It's NO USE ... I've gone to "CLUB MED"!!

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: Finder Woes

SubjectAuthor
* Finder WoesJohn Hill
+* Finder WoesSnit
|`* Finder WoesJohn Hill
| +* Finder WoesGraham J
| |`- Finder WoesJohn Hill
| `- Finder WoesSnit
+* Finder WoesJaimie Vandenbergh
|+- Finder WoesJaimie Vandenbergh
|`* Finder WoesJohn Hill
| `* Finder WoesJaimie Vandenbergh
|  `- Finder WoesAndy Hewitt
+* Finder WoesAndy Hewitt
|`* Finder WoesJohn Hill
| `* Finder WoesAndy Hewitt
|  +- Finder WoesAlan B
|  `- Finder WoesJohn Hill
`* Finder WoesBruce Horrocks
 `* Finder WoesJohn Hill
  `- Finder WoesDavid Brooks

1
Finder Woes

<sv5268$h56$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6454&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6454

From: watcombe...@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Finder Woes
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 10:27:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 10:27 UTC

I have a 2017 iMac running an up-to-date Big Sur. I am doing some tidying up
of files and folders. This involves a good deal of moving and deleting items.

1) In some places (but not, I think, everywhere), /every f*****g time/ I want
to move or bin an item, I get a notice from Finder saying "Finder wants to
move 'Whatever' to 'Wherever'". How can I put a stop to this nannying? I am
the Admin for this Mac, and the ONLY user. I DO know what I'm doing - I may be
getting on but I'm not gaga yet. We never had this trouble back in the Good
Old Days.

2) Time was, I could double click on a folder in Icon View and it would always
open in new window. Now it opens in a replacement window. An option in Finder
Preferences does give me the option to open in a new tab or a new window if I
right click. Is it possible to make Open in a new window" the default for
double click?

I have other niggles seething away in the background but these will do for
now.

Come on, you power users! What can I do to to fix this?

John.

Mony a mickle makes a muckle

Re: Finder Woes

<i7oRJ.39825$z688.8381@fx35.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6455&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6455

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Finder Woes
From: Brock.Mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 10:37:02 GMT
 by: Snit - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 10:37 UTC

John Hill <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I have a 2017 iMac running an up-to-date Big Sur. I am doing some tidying up
> of files and folders. This involves a good deal of moving and deleting items.
>
> 1) In some places (but not, I think, everywhere), /every f*****g time/ I want
> to move or bin an item, I get a notice from Finder saying "Finder wants to
> move 'Whatever' to 'Wherever'". How can I put a stop to this nannying? I am
> the Admin for this Mac, and the ONLY user. I DO know what I'm doing - I may be
> getting on but I'm not gaga yet. We never had this trouble back in the Good
> Old Days.
>
> 2) Time was, I could double click on a folder in Icon View and it would always
> open in new window. Now it opens in a replacement window. An option in Finder
> Preferences does give me the option to open in a new tab or a new window if I
> right click. Is it possible to make Open in a new window" the default for
> double click?
>
> I have other niggles seething away in the background but these will do for
> now.
>
> Come on, you power users! What can I do to to fix this?
>
> John.
>
> Mony a mickle makes a muckle

What happens if you use a different keyboard or disconnect it and try those
things?

somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Finder Woes

<sv5593$hci$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6456&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6456

From: ycl...@outlook.com (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 11:20:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 11:20 UTC

Snit <Brock.McNuggets@gmail.com> wrote:
> John Hill <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> I have a 2017 iMac running an up-to-date Big Sur. I am doing some tidying up
>> of files and folders. This involves a good deal of moving and deleting items.
>>
>> 1) In some places (but not, I think, everywhere), /every f*****g time/ I want
>> to move or bin an item, I get a notice from Finder saying "Finder wants to
>> move 'Whatever' to 'Wherever'". How can I put a stop to this nannying? I am
>> the Admin for this Mac, and the ONLY user. I DO know what I'm doing - I may be
>> getting on but I'm not gaga yet. We never had this trouble back in the Good
>> Old Days.
>>
>> 2) Time was, I could double click on a folder in Icon View and it would always
>> open in new window. Now it opens in a replacement window. An option in Finder
>> Preferences does give me the option to open in a new tab or a new window if I
>> right click. Is it possible to make Open in a new window" the default for
>> double click?
>>
>> I have other niggles seething away in the background but these will do for
>> now.
>>
>> Come on, you power users! What can I do to to fix this?
>>
>> John.
>>
>> Mony a mickle makes a muckle
>>

> What happens if you use a different keyboard or disconnect it and try those
> things?

