Peace be to this house, and all that dwell in it.

aus+uk / uk.comp.os.linux / Re: Using Fedora mediawriter to create a bootable image from an ISO

SubjectAuthor
* Using Fedora mediawriter to create a bootable image from an ISOMartin Gregorie
+* Re: Using Fedora mediawriter to create a bootable image from an ISOgrinch
|`- Re: Using Fedora mediawriter to create a bootable image from an ISOMartin Gregorie
+* Re: Using Fedora mediawriter to create a bootable image from an ISOdruck
|+* Re: Using Fedora mediawriter to create a bootable image from an ISOMartin Gregorie
||`- Re: Using Fedora mediawriter to create a bootable image from an ISOdruck
|`- Re: Using Fedora mediawriter to create a bootable image from an ISOVincent Coen
`* Re: Using Fedora mediawriter to create a bootable image from an ISOTheo
 `* Re: Using Fedora mediawriter to create a bootable image from an ISOMartin Gregorie
  `* Re: Using Fedora mediawriter to create a bootable image from an ISOTheo
   `- Re: Using Fedora mediawriter to create a bootable image from an ISOMartin Gregorie

1
Using Fedora mediawriter to create a bootable image from an ISO

<t0dfp2$72l$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=653&group=uk.comp.os.linux#653

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux, comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: Using Fedora mediawriter to create a bootable image from an ISO
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 18:24:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 18:24 UTC

Has anybody successfully used Fedora's mediawriter to set up a bootable
image from a downloaded iso image?

Thanks to a bit of finger trouble, I need a bootable image of the XFCE
spin of Fedora 35 (x86_64) for an old Lenovo r61i using an Intel i3 chip.
So far I haven't done anything more to its disk (a 128GB SSD) which it
can't boot from due to the aforementioned finger trouble.

I successfully downloaded an ISO containing the XFCE spin of Fedora 35
but, because the ISO is 3.5 GB, it won't fit on a writable CD. I have a
USB-connected CD writer and mediawriter is bright enough to not even try
writing to it.

The mediawriter program, which I'd just downloaded, claims to be able to
write a bootable image to any USB-connected device, so I stuck a 4GB SD
card in a USB-connected SD reader and mediawriter reported no problems
when writing the ISO image to the SD card on my Lenovo T440, but the r61i
only blinks the LED on the SD reader tries to boot off the buggered image
on the SSD.

Since mediawriter has no help display (--help does nothing) or manpage
I'm temporarily out of ideas, so any suggestions will be gratefully
received.

Re: Using Fedora mediawriter to create a bootable image from an ISO

<t0dik7$qq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=654&group=uk.comp.os.linux#654

From: gri...@somewhere.com (grinch)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 19:13:11 +0000
 by: grinch - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 19:13 UTC

On 10/03/2022 18:24, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> Has anybody successfully used Fedora's mediawriter to set up a bootable
> image from a downloaded iso image?
>
> Thanks to a bit of finger trouble, I need a bootable image of the XFCE
> spin of Fedora 35 (x86_64) for an old Lenovo r61i using an Intel i3 chip.
> So far I haven't done anything more to its disk (a 128GB SSD) which it
> can't boot from due to the aforementioned finger trouble.
>
> I successfully downloaded an ISO containing the XFCE spin of Fedora 35
> but, because the ISO is 3.5 GB, it won't fit on a writable CD. I have a
> USB-connected CD writer and mediawriter is bright enough to not even try
> writing to it.
>
> The mediawriter program, which I'd just downloaded, claims to be able to
> write a bootable image to any USB-connected device, so I stuck a 4GB SD
> card in a USB-connected SD reader and mediawriter reported no problems
> when writing the ISO image to the SD card on my Lenovo T440, but the r61i
> only blinks the LED on the SD reader tries to boot off the buggered image
> on the SSD.
>
> Since mediawriter has no help display (--help does nothing) or manpage
> I'm temporarily out of ideas, so any suggestions will be gratefully
> received.

I personally use openSUSE studio image writer to create bootable usb sticks.

The laptop I am using at the moment I broke this morning with finger
trouble ( must be contagious) I think it should work with Fedora it's
rpm based.

Worst case it wont work

https://software.opensuse.org/package/imagewriter

Re: Using Fedora mediawriter to create a bootable image from an ISO

<t0dkr8$q32$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=655&group=uk.comp.os.linux#655

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 19:51:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 19:51 UTC

On Thu, 10 Mar 2022 19:13:11 +0000, grinch wrote:

> Worst case it wont work

True - and anyway (portable) USB-connected DVD writers are cheaper than I
expected.

> https://software.opensuse.org/package/imagewriter

The KDE isoimagewriter is another equivalent.

Re: Using Fedora mediawriter to create a bootable image from an ISO

<t0dqt4$mh5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=656&group=uk.comp.os.linux#656

From: new...@druck.org.uk (druck)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux,comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 21:34:27 +0000
 by: druck - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 21:34 UTC

On 10/03/2022 18:24, Martin Gregorie wrote:
[Snip]

I fail to see anything relevant to this newsgroup, why not try somewhere
more appropriate.

