Landru! Guide us! -- A Beta 3-oid, "The Return of the Archons", stardate 3157.4

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Near Miss of the Day 728: “A bit of a happy ending on this one with a positive outcome”

SubjectAuthor
* Near Miss of the Day 728: “A bit of a happy endingswldx...@gmail.com
`- Re: Near Miss of the Day 728: “A bit of a happy enswldx...@gmail.com

1
Near Miss of the Day 728: “A bit of a happy ending on this one with a positive outcome”

<a426662a-9e08-4ad4-885b-1b6c748a8bfan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6576&group=uk.rec.cycling#6576

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 10:26:08 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Near_Miss_of_the_Day_728:_“A_bit_of_a_happy_ending
_on_this_one_with_a_positive_outcome”
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 18:26 UTC

“A bit of a happy ending on this one with a positive outcome” is how road.cc reader Lyndon described the incident shown in today’s Near Miss of the Day video, with the clip showing an oncoming van driver squeezing past him in Windsor when there was no room to do so safely, then when their paths cross later on, making a wider overtake on the cyclist, who had stopped following the initial incident to point out his poor driving to him.

“Usually if I try and make a driver aware of a close pass it results in me being sworn at, flipped off or just ignored,” Lyndon told us.

“I already had a few close calls on this ride and was at the end of my tether, so I turned back knowing the driver wouldn't get far in the 20mph zone.

“This (professional?) delivery driver squeezed in a gap he shouldn't have, and initially didn’t seem to care. I stayed calm, letting him know his pass was too close, he apologised.

“We went our separate ways, when in about 20 minutes he passed me on a quiet road, giving a wider berth than before (not great, but better). It just goes to show that some drivers perhaps make a genuine mistake, and are willing to change their habits to be more considerate,” he added..

https://road.cc/content/news/nmotd-728-bit-happy-ending-290857

Re: Near Miss of the Day 728: “A bit of a happy ending on this one with a positive outcome”

<65c0cd1a-155e-4981-9a90-fdaeda6b4fc2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6627&group=uk.rec.cycling#6627

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 09:18:22 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re:_Near_Miss_of_the_Day_728:_“A_bit_of_a_happy_en
ding_on_this_one_with_a_positive_outcome”
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 17:18 UTC

hirsute | 5258 posts | 8 hours ago
1 like

Did he give a better pass as he then knew it was on camera ?

reply quote

chineseJohn | 47 posts | 19 hours ago
1 like

Is the driver filming the conversation?

reply quote

HoarseMann | 1436 posts | 21 hours ago
4 likes

I'd always advise against confronting a driver, as you never know what you're going to get, but in this case, looks like it's been worthwhile. Thanks Lyndon, hopefully that's one less careless driver on the roads.

reply quote

0-0 replied to HoarseMann | 316 posts | 20 hours ago
5 likes

Agreed. It's just easier to jam a potato up their exhaust pipe 😉

Who doesn't carry a potato for such an occasion? 😀

reply quote

TheBillder replied to 0-0 | 1073 posts | 6 hours ago
2 likes

0-0 wrote:

Agreed. It's just easier to jam a potato up their exhaust pipe 😉

Who doesn't carry a potato for such an occasion? 😀

Wouldn't that be an offensive weapon unless you had a good reason for carrying it, such as some art printing mid ride, or stopping for a rather lengthy lunch cooked from scratch?

reply quote

mdavidford replied to TheBillder | 2993 posts | 6 hours ago
1 like

Makeshift battery for an emergency phone charge.

reply quote

brooksby replied to 0-0 | 9077 posts | 6 hours ago
0 likes

0-0 wrote:

Agreed. It's just easier to jam a potato up their exhaust pipe 😉 Who doesn't carry a potato for such an occasion? 😀

I remember reading a book which suggested that hard-boiled eggs can work just as well (and you have a better reason for carrying them - handy snack, innit).

reply quote

TheBillder replied to brooksby | 1073 posts | 20 min ago
0 likes

brooksby wrote:

0-0 wrote:

Agreed. It's just easier to jam a potato up their exhaust pipe 😉 Who doesn't carry a potato for such an occasion? 😀

I remember reading a book which suggested that hard-boiled eggs can work just as well (and you have a better reason for carrying them - handy snack, innit).

Bananas also alleged to work (source: Beverly Hills Cop so 100% accurate and from the training manual, as is the rest of that film).

reply quote