I switched the keyboard off and tried both. No difference, except that of
course I was unable to enter my password!

I haven't another keyboard.

John.

--
Winning isn't everything, but losing isn't anything - Snoopy.

Re: Finder Woes

<sv5969$u5d$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6457&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6457

From: nob...@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 12:26:02 +0000
 by: Graham J - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 12:26 UTC

John Hill wrote:

[snip]

>> What happens if you use a different keyboard or disconnect it and try those
>> things?
>>

> I switched the keyboard off and tried both. No difference, except that of
> course I was unable to enter my password!
>
> I haven't another keyboard.

Do you see the same behaviour after a reboot?

I haver some spare USB keyboards, some so well used that the letters
have rubbed off; but they still work. You could borrow one if you're
nearby - I'm not far from Thetford in Norfolk.

--
Graham J

Re: Finder Woes

<j7mo08Fhp57U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6458&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6458

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 23 Feb 2022 12:35:20 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 12:35 UTC

On 23 Feb 2022 at 10:27:20 GMT, "John Hill" <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> I have a 2017 iMac running an up-to-date Big Sur. I am doing some tidying up
> of files and folders. This involves a good deal of moving and deleting items.
>
> 1) In some places (but not, I think, everywhere), /every f*****g time/ I want
> to move or bin an item, I get a notice from Finder saying "Finder wants to
> move 'Whatever' to 'Wherever'". How can I put a stop to this nannying? I am
> the Admin for this Mac, and the ONLY user. I DO know what I'm doing - I may be
> getting on but I'm not gaga yet. We never had this trouble back in the Good
> Old Days.

In the good old days any random malware could trash your entire system.

You can give Finder global permission: Go to system prefs, security &
privacy, scroll down to the Full Disk Access on the left. Click the
padlock bottom left, then the [+] on the right and add Finder. You need
to dig for it - it's in /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder

Hit quit&reopen and see if that sorts it out. I'd suggest going back to
Full Disk Access and turning that off again once you've done rearranging
things.

> 2) Time was, I could double click on a folder in Icon View and it would always
> open in new window. Now it opens in a replacement window. An option in Finder
> Preferences does give me the option to open in a new tab or a new window if I
> right click. Is it possible to make Open in a new window" the default for
> double click?

Official workaround: option-doubleclick a folder that'll open it a new
window.

But there is a peculiar way to persuade Finder to default to new window:
hide the sidebar in Icon view. The keyboard shortcut for toggling it is
cmd-opt-T, hit that and the now naked Finder window will open folders
into new naked Finder windows.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
IIS is still popular in the public sector, where the two
highest priorities in IT are unfitness for purpose

Re: Finder Woes

<j7mo68Fhq57U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6459&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6459

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 23 Feb 2022 12:38:32 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 12:38 UTC

On 23 Feb 2022 at 12:35:20 GMT, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
<jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

> On 23 Feb 2022 at 10:27:20 GMT, "John Hill" <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> I have a 2017 iMac running an up-to-date Big Sur. I am doing some tidying up
>> of files and folders. This involves a good deal of moving and deleting items.
>>
>> 1) In some places (but not, I think, everywhere), /every f*****g time/ I want
>> to move or bin an item, I get a notice from Finder saying "Finder wants to
>> move 'Whatever' to 'Wherever'". How can I put a stop to this nannying? I am
>> the Admin for this Mac, and the ONLY user. I DO know what I'm doing - I may be
>> getting on but I'm not gaga yet. We never had this trouble back in the Good
>> Old Days.
>
> In the good old days any random malware could trash your entire system.
>
> You can give Finder global permission: Go to system prefs, security &
> privacy, scroll down to the Full Disk Access on the left. Click the
> padlock bottom left, then the [+] on the right and add Finder. You need
> to dig for it - it's in /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder
>
> Hit quit&reopen and see if that sorts it out. I'd suggest going back to
> Full Disk Access and turning that off again once you've done rearranging
> things.
>
>> 2) Time was, I could double click on a folder in Icon View and it would always
>> open in new window. Now it opens in a replacement window. An option in Finder
>> Preferences does give me the option to open in a new tab or a new window if I
>> right click. Is it possible to make Open in a new window" the default for
>> double click?
>
> Official workaround: option-doubleclick a folder that'll open it a new
> window.

