Liberty is always dangerous, but it is the safest thing we have. -- Harry Emerson Fosdick

aus+uk / uk.railway / Siddy Holloway (OT?)

SubjectAuthor
* Siddy Holloway (OT?)Peter Johnson
`* Siddy Holloway (OT?)Marland
 `* Siddy Holloway (OT?)Peter Johnson
  +* Siddy Holloway (OT?)David Jones
  |`- Siddy Holloway (OT?)Peter Johnson
  +* Siddy Holloway (OT?)Anna Noyd-Dryver
  |+* Siddy Holloway (OT?)NY
  ||+- Siddy Holloway (OT?)Certes
  ||+- Siddy Holloway (OT?)Certes
  ||`- Siddy Holloway (OT?)Anna Noyd-Dryver
  |`* Siddy Holloway (OT?)Peter Johnson
  | `* Siddy Holloway (OT?)Recliner
  |  `* Siddy Holloway (OT?)Peter Johnson
  |   `* Siddy Holloway (OT?)Recliner
  |    +* Siddy Holloway (OT?)Graeme Wall
  |    |`* Siddy Holloway (OT?)Recliner
  |    | `* Siddy Holloway (OT?)Graeme Wall
  |    |  `* Siddy Holloway (OT?)Recliner
  |    |   `- Siddy Holloway (OT?)Graeme Wall
  |    +* Siddy Holloway (OT?)Anna Noyd-Dryver
  |    |`* Siddy Holloway (OT?)Recliner
  |    | `* Siddy Holloway (OT?)Sam Wilson
  |    |  `* Siddy Holloway (OT?)Recliner
  |    |   `- Siddy Holloway (OT?)Sam Wilson
  |    `- Siddy Holloway (OT?)Muttley
  `- Siddy Holloway (OT?)Anna Noyd-Dryver

1
Siddy Holloway (OT?)

<n5r5hitqgrau8h2kbi34rt318kf9mf190k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65569&group=uk.railway#65569

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Siddy Holloway (OT?)
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 15:45:16 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 14:45 UTC

Going up in the world:
Presenter credit in the last, recently finished, series of the Secrets
of the London Underground
Talking head, as historian and author, in Sky Arts' recently broadcast
documentary Decoding Turner
Jacket quote, as historian and presenter, on David Gwyn's book, The
Coming of the Railway A new global history 1750-1850, pub Yale
University Press (I bet he has no idea who she is)

Re: Siddy Holloway (OT?)

<kni863Frs7aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65616&group=uk.railway#65616

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Siddy Holloway (OT?)
Date: 27 Sep 2023 08:41:39 GMT
 by: Marland - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 08:41 UTC

Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:
> Going up in the world:
> Presenter credit in the last, recently finished, series of the Secrets
> of the London Underground
> Talking head, as historian and author, in Sky Arts' recently broadcast
> documentary Decoding Turner
> Jacket quote, as historian and presenter, on David Gwyn's book, The
> Coming of the Railway A new global history 1750-1850, pub Yale
> University Press (I bet he has no idea who she is)

She seems to be metamorphosing from her career as an Actress from which
she probably got her presentation skills to the TV historian role. A TV
historian may not have spent years studying a subject but simply needs to
be good at presenting information in a knowledgeable way.
Caught up with some of those episodes of that last series of the Secrets of
the Tube the other night,
perhaps it is just me but it seemed compared to previous ones she was the
sole presenter for a lot of the items rather than being accompanied by Tim
Dunn.
They both gush a bit too much with for my liking with apparent excitement
over a so called secret so only having one doing it does make it a bit
easier to watch..
One thought I had while watching it was her skin and facial features had
the sort of radiant glow that often accompanies a Woman who is pregnant and
can be an earlier indicator than a bump.
A quick scan of the WWW shows a couple of mentions that she and her
husband had a child in June but those sources could be a bit suspect.

GH

Re: Siddy Holloway (OT?)

