc90hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6518&group=uk.people.silversurfers#6518

From: littleli...@hotmail.com (kat)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 10:52:09 +0000
 by: kat - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 10:52 UTC

On 04/03/2024 15:24, Bob Henson wrote:
> Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°24+ wrote:
>
>> Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°24+ wrote:
>>> Bob Henson wrote:
>>> <snipped>
>>>>
>>> You don't really know though. I'm guessing like me that you haven't
>>> tried the alternative. I'd love to own and drive a Ferrari,
>>> Lamborghini and Maclaren P but I might not like them. Fortunately I
>>> am very content with my 22 year old Celica 1.8 VVTi Coupe. It has
>>> close ratio 6 gearbox and the engine dishes out 141 bhp so could
>>> easily top the 100 mph if I ever wanted to. It's only covered
>>> ~90,000 miles too.
>>> Here it is on the forecourt 2011
>>> http://www.roseofwhite.plus.com/NewCelica3.jpg and here's the driving
>>> position http://www.roseofwhite.plus.com/NewCelica5.jpg
>>> I owned the previous model before that, which I reckoned drove like a
>>> executive car. When I bought the one I have now I reckon it's more
>>> of an executive toy and is always trying to persuade you drive to the
>>> nearest and have a good play. I feel just a tad too old and decrepit
>>> to do that any more.
>>
>> Whoops!!! I don't know why but you may have to copy and paste the
>> links to your browser's address box. :(
>
> Your sites certificate wasn't correct, and it wasn't https, so everything
> barfed here - browser, antivirus, the lot. I ignored them.

I had no problem this morning. Click worked too.
--
kat
>^..^<

Re: GMT Thursday 29th February 2024

<l4okomFdl02U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6520&group=uk.people.silversurfers#6520

From: flying...@roseofwhite.plus.com (Flyi?g ?u? 2?24+)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 13:24:40 -0000
 by: Flyi?g ?u? 2?24+ - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 13:24 UTC

Bob Henson wrote:
> Flyi�g �u� 2�24+ wrote:
>
>> Flyi�g �u� 2�24+ wrote:
>>> Bob Henson wrote:
>>> <snipped>
>>>>
>>> You don't really know though. I'm guessing like me that you haven't
>>> tried the alternative. I'd love to own and drive a Ferrari,
>>> Lamborghini and Maclaren P but I might not like them. Fortunately I
>>> am very content with my 22 year old Celica 1.8 VVTi Coupe. It has
>>> close ratio 6 gearbox and the engine dishes out 141 bhp so could
>>> easily top the 100 mph if I ever wanted to. It's only covered
>>> ~90,000 miles too.
>>> Here it is on the forecourt 2011
>>> http://www.roseofwhite.plus.com/NewCelica3.jpg and here's the
>>> driving position
>>> http://www.roseofwhite.plus.com/NewCelica5.jpg I owned the previous
>>> model before that, which I reckoned drove like a executive car.
>>> When I bought the one I have now I reckon it's more of an executive
>>> toy and is always trying to persuade you drive to the nearest and
>>> have a good play. I feel just a tad too old and decrepit to do
>>> that any more.
>>
>> Whoops!!! I don't know why but you may have to copy and paste the
>> links to your browser's address box. :(
>
> Your sites certificate wasn't correct, and it wasn't https, so
> everything barfed here - browser, antivirus, the lot. I ignored them.

Sorry about that. I hadn't used that link since I first uploaded the
picture back in 2011. Things have changed a bit since the. and I'm
still using my old XP computer most of the time.