---druck

Re: Using Fedora mediawriter to create a bootable image from an ISO

<t0dr02$n82$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=657&group=uk.comp.os.linux#657

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux,comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 21:36:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 21:36 UTC

On Thu, 10 Mar 2022 21:34:27 +0000, druck wrote:

> On 10/03/2022 18:24, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> [Snip]
>
> I fail to see anything relevant to this newsgroup, why not try somewhere
> more appropriate.

Look at the ng list?

Re: Using Fedora mediawriter to create a bootable image from an ISO

<0ii*8pSIy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=658&group=uk.comp.os.linux#658

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 11 Mar 2022 09:01:36 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 09:01 UTC

[removing comp.sys.raspberry-pi, since it's offtopic there]

In uk.comp.os.linux Martin Gregorie <martin@mydomain.invalid> wrote:
> The mediawriter program, which I'd just downloaded, claims to be able to
> write a bootable image to any USB-connected device, so I stuck a 4GB SD
> card in a USB-connected SD reader and mediawriter reported no problems
> when writing the ISO image to the SD card on my Lenovo T440, but the r61i
> only blinks the LED on the SD reader tries to boot off the buggered image
> on the SSD.
>
> Since mediawriter has no help display (--help does nothing) or manpage
> I'm temporarily out of ideas, so any suggestions will be gratefully
> received.

USB and DVD booting are different. USB drives look like hard drives
(partition tables, etc), while DVDs include a virtual floppy drive image
that's used to start the boot process. Most Linux distros/Windows etc have
come up with a way that a single ISO image can look like both a DVD with its
virtual floppy image, and also a valid hard drive partition format. Once
you're into grub then everything is the same from there on.

I don't know mediawriter, but some tools like unetbootin try to construct
this chimera of a disc from a raw DVD image. Mediawriter's claims of
bootable images makes me concerned it tries to do similar. These days you
don't want that, because the ISO already has everything set up just so.

So I would try something like Etcher to write the ISO to SD card, because
that's not going to mess with the contents - just make sure the bits are
copied correctly.

The second question is: does the Lenovo support booting off SD card? Often
boot from an integral SD reader isn't supported, and trying to boot from SD
in USB readers is often flaky (some readers work, others don't). I would
try a real USB stick - they have more of a chance of working, although you
may have to try a few. Sometimes cheap cereal-packet USB sticks work when
name-brands don't, or vice versa.

Theo

Re: Using Fedora mediawriter to create a bootable image from an ISO

<t0fe95$jcp$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=659&group=uk.comp.os.linux#659

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 12:11:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 12:11 UTC

On Fri, 11 Mar 2022 09:01:36 +0000, Theo wrote:

> [removing comp.sys.raspberry-pi, since it's offtopic there]
>
> In uk.comp.os.linux Martin Gregorie <martin@mydomain.invalid> wrote:
>> The mediawriter program, which I'd just downloaded, claims to be able
>> to write a bootable image to any USB-connected device, so I stuck a 4GB
>> SD card in a USB-connected SD reader and mediawriter reported no
>> problems when writing the ISO image to the SD card on my Lenovo T440,
>> but the r61i only blinks the LED on the SD reader tries to boot off the
>> buggered image on the SSD.
>>
>> Since mediawriter has no help display (--help does nothing) or manpage
>> I'm temporarily out of ideas, so any suggestions will be gratefully
>> received.
>
> USB and DVD booting are different. USB drives look like hard drives
> (partition tables, etc), while DVDs include a virtual floppy drive image
> that's used to start the boot process. Most Linux distros/Windows etc
> have come up with a way that a single ISO image can look like both a DVD
> with its virtual floppy image, and also a valid hard drive partition
> format. Once you're into grub then everything is the same from there
> on.
>
> I don't know mediawriter, but some tools like unetbootin try to
> construct this chimera of a disc from a raw DVD image. Mediawriter's
> claims of bootable images makes me concerned it tries to do similar.
> These days you don't want that, because the ISO already has everything
> set up just so.
>
> So I would try something like Etcher to write the ISO to SD card,
> because that's not going to mess with the contents - just make sure the
> bits are copied correctly.
>
> The second question is: does the Lenovo support booting off SD card?
> Often boot from an integral SD reader isn't supported, and trying to
> boot from SD in USB readers is often flaky (some readers work, others
> don't). I would try a real USB stick - they have more of a chance of
> working, although you may have to try a few. Sometimes cheap
> cereal-packet USB sticks work when name-brands don't, or vice versa.

That's a good point: I've not, as far as I can remember, tried booting
off an SD card, just from CDs back in the day when new Fedora versions
had to be burnt to a CD - ie before Fedora 20 - its now version 35.

I also wonder if it matters that my SSD contains a formerly bootable
image that now gets far enough into a normal boot to start connecting
partitions containg larts of the filestore before dropping into emergency
mode. Could this be preempting any attempt to boot from the USB device,
which does get noticed and then ignored?

But, thanks for the rest of your info - that fills in a few cracks in my
knowledge and gives me some other ideas to try. If they don't work, I'll
just buy a DVD writer since they turn out to be cheaper than I thought
they would be.