<7be8hit0sefrqpj2rsec25bdkeq7t8pbgt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65626&group=uk.railway#65626

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 15:28:28 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 14:28 UTC

On 27 Sep 2023 08:41:39 GMT, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk>
wrote:

>Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:
>> Going up in the world:
>> Presenter credit in the last, recently finished, series of the Secrets
>> of the London Underground
>> Talking head, as historian and author, in Sky Arts' recently broadcast
>> documentary Decoding Turner
>> Jacket quote, as historian and presenter, on David Gwyn's book, The
>> Coming of the Railway A new global history 1750-1850, pub Yale
>> University Press (I bet he has no idea who she is)
>>

>She seems to be metamorphosing from her career as an Actress from which
>she probably got her presentation skills to the TV historian role. A TV
>historian may not have spent years studying a subject but simply needs to
>be good at presenting information in a knowledgeable way.
>Caught up with some of those episodes of that last series of the Secrets of
>the Tube the other night,
>perhaps it is just me but it seemed compared to previous ones she was the
>sole presenter for a lot of the items rather than being accompanied by Tim
>Dunn.
>They both gush a bit too much with for my liking with apparent excitement
>over a so called secret so only having one doing it does make it a bit
>easier to watch..
>One thought I had while watching it was her skin and facial features had
>the sort of radiant glow that often accompanies a Woman who is pregnant and
>can be an earlier indicator than a bump.
>A quick scan of the WWW shows a couple of mentions that she and her
>husband had a child in June but those sources could be a bit suspect.

In the last series she had one solo segment in each episode, and in
one of the last ones she explained how she chose Holloway as a stage
name, from the station. In the Turner programme she was the tame
expert on Rain, Wind and Speed. I don't remember what she said.
I first came across Tim Dunn as the organiser of a temporary
exhibition on seaside railways at Cleethorpes in 2010. I had no idea
who he was, apart from being someone who known by Anthony Coulls at
the NRM. The next time I heard of him was when the TV programmes
started.
I agree with your comment about gushing.

Re: Siddy Holloway (OT?)

<uf1vom$38du3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65639&group=uk.railway#65639

From: dajhaw...@nowherel.com (David Jones)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 19:28:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David Jones - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 19:28 UTC

Peter Johnson wrote:

> On 27 Sep 2023 08:41:39 GMT, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> >Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:
> >> Going up in the world:
> >> Presenter credit in the last, recently finished, series of the
> Secrets >> of the London Underground
> >> Talking head, as historian and author, in Sky Arts' recently
> broadcast >> documentary Decoding Turner
> >> Jacket quote, as historian and presenter, on David Gwyn's book, The
> >> Coming of the Railway A new global history 1750-1850, pub Yale
> >> University Press (I bet he has no idea who she is)
> >>

> > She seems to be metamorphosing from her career as an Actress from
> > which she probably got her presentation skills to the TV historian
> > role. A TV historian may not have spent years studying a subject
> > but simply needs to be good at presenting information in a
> > knowledgeable way. Caught up with some of those episodes of that
> > last series of the Secrets of the Tube the other night,
> > perhaps it is just me but it seemed compared to previous ones she
> > was the sole presenter for a lot of the items rather than being
> > accompanied by Tim Dunn.
> > They both gush a bit too much with for my liking with apparent
> > excitement over a so called secret so only having one doing it
> > does make it a bit easier to watch..
> > One thought I had while watching it was her skin and facial
> > features had the sort of radiant glow that often accompanies a
> > Woman who is pregnant and can be an earlier indicator than a bump.
> > A quick scan of the WWW shows a couple of mentions that she and her
> > husband had a child in June but those sources could be a bit
> > suspect.
> >

> In the last series she had one solo segment in each episode, and in
> one of the last ones she explained how she chose Holloway as a stage
> name, from the station. In the Turner programme she was the tame
> expert on Rain, Wind and Speed. I don't remember what she said.
> I first came across Tim Dunn as the organiser of a temporary
> exhibition on seaside railways at Cleethorpes in 2010. I had no idea
> who he was, apart from being someone who known by Anthony Coulls at
> the NRM. The next time I heard of him was when the TV programmes
> started.
> I agree with your comment about gushing.

You will know that she is a joint front person on the "Hidden London
Hangouts" channel on YouTube. For example
https://youtu.be/hH7MNbsUEzc?si=NzWxvd16uGp3nn8l

Re: Siddy Holloway (OT?)