Bah. Command-doubleclick, sorry. (And it doesn't work in columns view)

--
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo
- H G Wells

Re: Finder Woes

<sv5f02$sjs$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6461&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6461

From: watcombe...@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 14:05:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 14:05 UTC

On 23 Feb 2022 at 12:35:20 GMT, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
<jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

> On 23 Feb 2022 at 10:27:20 GMT, "John Hill" <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> I have a 2017 iMac running an up-to-date Big Sur. I am doing some tidying up
>> of files and folders. This involves a good deal of moving and deleting items.
>>
>> 1) In some places (but not, I think, everywhere), /every f*****g time/ I want
>> to move or bin an item, I get a notice from Finder saying "Finder wants to
>> move 'Whatever' to 'Wherever'". How can I put a stop to this nannying? I am
>> the Admin for this Mac, and the ONLY user. I DO know what I'm doing - I may be
>> getting on but I'm not gaga yet. We never had this trouble back in the Good
>> Old Days.
>
> In the good old days any random malware could trash your entire system.
>
> You can give Finder global permission: Go to system prefs, security &
> privacy, scroll down to the Full Disk Access on the left. Click the
> padlock bottom left, then the [+] on the right and add Finder. You need
> to dig for it - it's in /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder
>
> Hit quit&reopen and see if that sorts it out. I'd suggest going back to
> Full Disk Access and turning that off again once you've done rearranging
> things.

No, sorry, Finder has full disk access and STILL asks for permission :-(
And that is after a full reboot.
Drat.

>> 2) Time was, I could double click on a folder in Icon View and it would always
>> open in new window. Now it opens in a replacement window. An option in Finder
>> Preferences does give me the option to open in a new tab or a new window if I
>> right click. Is it possible to make Open in a new window" the default for
>> double click?
>
> Official workaround: option-doubleclick a folder that'll open it a new
> window.

That works! (Using Command-doubleclick, of course). Much easier than
right-click, select option.

> But there is a peculiar way to persuade Finder to default to new window:
> hide the sidebar in Icon view. The keyboard shortcut for toggling it is
> cmd-opt-T, hit that and the now naked Finder window will open folders
> into new naked Finder windows.

Yes, that works too. Sneaky! I only use Icon and List views so Column view is
not a problem.

--
Mony a mickle makes a muckle

Re: Finder Woes

<sv5f3t$v1h$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6462&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6462

From: watcombe...@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 14:07:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 14:07 UTC

On 23 Feb 2022 at 12:26:02 GMT, "Graham J" <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> John Hill wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>>> What happens if you use a different keyboard or disconnect it and try those
>>> things?
>>>

>> I switched the keyboard off and tried both. No difference, except that of
>> course I was unable to enter my password!
>>
>> I haven't another keyboard.
>
> Do you see the same behaviour after a reboot?
>
> I haver some spare USB keyboards, some so well used that the letters
> have rubbed off; but they still work. You could borrow one if you're
> nearby - I'm not far from Thetford in Norfolk.

Alas, I live in East Dorset. But I cannot for the life of me see how either my
problems could be keyboard related, especially as I have a bog-standard Apple
keyboard.

John.

--
An infinitely complex system can fail in an infinite number of ways.

