From: ala...@darkroom.plus.com (Alan Lee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Lockerbie mail train robbery.
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 20:28:10 +0100
 by: Alan Lee - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 19:28 UTC

I'm surprised this hasnt been mentioned, reading The Railway Magazine
has reminded me of it.
On August 1st, 2 people attempted to rob a mail train at Lockerbie. We
were there the week after, the platform staff said the train was in the
loop, and 2 people broke into a carriage, and were going through the
contents when the Police arrived.
The RM mentions it thus 'Caledonian Sleeper was delayed due to vandalism
at Lockerbie' , no mention of an attempted theft.
The BBC report, linked below, mentions damage to a signal box, but
another report says a signal was damaged, with the lenses smashed, which
seems more likely as the line is protected by either Carlisle or
Motherwell boxes.

<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-66373418>
--
Remove the '+' and replace with 'plus' to reply by email

Re: Lockerbie mail train robbery.

<kn1au5F3kj1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65441&group=uk.railway#65441

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Lockerbie mail train robbery.
Date: 20 Sep 2023 22:44:21 GMT
 by: Marland - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 22:44 UTC

Alan Lee <alan@darkroom.plus.com> wrote:
> I'm surprised this hasnt been mentioned, reading The Railway Magazine
> has reminded me of it.
> On August 1st, 2 people attempted to rob a mail train at Lockerbie. We
> were there the week after, the platform staff said the train was in the
> loop, and 2 people broke into a carriage, and were going through the
> contents when the Police arrived.
> The RM mentions it thus 'Caledonian Sleeper was delayed due to vandalism
> at Lockerbie' , no mention of an attempted theft.
> The BBC report, linked below, mentions damage to a signal box, but
> another report says a signal was damaged, with the lenses smashed, which
> seems more likely as the line is protected by either Carlisle or
> Motherwell boxes.
>
> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-66373418>

I wonder if this was an attempt by the youngsters mentioned encouraged by
social media to emulate the gang style raids that have occurred in the US
,especially around Los Angleles where the amount of theft from trains
carrying packages despatched by Amazon etc has become endemic.
On the news clips available it looks horrific
<https://youtu.be/VsipYHlah6s?si=kaNQYKKGw0i2tRvv>

GH

Re: Lockerbie mail train robbery.

<ueh8gc$3gesm$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65459&group=uk.railway#65459

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 11:13:16 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:wpvPcWYYSrUHyfLYT8nxeHSifQs=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 11:13 UTC

Alan Lee <alan@darkroom.plus.com> wrote:
> I'm surprised this hasnt been mentioned, reading The Railway Magazine
> has reminded me of it.
> On August 1st, 2 people attempted to rob a mail train at Lockerbie. We
> were there the week after, the platform staff said the train was in the
> loop, and 2 people broke into a carriage, and were going through the
> contents when the Police arrived.
> The RM mentions it thus 'Caledonian Sleeper was delayed due to vandalism
> at Lockerbie' , no mention of an attempted theft.
> The BBC report, linked below, mentions damage to a signal box, but
> another report says a signal was damaged, with the lenses smashed, which
> seems more likely as the line is protected by either Carlisle or
> Motherwell boxes.
>
> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-66373418>

Discussion elsewhere suggests that 'signal box' in this instance probably
means 'lineside signalling cabinet' rather than 'place from where
signallers control trains'.

Anna Noyd-Dryver