<uf3jht$3krb1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65651&group=uk.railway#65651

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 10:12:13 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:vD48832oSlf2NpKhfQFaF032tXE=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 10:12 UTC

Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:
> On 27 Sep 2023 08:41:39 GMT, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:
>>> Going up in the world:
>>> Presenter credit in the last, recently finished, series of the Secrets
>>> of the London Underground
>>> Talking head, as historian and author, in Sky Arts' recently broadcast
>>> documentary Decoding Turner
>>> Jacket quote, as historian and presenter, on David Gwyn's book, The
>>> Coming of the Railway A new global history 1750-1850, pub Yale
>>> University Press (I bet he has no idea who she is)
>>>

>> She seems to be metamorphosing from her career as an Actress from which
>> she probably got her presentation skills to the TV historian role. A TV
>> historian may not have spent years studying a subject but simply needs to
>> be good at presenting information in a knowledgeable way.
>> Caught up with some of those episodes of that last series of the Secrets of
>> the Tube the other night,
>> perhaps it is just me but it seemed compared to previous ones she was the
>> sole presenter for a lot of the items rather than being accompanied by Tim
>> Dunn.
>> They both gush a bit too much with for my liking with apparent excitement
>> over a so called secret so only having one doing it does make it a bit
>> easier to watch..
>> One thought I had while watching it was her skin and facial features had
>> the sort of radiant glow that often accompanies a Woman who is pregnant and
>> can be an earlier indicator than a bump.
>> A quick scan of the WWW shows a couple of mentions that she and her
>> husband had a child in June but those sources could be a bit suspect.
>>

> In the last series she had one solo segment in each episode, and in
> one of the last ones she explained how she chose Holloway as a stage
> name, from the station. In the Turner programme she was the tame
> expert on Rain, Wind and Speed. I don't remember what she said.
> I first came across Tim Dunn as the organiser of a temporary
> exhibition on seaside railways at Cleethorpes in 2010. I had no idea
> who he was, apart from being someone who known by Anthony Coulls at
> the NRM. The next time I heard of him was when the TV programmes
> started.
> I agree with your comment about gushing.

IIRC "Trainspotting Live" was Tim's TV breakthrough.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Siddy Holloway (OT?)

<E6OdnatTobkjVoj4nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65682&group=uk.railway#65682

Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 19:53:48 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: me...@privacy.net (NY)
 by: NY - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 18:53 UTC

On 28/09/2023 11:12, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
> IIRC "Trainspotting Live" was Tim's TV breakthrough.

I remember that programme with Peter Snow and Hannah Fry, from Didcot
Railway Centre. I don't remember Tim Dunn being on it, but then if he
wasn't a "name" at the time, I may not have done (or should that be dunn?).

Re: Siddy Holloway (OT?)

<uf4irm$3qltf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65683&group=uk.railway#65683

From: Cer...@example.org (Certes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 20:06:30 +0100
 by: Certes - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 19:06 UTC

On 28/09/2023 19:53, NY wrote:
> On 28/09/2023 11:12, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
>> IIRC "Trainspotting Live" was Tim's TV breakthrough.
>
> I remember that programme with Peter Snow and Hannah Fry, from Didcot
> Railway Centre. I don't remember Tim Dunn being on it, but then if he
> wasn't a "name" at the time, I may not have done (or should that be dunn?).

Dunn features front and centre on the BBC's programme webpage, but that
may have been written since he became more famous.
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03xx9tx>

I'd forgotten that Dick Strawbridge also appeared.

Re: Siddy Holloway (OT?)

<uf53m5$3tosd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65694&group=uk.railway#65694

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 23:53:41 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:HUJh/8dfGWmU0hyBM4aYPGEMfyU=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 23:53 UTC

NY <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> On 28/09/2023 11:12, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
>> IIRC "Trainspotting Live" was Tim's TV breakthrough.
>
> I remember that programme with Peter Snow and Hannah Fry, from Didcot
> Railway Centre. I don't remember Tim Dunn being on it, but then if he
> wasn't a "name" at the time, I may not have done (or should that be dunn?).

<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Dunn_(historian)> lists his
'filmography' beginning with "2016 Trainspotting Live Role: Presenter".

<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trainspotting_Live> opens with "The show
was presented by Peter Snow, Hannah Fry, Dick Strawbridge and Tim Dunn from
the Didcot Railway Centre in Didcot.".

