From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Cyclist_kills:_£2200_fine._Steal_a_bike:_12_months_j
ail._See_any_issues?
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 17:37:51 +0000
 by: Spike - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 17:37 UTC

COMMENT: Ryan Hack was sentenced last week at Bristol Magistrates’
Court, where he admitted stealing six bikes between 8 June and 2
September 2021.

Hack, of Shirehampton Road, Sea Mills, also pleaded guilty to two counts
each of handling stolen goods and going equipped for theft.

So he was jailed for the serious offences of handling stolen goods, and
going equipped for theft.

The bike thefts were largely immaterial.

Read the full and somewhat over-egged story, which starts on the first
line of the reporting, at the link below.

END COMMENT

A serial bike thief in Bristol has been handed a 52-week prison sentence
after being convicted of six bike thefts that took place over the course
of three months last year.

Ryan Hack has also been handed a criminal behaviour order (CBO) that
bans him from entering some parts of the city centre for 30 months
following his release from jail.

The 21 year old was sentenced last week at Bristol Magistrates’ Court,
where he admitted stealing six bikes between 8 June and 2 September 2021.

Hack, of Shirehampton Road, Sea Mills, also pleaded guilty to two counts
each of handling stolen goods and going equipped for theft.

He is also legally banned from being in possession of a bicycle that he
is unable to prove belongs to him.

Inspector Adam Dolling of Avon & Somerset Police said (link is
external): “Ryan Hack is a prolific bike thief and therefore we welcome
the custodial sentence he has received.

“Upon his release, he will have to comply with the criminal behaviour
order or else he runs the risk of returning to prison.

“Local officers will be made aware of Hack and the conditions he must
meet so to help protect our communities.

“We hope the police investigation and court sentencing provides the
people of Bristol with reassurance that we continue to tackle the issue
of bike thefts and will seek justice through the courts against offenders.”

The sentence handed down to Hack comes as The Times named (link is
external)Avon & Somerset Police the best in the UK at clearing up
reported bike thefts and ensuring the thieves are brought to justice,
bringing charges at three times the rate of any other force, with the
article highlighted in this tweet from Conservative London Assembly
Member for Croydon & Sutton, Neil Garratt.

The custodial sentence imposed in this case contrasts with the suspended
jail terms often handed down in cases in which a cyclist is killed and
apparently confirming suspicions that the law often priorities property
over the person.

Just this past week, the former mayor of an Oxfordshire town walked free
from court despite having pleaded guilty to causing the death through
careless driving of a 75-year-old cyclist.

<https://road.cc/content/news/serial-bristol-bike-thief-jailed-52-weeks-290853>

--
Spike

Re: Cyclist kills: £2200 fine. Steal a bike: 12 months jail. See any issues?

<d20b9ab9-0b8f-4169-aa09-31e5020b5528n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6575&group=uk.rec.cycling#6575

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 10:17:30 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re:_Cyclist_kills:_£2200_fine._Steal_a_bike:_12_mon
ths_jail._See_any_issues?
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 18:17 UTC

On Sunday, 6 March 2022 at 17:37:54 UTC, Spike wrote:
> [...]
>
> The sentence handed down to Hack comes as The Times named (link is
> external)Avon & Somerset Police the best in the UK at clearing up
> reported bike thefts and ensuring the thieves are brought to justice,
> bringing charges at three times the rate of any other force, with the
> article highlighted in this tweet from Conservative London Assembly
> Member for Croydon & Sutton, Neil Garratt.
>
> The custodial sentence imposed in this case contrasts with the suspended
> jail terms often handed down in cases in which a cyclist is killed and
> apparently confirming suspicions that the law often priorities property
> over the person.
>
> Just this past week, the former mayor of an Oxfordshire town walked free
> from court despite having pleaded guilty to causing the death through
> careless driving of a 75-year-old cyclist.

So these crimes were committed by a pedestrian.

Re: Cyclist kills: £2200 fine. Steal a bike: 12 months jail. See any issues?

<j8l2usFcl6pU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6579&group=uk.rec.cycling#6579

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Cyclist_kills:_£2200_fine._Steal_a_bike:
_12_months_jail._See_any_issues?
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 00:46:19 +0000
 by: JNugent - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 00:46 UTC

On 06/03/2022 06:17 pm, Mike Collins wrote:
> [...]
>> bringing charges at three times the rate of any other force, with the
>> article highlighted in this tweet from Conservative London Assembly
>> Member for Croydon & Sutton, Neil Garratt.
>>
>> The custodial sentence imposed in this case contrasts with the suspended
>> jail terms often handed down in cases in which a cyclist is killed and
>> apparently confirming suspicions that the law often priorities property
>> over the person.
>>
>> Just this past week, the former mayor of an Oxfordshire town walked free
>> from court despite having pleaded guilty to causing the death through
>> careless driving of a 75-year-old cyclist.
>>
>> <https://road.cc/content/news/serial-bristol-bike-thief-jailed-52-weeks-290853>
>>
>> --
>> Spike
>
> So these crimes were committed by a pedestrian.

Pedestrians are at least as qualified to ride fairy-cycles as the law
demands of fairy-cyclists.

They don't need to have had any instruction as to road-lore or traffic
law. None whatsoever.

They don't need to have read the Highway Code. Not even the first page.

They don't need to be insured against the risks they pose to third parties.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Cyclist kills: £2200 fine. Steal a bike: 12 months jail. See any issues?