Re: Finder Woes

<sv5lo1$bqm$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6464&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6464

From: thewildr...@icloud.com (Andy Hewitt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 16:01:04 +0000
 by: Andy Hewitt - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 16:01 UTC

On 23/02/2022 10:27, John Hill wrote:
> I have a 2017 iMac running an up-to-date Big Sur. I am doing some tidying up
> of files and folders. This involves a good deal of moving and deleting items.
>
> 1) In some places (but not, I think, everywhere), /every f*****g time/ I want
> to move or bin an item, I get a notice from Finder saying "Finder wants to
> move 'Whatever' to 'Wherever'". How can I put a stop to this nannying? I am
> the Admin for this Mac, and the ONLY user. I DO know what I'm doing - I may be
> getting on but I'm not gaga yet. We never had this trouble back in the Good
> Old Days.

Are you moving stuff outside the User folders? If so, then yeah, it asks
you to confirm with the password. Inside your own User folder it should
just happen, so that might suggest your permissions have got screwed up
somewhere.

> 2) Time was, I could double click on a folder in Icon View and it would always
> open in new window. Now it opens in a replacement window. An option in Finder
> Preferences does give me the option to open in a new tab or a new window if I
> right click. Is it possible to make Open in a new window" the default for
> double click?

Not sure I understand the problem there? I'm not seeing the different
between 'replacement' window and 'new' window.

Is it opening in the same window or a new window?

I don't see this myself as I mostly use Column view.

Have a look at Onyx and see if that has a setting you can tweak, it's
just a GUI for command line stuff, but does make things much easier.

https://titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

--
Andy H

Re: Finder Woes

<yluRJ.47683$yi_7.29481@fx39.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6472&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6472

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Brock.Mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 17:41:50 GMT
 by: Snit - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 17:41 UTC

John Hill <yclept@outlook.com> wrote:
> Snit <Brock.McNuggets@gmail.com> wrote:
>> John Hill <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>> I have a 2017 iMac running an up-to-date Big Sur. I am doing some tidying up
>>> of files and folders. This involves a good deal of moving and deleting items.
>>>
>>> 1) In some places (but not, I think, everywhere), /every f*****g time/ I want
>>> to move or bin an item, I get a notice from Finder saying "Finder wants to
>>> move 'Whatever' to 'Wherever'". How can I put a stop to this nannying? I am
>>> the Admin for this Mac, and the ONLY user. I DO know what I'm doing - I may be
>>> getting on but I'm not gaga yet. We never had this trouble back in the Good
>>> Old Days.
>>>
>>> 2) Time was, I could double click on a folder in Icon View and it would always
>>> open in new window. Now it opens in a replacement window. An option in Finder
>>> Preferences does give me the option to open in a new tab or a new window if I
>>> right click. Is it possible to make Open in a new window" the default for
>>> double click?
>>>
>>> I have other niggles seething away in the background but these will do for
>>> now.
>>>
>>> Come on, you power users! What can I do to to fix this?
>>>
>>> John.
>>>
>>> Mony a mickle makes a muckle
>>>

>> What happens if you use a different keyboard or disconnect it and try those
>> things?
>>

> I switched the keyboard off and tried both. No difference, except that of
> course I was unable to enter my password!
>
> I haven't another keyboard.
>
> John.

Thanks. My first thought was a key stuck down — but that does not seem to
be the case.

somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Finder Woes

<bc77ea87-d2cf-49f8-a3be-d96bba758b94@scorecrow.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6473&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6473

From: 07....@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 18:19:20 +0000
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 18:19 UTC

On 23/02/2022 10:27, John Hill wrote:
> I have a 2017 iMac running an up-to-date Big Sur. I am doing some tidying up
> of files and folders. This involves a good deal of moving and deleting items.
>
> 1) In some places (but not, I think, everywhere), /every f*****g time/ I want
> to move or bin an item, I get a notice from Finder saying "Finder wants to
> move 'Whatever' to 'Wherever'". How can I put a stop to this nannying? I am
> the Admin for this Mac, and the ONLY user. I DO know what I'm doing - I may be
> getting on but I'm not gaga yet. We never had this trouble back in the Good
> Old Days.

No idea. Doesn't do that for me. Andy's suggestion further down that
you're moving from one device to another might be it.

> 2) Time was, I could double click on a folder in Icon View and it would always
> open in new window. Now it opens in a replacement window. An option in Finder
> Preferences does give me the option to open in a new tab or a new window if I
> right click. Is it possible to make Open in a new window" the default for
> double click?