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Siddy Holloway (OT?)

<uf6ejd$8sr5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65711&group=uk.railway#65711

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 12:06:05 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:35w9mOG5z2OiMrBhxCHVSxAH8EM=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 12:06 UTC

Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:
> On 27 Sep 2023 08:41:39 GMT, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:
>>> Going up in the world:
>>> Presenter credit in the last, recently finished, series of the Secrets
>>> of the London Underground
>>> Talking head, as historian and author, in Sky Arts' recently broadcast
>>> documentary Decoding Turner
>>> Jacket quote, as historian and presenter, on David Gwyn's book, The
>>> Coming of the Railway A new global history 1750-1850, pub Yale
>>> University Press (I bet he has no idea who she is)
>>>

>> She seems to be metamorphosing from her career as an Actress from which
>> she probably got her presentation skills to the TV historian role. A TV
>> historian may not have spent years studying a subject but simply needs to
>> be good at presenting information in a knowledgeable way.
>> Caught up with some of those episodes of that last series of the Secrets of
>> the Tube the other night,
>> perhaps it is just me but it seemed compared to previous ones she was the
>> sole presenter for a lot of the items rather than being accompanied by Tim
>> Dunn.
>> They both gush a bit too much with for my liking with apparent excitement
>> over a so called secret so only having one doing it does make it a bit
>> easier to watch..
>> One thought I had while watching it was her skin and facial features had
>> the sort of radiant glow that often accompanies a Woman who is pregnant and
>> can be an earlier indicator than a bump.
>> A quick scan of the WWW shows a couple of mentions that she and her
>> husband had a child in June but those sources could be a bit suspect.
>>

> In the last series she had one solo segment in each episode, and in
> one of the last ones she explained how she chose Holloway as a stage
> name, from the station. In the Turner programme she was the tame
> expert on Rain, Wind and Speed. I don't remember what she said.
> I first came across Tim Dunn as the organiser of a temporary
> exhibition on seaside railways at Cleethorpes in 2010. I had no idea
> who he was, apart from being someone who known by Anthony Coulls at
> the NRM. The next time I heard of him was when the TV programmes
> started.
> I agree with your comment about gushing.

I think Tim’s enthusiasm on screen is entirely genuine - see for example
this tweet about one night filming:

<https://x.com/mrtimdunn/status/1707674941041074279>

<quote>

Penny. Just. Dropped! There’s a 1937 London Underground photo (by
E.O.Hoppé) which circulates on social media, often without exact location.
BUT I’ve just realised that it *is* where a brief description sometimes
claims -“British Museum station” - tho it closed down four year previously.
So it’s not only an abandoned tube station, but was taken in what is a
now-barely-accessible sealed off tunnel there too . When TfL granted us
access to walk along the Central line tracks one night to explore the site
for #secretsofthelondonunderground, by chance we found THAT passageway and
hand painted advert (which still has paper signs pasted adjacent from its
days as a WW2 shelter). So perhaps subconsciously I recalled Hoppé’s image
and took a similar snap - but of our camera crew at work - at 02:44am on
27th Feb 2023. That night we spent exploring forgotten tunnels beneath
London’s streets was one of the most extraordinary experiences of my life
and I thought you’d like to know the location of this now-famous vintage
image is -by a quirk of fate - almost entirely unchanged, 87 years on.

</quote>

Re: Siddy Holloway (OT?)

<pb2jhitbkrkg929lfr6db41t3dr1udceim@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65797&group=uk.railway#65797

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2023 16:00:59 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 15:00 UTC

On Wed, 27 Sep 2023 19:28:23 -0000 (UTC), "David Jones"
<dajhawkxx@nowherel.com> wrote:

>You will know that she is a joint front person on the "Hidden London
>Hangouts" channel on YouTube. For example
>https://youtu.be/hH7MNbsUEzc?si=NzWxvd16uGp3nn8l

No, I didn't know that. Rarely watch anything on YouTube.

Re: Siddy Holloway (OT?)

<8e78ji17udup7a7lh47btuq6qv90uvcpvs@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66740&group=uk.railway#66740

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 20:11:55 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 19:11 UTC

On Thu, 28 Sep 2023 10:12:13 -0000 (UTC), Anna Noyd-Dryver
<anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:

>IIRC "Trainspotting Live" was Tim's TV breakthrough.

