Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 03:57:21 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Cyclox chair on Oxford cyclist deaths: 'People are fearful about the
state of our roads'
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 11:57 UTC

Oxford is known as one of the UK’s great cycling cities and local authorities have made continued efforts to make cycling safe. So why are cyclists still being killed on our roads?

On March 1, Dr Suet Ling Felce was killed while riding her bike at The Plain A420 Roundabout in Oxford.

Her death came just weeks after another cyclist, aged in her forties, died in an accident involving a lorry on the A4165.

Chair of Cyclox, Alison Hill, believes one of the main reasons people don’t cycle "is because they are fearful about the state of our roads.”

“We would love to see segregated cycle lanes, they are a way to get people feeling safe when cycling," she told OxfordshireLive.

The segregated system is already being implemented on both Woodstock and Banbury Road, which would force bus lanes to converge with main traffic. A Zero Emission Zone was also implemented in the city centre, at the end of February, in a bid to reduce traffic, noise and pollution.

Cyclox has organised a vigil for Dr Felce at 2:30 PM on Tuesday 8th March at The Plain Roundabout, Oxford.

https://www.oxfordshirelive.co.uk/news/cyclox-chair-oxford-cyclist-deaths-6764199

Re: Cyclox chair on Oxford cyclist deaths: 'People are fearful about the state of our roads'

<j8mavuFjrhfU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6604&group=uk.rec.cycling#6604

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Cyclox chair on Oxford cyclist deaths: 'People are fearful about
the state of our roads'
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 12:09:35 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 12:09 UTC

On 07/03/2022 11:57, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Oxford is known as one of the UK’s great cycling cities and local authorities have made continued efforts to make cycling safe. So why are cyclists still being killed on our roads?

According to government data for 2020, nearly half of all cycle deaths
are not caused by collisions with vehicles. So why aren't cycling groups
investigating this?

--
Spike

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Cyclox chair on Oxford cyclist deaths: 'People are fearful about the state of our roads'