By "replacement window" do you mean the same window, replacing the
previous contents?

The default of opening a new window was removed when Finder tabs were
introduced: Finder -> Preferences -> General -> Open folders in tabs
instead of new windows

As someone else said, it's now a Cmd-double click action.

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Re: Finder Woes

<sv5uoe$dnc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6474&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6474

From: watcombe...@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 18:34:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 18:34 UTC

On 23 Feb 2022 at 16:01:04 GMT, "Andy Hewitt" <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:

> On 23/02/2022 10:27, John Hill wrote:
>> I have a 2017 iMac running an up-to-date Big Sur. I am doing some tidying up
>> of files and folders. This involves a good deal of moving and deleting items.
>>
>> 1) In some places (but not, I think, everywhere), /every f*****g time/ I want
>> to move or bin an item, I get a notice from Finder saying "Finder wants to
>> move 'Whatever' to 'Wherever'". How can I put a stop to this nannying? I am
>> the Admin for this Mac, and the ONLY user. I DO know what I'm doing - I may be
>> getting on but I'm not gaga yet. We never had this trouble back in the Good
>> Old Days.
>
> Are you moving stuff outside the User folders? If so, then yeah, it asks
> you to confirm with the password. Inside your own User folder it should
> just happen, so that might suggest your permissions have got screwed up
> somewhere.

Everything is happening inside the Downloads folder, so well aside the User
folder. I'm not "au fait" with permissions, what should I be looking for?

>> 2) Time was, I could double click on a folder in Icon View and it would always
>> open in new window. Now it opens in a replacement window. An option in Finder
>> Preferences does give me the option to open in a new tab or a new window if I
>> right click. Is it possible to make Open in a new window" the default for
>> double click?
>
> Not sure I understand the problem there? I'm not seeing the different
> between 'replacement' window and 'new' window.
>
> Is it opening in the same window or a new window?

Effectively in the same window, but thanks to Jamie I now have this under
control. I can live with what I've got.

> I don't see this myself as I mostly use Column view.
>
> Have a look at Onyx and see if that has a setting you can tweak, it's
> just a GUI for command line stuff, but does make things much easier.
>
> https://titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

John.

--
Frustra fit per plura, quod potest fieri per pauciora - William of Occam

Re: Finder Woes

<j7nhenFmk91U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6477&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6477

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 23 Feb 2022 19:49:43 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 19:49 UTC

On 23 Feb 2022 at 14:05:54 GMT, "John Hill" <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 23 Feb 2022 at 12:35:20 GMT, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
> <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>
>> On 23 Feb 2022 at 10:27:20 GMT, "John Hill" <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a 2017 iMac running an up-to-date Big Sur. I am doing some tidying up
>>> of files and folders. This involves a good deal of moving and deleting items.
>>>
>>> 1) In some places (but not, I think, everywhere), /every f*****g time/ I want
>>> to move or bin an item, I get a notice from Finder saying "Finder wants to
>>> move 'Whatever' to 'Wherever'". How can I put a stop to this nannying? I am
>>> the Admin for this Mac, and the ONLY user. I DO know what I'm doing - I may be
>>> getting on but I'm not gaga yet. We never had this trouble back in the Good
>>> Old Days.
>>
>> In the good old days any random malware could trash your entire system.
>>
>> You can give Finder global permission: Go to system prefs, security &
>> privacy, scroll down to the Full Disk Access on the left. Click the
>> padlock bottom left, then the [+] on the right and add Finder. You need
>> to dig for it - it's in /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder
>>
>> Hit quit&reopen and see if that sorts it out. I'd suggest going back to
>> Full Disk Access and turning that off again once you've done rearranging
>> things.
>
> No, sorry, Finder has full disk access and STILL asks for permission :-(

That's pretty weird. The only place Finder asks permission for me each
time is in /Applications. I wonder what's happened with yours?

> Yes, that works too. Sneaky! I only use Icon and List views so Column view is
> not a problem.

Hurray!