That's what he said to me when I saw him on Friday. Apparently he had
heard that the series was going to be made and went to the production
office to persuade them that rail enthusiasts aren't all nutcases.
Afterwards they rang him and asked him to be involved.
There's one more series of 'Secrets of the UNderground' to be made
then he'll be working full time on developing the Rail 200
anniversary.

Re: Siddy Holloway (OT?)

<577ajilqp49pcluc7rlc9j2s7f205qn6lq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66779&group=uk.railway#66779

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 14:03:15 +0100
 by: Recliner - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 13:03 UTC

On Sat, 21 Oct 2023 20:11:55 +0100, Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Sep 2023 10:12:13 -0000 (UTC), Anna Noyd-Dryver
><anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
>

>>IIRC "Trainspotting Live" was Tim's TV breakthrough.
>
>That's what he said to me when I saw him on Friday. Apparently he had
>heard that the series was going to be made and went to the production
>office to persuade them that rail enthusiasts aren't all nutcases.
>Afterwards they rang him and asked him to be involved.
>There's one more series of 'Secrets of the UNderground' to be made
>then he'll be working full time on developing the Rail 200
>anniversary.

I assume that also means no more Railway Architecture programmes? I think those are more of an interest of his than the
Tube programmes, which could, of course, continue without him, or with Tim just doing a short intro to each programme,
without taking part in the exploring. Siddy and the Museum staff could take over all the actual presenting. Or Geoff
could step in (he's much more of an LU specialist than Tim).

Re: Siddy Holloway (OT?)

<3uhaji1ms9uuhdkgnlrqca5v1set0gk8h1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66819&group=uk.railway#66819

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 17:04:19 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 16:04 UTC

On Sun, 22 Oct 2023 14:03:15 +0100, Recliner
<recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 21 Oct 2023 20:11:55 +0100, Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 28 Sep 2023 10:12:13 -0000 (UTC), Anna Noyd-Dryver
>><anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
>>

>>>IIRC "Trainspotting Live" was Tim's TV breakthrough.
>>
>>That's what he said to me when I saw him on Friday. Apparently he had
>>heard that the series was going to be made and went to the production
>>office to persuade them that rail enthusiasts aren't all nutcases.
>>Afterwards they rang him and asked him to be involved.
>>There's one more series of 'Secrets of the UNderground' to be made
>>then he'll be working full time on developing the Rail 200
>>anniversary.
>
>I assume that also means no more Railway Architecture programmes? I think those are more of an interest of his than the
>Tube programmes, which could, of course, continue without him, or with Tim just doing a short intro to each programme,
>without taking part in the exploring. Siddy and the Museum staff could take over all the actual presenting. Or Geoff
>could step in (he's much more of an LU specialist than Tim).

He didn't mention the Architecture progs but said there would be a
break from telly.

Re: Siddy Holloway (OT?)

<j1ccji94fs7hdoijj60pnvi3t54bgs2j3k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66847&group=uk.railway#66847

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 09:37:30 +0100
 by: Recliner - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 08:37 UTC

On Sun, 22 Oct 2023 17:04:19 +0100, Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Oct 2023 14:03:15 +0100, Recliner
><recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 21 Oct 2023 20:11:55 +0100, Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:

>>>That's what he said to me when I saw him on Friday. Apparently he had
>>>heard that the series was going to be made and went to the production
>>>office to persuade them that rail enthusiasts aren't all nutcases.
>>>Afterwards they rang him and asked him to be involved.
>>>There's one more series of 'Secrets of the UNderground' to be made
>>>then he'll be working full time on developing the Rail 200
>>>anniversary.
>>
>>I assume that also means no more Railway Architecture programmes? I think those are more of an interest of his than the
>>Tube programmes, which could, of course, continue without him, or with Tim just doing a short intro to each programme,
>>without taking part in the exploring. Siddy and the Museum staff could take over all the actual presenting. Or Geoff
>>could step in (he's much more of an LU specialist than Tim).
>
>He didn't mention the Architecture progs but said there would be a
>break from telly.

