From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Italian EE shunter.
Date: 16 Sep 2023 16:49:22 GMT
 by: Marland - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 16:49 UTC

Being Pixie lead my missus calls it, occurs when I decide to do look at
something on you tube etc and get diverted .
Today I ended up looking at some 1970’s footage of the Italian 3 Phase
electrics which i have always found fascinating since seeing them when
young on a holiday.Today though there was a second or two of the familiar
outline of an EE Shunter.
About 2.40 in on this clip
<https://youtu.be/QnUgsd1SiT4?si=rRobJ7HjThkdZdkW>

Presumably this was one of the WD ones that never came back which were
based on the LMS design.

I believe a handful remained in industrial use till more recent times,
anyone know if any survive?

GH

Re: Italian EE shunter.

<m6sbgipsb8dubbihi4s1mvl5ahd29b1dnc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65217&group=uk.railway#65217

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Italian EE shunter.
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 19:16:47 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 18:16 UTC

On 16 Sep 2023 16:49:22 GMT, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk>
wrote:

>Being Pixie lead my missus calls it, occurs when I decide to do look at
>something on you tube etc and get diverted .
>Today I ended up looking at some 1970’s footage of the Italian 3 Phase
>electrics which i have always found fascinating since seeing them when
>young on a holiday.Today though there was a second or two of the familiar
>outline of an EE Shunter.
>About 2.40 in on this clip
><https://youtu.be/QnUgsd1SiT4?si=rRobJ7HjThkdZdkW>
>
>Presumably this was one of the WD ones that never came back which were
>based on the LMS design.
>
>I believe a handful remained in industrial use till more recent times,
>anyone know if any survive?

IIRC a lot were simply exported anyway without the help of a war.

Re: Italian EE shunter.

<ue6mcj$bdqi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65258&group=uk.railway#65258

From: rai...@greystane.shetland.co.uk (ColinR)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 12:02:46 +0100
 by: ColinR - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 11:02 UTC

On 16/09/2023 17:49, Marland wrote:

> Being Pixie lead my missus calls it, occurs when I decide to do look at
> something on you tube etc and get diverted .
> Today I ended up looking at some 1970’s footage of the Italian 3 Phase
> electrics which i have always found fascinating since seeing them when
> young on a holiday.Today though there was a second or two of the familiar
> outline of an EE Shunter.
> About 2.40 in on this clip
> <https://youtu.be/QnUgsd1SiT4?si=rRobJ7HjThkdZdkW>
>
> Presumably this was one of the WD ones that never came back which were
> based on the LMS design.
>
> I believe a handful remained in industrial use till more recent times,
> anyone know if any survive?
>
> GH

Fascinating video! Thanks.

One oddity that I saw, several times (e.g. 20s) there were locos with
tram-like pantographs but on a main line loco. Very odd.

--
Colin

Re: Italian EE shunter.

<kmolptFm4p6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65294&group=uk.railway#65294

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 17 Sep 2023 15:54:38 GMT
 by: Marland - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 15:54 UTC

ColinR <rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk> wrote:
> On 16/09/2023 17:49, Marland wrote:
>>
>> Being Pixie lead my missus calls it, occurs when I decide to do look at
>> something on you tube etc and get diverted .
>> Today I ended up looking at some 1970’s footage of the Italian 3 Phase
>> electrics which i have always found fascinating since seeing them when
>> young on a holiday.Today though there was a second or two of the familiar
>> outline of an EE Shunter.
>> About 2.40 in on this clip
>> <https://youtu.be/QnUgsd1SiT4?si=rRobJ7HjThkdZdkW>
>>
>> Presumably this was one of the WD ones that never came back which were
>> based on the LMS design.
>>
>> I believe a handful remained in industrial use till more recent times,
>> anyone know if any survive?
>>
>> GH
>
> Fascinating video! Thanks.
>
> One oddity that I saw, several times (e.g. 20s) there were locos with
> tram-like pantographs but on a main line loco. Very odd.

The collection arrangements for the 3 phases locos always look a bit
strange with their long booms
or pantographs with two collecting segments. The system at points had to
have long isolated sections to keep two phases separated (the 3rd was on
the rails) so the long booms were needed
to avoid gapping. The steam emitting from them was because of water cooling
of the resistances
so you had the strange sight of electric locos regularly taking on water
from water columns like steam locos. If history had played out differently
we would have seen a similar system on the sub surface lines in London but
Yerkes purchase of the District Railway meant that was done with DC and
live rails
and the Met followed suit.

GH

Re: Italian EE shunter.

<ue9jjb$1p90k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65348&group=uk.railway#65348

From: rai...@greystane.shetland.co.uk (ColinR)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 14:33:35 +0100
 by: ColinR - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 13:33 UTC

On 17/09/2023 16:54, Marland wrote:
> ColinR <rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 16/09/2023 17:49, Marland wrote:
>>>
>>> Being Pixie lead my missus calls it, occurs when I decide to do look at
>>> something on you tube etc and get diverted .
>>> Today I ended up looking at some 1970’s footage of the Italian 3 Phase
>>> electrics which i have always found fascinating since seeing them when
>>> young on a holiday.Today though there was a second or two of the familiar
>>> outline of an EE Shunter.
>>> About 2.40 in on this clip
>>> <https://youtu.be/QnUgsd1SiT4?si=rRobJ7HjThkdZdkW>
>>>
>>> Presumably this was one of the WD ones that never came back which were
>>> based on the LMS design.
>>>
>>> I believe a handful remained in industrial use till more recent times,
>>> anyone know if any survive?
>>>
>>> GH
>>
>> Fascinating video! Thanks.
>>
>> One oddity that I saw, several times (e.g. 20s) there were locos with
>> tram-like pantographs but on a main line loco. Very odd.
>>

> The collection arrangements for the 3 phases locos always look a bit
> strange with their long booms
> or pantographs with two collecting segments. The system at points had to
> have long isolated sections to keep two phases separated (the 3rd was on
> the rails) so the long booms were needed
> to avoid gapping. The steam emitting from them was because of water cooling
> of the resistances
> so you had the strange sight of electric locos regularly taking on water
> from water columns like steam locos. If history had played out differently
> we would have seen a similar system on the sub surface lines in London but
> Yerkes purchase of the District Railway meant that was done with DC and
> live rails
> and the Met followed suit.
>
> GH

Thanks