Cheers - Jaimie

--
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

Re: Finder Woes

<sv63tm$sep$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6478&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6478

From: ycl...@outlook.com (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 20:03:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 20:03 UTC

Bruce Horrocks <07.013@scorecrow.com> wrote:
> On 23/02/2022 10:27, John Hill wrote:
>> I have a 2017 iMac running an up-to-date Big Sur. I am doing some tidying up
>> of files and folders. This involves a good deal of moving and deleting items.
>>
>> 1) In some places (but not, I think, everywhere), /every f*****g time/ I want
>> to move or bin an item, I get a notice from Finder saying "Finder wants to
>> move 'Whatever' to 'Wherever'". How can I put a stop to this nannying? I am
>> the Admin for this Mac, and the ONLY user. I DO know what I'm doing - I may be
>> getting on but I'm not gaga yet. We never had this trouble back in the Good
>> Old Days.
>
> No idea. Doesn't do that for me. Andy's suggestion further down that
> you're moving from one device to another might be it.

Doesn't do it for my wife, nor for my daughter on Monterey. We all have
that same model iMac.
It's just me, so must be something changed on mine.

>> 2) Time was, I could double click on a folder in Icon View and it would always
>> open in new window. Now it opens in a replacement window. An option in Finder
>> Preferences does give me the option to open in a new tab or a new window if I
>> right click. Is it possible to make Open in a new window" the default for
>> double click?
>
> By "replacement window" do you mean the same window, replacing the
> previous contents?

Yes, exactly that.

> The default of opening a new window was removed when Finder tabs were
> introduced: Finder -> Preferences -> General -> Open folders in tabs
> instead of new windows
>
> As someone else said, it's now a Cmd-double click action.
>
>> I have other niggles seething away in the background but these will do for
>> now.
>>
>> Come on, you power users! What can I do to to fix this?

John.

--
Winning isn't everything, but losing isn't anything - Snoopy.

Re: Finder Woes

<N5yRJ.965507$YlU2.298602@fx08.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6493&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6493

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: BDB...@invalid.invalid (David Brooks)
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 21:58:04 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 21:58 UTC

On 23/02/2022 20:03, John Hill wrote:

> Come on, you power users! What can I do to to fix this?

You should upgrade to macOS Monterey, John.

Version 12.2.1

It's working well on my iMac (same as yours!)

Re: Finder Woes

<sv6d2n$u11$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6511&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6511

From: thewildr...@icloud.com (Andy Hewitt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 22:39:17 +0000
 by: Andy Hewitt - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 22:39 UTC

On 23/02/2022 18:34, John Hill wrote:
> On 23 Feb 2022 at 16:01:04 GMT, "Andy Hewitt" <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:
>
>> On 23/02/2022 10:27, John Hill wrote:
>>> I have a 2017 iMac running an up-to-date Big Sur. I am doing some tidying up
>>> of files and folders. This involves a good deal of moving and deleting items.
>>>
>>> 1) In some places (but not, I think, everywhere), /every f*****g time/ I want
>>> to move or bin an item, I get a notice from Finder saying "Finder wants to
>>> move 'Whatever' to 'Wherever'". How can I put a stop to this nannying? I am
>>> the Admin for this Mac, and the ONLY user. I DO know what I'm doing - I may be
>>> getting on but I'm not gaga yet. We never had this trouble back in the Good
>>> Old Days.
>>
>> Are you moving stuff outside the User folders? If so, then yeah, it asks
>> you to confirm with the password. Inside your own User folder it should
>> just happen, so that might suggest your permissions have got screwed up
>> somewhere.
>
> Everything is happening inside the Downloads folder, so well aside the User
> folder. I'm not "au fait" with permissions, what should I be looking for?

It's a marker that the system uses that allows or blocks various users
access to certain files. It can apply to folders, sub-folders and
individual files.

It's possible that these can get incorrectly applied at times, although
much rarer these days.

If you do a Get Info (Command-I) on a file or folder, at the bottom is
listed the permissions, it should say who can read/write to that
particular item.

There's more detail to this if you start getting into the command line
stuff though.

If you're working inside your own user folder, this shouldn't be
happening, and you seem to have issues with your user account.