What's his 'day job'? I assume these occasional railway TV series are a break from his actual work which may be in some
completely unrelated area. With Geoff, I think he actually makes his main living from his YouTube videos.

Re: Siddy Holloway (OT?)

<uh5bgj$314ai$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66848&group=uk.railway#66848

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 09:39:46 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 08:39 UTC

On 23/10/2023 09:37, Recliner wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Oct 2023 17:04:19 +0100, Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 22 Oct 2023 14:03:15 +0100, Recliner
>> <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I assume that also means no more Railway Architecture programmes? I think those are more of an interest of his than the
>>> Tube programmes, which could, of course, continue without him, or with Tim just doing a short intro to each programme,
>>> without taking part in the exploring. Siddy and the Museum staff could take over all the actual presenting. Or Geoff
>>> could step in (he's much more of an LU specialist than Tim).
>>
>> He didn't mention the Architecture progs but said there would be a
>> break from telly.
>
> What's his 'day job'? I assume these occasional railway TV series are a break from his actual work which may be in some

Writer and travel editor, his partner is an architect.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Siddy Holloway (OT?)

<mhdcjil6ojulscsa9rgj8ssvdeti7ha8kc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66854&group=uk.railway#66854

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 10:05:57 +0100
 by: Recliner - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 09:05 UTC

On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 09:39:46 +0100, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On 23/10/2023 09:37, Recliner wrote:
>> On Sun, 22 Oct 2023 17:04:19 +0100, Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:

>>> He didn't mention the Architecture progs but said there would be a
>>> break from telly.
>>
>> What's his 'day job'? I assume these occasional railway TV series are a break from his actual work which may be in some
>
>Writer and travel editor, his partner is an architect.

Yes, I knew his husband was an architect, but Tim himself seems to have had a long interest in railway architecture.
He's also heavily involved with Bekonscot, and was, I think, behind its 7 1/4" gauge miniature railway and the New Town
extension. But I assume that's just a hobby, and not a way of paying the bills.

Re: Siddy Holloway (OT?)

<uh5dd2$314ai$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66855&group=uk.railway#66855

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 10:12:02 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 09:12 UTC

On 23/10/2023 10:05, Recliner wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 09:39:46 +0100, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> What's his 'day job'? I assume these occasional railway TV series are a break from his actual work which may be in some
>>
>> Writer and travel editor, his partner is an architect.
>
> Yes, I knew his husband was an architect, but Tim himself seems to have had a long interest in railway architecture.
> He's also heavily involved with Bekonscot, and was, I think, behind its 7 1/4" gauge miniature railway and the New Town
> extension. But I assume that's just a hobby, and not a way of paying the bills.

He started there as a teenage volunteer, so you are probably right, it's
the continuation of his hobby.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Siddy Holloway (OT?)

<nlncjil5dodvl1egfh9bd7iq41nor3l1to@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66857&group=uk.railway#66857

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
References: <n5r5hitqgrau8h2kbi34rt318kf9mf190k@4ax.com> <kni863Frs7aU1@mid.individual.net> <7be8hit0sefrqpj2rsec25bdkeq7t8pbgt@4ax.com> <uf3jht$3krb1$1@dont-email.me> <8e78ji17udup7a7lh47btuq6qv90uvcpvs@4ax.com> <577ajilqp49pcluc7rlc9j2s7f205qn6lq@4ax.com> <3uhaji1ms9uuhdkgnlrqca5v1set0gk8h1@4ax.com> <j1ccji94fs7hdoijj60pnvi3t54bgs2j3k@4ax.com> <uh5bgj$314ai$1@dont-email.me> <mhdcjil6ojulscsa9rgj8ssvdeti7ha8kc@4ax.com> <uh5dd2$314ai$2@dont-email.me>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 12:54:19 +0100
 by: Recliner - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 11:54 UTC

On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 10:12:02 +0100, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On 23/10/2023 10:05, Recliner wrote:

>>> Writer and travel editor, his partner is an architect.
>>
>> Yes, I knew his husband was an architect, but Tim himself seems to have had a long interest in railway architecture.
>> He's also heavily involved with Bekonscot, and was, I think, behind its 7 1/4" gauge miniature railway and the New Town
>> extension. But I assume that's just a hobby, and not a way of paying the bills.
>
>He started there as a teenage volunteer, so you are probably right, it's
>the continuation of his hobby.