FYI mediawriter is quite likely just a script of some sort, since it can
combine the two operations of downloading & validating an ISO from RedHat
before writing it to whatever suitable, and big enough, USB-connected
storage device it finds. Not realising the size of the ISO, I'd first
tried to write it to a blank CD with an LG USB writer that I'd previously
used to burn CD ISOs. It silently refused.

Re: Using Fedora mediawriter to create a bootable image from an ISO

<1647012517@f1.n250.z2.fidonet.ftn>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=660&group=uk.comp.os.linux#660

From: VBC...@gmail.com (Vincent Coen)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 15:28:37 +0000
Sender: "Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com>
 by: Vincent Coen - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 15:28 UTC

Hello druck!

Thursday March 10 2022 21:34, druck wrote to All:

> On 10/03/2022 18:24, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> [Snip]

> I fail to see anything relevant to this newsgroup, why not try
> somewhere more appropriate.

Which part of Linux and Fedora don't you understand ?

Vincent

Re: Using Fedora mediawriter to create a bootable image from an ISO

<xyD*A2TIy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=661&group=uk.comp.os.linux#661

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 11 Mar 2022 16:18:51 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 16:18 UTC

Martin Gregorie <martin@mydomain.invalid> wrote:
> I also wonder if it matters that my SSD contains a formerly bootable
> image that now gets far enough into a normal boot to start connecting
> partitions containg larts of the filestore before dropping into emergency
> mode. Could this be preempting any attempt to boot from the USB device,
> which does get noticed and then ignored?

There is a boot ordering in BIOS - often DVD goes before HDD goes before
network, and typically there's a pecking order of which 'HDD' goes before
which. It is possible your SSD is ahead of your USB stick.

You can change the boot ordering, but often there's a boot selection menu
(press F10 or F12 or some key like that at the Lenovo boot screen)
which allows you to select exactly which boot device. This is also useful
in telling you whether it completely failed to find a device you've plugged
in.

SD boot, at least on Dell BIOSes, is something that has to be explicitly
enabled in the SD card settings (rather than the boot settings).

> But, thanks for the rest of your info - that fills in a few cracks in my
> knowledge and gives me some other ideas to try. If they don't work, I'll
> just buy a DVD writer since they turn out to be cheaper than I thought
> they would be.

Optical drive boot is often more bulletproof than USB. I would do it more,
except the time to write a DVD and the stack of used DVDs would get
annoying. I can usually find *a* bootable USB stick, it just isn't always
the first one.

(I have a stash of Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 which are good in this respect
being a proper USB SSD in stick format. But occasionally something won't
boot from them)

Theo

Re: Using Fedora mediawriter to create a bootable image from an ISO

<t0g4ho$c38$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=662&group=uk.comp.os.linux#662

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 18:31:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 18:31 UTC

On Fri, 11 Mar 2022 16:18:51 +0000, Theo wrote:

> Martin Gregorie <martin@mydomain.invalid> wrote:
>> I also wonder if it matters that my SSD contains a formerly bootable
>> image that now gets far enough into a normal boot to start connecting
>> partitions containg larts of the filestore before dropping into
>> emergency mode. Could this be preempting any attempt to boot from the
>> USB device, which does get noticed and then ignored?
>
> There is a boot ordering in BIOS - often DVD goes before HDD goes before
> network, and typically there's a pecking order of which 'HDD' goes
> before which. It is possible your SSD is ahead of your USB stick.
>
> You can change the boot ordering, but often there's a boot selection
> menu (press F10 or F12 or some key like that at the Lenovo boot screen)
> which allows you to select exactly which boot device. This is also
> useful in telling you whether it completely failed to find a device
> you've plugged in.
>
> SD boot, at least on Dell BIOSes, is something that has to be explicitly
> enabled in the SD card settings (rather than the boot settings).
>
>> But, thanks for the rest of your info - that fills in a few cracks in
>> my knowledge and gives me some other ideas to try. If they don't work,
>> I'll just buy a DVD writer since they turn out to be cheaper than I
>> thought they would be.
>
> Optical drive boot is often more bulletproof than USB. I would do it
> more,
> except the time to write a DVD and the stack of used DVDs would get
> annoying. I can usually find *a* bootable USB stick, it just isn't
> always the first one.
>
> (I have a stash of Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 which are good in this
> respect being a proper USB SSD in stick format. But occasionally
> something won't boot from them)
>
> Theo

Noted with thanks,

Martin

Re: Using Fedora mediawriter to create a bootable image from an ISO

<t0ghji$276$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=663&group=uk.comp.os.linux#663

From: new...@druck.org.uk (druck)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux,comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 22:14:09 +0000
 by: druck - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 22:14 UTC

On 10/03/2022 21:36, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2022 21:34:27 +0000, druck wrote:
>
>> On 10/03/2022 18:24, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>> [Snip]
>>
>> I fail to see anything relevant to this newsgroup, why not try somewhere
>> more appropriate.
>>
> Look at the ng list?

Don't cross post.