--
Andy H

Re: Finder Woes

<sv6d6j$u11$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6512&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6512

From: thewildr...@icloud.com (Andy Hewitt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 22:41:21 +0000
 by: Andy Hewitt - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 22:41 UTC

On 23/02/2022 19:49, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> On 23 Feb 2022 at 14:05:54 GMT, "John Hill" <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> On 23 Feb 2022 at 12:35:20 GMT, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
>> <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

>>> In the good old days any random malware could trash your entire system.
>>>
>>> You can give Finder global permission: Go to system prefs, security &
>>> privacy, scroll down to the Full Disk Access on the left. Click the
>>> padlock bottom left, then the [+] on the right and add Finder. You need
>>> to dig for it - it's in /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder
>>>
>>> Hit quit&reopen and see if that sorts it out. I'd suggest going back to
>>> Full Disk Access and turning that off again once you've done rearranging
>>> things.
>>
>> No, sorry, Finder has full disk access and STILL asks for permission :-(
>
> That's pretty weird. The only place Finder asks permission for me each
> time is in /Applications. I wonder what's happened with yours?

For me that generally seems to vary whether an app has been installed
manually, or if it's been installed from the App Store - the latter
always needs the admin password for any deletion process.

--
Andy H

Re: Finder Woes

<sv7bmj$f9$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6529&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6529

From: alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 07:21:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 07:21 UTC

Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:
> On 23/02/2022 18:34, John Hill wrote:

>>> Are you moving stuff outside the User folders? If so, then yeah, it asks
>>> you to confirm with the password. Inside your own User folder it should
>>> just happen, so that might suggest your permissions have got screwed up
>>> somewhere.
>>
>> Everything is happening inside the Downloads folder, so well aside the User
>> folder. I'm not "au fait" with permissions, what should I be looking for?
>
> It's a marker that the system uses that allows or blocks various users
> access to certain files. It can apply to folders, sub-folders and
> individual files.
>
> It's possible that these can get incorrectly applied at times, although
> much rarer these days.
>
> If you do a Get Info (Command-I) on a file or folder, at the bottom is
> listed the permissions, it should say who can read/write to that
> particular item.
>
> There's more detail to this if you start getting into the command line
> stuff though.
>
> If you're working inside your own user folder, this shouldn't be
> happening, and you seem to have issues with your user account.

It would be interesting to see what the situation is if John were to create
a (temporary) new user on his system. This might then rule out a system
wide problem. Maybe it’s something connected to Access Control Lists? I’ve
just spotted an article about the latter on the eclectic site.

<https://eclecticlight.co/2022/02/16/permissions-and-acls/>

I accept my thoughts could be a total red herring!!!

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Finder Woes

<sv7e7u$hp4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6533&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6533

From: watcombe...@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 08:05:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 08:05 UTC

On 23 Feb 2022 at 22:39:17 GMT, "Andy Hewitt" <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:

> On 23/02/2022 18:34, John Hill wrote:

>>> Are you moving stuff outside the User folders? If so, then yeah, it asks
>>> you to confirm with the password. Inside your own User folder it should
>>> just happen, so that might suggest your permissions have got screwed up
>>> somewhere.
>>
>> Everything is happening inside the Downloads folder, so well aside the User
>> folder. I'm not "au fait" with permissions, what should I be looking for?
>
> It's a marker that the system uses that allows or blocks various users
> access to certain files. It can apply to folders, sub-folders and
> individual files.
>
> It's possible that these can get incorrectly applied at times, although
> much rarer these days.
>
> If you do a Get Info (Command-I) on a file or folder, at the bottom is
> listed the permissions, it should say who can read/write to that
> particular item.
>
> There's more detail to this if you start getting into the command line
> stuff though.
>
> If you're working inside your own user folder, this shouldn't be
> happening, and you seem to have issues with your user account.

That seems to be the key! The suspect files have permissions:
everyone: custom
Com.apple.sh..: Custom
Johnhill (me): Read and Write
Everyone: Read Only.

This is definitely abnormal.

If I change the first two to Read Only, the files behave normally.

The whole group of stuff came by email from a Windows machine about ten years
ago. How or why they got into this site, I have no idea. But now I know what
the problem is, I can handle it.

May blessings on you fall! Once again, ukcsm has come to my rescue.

To all of you who contributed suggestions and ideas, thank you.

John.

--
God made the integers; all else is the work of man.