Not sure if this was hobby or work, but here he is celebrating the world's newest steam engine:
https://x.com/MrTimDunn/status/1716163235974426709?s=20

Re: Siddy Holloway (OT?)

<uh648o$37ovh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66871&group=uk.railway#66871

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 15:42:16 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:YflcDUx9qkQZovEDvuecNhmhVAQ=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 15:42 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Oct 2023 17:04:19 +0100, Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 22 Oct 2023 14:03:15 +0100, Recliner
>> <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I assume that also means no more Railway Architecture programmes? I
>>> think those are more of an interest of his than the
>>> Tube programmes, which could, of course, continue without him, or with
>>> Tim just doing a short intro to each programme,
>>> without taking part in the exploring. Siddy and the Museum staff could
>>> take over all the actual presenting. Or Geoff
>>> could step in (he's much more of an LU specialist than Tim).
>>
>> He didn't mention the Architecture progs but said there would be a
>> break from telly.
>
> What's his 'day job'? I assume these occasional railway TV series are a
> break from his actual work which may be in some
> completely unrelated area.

Tim works for The Trainline. From his Wikipedia page:

"Tim Dunn (historian)
Tim Dunn (born 26 March 1981) is a British railway historian,[2] TV
presenter, geographer and travel editor. Dunn is known for his presenting
and writing work, primarily on rail transport and architecture. He also
works as a travel editor for transport website Trainline."

IIRC he's publicly thanked them (via Twitter) for being 'very
accommodating' whilst he was filming.

> With Geoff, I think he actually makes his main living from his YouTube videos.

Tom Scott and The Tim Traveller also make a living from their online
activities. I suspect that some other prolific transport YouTubers/bloggers
do too.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Siddy Holloway (OT?)

<uh65au$382bl$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66873&group=uk.railway#66873

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 16:00:30 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:EYoR1hgTJpaA0KRynRlUpQVPgQk=
 by: Recliner - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 16:00 UTC

Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 22 Oct 2023 17:04:19 +0100, Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:

>>> He didn't mention the Architecture progs but said there would be a
>>> break from telly.
>>
>> What's his 'day job'? I assume these occasional railway TV series are a
>> break from his actual work which may be in some
>> completely unrelated area.
>
> Tim works for The Trainline. From his Wikipedia page:
>
> "Tim Dunn (historian)
> Tim Dunn (born 26 March 1981) is a British railway historian,[2] TV
> presenter, geographer and travel editor. Dunn is known for his presenting
> and writing work, primarily on rail transport and architecture. He also
> works as a travel editor for transport website Trainline."
>
> IIRC he's publicly thanked them (via Twitter) for being 'very
> accommodating' whilst he was filming.
>
>> With Geoff, I think he actually makes his main living from his YouTube videos.
>>

> Tom Scott and The Tim Traveller also make a living from their online
> activities. I suspect that some other prolific transport YouTubers/bloggers
> do too.

Apparently he left Trainline in March, and is now freelance. From his
LinkedIn profile, he's mainly worked in CRM and marketing database roles.
His degree was in geography.

Re: Siddy Holloway (OT?)

<uh6809$38ng9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66880&group=uk.railway#66880

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 16:46:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 16:46 UTC

On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 09:37:30 +0100
Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sun, 22 Oct 2023 17:04:19 +0100, Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam>
>wrote:
>>>I assume that also means no more Railway Architecture programmes? I think
>those are more of an interest of his than the
>>>Tube programmes, which could, of course, continue without him, or with Tim
>just doing a short intro to each programme,
>>>without taking part in the exploring. Siddy and the Museum staff could take
>over all the actual presenting. Or Geoff
>>>could step in (he's much more of an LU specialist than Tim).
>>
>>He didn't mention the Architecture progs but said there would be a
>>break from telly.

Good. His faux naivity act gets tedious after a while. I realise he's the
foil for Siddy who is the clued up one but jesus, couldn't they just use
another approach occasionally.

You can find essentially the same program on the LT Museum youtube channel
with Siddy and some other LTM staff. Its very good.

Re: Siddy Holloway (OT?)

<uh6b5t$39dtb$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66884&group=uk.railway#66884

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 18:40:12 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 17:40 UTC

On 23/10/2023 12:54, Recliner wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 10:12:02 +0100, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Yes, I knew his husband was an architect, but Tim himself seems to have had a long interest in railway architecture.
>>> He's also heavily involved with Bekonscot, and was, I think, behind its 7 1/4" gauge miniature railway and the New Town
>>> extension. But I assume that's just a hobby, and not a way of paying the bills.
>>
>> He started there as a teenage volunteer, so you are probably right, it's
>> the continuation of his hobby.
>
> Not sure if this was hobby or work, but here he is celebrating the world's newest steam engine:
> https://x.com/MrTimDunn/status/1716163235974426709?s=20

Most likely both!
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Siddy Holloway (OT?)

<uh6hit$3b67r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66885&group=uk.railway#66885

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 19:29:33 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:TzwybW3p/sHd5YxrHby9drXUejE=
 by: Sam Wilson - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 19:29 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> What's his 'day job'? I assume these occasional railway TV series are a
>>> break from his actual work which may be in some
>>> completely unrelated area.
>>
>> Tim works for The Trainline. From his Wikipedia page:
>>
>> "Tim Dunn (historian)
>> Tim Dunn (born 26 March 1981) is a British railway historian,[2] TV
>> presenter, geographer and travel editor. Dunn is known for his presenting
>> and writing work, primarily on rail transport and architecture. He also
>> works as a travel editor for transport website Trainline."
>>
>> IIRC he's publicly thanked them (via Twitter) for being 'very
>> accommodating' whilst he was filming.
>>
>>> With Geoff, I think he actually makes his main living from his YouTube videos.
>>>

>> Tom Scott and The Tim Traveller also make a living from their online
>> activities. I suspect that some other prolific transport YouTubers/bloggers
>> do too.
>>

> Apparently he left Trainline in March, and is now freelance. From his
> LinkedIn profile, he's mainly worked in CRM and marketing database roles.
> His degree was in geography.

CRM isn’t Crew Resource Management in this context, is it?

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Siddy Holloway (OT?)

<tqBZM.160966$6sw7.39065@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66889&group=uk.railway#66889

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
<uh6hit$3b67r$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 21:18:17 GMT
 by: Recliner - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 21:18 UTC

Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:

>>> Tim works for The Trainline. From his Wikipedia page:
>>>
>>> "Tim Dunn (historian)
>>> Tim Dunn (born 26 March 1981) is a British railway historian,[2] TV
>>> presenter, geographer and travel editor. Dunn is known for his presenting
>>> and writing work, primarily on rail transport and architecture. He also
>>> works as a travel editor for transport website Trainline."
>>>
>>> IIRC he's publicly thanked them (via Twitter) for being 'very
>>> accommodating' whilst he was filming.

>>> Tom Scott and The Tim Traveller also make a living from their online
>>> activities. I suspect that some other prolific transport YouTubers/bloggers
>>> do too.
>>>

>> Apparently he left Trainline in March, and is now freelance. From his
>> LinkedIn profile, he's mainly worked in CRM and marketing database roles.
>> His degree was in geography.
>
> CRM isn’t Crew Resource Management in this context, is it?

Customer Relationship Management, as epitomised by Salesforce.com.

Crew Resource Management is something airlines practise, basically to stop
captains bullying the other crew.

Re: Siddy Holloway (OT?)

<uhakno$l1aa$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66927&group=uk.railway#66927

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 08:47:52 -0000 (UTC)
<uh6hit$3b67r$1@dont-email.me>
<tqBZM.160966$6sw7.39065@fx15.ams1>
sha1:LBVcKqS1izlly65lEAdbr+oacbg=
 by: Sam Wilson - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 08:47 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Apparently he left Trainline in March, and is now freelance. From his
>>> LinkedIn profile, he's mainly worked in CRM and marketing database roles.
>>> His degree was in geography.
>>
>> CRM isn’t Crew Resource Management in this context, is it?
>
> Customer Relationship Management, as epitomised by Salesforce.com.
>
> Crew Resource Management is something airlines practise, basically to stop
> captains bullying the other crew.

Yes. I should have added a :-) to my comment!

Sam